“fantastic for family holidays”

Sandos Papagayo Beach Resort
Ranked #7 of 37 Hotels in Playa Blanca
GreenLeadersSilver level
Leeds, United Kingdom
“fantastic for family holidays”
Reviewed June 18, 2013

We've visited Sandos Papagayo in may school holidays. My children 5 and 3 loved pool but also enjoyed very much activieties provided by mini club.We have stayed in block H so have a view on pools and if you're looking for a quiet evenings that could be a little problem but my son quickly took adventage of that and enjoyes disco at the room:). Staff reception very kind and helpful and restaurant staff very familly orientated- fantastic specialy if you have a small children.Room are specious and clean. Hotel provides bus to town every day but you can also walk to town as there is fantastic promenade.If you have a late flight you can leave your laguage secure at the hotel and still enjoy pools,activieties or have meals as you don't need to leave hotel permises and they can offer you a shower room to make yourself ready before your journey home.Hotel has own little beach but couple of minute walk hiden by small hill is nice small and quiet sandy beach.Over all if you're looingk for good family holiday with a bit of luxury it is worth to stay at this hotel

2 Thank anna g
Subdireccion S, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Sandos Papagayo Beach Resort, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Dear anna g,

Thank you very much for your kind words. We will keep on working hard to improve in all aspects in order to make your stay unforgettable.
We hope to see you again in the near future.

Assistant Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,849)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 18, 2013

We stayed at Sandos during school half term week, family of 4, kids 6 & 8 having took a chance and booked only the day before. We went more in hope than expectation but we needn't have worried as this is a top notch hotel.
We had asked for a sea view but had a room facing the volcano out the back - not a problem as we booked so late. The room was exceptionally clean, spacious and beds very comfortable.
The food at the hotel is simply superb. Those on here who criticise the food need to get a life. They cater for all tastes. I lived on the excellent fresh fish, it was brilliant. The Mexican was a real treat with the Italian coming a close second. Chinese was basic but still very good. You need to book these on arrival to make sure you get in. Breakfast and lunch in the International restaurant was varied and piping hot where it needed to be.
Drinks were decent too. I thought the lager was top notch and my partner enjoyed the cocktails. The kids filled their boots on all the drinks/slush ice creams etc.
Free bus to Playa Blanca was excellent, can be busy though. The marina market and town are well worth the visit, whether you get the bus, walk (20 mins) or taxi (4euro).
Our kids loved the kids club and the entertainment team were excellent. Crazy golf and tennis court are a bit dated. Free beach towels are a nice touch.
Never had a problem finding sun loungers but it could be a problem during busy periods.
No real negatives at all. Photgraphers test your patience but were very well mannered. By far the best all inclusive holiday we've had. We are looking to book again for next year!Thoroughly recommend it for a relaxing family holiday.

Room Tip: Try for a sea facing room.
2 Thank kippylawkid
Dear kippylawkid,

Thank you very much for bringing us your feelings. We appreciate your comments and remarks and the trust you have placed on us.

Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 15, 2013

Me and my partner visited this hotel in February. We were looking for a winter break and we got one.
When we arrived we were dealt with after around 15 minutes the receptionist was answering the phone and speaking to her colleague instead of dealing with the queue so not a great start. We were then given our room and we were on the ground floor. We went for some food as it was late and returned to reception to asked to be moved to a higher floor. This seemed too much for the receptionist and she was very rude. She spoke to another receptionist and was huffing and puffing. After all of this she told us we could not change room until Friday as the hotel was full (it was far from full)
We decided it wasn't the end of the world. The room was lovely. Huge bed and other than it not being very private the terrace was lovely too. We had a sea view room although on the bottom floor the fencing got in the way of the sea view we paid for. I did enjoy it though standing on my tip toes.

We found meal times a bit daunting. The restaurant gets very crowded and it feels like you are sitting with the table next to you which can be quite awkward. The main buffet area wasn't my cup of tea as I am a fussy eater however my boyfriend always found something to eat! I found the Italian which was next to the main buffet area perfect. Credit to the chef he cooked fresh pasta in front of you. You could also watch the italian chefs making the fresh pizza. I would of paid extra for the meal from there. We did not try the Chinese after recommendations from others that we met. It's not like the Chinese at home. We did eat at the Mexican 3 times! I would recommend booking this as it was lovely. However book in advance as it does get booked up very quick the hotel recommends 24 hours but we found there was a 3 day wait.
Entertainment however was shocking!!! My boyfriend went to join the rifle shooting one morning. There is no safety talk and during the activity a Spanish lad was pointing a loaded gun at members of the group! The member of staff did not stop this either. Previous places have always done safety talks as I'm sure it would hurt if you were shot! We did not join in after this although the activities weren't advertised very well so we would not have known where they took place anyway.
As for the night time entertainment this was non existent we never heard anything advertised. Luckily me and my boyfriend get on and could talk all night whilst sitting on the terrace drinkin the drinks. Word of advice the bar stays open after ai closes and you then have to pay for drinks with no warning!!
The hotel was hit by a slight hurricane whilst we were there and the staff were brilliant in sorting the the hotel so It was safe.
Free bus to playa blana was a good touch! Lovely walk to the marina too.

