“xmas”

H10 Lanzarote Princess
Ranked #14 of 37 Hotels in Playa Blanca
Reviewed November 21, 2013

Been here three xmases now, time for a change, like the rooms, food is ok but a bit hit or miss, Xmas and New year gala dinner is always great. great location with a good fish n chip shop round the corner if you fancy a change ha ha.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank AllanDeana
Write a ReviewReviews (5,592)

Reviewed November 20, 2013

I've just spent 10 days at this hotel - I won't be returning. The room was clean, spacious and the beds comfortable. We had a large terrace -very pleasant. Plenty of sunbeds, seating in the lounges and the staff were good.. But oh the dining room -an absolute nightmare - so many guests, such a row; no dress code[ it is after all supposed to be 4*] Children who were allowed to scream and run about; loaded trolleys pushed through, noise from the tossing of plates in clearing area.And over zealous staff moving meals before we had finished [obviously under instructions to get us out of the way fast] And neither my husband ,nor I enjoyed our food. I kept to the soup, which was delicious, a small salad and an ice cream.
The corridors were vacuumed but the carpets are stained and needed a good clean. The price we paid made the holiday good value and the sunshine was great But the dining room needs attention.A thank you to Daniel who patiently helped with my KIndle Wi Fi problem.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Mary G
Reviewed November 19, 2013

Just back for a 6 day stay with half board, this wasn't my original choice as the Bahia Rock was being refurbished, so was offered the Princess with a half board upgrade. The hotel on entering looked really nice but closer inspection showed that it was a faded and jaded in areas. I found the food choices varied but not very hot, very big problem with staff in the restaurant, well lack of actually, had to ask for table to be made up and plates weren't cleared between courses, and noticed furniture was quite grubby. The pool area was ok but the pool had a lot of patches on the bottom, it was quite amusing to watch people put out their towels before going into breakfast, despite notices to say not to reserve sunbeds. My room was spacious and clean, the only problem was the toilet nearly under the sink! The best part of the hotel was Mike's coffee bar, friendly staff, great coffee and yummy cakes, Tiziana and Alejandro who were working in the evenings were very nice and helpful, always had a smile and an "ola".
The location is really good, close to the main shops and restaurants, just a short walk away.
Despite all this I very much doubt I would go to the Princess again.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank 62Penny
Reviewed November 17, 2013 via mobile

I must have been to the Princess over a dozen times since 1987 but not since it has been an all inclusive hotel.I was a little dubious but very pleasantly surprised.
Food was of a high standard bearing in mind that the catering is for hundreds of guests not an a la carte restaurant, and the choice was unbelievable.I didnt mind the short wait for steaks or fish to be cooked to order and the accompaniments were so varied.We were there for nine days and I still didnt get round to trying the freshly made pizzas.We dined at Sakura and really enjoyed the main course but found the skewer starter just too much to eat.Tried Chinese bread for the first time and really liked it.The chocolate truffle desert was to die for.All in all it was a great night which was also included in the "all inclusive"(1 night only).
Mikes coffee bar is a great addition and yes there were queues but it was worth the wait.There were menus in various languages including English which advised which coffees were AI.
We did email hotel prior to our visit to ask if tbere was any possibility of a pool view and were replied to within hours stating that the hotel was fully booked (half term week) but that they would do their best.We did have a pool view and a superb refurbished room.Thank you Lanzarote Princess!
We have read comments about the pool not being cleaned but watched daily a very tall man that you could hardly miss cleaning it early in the morning.
We went to watch the entertainment several times which was of a reasonable standard,after all we were not paying for Moulin Rouge.We also used the piano bar which makes for a relaxing evening with even the waiters joining in the dancing giving it a friendly atmosphere.Most guests did dress up a little and those that didnt "stood out from the crowd"
The only part of the hotel that didnt really impress us was the poolside snack bar..yes there are pigeons waiting to find any uncovered food but feel sure that H10 will soon sort it.To be honest we didnt really find the need to use it as we are probably too old to want hot dogs and burgers when such lovely food was available in the hotel!
The vast majority of staff were extremely friendly and helpful,and we feel that Daniel who seems to have worked his way up the ladder,deserves a special mention for his cheerfulness and helpfulness at a very busy time.
All in all we had a great time and feel that we got exceptional value for money.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Dave1ben
lnz_hlp, BOOKING DEPARTMENT at H10 Lanzarote Princess, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2013

Dear client,

Thank you very much for your comments about our H10 Lanzarote Princess.

