“Not 5 star but could be” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel THe Volcan Lanzarote

Hotel THe Volcan Lanzarote
Ranked #5 of 37 Hotels in Playa Blanca
Rossendale, United Kingdom
“Not 5 star but could be”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2013

This is a fine hotel bordering on being the 5 star establishment that it claims to be but not quite getting there. The main problem is that there are not enough staff in key areas such as at breakfast in Club Volcan and around the Club pool. The staff that are there require more training in the art of customer service and really need to up their game when it comes to attention to detail. Getting lunch and drinks around the Club terrace was a challenge as there was only ever 1 member of staff working at any time
We had a suite, in fact, a not-normally-sold Master suite, in the aforementioned adults-only Club Volcan area of the hotel whilst our girls had a suite in the non-Club area. The rooms were excellent, but with both rooms, room service was not a particularly 5-star experience with nothing arriving without having to be chased
The reception staff were undoubtedly amongst the best that I have experienced being knowledgable, friendly and accommodating and the Porter who took care of getting our luggage to the rooms and with whom we had ongoing interaction during the 8 days that we were in resort, was a delight
Despite staffing issues, Club Volcan is a great experience with the aspects of privacy and exclusivity that go with it and is highly recommended.
Please Volcan, the message is training, training and more training of the correct number of staff in key areas of the hotel and you will certainly be a 5 star resort

Room Tip: Over 18, then go Club Volcan in a suite or at least a junior suite
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank SimonJ213
HotelVolcanLanzarote, General Manager at Hotel THe Volcan Lanzarote, responded to this review, November 18, 2013
Dear Guest

We thank you for your comments and rating.

We value your comment about increasing the training of our staff, since it is through training that staff improves their level of service.

Sincerely

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,053)
  • Polish first
Northampton
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2013

I should start by saying friends recommended this hotel but they did tell us "don't expect five-star, because it isn't". This didn't put me off because the price wasn't five-star and I arrived with tempered expectations. However, even so I couldn't help feel disappointed with our experience at the Volcan but more than anything frustrated because it has the potential to be very, very good.

The positives are the great location: you walk straight out of the hotel into the Rubicon Marina, which is extremely pleasant and dotted with little restaurants and shops. On the advice of our friends, we didn't bother we half board because of the variety of restaurants right on the doorstep. A great tip. There is a very clean sandy beach with crystal clean water you can walk to easily in about 15 minutes (much faster without small children in tow, I suspect). Being lazy, we also discovered you could drive there in five!

The breakfast was great. A huge buffet with a massive selection on a par with any five-star hotels I've been to with the exception of the fruit juice that tasted so artificial and sugary that I don't think it had ever seen a fresh piece of fruit!

Interconnecting rooms - a rarity but the best-friend of families! It is always nice when you find a hotel with these facilities.

On the less positive, the rooms themselves felt very tired. Although on the surface they were clean enough, you didn't want to look too closely. The grout in the bathroom was very grubby and there were still all the hooks and track left from a long-disappeared shower curtain. The shower itself was really good: plenty of hot water and excellent shower pressure but too much for the little screen to handle so great care was required not to turn the place into a wet room. Our mini bar was empty - not a problem as we never drink the contents - but the fridge itself was filthy.

The entire room was littered with various useless bits of paper saying nothing that just cluttered the place up. However, there was no information with numbers for various parts of the hotel or how to use the television. These useless bits of paper also included a pillow menu - my absolute pet hate. It's just a gimmick hotels use to justify providing flipping awful pillows and bedding. I have to say that I have NEVER slept on such a dreadful bed, not even when travelling around the world staying in hostels. The pillow was rock hard and was replaced with an identical one when I requested something softer. The bed genuinely could have been concrete. I like a firm mattress but this was something else: I came back with a bruise on each thigh from where a ridge in said mattress had dug into my leg each night.

