“Princess was a good experience for us”

H10 Lanzarote Princess
Ranked #12 of 37 Hotels in Playa Blanca
Waterford, Ireland
“Princess was a good experience for us”
Reviewed October 16, 2011

Prior to my departure for Lanzarote, I was aprehensive as I took the negative reviews at face value and believeable. I tried to balance the negatives with all the positives which totally outnumbered the negatives.At my weeks stay, end, I am afraid I will wholeheartdly, have to side with the positives. We were greeted by very friendly reception staff who could not do enough for us. The catering staff, ditto. I will admit that the service staff in the dining room were under pressure and seemed to lack motivation. I noticed though on Thursday that a large number of , obviously, returning visitors were greeted by the waiting staff with smiles,hugs and kisses. Seems some are happy. I have stayed in a large number of hotels in my many years travelling and while H10 princess would not be in my top 5, it is certainly in my top 10, 3 star rated. We enjoyed a nice un-refurbished room at 2053 which was clean and fresh. The corridoors definitely needed sprucing up somewhat but overall we really enjoyed our first experience and will definitely return. We do not get worked up for a cold chip being on the plate or the wine temperature a half degree lower than recommended or a spot of dust on the floor, or a salt cellar cover , loose. We get that at home also and we live in a lovely home. Even the head chef in my home sometimes makes a less than average meal. Not knocking the knockers but sometimes I feel that people demand 5 star treatment for 2 star prices. I know that H10 is rated 4 star but certainly the prices are more reflective of 2 start hotel. We will be back. Only negative I will offer and that is not concerning the hotel but a doctor a few metres across the road who totally ripped us off and great care should be taken that he is avoided. Use the NHS service which is free and professional.

Room Tip: Go third floor in centre.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank onlyme67

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,311)
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 15, 2011

My family and I stayed here in September this year and I really don’t know where to start because it was such a terrible hotel!
On arrival everything seemed fine, as we walked to our room I noticed the decor was so tired though with stained carpets and walls.
The room was ok apart from cigarettes left in the flower bed on the balcony and a toilet that never did flush properly and stunk!
The main thing with this hotel was the lack of service. The staff in the restaurant really didn't care about anyone and were very negligent what with leaving food on the floor which caused my mother to slip on a banana skin!
The staff at the bar were useless, I have never waited so long for a drink!
However the main thing was the rude staff on reception. We had a bit of a problem with our late checkout rooms and I was trying to sort this out with them but they couldn't have cared less about our predicament. Their attitude made me so angry and so the conversation got very heated. The manager ended up shouting at me and told me go stay elsewhere! I've never ever been spoken to like that before, it was disgusting!
We met a few people there who came year after year and they couldn't believe how much the hotel had gone downhill.
Another point is don’t expect a service from the cleaners. They literally make your bed and that’s it! I asked for one of our pillow cases to be changed as none of the bedding had been changed all week and my partner had a cut which had bled on to the pillowcase and this was such an ordeal. We had to wait for it to be washed because they said they had no spare in this huge hotel! Also my sister and mum were in a room next door with a baby and their full bin didn’t even get emptied all week!
All in all we were all really disappointed with this hotel and will not be recommending it to anyone!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank charlies12
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 15, 2011

We are just back from the hotel Lanzarote Princess, we stayed there for one week and we wish it was longer, there is nothing that we can think of to fault this hotel, from the moment we arrived to the moment we left it was great, the weather, the place, the staff, the reps, i could go on and on. What i can say is that we shall return.

Room Tip: our room number was 2130, lovely room
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Gill M
connah;s qyay, north wales
Reviewed October 11, 2011

my mother and aunty have stayed in this hotel many times at the end of september 2011 i went there with my mother for her 80th birthday. My mother was very disappointed in the changes made. All the luxury of the hotel has disappeared. the staff try their best but the hotel needs a lot to be desired.
Room .... infested and not up to the standard that i expect from a 4 star hotel , i have stayed in a 2 / 3 star far more superior,
Toilet that did not smell but stank,
No fitted door on toilet just a swing glass door with a gap all the way around it so you did not get any privacy
Banisters on stairs very shaky
Carpets in hall ways filthy
Dinning room felt more like a canteen
Cash no longer accepted for drinks or meals which when received bill at the end was very expensive
We were transferred to another room which was up to standard but this took a LOT of pushing from myself
Was asked by staff as i was leaving ..would i go back .... replied not as it is
this hotel need serious cleaning and brought up to a 4 star.
The only good thing i can think to say about this hotel is that the location and pool is perfect
Very sorry i did not take a camera with me

Room Tip: rooms starting with a 0
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank linda h
Bromborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 3, 2011

We have stayed here several times over the years and it has been a few years since our last visit. After reading the reviews we were a little concerned but thought the rooms have been upgraded just book it and go with an open mind.

