Sandos Papagayo Beach Resort
$144
  • Pool
Pueblo Marinero(Playa Blanca)(Great Value!)
$174
$170
  • Pool
H10 Rubicon Palace(Playa Blanca)
$145
$161
Elvoline
$235
$228
  • Beachfront
$135
  • Breakfast included
Ona Las Brisas(Playa Blanca)(Great Value!)
$175
$169
Hotels.com
$136
TripAdvisor
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Pool
VIK Coral Beach(Playa Blanca)
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Breakfast included
7,036 results
All reviewsgreen barsnack barfusion restaurantroyal elite serviceelite restaurantgreen roomcanary barmain restaurantitalian sectionsea viewelite packageelite loungeg blockroom in blockanimation teampapagayo beachthe lion king
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 18, 2012

Mike and i go here once or twice a year its clean, friendly and relaxing, also the hotel has a great selection of food hot and cold. most of all its good for the money we go in November and march and its a bit quite at times but you can be left alone to suit yourself or you can join in the games, use the gym they even supply the clean fresh towels. We have never been disappointed and we have been quite a lot so i feel i can say this , The staff are very friendly the room cleaners are very attentive its just a lovely relaxing place we will see you again in November 2012 for a much needed rest .

Room Tip: They always do their best so email ahead
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 18, 2012

I stayed here for an all inclusive holiday. The hotel itself is fine - very large but easy to get around. Communal areas all very clean and tidy.

Rooms are decent (with nice views) but beds not entirely comfortable (feel a bit old and tired). Housekeeping very efficient and non-intrusive.

Staff are professional - not overly friendly but very polite and helpful.

The location is great - a nice walk away from the Rubicon Marina (lovely) and not too far from Playa Blanca centre (not quite as lovely).

Pools are great - though relaxation interrupted somewhat by often blaring euro-pop music which isnt ideal. Plenty of loungers and plenty of shaded areas. Very clean and well maintained.

However, for me the food and drink let this hotel down.

On the positive side - there are a number of choices for places to eat. The mexican restaurant which you pre-book was good (its actually the snack bar converted for evenings - amazing what a few table cloths can do to spruce a place up), The oriental restaurant (again you book in advance) was tasty enough. The French restaurant (which you pay a supplement for) was again nice enough - fine / delicate french cuisine it definitely wasn't but that said it was tasty and it was great to have waiter service (our waiter was fantastic and incredibly professional) - its the only place to eat where you can have this. Its also the only place I could see in the hotel that you could have a glass of semi-decent wine. The pool snack bar was very hit and miss - when good it was really good (simple food but tasty), but when bad it was awful.

In addition to these places there was the cavernous canteen-style main restaurant. Personally I found no real pleasure in eating there - either at breakfast or in the evenings (evenings felt worse as it didnt feel like you could have a relaxing meal). Whilst the buffet style choices were on the whole fine enough and plentiful (fish dishes were the highlight for me) it was too big, had no ambiance, wine was bad quality (not for anyone who enjoys a glass of wine) and felt like a works canteen. Not all food was as hot as it should be to begin with and by the time you managed to get your food and get back to a seat it was often lukewarm. It could also be incredibly busy (although large enough that a table could be found). The 'italian' section was pretty dire. After a few times we decided to leave the hotel and eat at the Rubicon Marina or in Playa Blanca itself (plenty of choice and a few gems).

The bars were fine enough. The chill out bar on the roof terrace was lovely - especially at sunset. The balcony at the canary bar was also very nice to sit out in the very mild evenings. The green bar (adults only) was a bit depressing (gloomy), but we did see one excellent musician there.

However, the quality of the all inclusive drinks and wine let the bars down. Cocktails tasted like they were sugar loaded and came out of a pre-mixed bottle. The spirits were not great quality (pay a small supplement for the real thing - much better) and the cava was a bit metallic tasting.

I've been on several all inclusive holidays in Egypt, Turkey and Tenerife and unfortunately this hotel had the weakest quality food and drink of them all.

All in I've got to say that I really did have a good holiday, despite food and drink not being great, and will look back with very positive memories. The hotel does lend itself to relaxing and you can always venture outside the hotel for better quality food and wine if that is important to you. However, doing that sort of defeats the purpose of booking an all inclusive holiday.

