“Lovely relaxing holiday” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 37 Hotels in Playa Blanca
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Lovely relaxing holiday”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2012

Booked this hotel via Hotels for U and felt that we got a good deal for £500 for a double room bed and breakfast (flights additional). Staff were very friendly and given maps of the area as well as welcome drinks on arrival. Rooms were excellent, well equiped with toiletries, a fridge in the room where you could store any food you wished. Breakfast was a feast, however by day 4 it was difficult to muster any appetite. Loads to choose from, however some of the meat and cheese looked a little dried out. Nice quiet area and only a short walk from a beach and livelier area if wished to visit. It may have been nice to have someone visiting the poolsides to take drink orders. The pool bar didn't seem to be open very often and unfortunately while we were there they were refurbishing the main pool. Despite this, as the hotel wasn't that busy and there was a small pool right outside our room it wasn't a problem. The recession seems to have hit the area as many shops were empty, however would definately recommend if you are looking for a relaxing time in the sun.

6 Thank Rachel M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,053)
  • Polish first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2012

We have just returned home after spending a very nice fortnight at this hotel. Some people have commented on the welcome cocktails they received, and porter service to their rooms. We arrived around 1.00pm and were not offered a welcome drink. After checking in we were told to wait and that the porter would assist us to our room. There didn't appear to be any queuing system, so after standing for 20 mins, and seeing two couples who checked in after us having their cases loaded onto a trolley and disappearing with the porter, I asked at reception for guidance and we just made our own way to our room. The hotel is very nice and is well looked after by very friendly staff. If however you have experience of 5* hotels in the UK, this does not really compare. Our room, 468, looked out onto a small enclosed garden with around 10 large trees. We therefore had no view at all and the room was very dark. I suppose the only plus point in that is that it was very quiet at night. The main pool didn't look very inviting to us as the floor of it was in a poor state. Half way through our second week we noticed that the pool water level had reduced somewhat. It turned out that it was being drained for refurbishment. This also incorporated removing all of the sun beds and umbrellas from that area, which must have been 50% of the hotels' total. The result of this was that it became difficult to find an area to lie in with an umbrella. If you arrived during this work, it would be understandable if you felt a bit cheated as the advertised service would not be provided. Like a previous commentator we had a slightly frustrating time with the (probably the same) waitress who it turned out was asking for my room card to charge our drinks to. We laughed that off along with another couple of guests who had just had the same experience. You'd think that the staff would at least be required to learn the English for "card" given that she must ask the same thing dozens of times a day. The food in the restaurant was generally very good. There was the odd time where the temperature of some dishes could have been a bit higher, but that is typical of this type of buffet service. There were always very hot plates available, which helped. One thing that did annoy us intensely was that every breakfast time a sparrow would fly into the restaurant and land on, or beside the bread, which was located on a large central island table. The staff did shoo it away but as soon as they did it would be back. One day the bird even had it's young with it and proceeded to feed it with bread. I feel this could be addressed by either enclosing the bread in a container or fitting beads or strips to the doors. As far as entertainment in the hotel goes, this is restricted to a duo who perform in the lobby bar by reception 3 times a week. We preferred to go to the front of the marina area where we found a very nice bar called the Blue Note Jazz Bar. There was an excellent pianist playing there most evenings, and he was joined by a very good lady singer for 2 nights at the weekend. We spent many enjoyable evenings there. If you prefer you can walk along to the main resort where there are your typical karaoke and Irish bars etc, some with live entertainment. We did this on one occasion but quickly decided that we preferred the quieter Marina Rubicon area. We would return to this hotel, however only if we could be assured that we would be given a room with some kind of view and a degree of natural light.