We feel very happy knowing that you have enjoyed your stay in the hotel, and your opinion exhibit the best gratification to our daily effort.

We hope to welcome you again!

Yours sincerely,

Virginia Peyrano

Reviewed November 15, 2013

I have just returned from holiday staying at this hotel, we have been to this hotel twice a year for the last 11 years, this has been the worse visit we have had. I would like to give an honest opinion, with some back ground information about the hotel, so sorry if it is a bit long, but I hope it helps. We have a h10 grand class loyalty card, one of the ‘perks’ is you can request a room, as usual we emailed the hotel, we received the usual ready prepared response from Stephanie Killian from customer services, which always says the same thing that the hotel is full but they will do their best, (the email I sent was a month in advance so her response didn’t make any sense) but it went very wrong. The reception area has recently had a refit and is kept clean and tidy, which on arrival looks promising, however one reviewer called it the walk of gloom to the room which is spot on, the corridors were shabby and dirty, filthy carpets full of stains (see photo’s). Then we get to our room 311 which was nothing like we requested, in fact I was certain it was a single room, with another bed stuck in, ripped fittings and the sink over hung the toilet, getting on was an art form! It was a broom cupboard stuck high up in the rafters. Our view from the balcony was a building site and a rubbish skip, two cement mixers started first thing and kept going all day, stuff being thrown into the skip, beer & supplies delivered none stop. The view as we left the room was Perspex roof tiles cracked with rubbish and fag ends strewn everywhere. In the stairwell there is a door with a broken handle that does not close and led out onto an open roof with a small parapet, heaven help it if a child gets up there, and the fire escape at the bottom of the three flights of stairs was rusted shut (photos provided). I politely asked to be moved and was told we could not move until Thursday (we arrived Sunday), this wasn’t true as people arrived on days in between. The move was not straight forward as we were given wrong information, but we were happy we were moving, and we could sort of see the sea. I asked the reception why we couldn’t have a room nearer our request, she again gave the readymade excuse the hotel was full, (we didn’t want anything special just not to be over the tennis courts or a building site), the staff were talking to each other in Spanish and I had the impression they were being mean about me. The main restaurant can be chaos, they have a new restaurant manger Antonio, to replace the dreadful Monika that was there in March. Some nights you had to wait to be seated, others you had to find your own, which is very confusing, it would be better one way or another, we asked three of the staff why this was and no one seemed to know why. We managed after a hunt to find a table, but no one arrived to give us cutlery etc, after twenty mins we asked Antonio if we could be served and he became very cross and slapped our things down, it was just like Fawltey Towers! Others weren’t so lucky, they were standing with plates of food looking around for a table. It’s no wonder the staff can be grumpy, the restaurant is badly under staffed, we have never seen so few workers before. The restaurant waiter informed us the Spanish holidays were ending and the temporary staff had been laid off, we have notice as others have mentioned Spanish guests are treated so much better than other nationalities. My husband went to reception to complain about the service only to find a queue of other unhappy guests doing the same. The food mostly was luke warm, but to be fair they do have a varied selection for all tastes including veal, liver, rabbit, swordfish, shellfish, pollock, sushi, often chicken, kebab meat and Tuna, pasta for those that like it every night and the sweet/ dessert table seemed popular, however please avoid the ice cream scoops a after use they are replaced back into filthy water which isn’t changed, it’s disgusting, and also there are not enough serving tongs, guests used the same tongs for different dishes, I was concerned about cross contamination. One lady put something in her mouth then spat it onto the plate, she went to see the waiter to show him what was wrong, I don’t know what it was but it made her keep trying to clean her mouth with water. I am surprised at the lack of food probing, some of the food was replaced quite quickly, but food temperatures should be checked periodically, I noticed a rice and clam dish was out for 40 mins, very dangerous. Also the flies, I went to get some pizza from the new bakery bar and declined when I saw three flies on there. We did notice the hand sanitizer as you went in to the restaurant but I thought they were making an effort, it was only when we returned and read the trip advisor, were we aware there was a virus. One reviewer on the trip advisor mentioned some didn’t bother using the wash and there was a notice in the lift warning guests, we were on the opposite side of the hotel and never needed to use the lifts, it is not that guests didn’t bother, we didn’t know!. I am very angry that the hotel and our rep didn’t slip a message under the door and plan to complain direct, but it probably will fall on deaf ears. Miguel used to be the Maitre de and is excellent at organising the restaurant why he wasn’t promoted to restaurant manager is beyond us. The new Sukura restaurant serve fusion food and all inclusive and grand class are allowed one free meal, after that you have to pay, it never seems very full and some of the staff go down the main restaurant queue trying to get guests to book a second time. I’m confused by the comment that the pool guys don’t bother cleaning the pool, the two pool guys Mallick & Ahmed (brothers from Senegal they are both dressed in white), start at 5 am and finish at 11 am, then come back at 5 to tidy away, the pool is cleaned before people are about and my husband is up and about at 7 am – that’s a lie in for him, he says that they work very hard. I have seen the maintenance staff and also the lifeguard messing about and getting leaves and bits out, could it be mistaken