The hotel is landscaped around extensive pools that look lovely but I wonder whether they are actually meant for swimming because they were (as our friends warned) very cold. There were two very small kids' pools and these too were very cold. The sun loungers were dirty and crying out to be replaced, and on several occasions when we tried to exchange our tokens for pool towels we were told there were no towels left. In terms of planting and landscaping, everything felt very neglected. There was litter around the pool and in the shrubbery around it that was never cleared up. Once or twice we saw people making a token effort but nothing like the teams of gardeners and maintenance workers you see at a genuinely five-star hotel. Likewise, we saw room service trays outside doors for days on end, fold-up beds littering corridors and for much of our week-long stay the lights in the corridors weren't turned on!

The whole place felt in decline and as if it was being run as cheaply and meanly as possibly. The staff we saw were pleasant enough but there just weren't enough of them. A fellow guest we chatted to requested an iron one morning that didn't arrive for eight hours. "We're very busy" came the explanation. Not once did anyone ever come up to the kids pool where we spent most mornings to ask whether we'd like a drink. Being lazy souls, we'd have jumped at it and I daresay clocked up quite a bill by the end of the week. Physically, the hotel is absolutely enormous. I had the sense of it being a dinosaur that was too big for it's own good. Because we have children, we couldn't go in the Club Volcan area. This is for adults only and I suspect might be the reason the hotel hangs on to its five-star rating. In terms of service etc, it might be a whole different story but I think hoteliers need to realise that having children doesn't mean you don't want a five-star experience!

We didn't use the kids club while were there. We're not the sort of people who make a great deal of use of such facilities, which is a good job. It was very small and for most of our stay was open for just two hours over lunch time. Half-way through our stay a lot of countries/parts of the UK must have started half term because we did notice a few more staff around, kids club opening for longer and generally more effort being made around the place. On our departure day we had a late flight and there was absolutely no wriggle room on keeping one of our rooms a little longer or being able to use another room to shower etc. Again, there was no sense of people trying to go that extra mile to help.

Having said all that, we did meet some fellow guests who were on incredibly cheap deals. Given how nice the marina was, the climate etc, if we got a rock-bottom rate, I wouldn't discount coming back totally. However, while the price we paid was less than other five-star hotels we've been to, the lack of luxury and indifferent service did not make the saving feel worthwhile.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank MackC
Dear Guest

We thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay in the Hotel, with both positive and negative comments.

We are in the process of solving several of the issues mentioned in your review in order to improve our quality of service.

Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2013

I've read the earlier reviews which analyse whether this hotel deserves a 5 star rating or not, but I'm of the opinion you get what you pay for. The Princess Yaiza is more than twice the price of The Volcan, so it is unrealistic to expect the same facilities and service here. I stayed in the 'standard' ie non Club area in a room with a sea view. I had emailed in advance to ask for a room with a sunny balcony and got room 318 that has a huge wrap around balcony and a view over the Marina.
The location of the hotel is excellent with direct access to the Marina with it's many restaurants, shops and twice weekly market. Also, great walks in both directions along the promenade.
My room was very spacious with a huge double bed and a seating area for 4. There was also a TV (with a limited choice of English speaking channels) and a mini fridge. The bathroom was also big with 2 basins, a separate loo and a shower over the bath which was powerful and there was always hot water. Lots of toiletries were provided and replenished during my stay. It was all kept spotlessly clean.
The decoration could do with some updating, but I fail to see how a bit of chipped paint, or a cracked floor tile can affect the enjoyment of your holiday.
Many people have mentioned the mattresses on the sunbeds and yes they are worn and grubby, but if you put a towel over them it's not a huge problem. However, I would say to the Management this is obviously a problem to guests and affecting your reviews, so why is it taking so long to get them replaced? I believe they've been saying new ones are on order for months.
The food in the main buffet restaurant was fine with plenty of choice and the waiters were attentive. I didn't try any of the other restaurants on site so can't comment on those.
Generally an excellent hotel for the price I paid.

