“beautiful resort”

Ranked #14 of 37 Hotels in Playa Blanca
n.ireland
“beautiful resort”
Reviewed October 10, 2012

my husband aand i have had two lovely hols in lanzarote prinncess it is a brill hotel and food to die for staff was more than kind which makes your stay enjoyable the beach is only a short stoll down the resoort it self was so pretty and clean
will go back early next year

Room Tip: ask for a reforbished room looking over pool as they are lovely
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank tomrice
lnz_hlp, BOOKING DEPARTMENT at H10 Lanzarote Princess, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Dear client,

Thank you very much for your comments about our H10 Lanzarote Princess.

We feel very happy knowing that you have enjoyed your stay in the hotel, and your opinion exhibit the best gratification to our daily effort.

We hope to welcome you again!

Virginia Peyrano

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,286)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Mirfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 6, 2012

Returned from yet another holiday at the Lanzarote Princess on the 4th October. As always the staff were pleasant and helpful. The new coffee bar and A La Carte restaurant are good additions to the hotel The refurbished reception and piano bar look really great and we loved the colours of the soft furnishing.
We have never had any complaints regarding the food and found the selection just as good on this visit. Must be a very difficult job to cater for visitors from so many countries. We could always find something we liked at every meal. If you want English food then stay in the UK for your holiday.
As always our suite was ready when we arrived and cleaned to a very high standard every day and we always had new towels whenever we needed them. We cant fault the maids. Special thanks to Edith who is an asset to the hotel.
Playa Blanca is a lovely place to have a holiday. It is clean and tidy and doesnt have the usual loud musuc belting out from lots of nightclubs. If you fancy a change from hotel food there are lots of lovely restaurants along the seafront. The walk along the seafront takes about 20 minutes to the Rubicon Marina and well worth the effort. The market is held there on Wednesday and Saturday. If you are feeling more energetic try walking in the other direction past the harbour and all the way to the lighthouse! If that has tired you out you can always catch the local no 30 bus back to the hotel. Think it cost us 1.20 euros and you can go all round the area for the same price.
Dont listen to the moaners. Where in the UK could you get a sunshine holiday for a similar price? Believe me we have tried and spent more for two weeks in the cold miserable weather than what the whole holiday package to the Princess cost.
The hotel is in a lovely position and the pool area is always clean and tidy. We watched the pool men clean the pools and surrounding area most mornings from our balcony.Plenty of sun beds for everyone. Give the Princess a try and you wont be disappointed.
Looking forward to our next holiday at the Princess.

22 Thank jandm51
Dear client,

Thank you for your nice comments and for having chosen our hotel to enjoy your last holiday in Lanzarote.

We feel very happy knowing that we have complied with your expectations about the different aspects of the Hotel like the food, the room and the location.

northern ireland
Reviewed September 30, 2012 via mobile

Hi,

We returned from H10 Lanzarote Princess on 20th September having stayed there for 7 nights.

On arrival we were welcomed with a lovely glass of cava, as we arrived early our room was not ready so the receptionist took our bags and we went out a walk for lunch (to cafe aroma, which I highly recommend).

On return we were given our room, which was very spacious and clean but not the best view. we stayed half board.

We them went to sort out a mini fridge and safe, the receptionist told us that the fridge would be €2.50 per night or for a week we could pick drinks worth €25 and get it for free, so we took this option.

I think we were expecting too much from the buffet food, but by then end of the week we had a laugh about it. We like to eat early but they don't start serving until 7pm, well you should see the queue, it's like dinner time at the oaps care home, and they would nearly knock you over trying to get in the door:))

Maid was lovely and everyday we gave her some chocolate and gave her a tip on the last day.

Pool area, sun beds were comfortable (have lay on worse) but as always people put towels down really early and don't appear until lunchtime!

Don't know his name but the bar man with glasses in the piano bar could be more pleasant.

Mikes coffee shop was lovely.

Free Wifi in reception a big plus.

All in all a good hotel

Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank marmarisno1fan
lnz_hlp, BOOKING DEPARTMENT at H10 Lanzarote Princess, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
Dear client,

Thank you very much for your comments about our H10 Lanzarote Princess.

We hope to welcome you again!