identity? Ahmed occasionally stays to do some maintenance at the back of the hotel but not often. The animacion team have also been down sized, now only three which actually was much better, and the children’s pirate ship was popular, they have moved the play area from where Mick’s coffee shop now stands and have built a lovely big toad stood house, be careful though if you have children, as it is next to the gate which is used all the time and it leads onto a very busy road. Every day the same boring sun care advisor does her rounds, she is not as she claims employed by the hotel, she is there to sell her products and should not be approaching people on their sunbed to flog it, most annoying. The Piano Bar has also had a refit and is now called the ‘Vintage Bar’, very appropriate they have high backed chairs now that they have in elderly care homes, the bar could do with bar stools, they have them in the pictures on their website. In there our bill was different every time, we just wanted two normal gin and tonics, local was fine, we didn’t need Gordons or Schwepps, it’s never been a problem before but this time we were never asked or given a choice, one of the staff told us Larios gin wasn’t local! I mentioned this to Daniel who said just take the receipt to show them what you want? Just to mention if anyone drinks Carlos 1 brandy be warned it has doubled in price in the last 6 months, it is now 8.90 euros a small shot, rip off (for those that go all inclusive you can only have local brands, apparently Carlos 1 isn’t local either????) rubbish. There is a lovely young women from the UK called Gabrielle and two young Dutch women (I didn’t manage to get their names) who were very efficient and so kind and friendly and they gave us the correct bill, sadly these girls are placement students and won’t be there for long. The nights these women were on, service was ok, if they weren’t well they wait and service was a disgrace, the women called Doubville was very rude, old or young she made it known if you wanted to be served you would have to walk the length of a very long bar and go to her to be served, although she managed to walk down to serve three young good looking guys and have a laugh and joke with them, if she worked for me she would be sacked. The hotel now have quite a few low paid placement workers, who work very hard, and are very polite and chatty, it is sad though very few of the regular faces that we used to see are still there. We decided to eat one lunchtime in the pool bar or ‘Choza’ as it’s known it was disgusting the chairs are covered in dove droppings and are flying around dropping dirt and eating off the serving hatches and tables, netting needs to be put across the thatched roof to keep them out and a perhaps a partition door, this is also a problem when you are on a sunbed, my clothes and towel were dropped on most days, people moved the beds not to stop others getting near them but to try and avoid getting droppings on them! Another grand class perk is an invite for a meal, this is usually on a white card sent to your room. We didn’t receive ours so we mentioned this to Daniel who gave us the invite, it was a blue card which the hotel used to use. We tried to use it but the staff wouldn’t serve us, I went to see Erik who informed me the card was invalid as they don’t use that style of card anymore, I’m not sure where he thought I had got it from, then said to me, ‘I believe you as I have seen you here before’ how condescending and embarrassing, next time they should just check the database. The Hotel under the old manager Gonzalez was delightful, clean, efficiently run, great service and friendly, which is why a lot of people have returned year after year. They had two excellent bar managers who supervised the staff but 3 years ago h10 made them all redundant with immediate effect (some had been working there for over 20 years) and merged jobs. Looking at some reviews people seem to think Daniel is the hotel manager, he is a little fellow with a permanent smile, he is the Public Relations Assistant, he has a great smile and a big heart but nothing gets resolved. David Cata was appointed new manager/ director and Erik Von Dorp is now the assistant manager, the hotel in our opinion has since slowly declined, the changes haven’t been for the better. After three years I finally saw David Cata in the bar, I have to say I was supprised at his appearance, he was wearing a creased blue shirt and no tie, all the staff are made to wear uniform, and the supervisors male or female wear black jackets and ties. They used to have a dress code for guests in the restaurant but this has lapsed, now I understand why if the manager can’t be bothered. I do think the introduction of all inclusive 18 months ago has also had an effect, I don’t understand why all inclusive people keep having to sign or give the room number every time they get something I have never seen that in any of the hotels we have stayed at? The initial appearance of the hotel is all they seem to care about when you move away from that you see a different side, good luck if you book this place under this management, I’m not sure who is writing the positive reviews. We usually book direct and the price of the hotel has gone up £500 in the last 6 months, but the standards have declined, it would be lucky to make 3 star in the UK, we will not pay £2,000 plus for half board at this hotel, there are better hotels around Playa Blanca, And finally (you may be glad about that) back to the room change we were having a glass of wine on the balcony of our room 2034 and noticed a horrendous smell and had to go in and close the door, some days it was fine depending which way the wind was blowing, then we noticed opposite was a concrete box about 6 x6 ft, fluid & stuff glistening in the sun and bobbing about in the breeze, you guessed it, the hotel cesspit! I understand Lanzarote is a volcanic island and they have no drains as such but I do think perhaps the hotel could have a cover over the top of this. Well we did ask to move!!! Sorry it’s been long but it’s an accurate review a copy of which is being sent to Jordi Espelt, Managing Director of Corporación H10 Hotels, S.L Corporate Headquarters Numància, 185 1º Barcelona, Catalonia 08034 Spain & the Spanish Tourist Office. I hope this helps.

