“Another fabulous holiday at Sandos!”

Sandos Papagayo Beach Resort
Ranked #9 of 37 Hotels in Playa Blanca
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed November 18, 2013

We have just returned from another wonderful holiday at the Sandos Papagyo. my husband and i have stayed here about 5 times and my parent about 8. The staff are wonderful. Very courteous and pleasant. Special mention to Victor, Erica and Teresa in the bar areas and Khadija who works in reception, she makes you feel like nothing is too much trouble.

i defy anyone not to find food they can eat at this hotel. The food is of a high quality and changes everyday. i love the fresh fish and rice dishes here, just beware and bring elasticated trousers with you! the amount of food you eat in a week is ridiculous :)

The terrace bar and chill out areas are fab at night for a drink or two, however if you are looking for an adult only area the cocktail lounge is lovely too.

The one thing worth noting especially about this hotel is the cleanliness. Every area is cleaned to an exceptional high standard. There are beautiful polished wood chairs in the reception area and i have seen on many occasions the slats in these being cleaned individually instead of just dusted over.

All in all a lovely hotel. We cannot recommend highly enough.

Room Tip: Blocks A,B & C have a lovely sea view. It was great to wake in the morning and open the sliding...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Lisa M

Reviewed November 15, 2013

Just returned from a week travelling alone to Playa Blanca.

I was a little apprehensive as I've never been on hol on my own before but I felt safe and relaxed at this lovely hotel. Found it very friendly, clean and comfortable. Great sized bedroom in Block H overlooking the main pool and reception area. Shame there wasn't a sunbed on the balcony though! Good selection of hot and cold food available all day. Never eaten so much in a week! Desserts were a little bland and disappointing though but they do have ice cream. Fabulous modern rooftop chill out bar where I had pre-dinner G n Ts! Would recommend the Mexican restaurant (need to book) and the Italian is quite nice especially if they have the pesto on offer....that's yummy.

The beach at the back of the hotel is a little depressing but there is a beautiful one about a 15 min walk to the side of the hotel (wear sturdy shoes though to get there!). Please bear in mind there are no facilities there.

Not much nightlife close to the hotel but I wasn't bothered as stayed in the hotel at night as I was on my own.

Lovely 20 mins walk to the Rubicon marina where they have a market on Wednesdays and Saturdays 9 am - 2 pm.

Playa Blanca itself is lovely (best resort on the island I understand) and the hotel provides a free shuttle bus several times a day.

All in all my holiday was exactly what I expected. Would return again especially during the winter months.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the main pool
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
10  Thank MissDiane40
Reviewed November 14, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I decided on this hotel for our honeymoon and stayed from the 15th-29th of October 2013.

On arrival (following a disastrous transfer!) our check in was smooth. Directions to our room were clear as were the instructions regarding meal bookings.

We had booked a junior suite (for the occassion, not our norm) and were not disappointed. Cava on arrival, and a beautiful modern room in D block. AC was ok, but I imagine in the height of summer it would be inadequate. Maid service was excellent.

The pools were a big disappointment. The fact that they were not heated didn't bother me too much as I tend to just hop in anyway, but the lack of enforced rules were very annoying. People putting down towels and leaving, often for hours, meant that when others, like my husband and I, went down at 10.15, there were no decent beds left. This was consistant despite signs everywhere. Another problem was that children were often left unsupervised. I have no problem with kids! But when they run around with water guns screaming and spraying pool users it was too much. There should be an adults only pool.

Food was just lovely. I loved the International and my husband loved the Mexican (as did I). The Asian wasn't the best. Royal Elite breakfast was great most mornings but towards the end as the hotel got busier they were less able to manage and we were often left waiting for clean tables/tea/juice.

Entertainmant was awful. We are young (mid 20s) and were expecting a few good shows or a band here and there. We werent looking for a mad nightlife scenario but all the entertainment was aimed at kids (no adult option). Bars were the same, with the same awful guitarist/singer. I would have preferred a bit of bad karaoke!! And the Royal Elite bar should be adult only. Not a place to wheel 10 buggies into or send children to play.

Wifi was deplorable. Not up to scratch at all. When it worked at all that is.

DESPITE all this we did have a lovely time. A holiday is what you make if it. And nothing could have spoiled our honeymoon. The hotel was lovely as was the room and the majority of the staff. We just felt that if rules were enforced and certain issues were addressed it could be much better.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
8  Thank sheridje
Reviewed November 14, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Papagayo Beach Resort from 27th October - 8th November 2011. As the previous reviewer, we had done our research into the royal elite service and were extremely pleased we went ahead and booked this package.

We could not find fault with any aspect of our holiday - staff, food, room, all excellent. We did eat out a couple of nights in restaurants in the Marina but this was not to say that the food at the hotel was not good - we just fancied a change.

It was lovely in the afternoon to go in to the Royal Elite lounge and be able to sit and relax and read books, and help yourself to coffee, soft drinks or branded alcohol and the lovely buns and biscuits which were always available.

If you are considering booking this hotel then do not hesitate as hopefully you will enjoy your stay as much as we did. And again we would recommending booking the Royal Elite package.

I would however advise anyone who is planning to use their debit card whilst on holiday to be very careful as both my husband and my debit cards have been comprised since we came home - both fraudulent transactions were in Malaysia!!!! We had only used our card once each whilst in the Marina so this is just to forewarn anyone planning to use their card.

