Just got back from a lovely 7 days at the Gran Castillo. Firstly lest get this star rating system out of the way - the whole system is flawed all over the world, so lets not get too concerned about if it is 5* quality or not.
To put things into perspective I worked out that it has just cost me £60 a night to stay here. That's for all drinks and food. I can think of many occasion that I have paid more than that for some grotty B&B in the UK.
So what of the hotel. I could compare it with its close neighbour the Sandos Papagayo which i stayed at earlier on this year. Both are very similar, for me the Gran Castillo has the better facilities and accomodation but I thought that the variety of food at the Sandos was slightly better. But that isn't to say that the food at the Gran Castillo isn't bad at all.
I will summarise my plus and nit picks:
General standard of quality of the place - well maintained
Size and quality of the room - huge with even a walk in wardrobe
Food - very good quality
Staff - couldn't so enough fro you
WiFi - free in reception area bit slow when others using it (have to pay for wifi in your room)
Food - maybe could have had a bit more to choose from
Drink - here's a tip. if you like spirits you have to ask for the named brands such as Smirnoff and Gordons
Drink - beer. Ok probably me being fussy about it but there's only a local beer available. No bottles of Coronita, Budweisser etc,
Spa - you get one free pass for a day. Don't think it's worth the upgrade.
I can't comment on the entertainment as I hate anything like that wherever I go so never ventured to see it.
But my main complaint is something the hotel cannot do anything about - some of it clients. Why, at feeding time, does it resemble a stampede at a local watering hole. Crazy. There's all this lovely food being presented to you spend half the time having to move out of people way pushing in to ensure they get their feed.
Would I go back - yes. Certainly at £60 a night. Would I go back at £160 a night, ermm not sure. That's the way I look at it. But there's a cut off point at most hotels isn't there.
p.s. I found a cockroach which, after purposely not telling the wife and hearing a screams when she was sat the toilet and noticed it, was quickly despatched down the pot. It's a warm climate, you get them!!!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Like a grand castle which majestically dominates the seascape of the AtlanticOcean and its islands, the magnificent GRAN CASTILLO TAGORO is erected in the charming area of Playa Blanca, in the south of the volcanic isle par excellence: Lanzarote. With the conviction that elegance and comfort should come naturally, this Hotel is a tribute to 16th century Canary history and colonial architecture, inspired by the "Castle of San José" and the typical landscape of the island, blending in with the environment. The building is divided into different zones which maintain their colonial style, where the white facades and volcanic stone contrast with the backdrop of the deep blue ocean. A charming interior courtyard of Arab inspiration bathes the reception area with light, and the contemporary décor and pale colours create a warm and very elegant atmosphere. GRAN CASTILLO TAGORO pampers every detail of the rooms and suites, which have breathtaking views of the sea and surrounding scenery. They are decorated in a contemporary style, with marine touches, light-coloured wood and pale colours, creating a pleasant atmosphere full of light. The discerning selection of restaurants and cuisines serve Canary, national and international specialities. There are conference rooms featuring spearhead technology, and various outdoor zones for events of different kinds. The "Vitanova SPA" thalassotherapy centre provides the benefits of thermal seawater, and specific treatments for the body and soul. The Hotel features a wide range of facilities and services. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Dreamplace Hotels & Resorts SL, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotwire and Cheap Tickets so you can book your Gran Castillo Tagoro Family & Fun Playa Blanca reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Dream Gran Castillo Hotel Playa Blanca
- Dream Castillo Papagayo Lanzarote
- Gran Castillo Tagoro Family & Fun Playa Blanca Lanzarote