2 Thank Alan186525
Lytham St Anne's, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2012

Just returned from a repeat visit to the Volcan after a very enjoyable holiday.The hotel,under new ownership,is showing signs of improvement in many aspects.The hotel Directors are very approachable and are often seen about the public areas talking to the guests.
The quality of the food in the restaurant has been improved both at breakfast and evening meals.Copious amounts of fresh fruits and berries,yogurts,smoked salmon,eggs cooked to order,fried,poached,boiled,omelets etc make for a lovely breakfast.My wife is Ceoliac and there is special area for the gluten free food and this time even a dedicated toaster for the bread.! Evening meals are buffet style and there is large choice of Fish and Meat available.Fresh cooked chickens/ducks carved for you some nights.The chef is always available if you have any queries and is happy to help as are all the staff.
The lagoon size pool is losing some of its white painted lining but this does not affect the cleanliness of the pool.The pool does feel cool when you enter,after lying in the hot sun, but once in it is perfect for swimming.The sunbeds and covers are looking past their best but are ok with the beach towels supplied by the hotel.The hotel grounds are very spacious with many areas to sunbathe and are kept immaculate.
The rooms are very spacious and kept very clean by the friendly housemaids.A previous reviewer felt disappointed that the bed was only changed every 3 days ( what are they doing in bed !!) but we are more than happy with this.The towels are changed daily.There is a small fridge for you to use and a free safe for your valuables.
The night life in the hotel is very subdued but there are some nice bars on the Marina a short stroll away.
The hotel is a beautiful place to relax and unwind in a stunning setting,looked after by the most hospitable staff.We are looking forward to returning.....

4 Thank MrsTDrBob
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2012

Have just returned from a 7 nights stay at this hotel with my wife, we booked through Travel Republic and including flights from Manchester, staying half board in a standard room with a sea view the cost was £650 each.

Upon arrival I was blown away by the monastery entrance with the piped music of monks singing and main reception in the volcano shaped main building. Cocktails on arrival and concierge help with luggage were great 5 star touches.

The room was fantastic, large and tastefully decorated with a great view over Marina Rubicon and sea, nice balcony and ok the balcony furniture was a little’ tired’ but so far so good, I really thought I’d arrived in holiday heaven. The room had a fridge, dressing table, safe, and even an umbrella in the wardrobe, a television with 30 plus channels, only 2 English speaking though and the rest either Spanish or 6 German speaking.

The pool area is unusual with two separate pools, the first appearing to flow out of the ‘jungle’ area in the main hotel lobby, with the second on a lower level but this a larger pool meandering around several sun lounger areas and under the main restaurant. During the week we never had any problem getting a sun lounger. A couple of negatives, the pool area did have chipped paint around the sides which did give an unkempt impression, the sun loungers were old and the covers in need of repair.

On the evening of our first night I arrived at the ‘Buffet Restaurant’ to enjoy my 5 star evening meal. I was greeted and shown to a table in the conservatory area. Restaurant is large and very busy. Up to this point I was enjoying my holiday, my wife and I commented how we’d managed to find this hidden gem. The waitress came to take our drinks order, she spoke directly to my wife but totally ignored me. I tried to catch her attention but was blanked, I had to leave my seat and chase after her to give my order. Upon catching her she was obviously annoyed that I’d given her an extra drink order. When the drinks arrived I was again blanked and made to feel as though I didn’t exist. The waitress gave the bill to my wife to sign and made no attempt to even acknowledge me. Dear reader I’m a 48 year old middle class company director from Cheshire and I’m left feeling like a leper with a serious BO problem. We however laughed the incident off putting it down to the eccentricities of the Spanish plus a very busy waitress.

The choice of food was plentiful, however the quality and taste although not bad was I’m sorry to say overall average and bland. I think they tried to give too much choice, falling into the common pit fall of doing too many dishes poorly rather than a few but doing them well. The staff did seem extremely busy at all times, and I did notice during the week various official looking men and women with clip boards in the restaurant observing what was going on and making notes. They obviously know they have problems, my advice from what I observed 1. Less choice but better quality 2. Hire more staff so the atmosphere in the restaurant is not so stressed and rushed. Some of the food served also was not to the English taste, I struggled with Rabbit and although I like pork, having the ‘pig’s trotter’ attached did turn my stomach.

Sorry to go on about this point, I did have a further ‘incident’ when I ordered drinks for the table and another waitress who started having a stress attack at me, she couldn’t speak English and thus she kept repeating herself in Spanish but became more agitated and louder with each ‘request’. The whole restaurant was looking at us, which was very embarrassing. She then asked a German couple on the next table to translate, turns out she wanted my room key card to charge the drinks to, this was a new procedure as previously you were asked just to sign a chitty and input room number. I did make a formal complaint about this incident to hotel management.

We did have lunch and used the lobby bar and the experiences here were totally different with Pedro the bar man being absolute pleasure and looking geniunly pleased to see a guest, and I think it’s spelt ‘Nemiseo’ the pool waiter who was also a real joy. Both engaged the customer and made one feel valued, defiantly five star service. The quality and choice of the lunch menu was second to none and a totally different experience to the main restaurant.

