“Disastrous Meal”

Casa Jose
Ranked #86 of 198 Restaurants in Playa Blanca
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Spanish
Good for: Large groups, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
“Disastrous Meal”
Reviewed March 15, 2013

My friend and I visited Case Jose and had the worst meal and service ever. We were told about a 3 fish dish special with no price quoted, which we declined. My friend ordered lasagne, only to be told it was off that day! and 1 goat stew, something I was looking forward to as I had never eaten goat. My friend then settled for a mixed pork platter. When they arrived hers looked like a plate of spam (remember that?) and salad, and mine was just a plate of dried up bones with meat attached with a few canarian potatoes. We decided to make the best of it, and eat what we were served as the communication was difficult. We also had a bottle of house wine. So that was 3 items.
When the bill arrived there were 5 items, some bread which we did not have, a 16 euro goat dish which I didn't order but apparently the dried up bones were very expensive !!! I pointed out to the waiter the meal we had ordered on the menu which with the wine totalled 25 euros, more than enough for the unappetising meal. But he insisted our bill was 35 euros. We put our 25 euros on the table and left, only to be pursued by a very angry young man, demanding more money, saying there was tax to pay ??? we begrudgingly left another 4 euros. I noticed on following days that while all the other restaurants around were packed, Casa Jose only had 2 or 3 people dining. A lesson to be learned I think!!

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank seasonedtraveller491

• Polish first
Playa Blanca, Spain
“A very disappointing meal”
Reviewed March 4, 2013

It was a wet and windy night and as we got out of the car we spottes Casa Jose across the road. It looked Ok and seemed to be busy. We ordered two starters, two mains and a bottle of house wine. The wine and bread arrived quckly. We then waited, and. waited about 40 minutes. A waiter then arrived with our main courses. He didn't understand when I tried to tell him we hadn't had our starters. There was no real apology although a young lady did bring four slices of cheese and four olives to keep us going.The starters arrived some 15-20 minutes later. It was some further 15-20 minutes before our main course arrived. . The food was pretty awful, fried bits of rabbit and salty potatoes, no veg. Service was terrible, no apologies . Not a place we'll visit again. I should have checked on Tripadvisor first!

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank Epernay51
Nijmegen, The Netherlands
“Very fresh Spanish food”
Reviewed March 3, 2013

If you want the real Spanish food experience with an only Spanish speaking waiter go here. Wonderful freshly grilled local fish, veggies and great homemade desserts. The local pub area is full off locals and the kids can walk around. Lovely!

Visited November 2012
Derby, United Kingdom
“Let Down”
Reviewed February 14, 2013

I read the notice in the window about the family origins of this restaurant and decided to give it a try in the evening.
We took our seat and ordered drinks. The noise from the back was a bit strange - I thought it was the sound of arguements in the kitchen - but it was from a bar area which was popular with the locals.
When we ordered we were told that we were "too late" for some items. This may have meant that they had sold out - but some items were fairly usual. Eventually we made our choice - with my wife settling for two starters (one as a main). We had some doubts as to whether this was understood. We waited, We waited, The waiter often seemed to be taking meals to the wrong tables. We waited, we ordered another drink, we waited. Eventually we decided to pay for the drinks and leave (along with another couple who were waiting longer than us.
Maybe it was a one-off bad night - but they really need to get a waiter who has a better understanding of the languages - or is more patient and takes trouble to understand. They also seem to lack a system which ensures food is eventually take to the correct table. I feel we experienced a "near miss".

• Visited February 2013
Traveller
“Tasty, tempting tapas”
Reviewed February 9, 2013

Casa Jose is a family run restaurant awat from the tourist attractions on the sea front of the popular resort of Playa Blanca.

The restaurant is quiet and peaceful. We had a delicious fish meal one evening. The fish was locally caught and cooked fresh. It was a delightful experience.

We returned a few days later to sample the tapas menu in the bar area.

This is a much more lively experience than the restaurant. The bar is full of locals and the choice of food on offer was varied and all of it delicious.

The patron gave us a free taster of a calderon she had just finished. It was exquisite. The bar is lively; the staff helpful and entertaining and the lunchtime food was superb and at a decent price

• Visited January 2013