Room Tip: There's a huge variety of rooms so email in advance with your requirements eg easy pool access...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Jentheshep
Dear Guest

Thank you for writing a review plenty of positive comments about the Hotel.

We expect the sun beds to arrive soon to the Hotel in order to correct the situation you mention.

Baltimore, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2013

My wife and I had a most enjoyable week here in October. The hotel, while having 255 bedrooms never gave the impression of being that big. It is excellently laid out very well and has all the amenities one would ask for in a five star hotel. The rooms were spacious and beautifully kept. The staff were excellent and most obliging at all times. The selection of food for the breakfast was wide ranging and for the most part of excellent quality. We were on a B&B stay so we only stayed in for dinner on one evening and that was self service in the main diningroom which was a pity in a five star hotel. There were of course two other options, one of which we tried and that was very good, but again hardly five star! The only other quibble we had was, as others have stated, that some of the loungers in the pool area need to be replaced. One does put a towel on top of them but the very look of them does not create a good impression!
We found the ombience of the whole place so relaxing and the location within a stones throw from what is certainly a "Blue Flag" marina, with a selection of very good/excellent restaurants that there was really no need to venture any further than a short stroll to get all the quality in food that one could hope for. The added attraction of the twice weekly market in the harbour enviorns was an added attraction.There were no loud honky tonk bars or night clubs in the immediate vacinity which for us was a blessing.
We unfortunately booked a transfer, as part of our flight tickets and spent an hour waiting, in a hot bus, for other flights to come in and then another slow journey dropping people off at various other hotels. We were the last to be dropped and the first to be picked up going home! That we will never do again!
So would we go again? Yes certainly! We enjoyed our holiday immensely and but for the above mentioned small criticims, we would certainly give it five stars. Now I think 4.5 is fair!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments, particularly when stating that you will definitely return to the Hotel.

We appreciate your mentioning of the areas that in your opinion need to improve.

Shropshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2013

We have just returned from a week in the hotel on B&B. We didn't book half board as we like to eat out in the evenings so can't comment on the evening meals. We have been to Playa Blanca previously and admired the hotel so decided to swwitch from our usual villa style holidy. We upgraded to the Club area as we wanted to be in a quiet and relaxed spot with no children (and it was hubbie's 60th birthday) - it was worth it! We asked for a room on a higher floor as we don't like having rooms above us (noise) and we got a room in a great location which was very much appreciated. The rooms have no carpet so some people do drag furniture across the floor which tends to make a noise so I guess that might be a problem if you had someone like that near you. It does need some maintenance in and around the hotel and whilst the sunloungers and beds in the Club area are perfect it is obvious the ones around the main pool need attention. Having said that, we would be very happy to return and if our budget did not stretch to the Club area I would also be happy to stay in the main part of the hotel out of school holidays. We have seen other fire star hotels in the area but the Volcan competes easily with them. The staff are very attentive and helpful without being obstrusive - we could not fault any one of them. The Club breakfast was fantastic with eggs cooked fresh to order. 4pm in our vocabulary has now become 'cake o clock' as you get a good selection of cake with tea/coffee then. The bar between 6 and 9pm is a great idea - very sociable and all the premmium brands are available rather than just a few cheaper options. Much much better than the standard all inclusive arrangement so I hope the hotel don't go down that route - their system is much more user friendly and feels very relaxed too. If I had to make a suggestion it would be to make this between 5.30 and 8.30 which gives a bit more flexibility for eating after the 'bar' closes without it being too late if you are going out - although I know some guests are happy to eat late - so that woulnd't suit everyone. Some of the room locations don't have the same view we had the pleasure of but then not everyone is bothered about the sea view. The rooms are very spacious and well appointed, the bathroom has everything you need. Wifi doesn't work in the rooms but it worked fine in the reception lobby and in the Club area there is a computer to use for basic internet access. It would have been nice to get some English channels on the TV but actually it didn't bother us too much - we managed to watch the Moto GP race (for all those motorbike fans out there!!) in the room thanks to the Hotel Receptionist giving us all the details in advance. The hotel try to put on a range of activities for all tastes and this worked well. It is very rare for us to rate everything as 'excellent' so well done and thank you to the Hotel Volcan and its staff. We will be back!!! The Marina area and the main promenade in Playa Blanca have some excellent restaurants. The whole area looks very pretty at night - apart from one eyesore - which is the new shopping centre in the Marina Rubicon - no idea how they ever got permission to put the neon signs outside in bright green - the whole area look beautiful and 'up market' at night - especially from the terraces in the hotel - except for this building - which looks terrible. I hope that if everyone makes comment about it then perhaps the hoteliers and restaurants will be able to get the neon 'toned down' to fit in with the rest of the area. I know there are some criticisms about the hotel not being 5* across the board - maybe it wasn't in the main areas being assessed but it certainly was in the Club area - possibly not compared with large city hotels - but you are in the Canary Islands and the hotel scores massively on its layout - it is very definitely not your average concrete block hotel. A big THANK YOU to everyone at the hotel for making our trip so enjoyable.

