“Good adults only option”

Hotel THe Volcan Lanzarote
Ranked #6 of 37 Hotels in Playa Blanca
Camberley England
“Good adults only option”
Reviewed September 20, 2013

We specifically chose this hotel because of their adults only option which we paid extra for. The rooms were a really good size with plenty of amenities. I found the bed comfortable but it was too hard for my husband. We chose the B&B option as we prefer to eat out at restaurants of which there are some excellent choices on the Marina. However we were highly recommended the Japanese restaurant within the hotel by other guests but unfortunately ran out of time to pay a visit. Breakfast was very good with plenty of choice. Most of the staff were very helpful and worked hard and in particular Warnel and Raquel who were delightful. Also all of the reception staff we dealt with were very good.
The pool area within the club was good with a small pool just right for cooling off in and also a poolside bar. The cabanas were a nice touch and the sunbeds were just ok and could do with a good clean as there is a build up of suntan lotion on the arms. We did mention this but nothing was done during our stay. It was good relaxing area with no annoying piped music (or other peoples) Most guests kept their mobile phone usage to a minimum and was not a problem. However it was really too quiet and therefore if you had any conversation whatsoever you could feel disparaging glares from a couple of other guests which made us feel uncomfortable and was a real shame to an otherwise enjoyable relaxing week. We don't know where you can achieve a happy medium in this respect really
This was our first trip to Lanzarote and we had a good relaxing week which was all we required and this hotel is a good choice.

2 Thank chrissym52
HotelVolcanLanzarote, General Manager at Hotel THe Volcan Lanzarote, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for the positive comments concerning your stay at the Hotel.

We hope to see you back in Lanzarote in the near future.

Sincerely

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,095)
  • Polish first
Buckinghamshire
Reviewed September 20, 2013

We booked this hotel on recommendation but have to say if was a failed one. To start I have to say the staff were unfailingly helpful and pleasant. We booked into the club volcan but unlike the write up we booked in athe general desk and had to wait quite a time as all staff were busy not a good star. By the way recetion is right round the corner so keep going. On our 1st day we believed the write up we didnt need to book sun loungers well I have to say this was right but u do have to book umbrellas not enough or any where near. so on the 1st day had to keep going in and out but still managed to get burnt with factor 30 so all be careful. We then found that u only get 1 linen change so be careful how wet u get ur towels on ur 1st shower. Towels around the pool appeared to be plentiful until sunday when they werent short but non existent!!! The courtesey try in club is meant to be topped up daily ours was done x1. The pm buffet on site was excelent as was the afternoon tea and breakfast. So we didnt venture out to eat that often but there was plently on offer. If you like a bit of shopping on ur holiday this was not the place unless u want clothes or beach parafenalia. This was not a 5* hotel as I have previously experienced or would want to experience again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank Boxer7199
Dear Guest

We sincerely apologize for the comments stated in your hotel review. I have shared your comments with all members of our management team in order for us to improve our overall quality of service.

Chelmsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 20, 2013

We booked with Thomas Cook and had priority transfers straight to the Volcan.
Reception.
On arrival nice calming music as you walk through to reception where you are dealt with rapidly and given a nice cocktail. Raf was brilliant.
Bedroom.
Our bedroom was large with a view overlloking the marina although it was partly shaded by a tree. I had a problem with my safe which was dealt with within 5 minutes.
The beds are huge and although hard we had no problem sleeping. We also had a nice touch from the manager with a bottle of Cava as this was our anniversary.
Pool.
The main pool is large and cold at times. The whole pool area needs attention and the sunbeds do need changing the cushions are in a bad state. It was great to have waitress service around the pool and the staff around the pool and pool bar were very friendly. It is veru quite around the pool and some days you could not hear a pin drop so if you want entertainment around the pool forgit it. The areas around the pool i feel could have some background music.
Dining
We ate several lunch times at the Yaizia restaurant wher you can sit outside and have great food along with large portions. I forget the managers name but him along with Gabbriella were great.
The main restaurant was very peacefull and the breakfast just fantastic a choice for all.
The evening food was just as good with a large selection. Because we booked with Thomas Cook we had the choice to eat out in the marina area at several restaurants in exchange for our hotel meal. We made full use of this and enjoyed some fantastic meals, one of which was fresh tuna which my wife described as the best she had ever eaten.
We laso ate in the Italian in the hotel which again was very good although not much atmosphere.