Room Tip: not room 311
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
50  Thank Rainbow250
Reviewed November 15, 2013

Just got back from a 1 week all inclusive stay, and we really enjoyed it. Having read a lot of negative reviews I was a bit concerned but I needn't have been. I've never stayed here before so cant really say if it's gone down hill. It was looking a bit rough around the edges as it is quite an old hotel but a lot of work seems to be being done to keep up the standards. Our room was like new. Food was good with plenty of variety. OK some of it was luke warm but with this help yourself buffet style sort of thing isn't it always. Drinks were good with lots of name brands. Plenty of sunbeds around the pools but no little tables which was unusual. The evening entertainment was above average, I especially liked the guitar legends. Staff were very friendly and helpful. All in all it's not super posh but it's pretty damn good.

Room Tip: We had a room above the entertainment room and it was noisy between 10 and midnight. So avoid these...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank mike h
Reviewed November 12, 2013

I have just come back from a weeks stay and was not particularly impressed. Our room was on the ground floor,a family room apparently (It was all Thomas Cook could offer us). I am so glad it was only my partner and I with no children because the other bed was a shabby pull out sofa bed. Inside the wardrobe was dirty, one of the power points was dangerous and to top it it was beside the sofa bed! The only lights were beside the bed., no ceiling ones so it was dimly lit. The bathroom was absolutely desperate for a makeover with a rusty bath and if you were to open the over bath shower door too quickly it would have probably shattered after hitting the sink unit., again I am glad we had no children with us. The cleaners didn't do a very good job at all. When we arrived the floor felt greasy so we had to walk carefully. The outside area was cleaned only the once while we were there., there were over hanging trees so leaves all over. The room smelt damp which I think was due to no ventilation at all in the bathroom. The staff on reception were approachable and helpful. None of the other staff even acknowledged us at all. The dining room was always busy., staff not friendly but worked very hard so prob had no time. The food was the same as every hotel abroad...only soso., don't expect too much! One very good thing I noticed each morning was the pool being checked and thoroughly cleaned :-). We hired a car from the company inside the Hotel and had no problems at all so if you are considering it then I would recommend them. Thomas Cook didn't put the time for our return coach on the board even tho they insisted they had and we nearly missed our return flight., very sloppy of them.i couldn't comment on the bar at the Hotel because we were half board and went off sight if we wanted a drink. The beach is nice enough and for 3 euro you can have a lounger for the day. We went on the ferry to fuerto one day., quite expensive in my opinion when fuerto didn't seem to have much to see. A trip round the volcano was an experience worth doing, we went with the car we hired and it saved us about 56 euro. For a beautiful sunset go toward El Golfo., there are plenty of places to park and watch the sun go down over the sea, no bus service there so only able to do with car. Our hire car cost 87 euro for 3 days which was good value but if we went again I would only have it for 2 because the island is only small.!

• Stayed: November 2013
Gran Castillo Tagoro Family & Fun
H10 Sentido White Suites
H10 Sentido White Suites
#6 of 37 in Playa Blanca

Been to H10 Lanzarote Princess? Share your experiences!