Norwich
Reviewed September 29, 2012

My third visit to the Princess. A bit dated but comfortable and easy like your favourite slippers. Friendly, helpful and flexible staff. Recently refurbished communal areas a bonus. Family friendly pool areas. Fairly spacious, comfortable rooms, if you get a reburished one. Ask for a refurbished room, and for a pool/sea facing room for decent view from your balcony. Buffet style restaurant can be a scrum at busy times, and would benefit from update, but it is adequate and straight forward. Food is variable, but usually ok. Best thing is the location. 5 minutes to Playa Dorada (white sand beach) and to the pleasant town centre with lovely prom walk, one direction to Marina Rubicon, and the other direction taking you past a range of other, perhaps more glamorous hotels. I might not rush back after 3 visits already, but if I need a reliable break in the sun The Princess remains on my list of potentials.

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbished room with a pool view. Non pool views look out over barren landscape.
2 Thank Ian W
Dear client,

Thank you for your nice comments and for having chosen our hotel to enjoy your last holiday in Lanzarote, and for your loyalte in our H10.

Reviewed September 25, 2012 via mobile

At this time of year the hotel resembles an old feeds home, rather than a hotel, the proliferation of medical aids is only matched by the height at which the 'comfortable slacks' are worn by the elderly male guests
The room was clean and comfortable and only let down by the four missing slats on one bed and the need to repair two others on the other bed before it could be used (why aren't these things checked?). The room cleaning and bed & towel changes were fine
The staff are great, attentive but not overly so, and always friendly. I sensed that some areas (especially the bars) seemed to be undermanned, and there was a definite tension in the air on a couple of occasions with words being exchanged between bar staff. I had the feeling the employees definitely put a shift in when they're on duty
The food was good (except in the Sakhura restaraunt, where it was lousy). We were AI so the buffet ballet was a daily dance we became used to. The choice & quality of the fare on offer was ok, there were a lot of flies around the fruit and desserts, so they were given a miss
The major let down was the pool. Apart from a really annoying suntan lotion saleswoman using a megaphone around the pool most mornings (what the hell is that about in a 4 * hotel?) the pool water was disgusting. There appeared to be no active,sub surface,pool cleaning, or use of a filtration system and the surface of the water was liberally covered in bird feathers (from the annoying flocks of pigeons), leaves, insects and an oily suntan lotion scum, depending on the wind, this mess generally gathered at one end of the pool and was not nice
I'm not saying the pool wasn't cleaned, every morning a chap appeared and sprayed a mysterious substance around the pool rim, he then half heartedly scrubbed it (just the rim) before finishing off with a fishing net to oik out the rubbish. That was all the attention the pool received during the day
The general condition of the pool is poor, it looks tired, the surface, both below and above water, is broken in places and worn and the water is not clear.The poolside showers are ineffectual, which is a shame, as you really need them following an immersion
I left the pool after one swim covered in so many bird feathers I could have flown back to the sunbed (ok, slight exaggeration, but the wife was picking them, and other peoples hair off me)We didn't use the pool for the final 3 days of the holiday
We thoroughly enjoyed Lanzarote and our holiday, thanks to the hard working staff for making it a nice stay (pool boy excepted)

• Stayed September 2012
3 Thank Moodybarst
Dear client,

Thank you very much for having chosen our hotel for spend your holidays in Lanzarote.

We take note of your opinions and we would like to thank you because these comments help to improve the quality of our service and give us the possibility to change any mistakes that have been made.

We hope to welcome you again in our hotel.

Skegness, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 25, 2012

With bags packed and the promise from Thomson holidays of a memorable holiday at the Lanzarote Princess hotel we eagerly trek our way to Doncaster Robin Hood airport for our flight to Lanzarote, this is a wonderful small airport, very clean and very efficient.
Our bags checked, and in the airport lounge we await our flight via Thomson airlines. Everything is going well flight on time and we arrive in Lanzarote airport and locate our transfer to the hotel, the transfer is around 40 mins so when we arrived at the hotel it was around 10-45pm on Sunday the 9/9/2012, so far so good, we check in and are given keys for our two rooms ,
2057 and 2058 these are situated on the second floor of the hotel and are meant to be adjoining rooms next door to each other.

Keys in hand reception inform us there is food waiting in the dining room for us as our first meal of our package deal, this was a welcome gesture as it had been a long afternoon and a spot of supper before bed sounded really good so of to the dining room before going to our rooms with my partner and two children we eagerly trek.
The meal laid on was not quite what we ever imagined it could be, it was in the form of a buffet and quite obviously this was food left over from the earlier evenings meal. The buffet consisted of hard bread that would make great construction material for any building project, dried and curling meats that would make great patching for any leather couch with a rip, and cheese that would put any rubber power ball to shame.
As you can probably appreciate the appeal of this was less than appetising so we decided to head for our rooms.

