“Excellent Family Hotel”

Sandos Papagayo Beach Resort
Ranked #11 of 37 Hotels in Playa Blanca
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed April 23, 2009

This is a great all-inclusive hotel with something for everyone. The general areas and reception desk are very welcoming, clean and spacious. Our family room in Block D overlooked the children's pool and was spacious and adequate. The Animation Team had a good schedule of activities including football matches for the boys. They also had Wii competitions just off the Main bar area. Lots of outdoor pools with freezing cold water - great in the middle of summer. If you crave a white, sandy beach then head for Playa Blanca/Playa Dorada on the hotel's courtesy bus. The Hotel's main restaurant served up a variety of delicious food and towards the end of the dining area, opens out to the Italian restaurant which proved popular with our son as he loves Pizza. The 24hr Snack Bar is great for burgers, sausages, and drinks. Again a great hit with the kids as they could help themselves whenever they were hungry. As with other reviews, the Pancakes at 4pm should not be missed. Just a few small gripes. As mentioned in previous reviews the evening entertainment is so bad you had to laugh. They could do with sprucing up the stage area with Stage scenery. If you like coffee TAKE YOUR OWN SUPPLY as the coffee tastes like "Camp" coffee - cheap and chicory! It also had a chemical taste to it. In the main bar there is a huge balcony with lots of comfy seats but you are warned - DO NOT FEED THE BIRDS. They are very tame and cute but leave droppings everywhere - very unhygienic. Unfortuanely the 24hr Snack Bar is also plagued with birds and they often enter the restaurant area. In summary, great hotel, good location and ideal for family holiday.

2  Thank jacjac1999
Write a ReviewReviews (6,938)

Reviewed April 17, 2009

read plenty of reviews prior to our trip, most reviews are accurate but some a little harsh at least that's what i though so i will try to be honest and keep it short:
Cleanliness: fantastic, loads of staff cleaning all the time.
Rooms: spacious and clean, but the main bed was horrifically rock hard and lumpy, lacked drawer space for clothes, 2 wardrobes had just 12 hangers for our party of 3 people.
Pools: 5 decent pools, 3 jacuzzi's, plenty of sunbeds and plenty of space around so you never felt hemmed in.
Towels: for the pools can be changed as often as you like
Bars: The Green Room is adults only and twice a week there is a piano player who also plays the trumpet and flute. Canadian bar is for families with plenty of seating and the veranda is lovely, it catches the sun but not the wind, peaceful and calm. Also a bar in central to the pool area.
Animals: about 12 cats on site, all friendly and love the bacon from the restaurant. The birds strangely pretty tame and it was nice to hear them singing.
Restaurants: a huge place, following through with Italian and Chinese, fairly big selection of choice for main course and is at best warm, the sweet selection was poor.
Additional to this there is a games floor with air hockey, table tennis, snooker and pool.
All in All this is a really decent hotel and site with plenty of space indoors and out and you won't be disappointed with anything.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 15, 2009

This was my first european all inclusive holiday since having my children. We were invited to stay here as part of a family holiday to celebrate a Golden Wedding anniversary. As a fusspot, I had some hesitations but was willing to try it out! A summary of my thoughts:-

Cleanliness - I always seemed to encounter people cleaning! No complaints here.

Room - We had a beautiful sea/pool view room in block g but were aware of noise from the evening entertainment. The room was well equipped and spacious, a bonus as there were four of us in one room. The beds were hard but, to be honest, I have encountered worse. The bathroon had his and her sinks and the shower was powerful with plentiful hot water.

Staff - I didn't find the reception staff particularly apporachable or friendly but they were efficient enough. Some of the bar staff were a bit serious but responded if I made the effort! The entertainment team were fun and friendly.

Entertainment - some variety of things in the day eg, pool games, shooting competitions, tennis etc which weren't 'in your face'. The evening entertainment was varied generally poor and, in my opinion , started too late at 2230, but my children enjoyed the mini disco. The play area was poor but we discovered a superior one about five mins walk away.

Location/position - a real plus point. Set into a cliff with lovely sea views; great beaches a moderate walk over the cliff, and Playa Blanca and the Rubicon Marina very accessible.

Food - no complaints. Varied and plentiful. Not the best quality and a bit mass catered but I certainly didn't go hungry. The coffee, as I would expect, not up to Cafe Nero standards!

As you can see from my ratings, I view the hotel quite favourably and am pushed to criticise anything really but I feel there was a bit of finesse missing.