The restaurant or ‘Slop Shop’ as we ended up calling it was generally poor right the way through the holiday. The breakfast experience was improved, the quality of food better however some issues here being; the cereal which is an English favourite is separate from the milk which is on the other side of the restaurant, both are separate from the spoons needed to eat cereal. The traditional cooked English breakfast is on the counter which is where a chef prepares food on request and live. There are almost constant queues in this area which prevents access to the serving dishes which contain the eggs, bacon, sausages etc. the other English favourites. I did get the feel that this hotel didn’t really cater for the English.

I did enjoy my stay at this hotel and would return, the next time however would be on a B & B basis, there’re numerous high quality reasonable prised restaurants in the Marina which is only 5 minutes walk from the main hotel.

So in summary Hotel and everything to do with the hotel except the restaurant 10 out of 10, restaurant 0 out of 10! Thus the average rating overall.

3 Thank PhilBarker
Lancaster, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2012 via mobile

We loved our time in the Hotel Volcan, it's in a great location and suitable for those wanting a quiet holiday in a lovely setting. The food is great and the staff are attentive, polite and very hardworking. The hotel is an artistic design with much attention to detail if you take the time to look around. We had a lovely room overlooking the marina which was a volcan suite. They gave us cake and cava on my husbands birthday! Nothing is too much trouble for the staff.
The beach is 10 minutes and main town 20 minutes walk.
Loved the bars on the marina especially Global house. We will be back definately !
Best suited for couples and those with very young children.

Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Deadstocksports D
staffordshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2012

We stayed here from the 19th to the 26th April and had a quiet relaxing holiday. Our first time in Lanzarote, we found it quieter,and great value for money compared with Tenerife where we usually holiday. This hotel is very much as described in previous reviews, a good 4 star ,not 5. A good location if you like a walk , stroll in the day or evening. Well located for eating out, loads of places to eat and drink , some good some not so good. The hotel provides an excellent breakfast in a pleasant room, everything you could want is provided. The staff ,we felt are working very hard ,but the people are a little flat.they don't seem to have anyone leading from the front. We did not eat any other meals in the hotel.
The hotel needs to urgently update things like sunbeds and their covers, pool towels, pool needs repairing along the edges, soft furnishings in the reception areas all these things are looking worn and little sad. Our room was very comfortable,and clean . We had a pleasant garden facing room on the ground floor but we spotted some rooms that looked very dark or faced walls. We had a fridge and a kettle at our disposal and this was great as the supermarket is very close and we could have anything we wanted. However our bedding was only changed once midweek (Not what normally happens in a 5 star hotel) I hope they do something to update this it would be sad to think this place slipped down the rankings as it is in a great spot and we did have a super holiday. I do hope this review doesn't put anyone off the hotel,we did have a great time but you need to be ready for what it is like.

Room Tip: Book a marina/sea view if you can afford . We were lucky we ended with a good spot but we heard abou...
2 Thank beechnut_10
west sussex
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2012

Have just returned from a 5 night stay at the Volcan. Situated in the Marina Rubican area of Playa Blanca the hotel is beautifully situated in the quietest and i think the nicer area of the resort but it is just a 20min stroll along the sea front to the main area of Playa Blanca. Stunning entrance lobby, previously an old chapel , we arrived in the evening and the area was beautifully lit by candles with monastic style music. Reception staff excellent, extremely helpful as were all the staff we came in contact with. Nice touch being the cocktail on arrival. Had just booked a standard room and this was more than adequate, overlooked the pool on the ground floor, was comfortable and spacious. No charge for safe in room, a good bathroom/shower with nice complimentary toiletries supplied. Breakfast was excellent, very good choice of hot and cold dishes, the restaurant seemed fairly busy at breakfast time but where these guests went in the day i don't know as the pool area was fairly empty! Yes the pool area does need a lick of paint in places but it was an tranquil oasis for a very relaxing few hours. Ater such a good breakfast we found that we did'nt need lunch and sampled some of the excellent restaurants in the marina for dinner in the evening ( take some trousers, jumpers with you as it does get very chilly in the evening at this time of year). Entertainment in the hotel low key but they had a couple of nights of a very pleasing spansh keyboard player and lady singers which seemed to be enjoyed by all. Hire a car and visit some of the lovely areas in the north of the island as well as the famous national park. To summarise not a 5 star hotel as we know them such as the Ritz etc in London, but then you're not paying anything like those prices!

7 Thank westsussexgirl_10
Hesperia Playa Dorada
Hesperia Playa Dorada
#17 of 37 in Playa Blanca
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,871 reviews

Been to Hotel THe Volcan Lanzarote? Share your experiences!