Short summary –
If you want a hotel that is classy, relaxing, peaceful, in a great location with access to an excellent choice of restaurants then this is the place for you.
Would I recommend this hotel - Very much so. Would I return – can’t wait!!
Perfect for couples seeking a quiet, relaxing and classy hotel. Probably not a great choice if you have children as it is too quiet and not to many facilities for them. Great location, plenty of classy restaurants and a couple of chill-out bars nearby, very friendly and efficient staff. Lovely rooms and pools. Spotless and so clean. Some issues with the sun beds (a few were a bit grubby as they are of beige colour but I guess with a pool towel placed over them than all should be ok). If you can afford to upgrade to the Adult only Club Volcan section then you should do this as this made our stay so special. However, please see below re the concern with the small indoor lounge area for the Club Volcan guests.
Stayed here in mid-September for a week in the Adult only Club Volcan section. Booked B&B only so can’t really comment on the evening meals (but heard good feedback from other guests though). Glad we didn’t go half board as we would have missed out so much on some truly lovely restaurants located in the nearby marine (2 min walk) or in Playa Blanca (a lovely 25 min walk, 4 euro taxi or a lovely bike ride in for which you can hire from the hotel). Please see at the bottom for details of the lovely and charming restaurants we eat at.
All hotels are different apart from the standard UK chain hotels so there will always be a better and worse hotel you have or can stay at. We have stayed at many 5* star hotels in the UK and within Europe and overall, this was one of the best we have stayed at and would happily return time and time again. But please accept that this is a ‘Moroccan style’ hotel so the rooms, layout etc. will be different from an ultra-modern 5* UK hotel.
Reception – out of this world. Truly.
Staff – all very friendly and efficient.
Location – Perfect. Very quiet, no road traffic whatsoever, no night clubs (one bar which is in the marina does have live music on some nights which you might hear until midnight if you have the windows open). Lovely, classy marina which has some lovely waterside restaurants and chill-out bars with music and live bands/singers. 25 min walk along the coast or 4 Euro taxi in to Playa Blanca which has a great choice of bars, restaurants, shops etc.
Bedroom – ours was very quiet, located away from the pool (those near the pool could be a bit noisier). Moroccan style, typical of hotels in the Canaries. Very clean. Air con is dated and can be a bit noisy. I guess also that if the temperature was very hot outside then these might not be so effective but by opening the windows you get a lovely see breeze. One or two very minor issues such as the odd cracked tile and a mark on the bidet but absolutely nothing to worry about!! All rooms face out to either the pools or sea. The views will depend on which floor you are located on (floors 6 and 7 best for views).
Pools – in the main hotel there are 2 large pools and one smaller one for young children. All looked very nice. Because the sun beds are beige some of them look a bit grubby (this appears to be the main complaint from other reviewers) but I guess by placing a poolside towel over them then all should be fine? At all times there was always plenty available and many secluded places to move them to if you wanted to have some space (we stayed in mid Sept and were informed the hotel was full but as it is so large there was never an impression that it was crowded).
Cleanliness – absolutely spotless. Can’t recall ever seeing one piece of rubbish lying on the floor throughout our stay. The pool side toilets in the Adult only Volcan Club were immaculate (didn’t try the ones in the main part of the hotel but I would be surprised if they were not the same). They were as good as what you would expect to find inside in a good 5* UK hotel.
Breakfasts – really nice, everything you could want.
Lunches – great choice, lovely food and reasonably cheap (6 – 10 euros) for a 5* hotel as were the drinks (3 euros for a small beers or wine).
Adult only Club Volcan section – loved it! Very relaxing especially if you can obtain one of the Balinese beds. Small heated swimming pool with a swim up-to pool bar. Inclusive afternoon tea and cakes served from 4pm and an inclusive bar from 6pm to 9pm. Only complaint I can think of is that some of the older guests who wanted to meet others and relax in the inside club lounge area during this time found it a bit small so if you couldn’t find a seat in that you area you had to sit a table elsewhere or by the pool. As the inclusive bar closes at 9pm you will have enter the main part of the hotel if you want a drink after this time but surely this is no hardship as it’s only a couple of minutes’ walk and well worth doing as it is so pretty and charming (monks singing, waterfalls etc.) Plenty of sun beds. If you want one of the very relaxing Balinese beds you will probably need to bag one before 9am.
Our room was on the 6th floor. This floor and the 7th are the best floors for views and to be located away from the pool area in the Adult only Club Volcan section.
Negatives/suggestions to the management
Apart from the previously documented perceived issues with some of the sun beds in the main section of the hotel and the small Adult only Club Volcan lounge then there is nothing honestly that I can think off that would be a concern or needs improving providing you are not looking for a hotel that is high on entertainment and you have children over the age of five.
We can’t wait to return for many years to come.
Finally – we eat at the following lovely and charming restaurants and they all come highly recommended (prices for a two course meal, wine, and liquors between 60e – 100e).
For a special romantic night try either La Cocina De Colaclo (10 mins walk from the back of the hotel away from the marina), Romantica or La Chalanite, (both located in Playa Blanca overlooking the beach/harbour on the first floor).
For great tapas and views of the marina and only five mins walk from the front of the hotel then you won’t find a better place than Terraza La Cubierta.
For a cheaper option (great for lunch or evening and ‘people watching’) then please try Restaurant Volcan De Timanfaye. It’s located in a great spot on the front at Playa Blanca.
I hope you have a lovely time staying at the Volcan and in Playa Blanca as much as we did.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hotel THe Volcán Lanzarote is placed in the South of Lanzarote, the island of the volcanoes. This is a five-star-resort that is distinguished by its excellence and its privileged location. With the yachting port Marina Rubicón at its feet and facing the sea, you will find this spectacular hotel designed as a typical village of Lanzarote. At it you will admire the distinctive architecture of the island. But you will also discover true replicas of emblematic places of the island like the church of Nuestra Señora de Guadalupe in Teguise at its entrance, or La Geria at its solarium. Hotel THe Volcán Lanzarote disposes of 255 rooms, five pools, four restaurants, three bars, conference rooms, a spa center and a gym. In addition, in Hotel THe Volcán Lanzarote you can enjoy a new exclusivity concept at its Club Volcán, an area only for adults. Hotel THe Volcán Lanzarote features 255 rooms that are distributed over twenty typical houses and give magnificent views of Lanzarote, Fuerteventura and Lobos Island. Designed taking care of every detail and where the sea blue colour stands up, we put at your disposal three room categories: the comfortable Double Room (Garden View, Sea View, Pool View), the elegant Junior Suite (Garden View, Pool View) and the outstanding Suite (Garden View, Sea View, Pool View). Following a new concept of luxury and privacy, we dispose of 48 rooms that form the Club Volcán, exclusively for adults. In the categories Double, Junior Suite and Suite, every room enjoys spectacular sea views. Hotel THe Volcán Lanzarote puts at your disposal a wide range of entertainment, sports, leisure and relaxing offers, providing an exquisite treat and service. Moreover, from the hotel you can directly access Marina Rubicón, which disposes of an ample shopping and leisure area. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Orbitz, getaroom.com, Hotwire, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Hotel THe Volcan Lanzarote reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gran Melia Playa Blanca
- Sol Melia Playa Blanca
- Gran Melia Volcan Lanzarote
- Hotel THe Volcan Lanzarote Playa Blanca