• Stayed: April 2009
4  Thank youngmotherhubbard
Reviewed March 31, 2009

My apologies firstly for writing a long review, i generally do as a lot of people tend to miss out the information that you usually need and give out info on stuff you don't.
We stayed from the 10th - 21st march 09. We got a taxi from the airport which took 30 mins approx and cost about 40 euro ( one way ). Check in was efficient with no long queue and were on our way to the room with in 5 mins, although beit we were handed a naff map of the resort and found it ourselves.
THE ROOM was large and spotless with "colourful" decoration and in good condition with a super kingsize bed, a sofabed, fridge, hairdyer, safe ( at a cost ),2 large wardrobes with few hanger's, nice size marble bathroom and a large furnished balcony. We stayed in block B on the 5th floor with unobstructed beautiful views of the sea and fuerta ventura.
Bad bit's on room: bed is rock hard and mini bar is a minimun of 24euro for them to fill up with not very much!
THE POOLS This hotel has 5 swimming pools including a tots pool next to the adults, and a large heated salt? pool for kids all spotlessly clean an well maintained, plenty of lounger's and parasols to go round but this was March so no idea about summer as this hotel can cater for 1,300 people.
THE RESTAURANT'S were large and well maintained, huge choice of hot and cold dishes with freshly cooked meats, fish cooked every lunch and dinner. Drinks are self service which i think is better than being waited on. There are also italian and french and oriental restaurant's attatched to each other all on the same floor, the italian you can sit and eat freshly cooked pizza's and pasta, and walk through to the main buffet with your plate an help yourself to anything else you wish!, the oriental you book through reception and we tried but didn't rate as anything special. The French is subsidised but didn't appear to be open when we were there so i can't comment.
But overall you won't go hungry at any meal time and my only downside was that more often than not the food was luke warm, and the crockery was a little battered. The grill bar , the food was a little dire to be honest but then it's only for snacks anyway.
THE BAR'S were clean and serviced by staff who were very friendly, although large queues do tend to build up so double up on your drinks with in reason to cut down waiting. We used the Canarian bar on the top floor as it was outside with large chairs and table's, but that does get busy so not alway's possible to find a seat. The Green bar is adult's only with no much atmosphere, but comfortable all the same. You can get cocktail's all inclusive but branded drink's ie irish coffee, jack daniel's etc you will have to pay a small supplement.
THE GYM/SPA is a little to be desired as the aerobic machine's have seen better day's, not much choice of weight 15kg max, and a few cable machine's which are ok. They have 2 sauna's one nudist and one not, and three jacuzzi's of differing sizes. You are also able to get massage's at a cost but not sure how much as we didn't use this service. The gym does also give you the impression of being in a gold fish bowl as everyone that walk's past can gawp in at you!.
NEARBY you can take a stroll to Rubicon marina which is a half hour walk along the promenade. worth a trip, there you can finda few shop's bar's and Restaurant's. Playa Blanca town is another 15-20mins walk on from there where you can find many more of the same at the marina on on a much bigger scale, also chemist's bank's and supermarket's etc. the hotel does offer a shuttle bus which goes about 4-5 times throughout the day and will pick you up, the hotel give you times on a sheet with drop off and pick up times. The journey takes around 10mins or you can get a taxi for around 4euro each way as we did on many occasion. If you like to visit a beach then papagayo had some beautiful beaches about 30 mins walk from the hotel in the opposite direction of the marina. some are naturist some not.
You can also have a trip to Fuerta ventura for the day at a cost of around 35euro each and travel on the ferry which takes around 30mins.
I could probably go on for ages but think i best not, overall we had a nice time, this is a little to quiet for us, and lacking some wow factor. But that said the hotel is large, clean, and modern. The staff are very friendly, especially if you are polite and try and make an effort with a little spanish. There is little to moan about, but for us not much to rave about.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank davethefireman
Reviewed March 21, 2009

Not a bad place to stay if it is during a quiet period. We were there and it was half full yet most of sun loungers full and dinner tables full during certain times. Would like to be a fly on the wall during the busy periods of the year ( If i was a fly on the wall i would not be alive as the cleaners are spot on and clean everything !!!!! )
The food is good but seemed very fatty as they fry most things, but the salads are good.
Get in early as the food soon goes cold !!
At 0745 you will see the standard towel wielding nutters claiming their sun loungers and then going for breakfast. ( Do me a favour move their towels to another lounger.)
The area is great for relaxing and there are some fantastic sandy beaches 5 Min's away in the car ) 1 Tip hire a car for a couple of days as we had one for a week and went round the island within 2 days.
Bottled water you have to pay for from the machines as you do not get any in your room after your first free bottle. Top up your bottle from the restaurant area.
Night life was different in the bar as my 14 month year old was the only one to dance to the guys guitar playing. !!!!!
The swimming pools ........ by Christ they wake you up !!!!
Kids pool is the warmest ....... i think as i got ice cubes in my eye balls.
If you like cats then go to floor -3 as there are loads of the little buggers.
Best food is the Italian section and is quiet first thing.
If you want any photo's or tips let me know.
O by the way do not fly with Thomas Cook unless you can fold your legs over your head.
And again one thing the barman on level -3 what a miserable git !!

3  Thank flyflyflyaway
Reviewed March 16, 2009

Stayed here in Jan 09. This was the first foreign holiday with our daughter who is 8 and we loved every minute.
Had never stayed AI before, so we were dubious about what to expect but we needn't have worried, the food was great and plenty of it! Some days were better than others but always loads of choice. I can be a bit fussy about cleanliness around food but had no probs here. Sometimes you had to change cups for one without chips but I always managed to find one. Loved the doughnuts for brekkie!