Up to the second floor we wearily head, only to find that the two rooms we have booked are not next to each other, we are located on the corner apex of the hotel with a lift shaft and staff room between the two rooms.
Being tired and late we decide to head to bed, I look around the room to try and find some water to drink, but there is none available , I thought housekeeping had missed this so I decide to head to bed and raise these issues in the morning.

Morning comes and where up bright and early ready to start our holiday, we decide to grab breakfast first, for those of you who maybe contemplating staying here the food leaves quite a lot to be desired, the bacon at breakfast resembles meat from an anaemic fat over weight pig with the meat content at a 10/1 ratio with the fat, the sausages bounce and require expert stone mason skills to cut them and the overall heat of the mass produced offering is lukewarm at best, but I have to give the hotel one thing, they were consistent in this offering all week, but as most seasoned travellers like myself know, when we are hungry enough we will at times eat paltry food just to fill the void in our bellies.

Over breakfast I had an interesting conversation with another gentleman traveller staying here at the hotel, and his comments were quite colourful and graphic regarding the food and the lack of basic amenities like fresh drinking water. From my conversation it transpires that if you are staying half board like ourselves basic amenities like drinking water are not available and I confirmed this later on during our stay, and I will explain this a little more later.
Despite being disappointed with breakfast I did enjoy the conversation with the gentleman traveller as his way of describing the service he had received and his comparison to the time he had spent in Wormwood Scrubs at her Majesty's the queens request (Prison) added humour to breakfast.
He pointed out that while in prison he could get fresh drinking water at any time he required it (I have to paraphrase this part he said because it kind of gave me a giggle, " without being ripped a new [--] and bled dry").
At this stage I thought he was possibly being over harsh on the hotel so I put it aside and headed for reception.

This is now where the whole experience starts to go rapidly downhill.
I required the use of the safe in our room as any traveller knows, a safe place for your passport and money is a must, reception was busy so I decided to leave the questions of the water and our rooms until we had everything safely put away and attended the Thomson meeting so I could meet our rep and raise not just the issue about drinking water but the other issue we found when we looked out our window for our pool view.
We initially had booked rooms with a pool view only to find the view we had resembled that of a micro rainforest that obscures any views of the pool or sea.

Reception obliged with a key for the safe and subsequently charged me for the privilege which was fine, so back to the room to put all our valuables away, key in safe and it won't turn, so I think to myself I must be having mental blockage , my PHD In Electronics design obviously didn't cover the insertion of a key into a lock and turning it, so just to make sure I re-read the safe instructions to make sure there were no funky design quirks to inserting a key in the safe, sure enough my reading skills confirmed I was performing this operation correctly, so back down to reception and the lady confirmed I had been given the wrong key.
(For those of you that are contemplating staying at this hotel please bear in mind that some of the rooms are a long walk from reception and the corridors do not all have effective air conditioning) Feeling relieved that my intellect was still intact, back I head back with the new key, arrive at room, insert key in safe and guess what, it won't turn.
Back down to reception again and starting to feel a tad frustrated, the lady on reception promises to get someone to come to the room to resolve it and asks me to go back to the room and wait. An hour passes and still no one comes, so I call reception, and the lady tells me I have to go down to reception again to book someone to come to the room, I explain to her that I had already done that and she insists that I return to reception and bring my key for the safe. Get down to reception again with my frustration level somewhat elevated, the lady asks to look at my key and then informs me I have the wrong key for the safe in my room and then gives me another key, of I go, mumbling profanities under my breath and feeling somewhat hot and bothered, get back to my room and the key still does not work. At this time I now resemble the look of a beet root with steam emitting from various orifices, back down to reception and with a firmer approach I express disdain at the morning events and she assures me that the matter will be resolved and someone will be in my room with me shortly, half an hour later a member of staff turns up at the room only to inform me the safe is fine and then gives me the correct key.

The long and short of this is that this episode took up all Monday morning and by the time it was resolved lunch was being served, I missed the meeting with our appointed Thomson rep, lost the whole morning, was frustrated by the whole event and did not receive an apology from any member of staff, I found some of the reception staff abrupt and discourteous, and I had still not been able to resolve the issues of our rooms or the lack of fresh drinking water.
With the first half of my day wasted I decided to leave the issue of the rooms and spend time with my partner and family and take this up with reception the next day.