Pool area was lovely I would recommend the top pool if you do not have children as it is quieter.
Overall not a bad holiday but little improvements would have made it better

I personally wouldn't return as it was a little too big.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Subdireccion S, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Sandos Papagayo Beach Resort, responded to this review, June 30, 2013
Dear 432sophie,

We appreciate your comments and remarks and thank you for the trust you have placed on us.
For us is fantastic to know the good and the not so good of your stay. Please don´t doubt that we will transfer the comments to the respective departments to improve our service on these points.

We look forward to see you again in the near future. Yours faithfully,

Wakefield
Reviewed June 15, 2013

I have just returned on the 13th june after a 10 day stay at this Hotel ,from first arriving the Hotel has been great in all aspects ,we had expected a Royal elite room as we had an e-mail from the Hotel confirming this ,we found on arrival that we did not ,no problem though as room we were give H101* was perfect ,it overlooked the main pool and also gave us a sea view
The Hotel itself although showing signs of age was kept up to standard perfectly ,all staff from cleaners to management were continually working to ensure hotel was tip top
I was with my good lady who has awful trouble with her walking but is too proud to go in a chair ,I was a little concerned before the holiday as people had talked about the ups ad downs of the levels in the hotel ,well although it is true there are plenty of mesmerising levels they were all accesible through uncluttered floors and plenty of lifts to get you about.
The food was good and was what you would expect from a 4* hotel ,of course you could pick holes in it if you looked hard enough ,however the choice every mealtime was vast ,the meat and fish main courses were cooked fresh as you waited if you wished ,the tables were cleared of plates rapidly allowing you to fill a new plate if necassary
The pools were all first class if a little cold ,plenty of sunbeds even without resorting to reservig one
The hotel had a good balanced mix of people mainly from spain and UK and all seemed to get on well ,it certainly is not a party animal hotel and therefore seems to attract people who just want a friendly nice time on there holiday
Finally the people who we spent time with ,Graham and Suzette from Liverpool thanks for caring for my wife and taking interest in her and her troubles ,she and we really appreciated it ,if only for the 2/3 nights
Overall a Holiday experience which we look forward to repeating ,think next time a Disabled scooter will be a help for me but cannot see Eileen going in one ,once again thanks to staff and fellow holidaymakers for making holiday so pleasant

Room Tip: Have a look at plan of hotel before you go,am sure we could have had a better view but may have had...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank terrierbite
Dear terrierbite,

Lancaster, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 14, 2013

This was my third trip to Lanzarote but the first to Papagayo arena. Overall the holiday was absolutely fantastic. Me and my partner travelled with First choice and everything was very smooth. On check in the receptionist was very helpful and provided us with a map of the complex, opening times and pool towels (which are free). Very easy to find your way around we took half an hour to walk around the hotel when we arrived to get our bearings.

To start with the food was great a good selection of hot and cold buffets. Good chance to try out new foods which we did. The snack bar is serves burgers, hot dogs, salads and crepes at certain times. The toastie maker comes out later on in the evening which many people took advantage of. As with any buffet type restaurant there are people who are a bit pushy but this didn't bother us.

Drinks were a good selection, slushies, coffee and cocktails all included. Cocktails can be hit and miss it depends on who is making them! Sometimes a bit strong... but the staff are brilliant and very accommodating. For example my partner went to get a cocktail for me at the pool bar but they don't normally serve them there (missing ingredients), however the bartender made one impromptu for me! I'm told the beer was fine and I tried all the wines. The red and rose are nice however the white was undrinkable for me.

Our room was fantastic, we stayed in H1206, which was top floor and had stunning views of the sea and pool area, I emailed in advance to arrange this. Didn't have any issue with noise but we were close to the evening entertainment so if you go to bed earlier than 11 then ask for G block I suppose or further along H. The cleaner was very good and attentive.

You are provided with a 1.5L bottle of water on arrival and there are places to fill up bottles all over the hotel in the form of big tanks. Obviously use the cold tap to get cool water. I found the water in the canary bar to be very chilled. After reading the reviews on trip advisor I was initially a bit scared to go in the pools. The pools were refreshing and not too cold at all. We had a mixture of cloudy and sunny days and found the pool to be just fine, wish I had gone in at the start!