The swimming pools were lovely, although as others have said, in Jan the non heated pools were a no go (I'm no wimp and will happily brave the welsh sea on a windy/rainy day, but the other pools were colder than that!) Heated pool was lovely and plenty big enough for the amount of guests in Jan.

Grounds and gardens were spotless and always being cleaned.

Room was spacious with fab balcony and beautiful views

The entertainment we saw wasn't great and started very late. Usually in theatre bar which wasn't very comfy but we weren't too fussed about entertainment so it didn't bother us.

Loved the Canarian Bar and the cocktails!

Papagayo beaches were beautiful but be careful where you point your camera as there are loads of nudists!!

Stayed from 4th Jan for a week and weather was hot enough for sunbathing and swimming, although if the sun went behind a cloud you needed to cover up. Take a jumper for the evening.

HIred a car and went to Timanfaya as this was much cheaper than the trip offered. There is a cheap car hire place if you go out of the hotel, down the hill and across to the children's park. Can't remember the name but sure you'll spot it. Our car was a bit wrecked, but we had no problems and no come backs (was cheaper than the hotel).

All in all a fab holiday and just what we wanted. Not for you if you like to be in the centre of town and like lots of entertainment. Perhaps not great for young couples.

Brill hotel and would return but perhaps a bit later so that it is a bit hotter (I like to bake!)

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with family
4  Thank smhslm
Reviewed March 12, 2009

I was going away with 8 of my family to celebrate my 50th (ouch!) birthday. Ages ranged from 13 - 70's. I chose this hotel as it had reasonable reviews. The hotel itself is really nice (more details below) but what lets this hotel down seriously is the awful attitude of the staff from the reception to bar staff to restaurant staff. I have written many reviews & have never previoulsy found the need to complain about hotel staff. I appreciate customer service standards vary across the world, but here it is non existent!

Check in was efficient, but not a smile to be seen I (that said my daughter who arrived before us had big problems trying to sort out our room as they had booked us into a single, when I had booked a double with sofabed for our son & paid for it!).

Check out was rude. When my daughter checked out they rudely insisted she go back to her room to get the pool towels even though she explained her taxi was waiting. Their response was 'I don't care we need the towel cards' .None of us on leaving received a smile or a comment like 'hope you enjoyed your stay etc' - just functional. Yet we had not complained or been any issue for them throughout our stay.

Bar staff - again sullen & seemed to not want to be there. We ordered some Irish coffees one evening (not part of the all inclusive so charged for) & the barman almost threw them at us.

The hotel was less than half full I would say & the restaurant not too busy. As there was 8 of us there to celebrate my birthday on the actual evening my daughter asked if she could reserve one of the large tables at a set time so she could decorate it with balloons etc. They very rudely refused, which meant she had to go down a couple of minutes before armed with stuff & try to find a table. Was it really such an issue?

That said, if you can put up with poor attitude, the hotel has some really good points:-

- It is a huge hotel but spotlessly clean & well decorated.
- Rooms were large with really big balconies & great sea views
- Great location for peace & quiet. Nothing in the immediate vicinity but a 25 min stroll to the marina or only 5 euros in a taxi)
-Fab pool areas (too cold to swim when we were there though)
-Restaurant was a bit like a canteen but the food was very good. Plenty of choice. We also tried the Chinese & found it to be better than previous reviews had suggested. Not massive choice, but what there was, was very nice
-Beer & wine was good. They didn't seem to mind you getting more than one drink at a time (which was useful when 11pm was approaching!).
-Beer, Wine, Soft drinks, coffee etc available 24 hours a day in the snack bar
-Seemed to be lots of activities going on, aerobics, football, archery etc
-Lots of different bars to choose from plus pool tables (expensive at 2 euros a play) table tennis, table football, air hockey etc.

On the downside:-

- staff attitude
-shabby crockery in the restaurant. A 4* hotel should really do better than this
-All inclusive cuts off at 11. 12 would be better
-Little or no evening entertainment
-Extras are a bit of a rip off. 4 euros for a beer after 11pm & my son wanted an iron & ironing board & they charged 12 euros plus a 5 euro deposit!! Extortionate
-pool table expensive at 2 euros a go (but the plastic cups from the snack bar fit nicely in the pockets!).
-When this hotel is full I would imagine there would be a bun fight for sun beds, restaurant table & seats in the bar.
-No supervision in the spa. Kids were jumping in & out of the jacuzzi like it was a kids pool
-Massive hotel. Very confusing to find your way about & no porter service arriving or leaving.

Overall we had a great trip, but I simply couldn't recommend this hotel.

2  Thank Debbie R
Sol Lanzarote All Inclusive
Sol Lanzarote All Inclusive
#37 of 91 in Puerto Del Carmen
Hotel Hesperia Lanzarote Playa Dorada

Been to Sandos Papagayo Beach Resort? Share your experiences!