Like many of you I used Tripadvisor as my first stop when we started planning and researching for our family holiday. We are just back from Gran Castillo and we loved every minute. This is a wonderful hotel, kind and helpful staff with enough space, pools and food options for all the family. Its not a huge setup, but large enough to give both families (usually noisy when with small kids) and adults (usually keen on peace and quiet) space to relax and enjoy themselves.
I cannot speak highly enough of Angel Fernandez (hotel manager), Alex (kids club), Grit (reception), Pastor (waiter) and the big friendly fella working as the "griller" in the main restaurant and all the other staff at Gran Castillo. These people face holiday makers every day and without exception they remained friendly, courteous, helpful and attentive at all times. We had an unfortunate incident where a bag of my little girl's clothes was mistaken as a bag of rubbish and removed and binned. No scene was made, but I had a crying 5year old for a week as her favourite teddy was also in the bag. I met with Angel, we discussed the issue and we achieved a very amicable and reasonable solution with him hugely apologetic to the very last day.
For parents with small kids you will have heated pool options, a very good variety of food options for the most picky of eaters and a quiet environment in the evenings after a busy day of sun and swimming. If your little ones are over 4 years old, please, please, please do give them the opportunity to attend the mini-club and spend time with kids from other nationalities and most important spend time with Alex. This guy is great, full of energy and takes real ownership of interacting and entertaining the kids. They all adore him and love every day. The mini-disco in the evenings are also a must-do and the shows put on are fun, and much effort are made by the animation team. The entire team was wonderful, friendly, energetic and just the kindest bunch of folk going around. Our kids really did love them and without exception each one made a huge effort every day!
What could be better or be improved? The Italian restaurant Portifino could be much better. Lacks a bit of atmosphere and food on offer at dinner is average. That said the Asian restaurant and most definitely the main restaurant is excellent, with large varieties of food, and more than enough to go round for everyone. Fresh meat and fish each day and nothing is presented that's not fresh and up to standard.
They can do with providing more sun loungers and definitely more umbrellas at the kids pool areas especially for the kids that need some time out of the sun at some stage each day. They say they don't allow reservation of sun-beds each morning, but when you head for breakfast the majority of beds are already covered with towels. So, if you want a seat get up early and get your towels out. I have no issue with this, but then folk should at least turn up after breakfast and plonk themselves down. many seats remained unoccupied for large parts of the day whilst people spent time at other pools.
Rooms were spacious, comfortable, cleaned daily and with a turndown service each evening. Try to get a room on the 3rd floor or higher as you ill get more sun throughout the day and towards sunset. Spa is decent with modern facilities and a large variety of treatments. UK prices though!
All-in-all we loved the Gran Castillo and will most definitely return.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Like a grand castle which majestically dominates the seascape of the AtlanticOcean and its islands, the magnificent GRAN CASTILLO TAGORO is erected in the charming area of Playa Blanca, in the south of the volcanic isle par excellence: Lanzarote. With the conviction that elegance and comfort should come naturally, this Hotel is a tribute to 16th century Canary history and colonial architecture, inspired by the "Castle of San José" and the typical landscape of the island, blending in with the environment. The building is divided into different zones which maintain their colonial style, where the white facades and volcanic stone contrast with the backdrop of the deep blue ocean. A charming interior courtyard of Arab inspiration bathes the reception area with light, and the contemporary décor and pale colours create a warm and very elegant atmosphere. GRAN CASTILLO TAGORO pampers every detail of the rooms and suites, which have breathtaking views of the sea and surrounding scenery. They are decorated in a contemporary style, with marine touches, light-coloured wood and pale colours, creating a pleasant atmosphere full of light. The discerning selection of restaurants and cuisines serve Canary, national and international specialities. There are conference rooms featuring spearhead technology, and various outdoor zones for events of different kinds. The "Vitanova SPA" thalassotherapy centre provides the benefits of thermal seawater, and specific treatments for the body and soul. The Hotel features a wide range of facilities and services. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Booking.com, Travelocity, Hotwire, World Independent Hotel Promotion, Priceline, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly and Hotel.de so you can book your Gran Castillo Tagoro Family & Fun Playa Blanca reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Dream Gran Castillo Hotel Playa Blanca
- Dream Castillo Papagayo Lanzarote
- Gran Castillo Tagoro Family & Fun Playa Blanca Lanzarote