There are a lot of people moaning about the Wi-Fi but you are supposed to be relaxing and not looking at emails ect.

The Marina area is wonderfull and as soon as you are out of the back gate of the hotel you step right into the Marina with nice relaxing bars and large drinks.

All in all we had a great laugh and a very relaxing holiday. If you want quite go to the Volcan if you are after lots of entertainment and daytime activity this is not for you.
well done The Volcan and all the great staff for making my stay relaxing and peaceful and to my brother and sister in-law for making a great hoilday. I will return in the near future.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Neil W
Dear Guest

Thank you very much For the positive feedback.

We are in the process of purchasing new sunbeds and cushions, we sincerely apologize for the inconveniences.

Sheerness
Reviewed September 19, 2013

We had not been to Lanzerote before and have just returned from a wonderful experience staying at the Hotel Volcan. Not only was it a wonderful location immediately next to the Marina, but the general impression we had was that the Hotel is worth the 5 star rating. Excellent choice of food on full board basis but with options to swap meals at local marina Resteraunts. Staff were friendly and service was excellent. We would thoroughly recommend this Hotel.

Room Tip: If you can afford the Club Volcan options they are well worth the additional expense.
1 Thank Kentship
Dear Guest

We thank you very much for the positive feedback after spending your holidays in the Hotel.

Shipston on Stour, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 19, 2013

This Hotel lives up to the group name, THE (Total Hotel Experience). Everything was quite perfect. The Staff are helpful, pleasant and very smiley,nothing is too much trouble. We had a standard room which was enormous, more like a junior suite than a standard room. There was a mini fridge for your milk and drinks, a safe, the toiletries were high quality and towels were changed daily. We were half-board and the buffet at both breakfast and dinner had a huge range of lovely food. There were
two chefs at each meal preparing fresh dishes. There were two pool areas both of which were excellent.

The onsite snack-bar and daytime Yaiza restaurant were both good value with a wide choice if light meals.

The Marina Rubicon immediately adjacent to the hotel has some excellent restaurants and bars with some high quality shops also.

All in all a wonderful holiday at a keen price through Jet2Holidays.

Dear Guest

Thank you very much for your comments.

Reviewed September 17, 2013

Volcan, Lanzarote

Two days into our holiday at the Volcan, Lanzarote. I would have only given it three stars. Today, almost at the very end, I am upgrading that to 3.5. I feel bound to write something - I am not a regular contributor to Trip Advisor - because my wife, who is a constant visitor to the site, has been telling me for months that this hotel invariably attracts five stars. This is simply not the case and something needs to be done to jerk this potentially Five Star establishment out of its complacency.

The downside has been threefold: a very ordinary buffet dining restaurant; the utter lack of wi-fi throughout our week-long stay; and the presence of ants in our children's room on two separate evenings. I will deal with this last first because, in fairness, it was addressed quickly on both occasions and a gesture - a second night in the Italian restaurant (see below) and the opportunity to retain one of our four rooms until late afternoon on the day of our departure - was made and accepted.

All the rooms are spacious but our children’s room backed out, not on to a simple balcony as did the majority, but on to a configuration of rocks that gave the impression of a cave and hence the label, “Bat Cave”. It obviously stopped down the light - which actually wasn’t a problem for the younger element - but possibly promoted the presence of ants. Whatever the reason, they marched into the room on two different evenings and set up camp in Harriet’s suitcase in which she had chosen to leave her underwear. “Ants in the Pants” was the cause of much mirth to her twin brothers with whom she shared but this was not a pleasant experience. The ants were finally vanquished at the second attempt on our third evening.

Being particular about our food - I wouldn’t go so far as to say we are foodies - we found the buffet dining all too bland. Although I am not a great fan of this style of eating, I could recommend the restaurants at both Las Gaviotas Suites, Majorca, and the Sheraton, Teneriffe, and therefore am used to constructing an attractive three-course meal. We arrived late on the first day and I was prepared to give the mistranslated “fillet of beef” the benefit of the doubt - it was tough, however - but the lamb cutlet on the second night was simply unacceptable. One of my sons quite reasonably suggested I should just reject it and try and choose something else rather than denigrate the restaurant. I guess I come from a school of thought which says you eat what you put on your plate....