Despite enjoying myself, i'm not entirely sure that I would return to this hotel nor wholeheartedly recommend this hotel to friends or family.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor and a sea view - 'A' block was good
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank mlohara
Reviewed October 16, 2012

I have just returned from a one week stay with my girlfriend, we are a young British couple on our first stay at the hotel. We stayed in the third floor a block with w lovely seaview room which we had requested and the hotel gave us which was excellent. Check in very swift and friendly, more information could be given at the reception regarding meal times and where everything is and it's very hard to get your bearings in such a huge complex at first. The rooms were large with a bath ans shower and spacy balcony, only few issues were a very old tv with lack of English channels and a rock hard bed which was very uncomfortable. Also you had to pay 21 euros for the safe for a week and a 20 euro deposit, considering the price of our stay and the hotels 4 star status perhaps this should be included. There were 3 pools we stayed at the quietest one at reception level though all three looked very good, we just wanted to be away from the loud music. The buffet restraunt was great always found something lovely to eat we didnt try th e other restaurants so cant comment on them. Papagayo beach is worth a visit though it's a 15min Rocky walk much better than the onsite beach, though I'd recommend venturing out to dorada beach 30min walk away which is better than both and clear sea! Staff very friendly cannot be faulted. The entertainment and shows every night were very poor some nights just the animation team miming over a soundtrack they don't know though I cant fault them, the hotel needs to dish out on some quality outside acts as most people just stayed in the chill out bar which was very nice and relaxing however good entertainment is really needed for a hotel boasting 4 star status. Overall a very good and enjoyable relaxing holiday which I wanted, but a few things definarely missing for the price.

• Stayed: October 2012
5  Thank smiffy6
Subdireccion S, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Sandos Papagayo Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 17, 2012

Dear smiffy6,
We thahk you very much your opinions about our hotel and we will take note of ths animation comments. Hoping to see you again,
Yours sincerely,
Carlos Vera. Assistant Manager

Reviewed October 16, 2012 via mobile

Just returned from this hotel from a weeks stay here, let me start by saying me and my boyfriend had a lovely time but there are a few things not so good and I feel to make this a fair review that should be mentioned.

Firstly when we arrived a reception we were basically thrown into the deep end, a wristband slapped on our wrists and quick unhelpful directions, hardly any information was given I had to ask about the wristbands and we wasn't told about anything else.
You have to pay for the safe which I find ridiculous, I've stayed in hotels from Paris to a 5 star in Tenerife and never are you made to pay for the safes!
The rooms were overall nice and we got a seaview what we asked for, there are a few little things like chipped paint ect but that doesn't bother me. The beds however are so hard! woke up very achey a few mornings. The pool areas are lovely although very very cold! There's a pool bar with lovely frozen piña coladas and food if you get peckish.
The food overall is good lots of choice although sometimes can get repetitive and the buffet restaurant can get very busy at times with a few noisy kids, again I don't mind so much but some do.
The worst thing about this hotel is undoubtably the entertainment, I can honestly say its by far the worst I've ever experienced and for a 4 star I expected alot more, the acts are sloppy and extremely cheesy I'd personally steer clear.
Wifi avavlible in public areas althought not in rooms which bugged me, it cut out a lot too.
We had a lovely walk to the harbour about 25 min walk but worth it because there is a stunning beach near by with crystal clear water I personally preferred this even to papagayo beach.

I enjoyed my weeks stay here although little things made this a little under a 4 star for me.

• Stayed: October 2012
3  Thank Rhea1992

Dear Rhea1992,
Thank you for your comments and we are really sorry about these few littles things. We hope we are going to see you again and will be a pleasure attend you again.

Yours Sincerely,
Carlos Vera. Assistant Manager

Reviewed October 14, 2012

We stayed here in January and are looking forward to going back next January. The Hotel is exactly what we were looking for, peaceful, friendly, spacious, professional staff, GREAT FOOD, good gym and spotless.
Our room was over looking the ocean and at night you could here the waves splashing onto the rocky beach outside.
You can walk into the marina in about 15 minutes and onto Playa Blanca in 30mins. Great to walk off all the amazing food that is on offer. Omlettes of your choice in the morning and show cooking in the evening. Also a beautiful italian section in the restaurant. (My Favourite)
I beleive they have added a new 'Chill Out Bar' this i can not wait to sample.
Did I mention the Team, Excellent is the only word.

Room Tip: Sea View Rooms.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank HappyHolidayer1001

HappyHolidayer1,
We are delighted to know that you´re will be back in january. Will be a pleasure attend you again and see how you are enjoying your holidays at the New Chillout Terrace.
Looking forward to see you again,
Yours Sincerely,