We booked it independently and took advantage of the all inclusive package as we have stayed all inclsuive at its sister hotels.

The new rooms certainly lived up to the photos as did the newly refurbished childrens area from what we saw of them. Our room was on the second floor, 2078, and we were above the Piano Bar. As other people have mentioned these rooms do suffer from noise due to the location. but as it is only a piano and sax playing it is not too offensive, in fact surprisingly pleasant on the ear.This did not bother us as we did have a drink in the bar and if we left to go back to our room we knew it would finish by midnight.

All inclusive - not sure if they are just doing it as a trial period as we still had to sign for everything, even though we had the usual branding of the wrist band. The fact that you could get chilled bottle of water was fab especially as you could pick one up from the bar on the way to bed! The food choice was as varied as always and in fact the Spanish night in our opinion had improved. The bar service at night was the only area that needed improving. The number of staff was not enough for the number of customers. One night there was one member of staff on. We did learn quickly that it was quicker to get served if you sat down in the Piano bar and got waitress service rather than sit at the bar!

Our only negative is that the Piano Bar was very hot and it could do with some air conditioning or even a proper seating area outside. They have started with some patio tables but more comfy seating would be better.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Fiona R
Great Malvern, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 2, 2011

We started off in Room 2130, it looked like it was from the 1980s. after a few days we were moved to room 2001 which was very nice, well decorated and was like the website [hotos. The downside of this room was that until the entertainment finished the room was filled with thumping bass from below.. The hotel was good overall with nice bars and pools and we did have a lovely time, after we had moved rooms (if we didn't want to go to bed before midnight!)

Room Tip: Don't have one of the un=refurbished rooms or one above the entertainment area.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Kingduane
Stoke on Trent
Reviewed September 30, 2011

My wife and I returned yesterday after spending two enjoyable weeks at this hotel on an all inclusive basis which we thought was well worth the extra charge. We are a well travelled pair of wrinklies
The hotel reception is a large open area with the entertainment and piano lounge situated at each side. There is a sweeping staircase leading to the lower ground level, restaurant and pool area. We were allocated room 1074 which was a refurbished room but had two steps from the bath area down to the bedroom. These proved to be dangerous especially in the middle of the night. We requested a move which was sorted the next day. The hotel is quite worn in places but is kept very clean. The restaurant area is more akin to a busy cafeteria with the waiters struggling to clear off the tables at busy times which causes queueing. In the mornings it is common for there to be no cups. There are two drinks dispensing areas but some of the machines were never on during our stay which again caused queueing. The food and variety was generally good both in the restaurant and pool snack bar, if you be a bit adventuress you will be suprised at some of the dishes. There is a large free form pool with plenty of loungers, if youre not bothered about getting up in the morning to bag the best positions there is always somewhere to plonk yourself later on. There is a childrens pool with a galleon and water slide plus a play area. The evening entertainment was a mixture of the animation team and profesional artists and was quite enjoyable. We found all the staff at the hotel to be hard working and pleasant at all times. The hotel is in a very good position about 300 m down to the beach. A 15 minute walk to the Rubicon Marina, 20 minute walk to the port and 10 minute walk to the start of the main pedestrianised shopping area. Overall we would consider this hotel to be more of a 3 star, but would certainly return again. We thought the resort was very pleasant whith a nice mixture of bars and restaurants. We went to fuerteventura on the small ferry (20 euros each) but didnt think it was worth going. Car hire is reasonable and there are plenty of organized trips arround the island.

Room Tip: Some pool side rooms have there views obstructed by large trees. Its quite a long walk from the rece...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Gran Castillo Tagoro Family & Fun Playa Blanca
Hesperia Lanzarote
Hesperia Lanzarote
#2 of 4 in Puerto Calero

Been to H10 Lanzarote Princess? Share your experiences!