Tuesday morning approach reception and I am abruptly told that the issue of the rooms has to be addressed by our Thomson rep, so I explain to reception I was unable to do this because of the incident with the safe and requested if they could contact the rep for me. They refused to do so and said I would have to contact him myself, they would not even give me contact details for him.
I then brought up the issue of no fresh drinking water, I pointed out that in every hotel I have stayed in all over the world drinking water has always been made available free of charge, they informed me that this is not the H10 policy unless you are fully inclusive. Travellers who are contemplating using either Thomson or any of the H10 group hotels should bear this in mind as this was not explained when we booked the holiday, there are no facilities here in the hotel such as vending machines or room service after 12-00am to get water or other beverages, at best if your lucky you may be able to beg water from staff at reception if your lucky, also there are no facilities for keeping water or other drinks cool in your rooms unless you pay extra for a fridge, and drinks within the hotel are extortionate, I will give one example, a 200 ml bottle of Coke will cost 2.40 euro, if you go out of the hotel a normal sized 330ml bottle will cost 1-10 euro. One of the problems with the island is that you cannot drink the tap water here as it is desalinated water and not fresh, because the temperatures here regularly get 30 c and above, the hotel are holding people to ransom and creating a health and safety risk factor to the guests.

I decide to look around the hotel and ask various guests if they have seen the Thomson rep, I locate the desk for Thomson in the foyer but are unable to find our rep and after speaking with my partner we decide to try and make the best of the holiday and take the issues up with Thomson on our return.
One of our reasons for booking half board rather than full was not to be tied to the hotel for all our meals as we wanted to go exploring the island, so we did this Tuesday afternoon and Wednesday and for all you people reading this there are some really neat places to see and I would recommend the camel rides and visit to the volcano park.

Wednesday we had a full day of sight seeing and returned to our hotel room around 11-00pm, totally wiped out but really enjoyed the day out.
We instate ourselves in bed and get settled but at 12-30 loud music starts playing from the staff room next to our room with various young men and women frolicking with each other, some only partially clothed, this continued until after 2-30am. Some of you may ask how do I know they were partially clothed, well the staff room has a window that faces directly onto our balcony that had no curtains drawn and the window open. I decide to go down to reception to inform them and try to get a drink from the night staff who did kindly give me a glass of water, there were no management available so Thursday morning I asked to speak to someone in management and was introduced to Erik one of the managers.

I explained the evenings issues with the staff room and initially he denied there was even a room between ours and it took for him to look at a map of the hotel to even accept this, he promised he would look into this and could I see him the next morning.

Friday came and my meeting with Erik did not materialise as Erik was not available, however I did manage to catch Erik later in the morning and Erik confirmed that staff had been present in the staff room and he did apologise verbally for there actions and assured me it would not happen again. I decided to raise some of the other issues with Erik but his interest in them was blaze at best and he did not want to even offer a formal written apology or a formal complaint form for the hotel, at this point I decided to text the Thomson Travel Buddy helpline.

This was listed on our holiday information (82345 helpline text number), I explained where we were staying and requested that they get our rep to contact us, this was at 1-45pm, they informed me that our rep was unavailable as it was our reps day off, however they did give me our reps name (Dean), I spent all afternoon and 7 text messages for them to agree to get Dean to contact me when he was back on duty at 6-45pm that evening in the hotel.

I decided to wait in the hotel foyer from 6-30pm as I had made a surprise dinner reservation for my partner at a local restaurant for 8-0pm, I waited until 7-25 pm and had received no contact from Dean and decided to text the helpline again, I received no reply from the helpline and decided to sit at the Thomson desk in the foyer of the hotel and at 7-45pm Dean turned up at the desk, I asked Dean why he had not contacted me and he informed me that he had not been asked to contact me, however while I was chatting with him he did receive a call from the helpline people and he confirmed, that was the first contact they had made with him regarding my texts, and the facts contained within them about the issues I had with the hotel, (copies of all my texts to the helpline are available for anyone who would like to read them as well as photos to support the context of all of this text).

Dean did explain to me that the helpline can text him at any time even when he is of duty but they failed to do this.

I outlined the major and further minor issues (broken chairs with sharp edges around the pool area and in the pool bar that could easily collapse or slice peoples legs, if they brush against them with bare skin, the poor food quality, lack of cleanliness regarding discarded cigarette butts because of the lack of ashtrays, crumbling masonry on certain exterior areas of the hotel and turned up edges of rugs within the bar area that I had seen
3 people stumble over), to Dean and he then went to speak with Erik ( Management on duty).

After speaking with Eric he returned and then asked me to join him and Erik at reception, Erik confirmed and verbally apologised for the issues I had raised but was still adamant blaming his management for the lack of basics like water for anyone who did not book full board (all inclusive).
By the time we had concluded this meeting it was past 8-30pm and I had missed our dinner reservation, both my partner and I were thoroughly disheartened and we ordered room service for her children and decided to hit bed.

