Just got back from a seven night stay at this hotel. Here is an honest review. I do hope the hotel takes the comments I have made as intended. I must stress that the hotel us wonderful and that we and our friends have all had a great stay.
Room- we were upgraded to a Junior Suite which was lovely as it had a very large terrace with sunbeds, table and chairs and a clothes airer. It had an extra bedroom as well as a separate lounge area with a sofa bed and a chair and a flat screen tv. Several English channels to choose from on the TV. Ceiling fans in each bedroom as well as air conditioning although we did not need to use this. The main bedroom had a super king size bed and two large wardrobes which contained 2 drawers in each one and a safe (free to use) in one of them. There was also another flat screen TV in here and a kettle and cups but no tea/coffee although you get what you needed from the bar/restaurant. Shame there was no iron/board although the hotel do have an ironing service but this seemed to be costly. The rooms were spacious. Sheets were changed twice during our weeks stay. There was a small fridge which you could have stocked if you called reception.
Bathroom- large but not as nice as the one in our friends superior pool view room. There was a nice deep bath with standard shower above it, Personally I would have preferred a separate shower. Range of quality toiletries was excellent, the best I gave ever seen and even included toothbrushes, toothpaste, shower gel, shampoo, conditioner, body lotion, shaving kit, bath crystals and a soap massage bar. There were lovely fluffy bathrobes and slippers.
The hotel itself is large as it used to be two hotels. This means the layout is somewhat confusing and it takes a while to find your way around. The staff are all really friendly and helpful. Entertainment is not very good really but I find this the case at most all inclusive hotels. The animation team does their very best but the entertainment does let the hotel down a little.
Pools - there are numerous pools on the complex, quiet ones as well as busy ones, some are heated. There is also a children's pool with slides as well as a nearby play area. Sunbeds round the quiet pool by the spa have mattresses so are a little more comfortable.
Spa - we had a free visit to the spa included during our stay and I have to say that this was most enjoyable. The spa hydroptherapy circuit is very relaxing and steam room and sauna use was included as well.
Bars - the service in these is great, the staff are all helpful and are happy to provide multiple drinks we did not have a problem in getting drinks for our party of 8. The drinks were great and some branded spirits were included just ask for them by name. The only way to improve here would be to provide waiter service, this would be nice.
Food- we ate at both of the a la carte restaurants. Both of these were very nice and the food was of good quality. The Chinese was the better of the two in my opinion simply because it felt like you were eating at a Chinese restaurant, whereas in the Italian you felt like it was a canteen, it lacked atmosphere. Service in both was excellent. You have to book the day before at reception to eat at either.
The buffet restaurant was excellent, it is very large. For breakfast and lunch you sit where you want and there is even an outdoor terrace area to sit at. The food is plentiful and of good quality, always plenty of choice and you would have to be extremely fussy not to find something that you liked here. I have stayed at many all inclusive hotels and the food here was the best I have come across. Of an evening the seating was allocated and you kept the same table throughout your stay. Two sittings each evening one at 1800 which seemed to be mainly families with children and one at 2030 which we asked to be allocated to.
The snack bars were great too, burgers, hotdogs, pizza, toasted sandwiches and salads. The food was of good quality. Fantastic service at the one by the large pool with a lady called Maria who worked extremely hard and was very friendly and helpful.
Access to the rocky beach was through a gate which could be accessed by using you room keyboard.
Cleanliness- at all times the hotel was immaculately clean, toilet facilities even by the pool areas were kept spotless.
Disabled access - suitable complex for those on wheelchairs or electric scooters as there was always a route with ramps, however as it is a very large complex those with walking difficulties might find it a little too spread out.
Our stay was most enjoyable and I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel. We don't usually return to the same hotel twice however I would make the exception for this complex as we were treated so well and facilities were so good.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Like a grand castle which majestically dominates the seascape of the AtlanticOcean and its islands, the magnificent GRAN CASTILLO TAGORO is erected in the charming area of Playa Blanca, in the south of the volcanic isle par excellence: Lanzarote. With the conviction that elegance and comfort should come naturally, this Hotel is a tribute to 16th century Canary history and colonial architecture, inspired by the "Castle of San José" and the typical landscape of the island, blending in with the environment. The building is divided into different zones which maintain their colonial style, where the white facades and volcanic stone contrast with the backdrop of the deep blue ocean. A charming interior courtyard of Arab inspiration bathes the reception area with light, and the contemporary décor and pale colours create a warm and very elegant atmosphere. GRAN CASTILLO TAGORO pampers every detail of the rooms and suites, which have breathtaking views of the sea and surrounding scenery. They are decorated in a contemporary style, with marine touches, light-coloured wood and pale colours, creating a pleasant atmosphere full of light. The discerning selection of restaurants and cuisines serve Canary, national and international specialities. There are conference rooms featuring spearhead technology, and various outdoor zones for events of different kinds. The "Vitanova SPA" thalassotherapy centre provides the benefits of thermal seawater, and specific treatments for the body and soul. The Hotel features a wide range of facilities and services. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotwire, Travelocity, World Independent Hotel Promotion, Hotels.com, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, HotelQuickly and Hotel.de so you can book your Gran Castillo Tagoro Family & Fun Playa Blanca reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Dream Gran Castillo Hotel Playa Blanca
- Dream Castillo Papagayo Lanzarote
- Gran Castillo Tagoro Family & Fun Playa Blanca Lanzarote