“A tale of two cities”

Hotel THe Volcan Lanzarote
Ranked #7 of 37 Hotels in Playa Blanca
Reviewed May 16, 2012

Have just returned from a 7 nights stay at this hotel with my wife, we booked through Travel Republic and including flights from Manchester, staying half board in a standard room with a sea view the cost was £650 each.

Upon arrival I was blown away by the monastery entrance with the piped music of monks singing and main reception in the volcano shaped main building. Cocktails on arrival and concierge help with luggage were great 5 star touches.

The room was fantastic, large and tastefully decorated with a great view over Marina Rubicon and sea, nice balcony and ok the balcony furniture was a little’ tired’ but so far so good, I really thought I’d arrived in holiday heaven. The room had a fridge, dressing table, safe, and even an umbrella in the wardrobe, a television with 30 plus channels, only 2 English speaking though and the rest either Spanish or 6 German speaking.

The pool area is unusual with two separate pools, the first appearing to flow out of the ‘jungle’ area in the main hotel lobby, with the second on a lower level but this a larger pool meandering around several sun lounger areas and under the main restaurant. During the week we never had any problem getting a sun lounger. A couple of negatives, the pool area did have chipped paint around the sides which did give an unkempt impression, the sun loungers were old and the covers in need of repair.

On the evening of our first night I arrived at the ‘Buffet Restaurant’ to enjoy my 5 star evening meal. I was greeted and shown to a table in the conservatory area. Restaurant is large and very busy. Up to this point I was enjoying my holiday, my wife and I commented how we’d managed to find this hidden gem. The waitress came to take our drinks order, she spoke directly to my wife but totally ignored me. I tried to catch her attention but was blanked, I had to leave my seat and chase after her to give my order. Upon catching her she was obviously annoyed that I’d given her an extra drink order. When the drinks arrived I was again blanked and made to feel as though I didn’t exist. The waitress gave the bill to my wife to sign and made no attempt to even acknowledge me. Dear reader I’m a 48 year old middle class company director from Cheshire and I’m left feeling like a leper with a serious BO problem. We however laughed the incident off putting it down to the eccentricities of the Spanish plus a very busy waitress.

The choice of food was plentiful, however the quality and taste although not bad was I’m sorry to say overall average and bland. I think they tried to give too much choice, falling into the common pit fall of doing too many dishes poorly rather than a few but doing them well. The staff did seem extremely busy at all times, and I did notice during the week various official looking men and women with clip boards in the restaurant observing what was going on and making notes. They obviously know they have problems, my advice from what I observed 1. Less choice but better quality 2. Hire more staff so the atmosphere in the restaurant is not so stressed and rushed. Some of the food served also was not to the English taste, I struggled with Rabbit and although I like pork, having the ‘pig’s trotter’ attached did turn my stomach.

Sorry to go on about this point, I did have a further ‘incident’ when I ordered drinks for the table and another waitress who started having a stress attack at me, she couldn’t speak English and thus she kept repeating herself in Spanish but became more agitated and louder with each ‘request’. The whole restaurant was looking at us, which was very embarrassing. She then asked a German couple on the next table to translate, turns out she wanted my room key card to charge the drinks to, this was a new procedure as previously you were asked just to sign a chitty and input room number. I did make a formal complaint about this incident to hotel management.

We did have lunch and used the lobby bar and the experiences here were totally different with Pedro the bar man being absolute pleasure and looking geniunly pleased to see a guest, and I think it’s spelt ‘Nemiseo’ the pool waiter who was also a real joy. Both engaged the customer and made one feel valued, defiantly five star service. The quality and choice of the lunch menu was second to none and a totally different experience to the main restaurant.

The restaurant or ‘Slop Shop’ as we ended up calling it was generally poor right the way through the holiday. The breakfast experience was improved, the quality of food better however some issues here being; the cereal which is an English favourite is separate from the milk which is on the other side of the restaurant, both are separate from the spoons needed to eat cereal. The traditional cooked English breakfast is on the counter which is where a chef prepares food on request and live. There are almost constant queues in this area which prevents access to the serving dishes which contain the eggs, bacon, sausages etc. the other English favourites. I did get the feel that this hotel didn’t really cater for the English.

I did enjoy my stay at this hotel and would return, the next time however would be on a B & B basis, there’re numerous high quality reasonable prised restaurants in the Marina which is only 5 minutes walk from the main hotel.

So in summary Hotel and everything to do with the hotel except the restaurant 10 out of 10, restaurant 0 out of 10! Thus the average rating overall.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank PhilBarker

Reviewed May 12, 2012

We loved our time in the Hotel Volcan, it's in a great location and suitable for those wanting a quiet holiday in a lovely setting. The food is great and the staff are attentive, polite and very hardworking. The hotel is an artistic design with much attention to detail if you take the time to look around. We had a lovely room overlooking the marina which was a volcan suite. They gave us cake and cava on my husbands birthday! Nothing is too much trouble for the staff.
The beach is 10 minutes and main town 20 minutes walk.
Loved the bars on the marina especially Global house. We will be back definately !
Best suited for couples and those with very young children.

Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank sheppy01
Reviewed May 4, 2012

We stayed here from the 19th to the 26th April and had a quiet relaxing holiday. Our first time in Lanzarote, we found it quieter,and great value for money compared with Tenerife where we usually holiday. This hotel is very much as described in previous reviews, a good 4 star ,not 5. A good location if you like a walk , stroll in the day or evening. Well located for eating out, loads of places to eat and drink , some good some not so good. The hotel provides an excellent breakfast in a pleasant room, everything you could want is provided. The staff ,we felt are working very hard ,but the people are a little flat.they don't seem to have anyone leading from the front. We did not eat any other meals in the hotel.
The hotel needs to urgently update things like sunbeds and their covers, pool towels, pool needs repairing along the edges, soft furnishings in the reception areas all these things are looking worn and little sad. Our room was very comfortable,and clean . We had a pleasant garden facing room on the ground floor but we spotted some rooms that looked very dark or faced walls. We had a fridge and a kettle at our disposal and this was great as the supermarket is very close and we could have anything we wanted. However our bedding was only changed once midweek (Not what normally happens in a 5 star hotel) I hope they do something to update this it would be sad to think this place slipped down the rankings as it is in a great spot and we did have a super holiday. I do hope this review doesn't put anyone off the hotel,we did have a great time but you need to be ready for what it is like.

Room Tip: Book a marina/sea view if you can afford . We were lucky we ended with a good spot but we heard abou...
2  Thank beechnut_10
Reviewed April 29, 2012

Have just returned from a 5 night stay at the Volcan. Situated in the Marina Rubican area of Playa Blanca the hotel is beautifully situated in the quietest and i think the nicer area of the resort but it is just a 20min stroll along the sea front to the main area of Playa Blanca. Stunning entrance lobby, previously an old chapel , we arrived in the evening and the area was beautifully lit by candles with monastic style music. Reception staff excellent, extremely helpful as were all the staff we came in contact with. Nice touch being the cocktail on arrival. Had just booked a standard room and this was more than adequate, overlooked the pool on the ground floor, was comfortable and spacious. No charge for safe in room, a good bathroom/shower with nice complimentary toiletries supplied. Breakfast was excellent, very good choice of hot and cold dishes, the restaurant seemed fairly busy at breakfast time but where these guests went in the day i don't know as the pool area was fairly empty! Yes the pool area does need a lick of paint in places but it was an tranquil oasis for a very relaxing few hours. Ater such a good breakfast we found that we did'nt need lunch and sampled some of the excellent restaurants in the marina for dinner in the evening ( take some trousers, jumpers with you as it does get very chilly in the evening at this time of year). Entertainment in the hotel low key but they had a couple of nights of a very pleasing spansh keyboard player and lady singers which seemed to be enjoyed by all. Hire a car and visit some of the lovely areas in the north of the island as well as the famous national park. To summarise not a 5 star hotel as we know them such as the Ritz etc in London, but then you're not paying anything like those prices!

7  Thank westsussexgirl_10
Reviewed April 28, 2012

Just returned from a week at the Volcan, lovely hotel pleasant surroundings perhaps as some others have mentioned it lacks a "central focus" and thus a meeting place with other guests. Rather strange entrance, don't be put off by the singing priests it's not really a church but rather relaxing music keep going and you'll come to the reception. There you will find friendly staff, a drink, and a very helpful explanation of arrangements for meals, the facilities, directions etc. Cases taken to our room, but no one on hand to take them back to reception on departure!
Now the hotel itself, good gym and indoor pool, plenty of outdoor space and pools, snacks if you're feeling peckish reasonably priced,stunning backdrop immediately inside the hotel next to a small "shop". Grounds immaculate, sunbeds a plenty, (rather worn I'm afraid), pools could do with a good clean, but it was early in the season and very few were having a swim.
Food first class, well presented plenty of choice and friendly staff all around to help, we thought one of the better restaurants we've experienced.
Not a lot of activity on an evening, again perhaps it was a little early in the season but we did feel the hotel was missing out on getting guests together even for a short while.
Our room was a delight, wonderful sea view (a must for this hotel) very large balcony, clean throughout, every type of little extras, including a brolly if required.
The immediate area has a marina, various shops (some very expensive) bars and various eateries very pleasant, and if you like a walk or a jog there is a 2 mile paved path along the coastline which is simply stunning. About 20 mins walk to the resort centre, more bars, shops etc, and a couple of small beaches.
Not quite 5 star, but well worth a visit you won't be disappointed located in a quite part of the resort, around 30 mins in a taxi from the airport. We found it very relaxing and the bars around the marina are first class!!

Room Tip: We had a corner room 452, other similar rooms seem to us to have best views etc.
5  Thank SebYorkUK
Reviewed April 27, 2012

The hotel is in a lovely location and the premises are good - our room was lovely and spacious, the facilities were good. The service and quality of food let this hotel down. I can see that it once was a 5 star hotel but it has the feel that costs are being cut and therefore service is suffering. There were limited staff available - one night there was no-one free to man the bar and therefore it was closed because there was an event in the hotel that all staff were working at. No-one walks around the pool / relaxation areas offering drinks or snacks and only two of the hotels 5 restaurants were open. My advice would be to only book B&B as there are lovely restaurants in the marina which is a very short stroll away.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank Forsbergs
Reviewed April 27, 2012

Was here for a week in April for a mini-honeymoon. Got a sea room view whcih I would recommend paying the extra for, not just because of the views but proximity to the pools, restaurants etc. Main reception / lobby was a fantastic sight. There were plenty of sun loungers for all residents. Breakfast was good although can get busy the later you leave it. Didn;t eat here for dinner as there are lots of good restaurants, particularly La Petite Marmite, nearby. Location was very good and the walk to Playa Blanca was not much. The walk back with a few glasses of wine and a dinner inside you was slightly longer! Overall I would recommend this hotel and will stay here if I come to Playa Blanca again

Room Tip: Get a sea room
1  Thank Furball01
#14 of 37 in Playa Blanca
H10 Sentido White Suites
H10 Sentido White Suites
#8 of 37 in Playa Blanca

Been to Hotel THe Volcan Lanzarote? Share your experiences!