The third night was relieved through a visit to the hotel’s Italian restaurant. This, however, is a small eating area and perhaps as a consequence lacks atmosphere. The food was good it must be said although as half-board guests we were a little restricted in what we could choose and only permitted to visit the Italian once!

Reluctantly then we returned to the buffet on the fourth evening and were pleasantly surprised by an array of tapas style dishes! I main coursed on barbecued pork on a bed of aromatic rice with a side of vegetables.

Somewhere along the line we failed to comprehend that, although the hotel boasts three quite different restaurants, half-board guests can only dine once in the Italian and receive a 20% discount in the Japanese. Disappointing, if the buffet is not firing on all cylinders. Nonetheless, we wanted to try the Japanese and it was a spectacular success! The food, theatrically show-cooked in front of us, was magnificent, and the whole evening was a grand experience. For a complete appraisal of this particular evening, see my daughter’s food blog: http://thesunniersideup.blogspot.co.uk/2013/09/kazan-japanese-in-lanarote.html

For me, the biggest problem, however, was the lack of wi-fi in the hotel itself for the whole of our week. We consulted the management but all they could say was that there was wi-fi - especially in the area near reception - and that we should be patient. We run our own business and, while others look after most things in our absence, I do need to see and respond to certain e-mails. I would readily accept that I am not the savviest when it comes to modern technology but my children certainly are and there simply was no signal to be found, let alone sustained.

The upside of this disappointment was that we had to go down to the nearby marina every day and seek a signal in the wonderful Blue Note restaurant and jazz bar (see my daughter’s blog). That it was readily available down in the marina does beg a question or two of the hotel....

Make no mistake, there is much to recommend this hotel and it is a shame I have had to focus on the negative. The spaciousness of the rooms, the general cleanliness, the easy availability of chairs around the pool (we favoured the quieter smaller pool, admittedly) and a pleasant ambience throughout spring readily to mind.

Ants may continue to cause the odd upset. The wi-fi should be addressed and presumably can be solved. My suggestion, for what it’s worth, for the restaurant is that perhaps there should be a theme to each evening, eg. Spanish, Canarian, Mediterranean, etc. This has worked well enough in other hotels we have stayed at and especially at the Sheraton mentioned above. This restaurant also displayed what was on offer that evening which not only whet the appetite but somehow made it simpler to construct your meal. I don’t believe these suggestions would be too difficult to implement and could make a very appreciable difference. I would like to think we might return to a Five Star hotel....

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Caroline R
HotelVolcanLanzarote, General Manager at Hotel THe Volcan Lanzarote, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Dear Caroline,
Thank you very much for have chosen our Hotel Volcan Lanzarote to have a relaxing vacation here on the Canary Islands and also for writing a review about your experience in our Hotel. We feel really sorry for the inconvenience during your stay. Our main goal is to ensure a memorable holiday to our beloved guests and we would like to apologize to not being able to reach your expectations. We analyzed all your comments and take a good note about it. We wish you all the best and our kindest regards, The Hotel Volcan Management.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 16, 2013

The hotel appears nice when you first enter. Thats where any mention of 5* ends. The hotel itself has no atmosphere and has little or no facilities or entertainment to cater for families. The pool area is looking very tired and is in desperate need of a refurb. The original room we were put in faced a building site with roaming cats housed on the balcony. After complaining we did get moved to a room with a view facing the pool, not great but better. I have stayed in many 5* hotels and this definitely falls short from the rest.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Jason W
Dear Guest
Thank you for sharing your experience about your stay at Hotel Volcán Lanzarote. We sincerely apologize for not meeting your expectations about our hotel. We wish you all the best and send you our kindest regards,
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Blanca
SENTIDO H10 White Suites
SENTIDO H10 White Suites
#8 of 37 in Playa Blanca
Melia Salinas - Adults recommended

Been to Hotel THe Volcan Lanzarote? Share your experiences!