Saturday Morning ( early hours )
12-30am staff start using the staff room next to our room and wake us again, (at least they didn't play the loud music this time) this continued until 2-00am when they finally left the staff room.
I again complained to the front desk and texted the Thomson help line asking for Dean our rep to contact us, only to be told that he would not be available until Sunday at 10-30 am.

Sunday ( Last day of our holiday) , we pack and are ready to go, we meet up with Dean our rep and he takes a couple of photos of the chairs in the pool bar and apologises for all the hassle we have had and suggests we put in a further formal complaint on our return to the UK.
We put our luggage in the storage area and wait for our bus for the airport, the hotel offer us a courtesy room to shower in prior to our return journey which was much appreciated, as we had to vacate our room by 12 and our bus didn't arrive until 6-45 pm.
We only had use of the courtesy room for 30 mins from 6pm to 6-30pm but this would have been long enough to get a quick shower.
We collect our key from reception head to the room only to find that the hotel has added the final insult to injury.

The room they sent us to was filthy and disgusting, crisps all over the floor, bins full of dirty nappies, used towels strewn all over, even the bidet in the the bathroom was full of dirty towels with the bath and sink covered in shaved pubic hairs.
We decided at this point not to shower as we felt that we would have come out with a serious hygiene issue.
At this stage we decided to just leave and head home.

To summarise the experience of this holiday, we feel Thomson and the management of the hotel have let us down badly, up to now we have had no response from Thomson regarding our complaint. The sad thing about this is that with good management and a little tlc at the hotel, the hotel could be a fantastic place to stay. It is situated in an ideal location and with a little work on the hotel it could be made into a 4 star hotel and not the current 2 star that I feel it is.
Thomson holidays need to rectify the problems with their helpline and instruct their staff not to blatantly lie to people who contact them when they have a problem, we all know that occasionally things go wrong and we can accept this when people take responsibility and make amends.

Yours Faithfully

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
15 Thank Clive D
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 24, 2012

My self and my partner have just come back sept 2012 from a week long break AI at this hotel, we are both aged 26 and had a fantastic time. In fact we would rate this hotel the best all around for everything, and yes we have stayed in 5 stars before so can compre.We felt we had to write a review as the negative reviews written about this hotel are unfair! Right where to start, on arrival we were greeted by lovely reception staff, and were checked in quickly about 2 minutes, we were given one on the newly refurbished rooms but not with the modern furniture, but being young we wanted one of the new modern rooms, which they showed us, it was lovely but not as big as a first room, so we stayed in our first room. So dont assume you want a newly furbished room, we much prefered our older fashioned much bigger room, room 058. The room was fantastic, large bathroom, large sofa bed, large living space, plasma telly on the wall and 2 large double wardrobes. The whole hotel was lovely and clean, and the pool area was lovely with a restaurant that served help yourself food and ice cream throughout the day, lunchtime you can either eat there or the main restaurant, there is a pool bar that serves from 10.00 am in the morning. Would advise get early to reserve sun beds with an umberella, or if you were like us, sun worshippers you do not need to reserve a bed. The restuarant served a very big variety of foods and even do show cooking every lunch time and evenning, with most evennings being a theme night, tapas, mexican, chinese, italian. I would highly recommend the mexican and tapas, as the food was amazing. As for the Shakura resturant, where you can each once for every week you stay, the food was out of this world, better than any chinese restaurant I have eaten in. The staff in the hotel were always friendly and helpful, I would agree they are under staffed, although the entertainment staff are fab, you know all the daily entertainment and are very friendly and work very hard. The location of the hotel is the best, as your in the middle, walk one way and you walk to a really posh marina and walk the other way and you walk along a strip of lovely bars, restaurants and shops. This hotel is a 2-3 minute walk from a lovely beach. The hotel offers excellent facilities for children. Had FANTASTIC holiday and want to return in future as the hotel is lovely, also my boyfriend proposed when we were there, and the hotel did not charge us for the botel of champgane he ordered.Please do not read the negative reviews and be put off, this hotel is lovely!!!

6 Thank Rebecca6255
lnz_hlp, BOOKING DEPARTMENT at H10 Lanzarote Princess, responded to this review, September 25, 2012

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Blanca
Sol Lanzarote All Inclusive
Sol Lanzarote All Inclusive
#28 of 92 in Puerto Del Carmen
Gran Castillo Tagoro Family & Fun Playa Blanca

Been to H10 Lanzarote Princess? Share your experiences!