3 Thank 853diane
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write a detailed review about your stay in Hotel THe Volcán Lanzarote, plenty of suggestions and positve comments about our overall quality of service.

Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2013

We stayed here for our Silver Anniversary in early November. We decided to upgrade to "Club Volcan",and it was worth every penny. If you want total relaxation and to feel totally spoilt this is the place for you. Breakfast was the best ever,with everything you could wish for. The staff at the hotel was so friendly and very helpful. The Club Volcan pool area is fantastic with views over to Forteventura,clean, and again attentive staff who even bring you fresh fruit on cocktail sticks ,around midday. There are tea and cakes between 4pm and 6pm, and then an open bar between 6pm and 9pm!!! Fantastic!! We can't comment on the restaurants at the hotel,as we were on B and B. The hotel is within walking distance to some lovely restaurants in the marina. People we met felt that the restaurants on site were a bit hit and miss. Our hotel bedroom was perfect,spacious and clean, and lots of lovely bathroom extras,including scented candles,even matches to light them!! The only downside is the hotel gym,which is a disaster.Limited equipment that works,but often no displays,and only 3 sets on dumbellls!! Also if you do need 24hr wifi then this isn't the place for you. Didn't bother us in the least,but the bedrooms certainly had no wifi. All in all, a wonderful place,and would go back in an instant.

Room Tip: We had a room on the 7th floor' Lovely and quiet,with a great view.
2 Thank Ann S
HotelVolcanLanzarote, General Manager at Hotel THe Volcan Lanzarote, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write a positive review about your stay in the Club Volcán.

We sincerely apologize for the inconveniences with the hotel gym and hotel WiFi.

We are delighted that you are willing to return.

St Mary's, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2013

We made our second vist to Hotel Volcan last week. It was a superb way to chill out and recharge our batteries.
Yes the sun lounger cushions need replacing, but that's in hand. Yes the hotel is a little down at heel in places, but nothing that a lick of paint and some DIY wouldn't put right. Everything else is just right. The staff are attentive and efficient - not obsequious as in some 5* hotels. The food is plentiful, tastly and varied served by concientious and friendly staff. The barbeque night was particularly great. We ate at the Italian restaurant and enjoyed the food and the personal service.
Our room was just a 'standard' room but it was large, comfortable and well appointed.
There are 'posher' 5* hotels, but Volcan earns its rating for ambience. If you want to be well looked after in a calm and tasteful hotel, the visit the Volcan.

1 Thank scilly2006
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write a very positive review about your holidays in Hotel THe Volcán Lanzarote.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Blanca
Hesperia Playa Dorada
Hesperia Playa Dorada
#17 of 37 in Playa Blanca
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,869 reviews

Been to Hotel THe Volcan Lanzarote? Share your experiences!