We also went to the beach one day, it can be a bit of a scramble to get up and down the hill perhaps we went a more obscure route but we couldn't see any other way. We were told the first beach is not the nicest and they got more beautiful as you continue along but also less clothes are worn. The first beach is beautiful anyway. We walked along the pier to the marina and had a little shop and stopped for some cocktails overlooking the boats. The walk is very easy in comparison to the beach and takes about 20-30 mins and another 15 to playa blanca.

The night life is pretty much non existent but the hotel is so beautiful you never feel like you need to leave. The chill out terrace is especially awesome. The entertainment team seem to make a big effort to do their best but of the two evening shows we caught a glimpse of we decided to avoid. Not their fault but maybe more professional acts would be better! We decided against the royal elite as well, didn't see the value. Also it's 20 euros deposit for the safe and then 3 euros per day which we thought was a bit strange but worth the piece of mind as we had a lot of electronics.

Room Tip: High up in H and G blocks have sun from 12pm till evening.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Fi J
Dear Fi J,

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 14, 2013

My husband and I stayed here with our 3 kids 16, 11 and 10 in the may school hols. On arrival I found the reception staff quite surly we were given basic information and handed a map - on the upside there was a lovely large tray with cava orange juice and glasses - nice touch and appreciated after 1 hour transfer from airport. We booked with jet 2 and expected a room for 5 we got something much better - 2 very large family suites with sea view not connecting but on a private corridor rooms (831 and 832). Next day we set off with our map to investigate - the hotel is massive, took us all day really to suss it. Kids would have liked better footy facilities and I think the children's play park was a disgrace, we have been to hotels ( safari park - Majorca ) with much better kids facilities but this was not bad for the price and was ok for a week. Food was just ok kids enjoyed the lunch selection round the pool, thought the evening entertainment was just for the children not much for adults having said that one night there was a juggler / magician who was great. I loved the location of the hotel could walk to beautiful sandy beaches in one direction and easy walk of about 40 minutes - with the kids to Rubicon marina and playa blanca. Had our first evening drink in the chill out bar which has beautiful views out to sea and became the high light of our day. Good all round hotel good value for money kids didn't rate it as highly as others.

Room Tip: 831 and 832 were over looking the see and very large right on the corner of the hotel
2 Thank TraceyJ476
Subdireccion S, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Sandos Papagayo Beach Resort, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Dear TraceyJ476,

We look forward to welcome you again.

Reviewed June 13, 2013

We have just got back from our second visit our first been in may 2012. We decided to go back as we had liked it so much and we were not disappointed again. The rooms were still fab and I had put a request in to have the same room as last year and this was upheld brilliant . The pools were still gorgeous, they could have done with a little bit of heating on on the cloudy days as the water was cold and no one got in. We knew it was cold as the water activities such as water polo was cancelled. We did actually find the sea was warmer the the pool but then that it was still nice to go in the pool on the sunny days. The food was still fantastic but I have to state the best and most gorgeous food was in the brand New Mexican, that was fantastic we ate in there twice. The choice of food was its usual excellent standards along with every single member of staff in all restaurants been fantastic. The bars and selection of drinks were all super fantastic. The entertainment staff I felt were good but not as good as the staff last year. I felt they did not try enough to get people to join in as my mum was going to join in aqua gym but they never came round her side of pool to join in so she didn't no. Roy was good and Gabriel. We loved finchy from last year but never saw her this time so was quite sad. The shows done by animation team we not so good with the Disney show been the worst one but the outside people that came in were brill. Especially the African acrobats they were excellent along with the parrots again and the Chinese circus. All in all I would defiantly visit again maybe a couple of years as we are going to try the sandos at Tenerife but will definitely be back for our third visit!!!
I would also like to warn any English people about how rude the man is who owns the shop in the hotel. He will serve all Spanish first. I speak good Spanish to a level level and said hello and tried to have a conversation and he blanked me. He was very rude to my husband and left him stood for ten minutes before he took money for paper no please and thankyou. The worst manors I have ever seen. He also short changed me and I tried to explain what he had done and he claimed to not speak English when I was told by reception he does. Unfortunately he just rents the shop so nothing could be done but I would like to warn people not to venture in there. Thank you

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank lauren84travis
Subdireccion S, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Sandos Papagayo Beach Resort, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Dear lauren84travis,

We look forward to welcome you again.

Best Regards,

Hotel Hesperia Lanzarote Playa Dorada
H10 Lanzarote Princess
H10 Lanzarote Princess
#13 of 37 in Playa Blanca

Been to Sandos Papagayo Beach Resort? Share your experiences!