Room Tip: We had room in Block A and we found it really close to all the bars and restaurants.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ValerieandRoy
Reviewed November 13, 2013

We were there from 3/11 - 10/11 - I cannot recommend the royal elite upgrade highly enough - £16 per person per night is an absolute steal, don't hesitate! Guaranteed seaview room, beautiful breakfast room and fantastic private lounge with canapes, olives, sushi, premium drinks etc etc! The room was spotless, cleaned everyday without fail. We have had excellent nights sleep, all we could hear was the sound of the sea lapping against the shore - pure bliss! I did my homework before I went and Papagayo has truly lived upto the majority of the reviews. Don't waste another minute - book it, you won't be disappointed I promise!

Room Tip: We had a high floor room overlooking the sea - FANTASTIC!
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank BARTREV
Reviewed November 12, 2013

Amazing hotel!! I cant complain about anything! I had such an amazing time! The best part of the hotel was the animation team! They work so hard! All day long.. And especially steven is so nice! He's funny, crazy and the best entertainer! Shows were great as well!

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank Professornam
Reviewed November 12, 2013

We stayed at the Papagayo Beach Resort from 29/10-7/11 - the party consisting of 3 adults & 5 children. On first impressions the hotel is quite impressive with an attractive large lobby, beautiful pools and amazing views. We stayed in G Block which has a view of the pools and sea which we were pleased about. The room itself was fairly standard with 2 twin beds pushed together and a sofa bed for the children. We emailed the hotel in advance to ask them to put our rooms next to each other which they did with no fuss, and the cot was in the room without me having to prompt them. We did find the air conditioning a bit noisy and it would have been nice to have some tea & coffee making facilities in the room, but we were only a short walk away from the pool bar so my early bird husband would nip down and get a couple of coffees of a morning so we could drink them on the balcony whilst the kids slept.

The first day the kids got told off for jumping in the pool too early - it doesn't open until 10am which in my opinion is a bit late for a family hotel. The pools were freezing. Very disappointing as if I'd have known this when booking, I wouldn't have chosen this hotel as cold pools mean kids not as contented which therefore means them bothering me more! My husband did complain about this but was told they were only heated during the winter which would be the 1/11. As previous people have said, it was half term and there were hardly any kids using the pool which seemed a shame. They did In fact turn on the heated pool a couple of days early, but that was a bit late for the majority of the kids as it took days to heat up. We left on the 7th and it was nice then. The weather was beautiful, but even in the height of summer, I still think the pool needs to be heated. Big negative for me. There is also supposed to be a 45 minute rule for reserving sunbeds. This was never put into force. Sunbed reservers really get on my nerves and although it wasn't as bad as some of the places I have visited it was still happening, much to my annoyance.
The food in the restaurant was ok. Plenty to choose from and I'd imagine catering for the most fussiest of eaters. But it was really busy. It felt more like a canteen rather than a restaurant. We used to sit in the pizzeria part as it was the furthest distance to walk and was always quieter. The lighting was not as bright either. Drinks were limited in the restaurant, it would have been nice to have some sangria on tap like we have had in other hotels. We booked the Chinese and Mexican restaurant when we arrived (luckily as I tried to book them again but was told they were full). I enjoyed the Chinese mainly because it wasn't as busy as the main restaurant. The Mexican had lovely tasty food but it didn't really feel as though you were eating out as it was just the pool bar converted for the night. The pool bar was usually very busy with a queue. The grill (which is like the pool cafe) served a limited choice of food, and limited choice of drinks (again, no sangria as help yourself). They also don't like you going in there without a t-shirt or shoes on. I can understand the point of no wet clothes, but I don't see a problem about having no top on when all you want to do is pop in for a burger. The main restaurant was much better for lunch than the grill, serving a wonderful assortment of delicious salad (not a big fan of frankfurters, burgers & chips).
The Rubicon Marina is about a 20 minute walk away, and they have a market there every Wednesday and Saturday selling the usual tat. It's a lovely marina with plenty of bars and restaurants but as we were all inclusive we were being a bit tight so didn't eat out.
There is a free shuttle bus to the main part of playa Blanca which was like a free for all. We luckily managed to get on, but there were a lot of people who didn't, I'm not sure if the bus driver went back to collect them or not. We missed the bus coming back the one day so decided to walk back which took us about 45 minutes.
There are lots of beautiful beaches close by to the hotel. Lovely turquoise water, really pretty. The only thing that ruins them is that there are lots of nudists and me being a bit of a prude, I didn't feel comfortable with this. Luckily, the first beach you come to is not a nudist beach, but if you want to carry on exploring, I'm just warning you!
The entertainment is almost non existent, and the mini club is pretty poor. My 4 year old loved it, but my 7,8 and 10 year olds thought it was boring. The entertainment of an evening was not good either, but we didn't watch the majority of it so I can't really comment on it that much.
For the size of the hotel there should be more table tennis tables. My sons were waiting patiently the one night to hIre the rackets but there were never any available. So in the end they just bought some from the shop, but even then they could never get a table because people tended to be on them all night.
There are toilets on every floor which is useful and the hotel is clean. The maid service was excellent.
The cocktails are pretty poor as they are all from a pre mixed bottle and are also very sweet but we are into our cocktails so this may not bother some people.
All in all we had a nice holiday, but we have stayed at better places so we probably won't return. As we have 5 children we need a place with better entertainment for the kids, happy kids = happy parents. I noticed quite a few older couples who would probably really enjoy it. If you like to be in the centre though, this hotel is not for you as it is out of the way.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
#15 of 37 in Playa Blanca
Hesperia Lanzarote
Hesperia Lanzarote
#2 of 4 in Puerto Calero

Been to Sandos Papagayo Beach Resort? Share your experiences!