“Choices of Restaurants in Playa Blanca”

La Chalanita Restaurante
Ranked #22 of 211 Restaurants in Playa Blanca
Cuisines: European, Grill, Wine Bar
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed August 25, 2013

We stayed at the Princess Yaiza Hotel and although the restaurants in the hotel were lovely its nice to find the local eating houses.
We didn't find much at the marina end of Playa Blanca, the restaurants were nice looking but the food didn't seem to match the décor and the prices were inflated slightly against the old town (opposite direction).
At the old town end we found two restaurants that we liked and were owner run and typically Canarian / Spanish. The first one is La Chalanita, which is upstairs if approaching from the promenade about 2 thirds towards the ferries from The Princess Yaiza Hotel. The food was lovely, staff & owner very attentive, flambés in front of you, prices very good, with your choices available in Playa Blanca, We visited 3 times during our week stay. highly recommended.

Sadly I can't remember the name of the other recommended restaurant, its pale green and white on the promenade about 30/40 feet before you reach La Chalanita just on the bend, Great for fish dishes & traditional paella, the owner seems a bit grumpy but he's not really. I'll add the name late if I think of it.

Reviewed August 25, 2013 via mobile

Visited this restaurant twice during our week in Playa Blanca, which says a lot!
It could be easy to miss the restaurant as it is not on the ground floor when on the promenade and the other entrance is on a back street. However, we chose it and sought it out because of trip advisor reviews and were not disappointed.
On both occasions we ate flambé steak with different sauces each time. Both meals were delicious and the accompanying potatoes on the first meal were also delicious.
One thing that could be improved is that some of the waiting staff are a bit stern but its not too much of an issue as the food makes up for it!

Reviewed August 12, 2013

Great location on the main promenade.
Menu choices are more polished and refined than most of the eateries in this resort. Slightly more formal atmosphere, but we didn't mind as longed for a more positive dining experience.
Returned here 3 times in 2 weeks - which I think speaks for itself!
Steaks were great, flambé at the table a novelty for our teenage girls. One dislike was the staff had a tendency to remove plates before everyone had finished. Other than that we loved this place and would highly recommend.

Reviewed August 11, 2013

We came here on a recommendation from my in laws who have a villa in PB for my birthday and rebooked straightaway when we returned to PB for mine and my husbands first anniversary.

The flambé steak was hands down the best main meal I have ever had, and the French onion soup as starter was beautiful. My husband also enjoyed it but is more purist about his steak so if you liken it plain this is not the dish for you as it is flambe and then cooked in a beautiful, quite alcoholic, pepper, creamy sauce - but still cooked to perfection.

The 5 stars is based on the food. The staff are perfectly nice although a little serious I felt but it didn't matter as I was too focused on the food!

Recommendation - book in advance to secure a window seat overlooking the sea, and order the flambé steak and extremely alcoholic flambé strawberries. You will also get to watch the flambe in action! Clearly I'm a little flambé mad.

Not a cheap visit if you go for all three courses but for a special meal it is a real gem!

1  Thank TheWelshs2012
Reviewed August 8, 2013

Can't fault them on food quality or location. Nice view over harbour from first floor - access from back street. Staff professional but stand offish. One of the dearest restaurants we attended and at the end of the day we felt got better value and just as good food elsewhere.