We just spent 11 nights here as a group of 4 adults and 2 children (12 & 15). The hotel is lovely, very pleasing to the eye, lovely location close to the Rubicon marina, superb rooms, a choice of pool areas, good food and very hard working staff.
I won't repeat what everyone else has said but I will say that you really have to manage your expectations. Having travelled extensively and been a travel agent for 20 years in my opinion it is a very tall order for any all inclusive hotel to reach 5 star standards especially in the school holidays when they really are pushed to the limit. Very simply if you haven't paid true 5 star prices then you are not going to get a true 5 star holiday, it shouldn't be a suprise that you generally get what you pay for and we certainly did with this hotel. If you want proper 5 star then pay the higher price and book into the Volcan or the Princessa Yaiza.
The rooms are of the best we have had, we booked 2 rooms as our children are 12 & 15, I emailed to ask for interconnecting rooms and Javier the front office manager very kindly organised this for us which was much appreciated.
We ate in the main restaurant for breakfast and lunch which was great, a huge choice of good quality food, yes it is busy if you arrive 30 mins before the end of breakfast or lunch (particularly in the school holidays) you may have to wait for a table to be re-laid for you but the staff are so hard working it is very hard to criticise them, that said hotel could perhaps do with a few more waiters in this restaurant. We ate outside on the verandah when we could which was lovely. We prefer not to eat in a buffet restaurant in the evening so mainly used the Italian and Chinese restaurants which were both fantastic, they had such a great choice that we didn't manage to try everything that we wanted to. We also ate out 2 nights out of the 11 once at the maina and once in Playa Blanca in the harbour, purely because we like to experience the local area and have a change of scenery.
The walk along the coastal path is beautiful with views to Fuereventura and the Papagayo beaches, 5 minutes walk along the path towards the marina there are steps down to a pontoon (owned by the Iberostar Papagayo) where you can easily enter the sea to snorkle in the lovely crystal clear water so take your snorkle's although you can buy them from the hotel shop or in the shops next to the hotel. We took a couple of banana's from breakfast to feed the fish which the children loved.
As everyone has said the marina is lovely and especially worth a visit on a Wed and Sat for the market, we ate in the steakhouse there which was great. Playa Blanca is also lovely for a wander round, for shopping or to eat in one of the lovely harbourside restaurants, we took a taxi in and back which cost around €4 - €5 each way. We also got a taxi to the Playa Dorada beach in front of the Princessa Yaiza hotel which is a lovely beach, again cyrstal clear water although it does shelve quite steeply in places which is important to be aware of with children. Lanzarote as an island is a bit like being on the moon, very rocky and baron but Playa Blanca is lovely and the more upmarket of the resorts.
Lastly, one small niggle and I hate to name and shame but Israel the poolside fun police was a real pain. I appreciate he was only doing his job but he continually scolded and lectured adults and children alike after hiding behind bushes like MI5 trying to catch people who were breaking the pool rules such as balls, inflatables, diving and eating around the pool. We understand the no inflatables rule as the pools individually are not that large but no balls in the pool was rediculous so much so my husband spoke to the manager who agreed to compromise and allowed us to play with a small ball in the colder pool with the large shallow shelf as long as the pool wasn't overly busy, Israel was clearly livid that the manager had the sense the relax this rule. This is the main point that I feel needs addressing, Israel's manner was not condusive to good customer service, he remained sullen and surley unless of course he was pouncing on the holiday makers trying to have fun.
Overall we had a lovely holiday, it really is a great hotel and we would have no hesitation in returning.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Like a grand castle which majestically dominates the seascape of the AtlanticOcean and its islands, the magnificent GRAN CASTILLO TAGORO is erected in the charming area of Playa Blanca, in the south of the volcanic isle par excellence: Lanzarote. With the conviction that elegance and comfort should come naturally, this Hotel is a tribute to 16th century Canary history and colonial architecture, inspired by the "Castle of San José" and the typical landscape of the island, blending in with the environment. The building is divided into different zones which maintain their colonial style, where the white facades and volcanic stone contrast with the backdrop of the deep blue ocean. A charming interior courtyard of Arab inspiration bathes the reception area with light, and the contemporary décor and pale colours create a warm and very elegant atmosphere. GRAN CASTILLO TAGORO pampers every detail of the rooms and suites, which have breathtaking views of the sea and surrounding scenery. They are decorated in a contemporary style, with marine touches, light-coloured wood and pale colours, creating a pleasant atmosphere full of light. The discerning selection of restaurants and cuisines serve Canary, national and international specialities. There are conference rooms featuring spearhead technology, and various outdoor zones for events of different kinds. The "Vitanova SPA" thalassotherapy centre provides the benefits of thermal seawater, and specific treatments for the body and soul. The Hotel features a wide range of facilities and services. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Hotels.com, World Independent Hotel Promotion, Travelocity, Hotwire, Priceline, Cheap Tickets and HotelQuickly so you can book your Gran Castillo Tagoro Family & Fun Playa Blanca reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Dream Gran Castillo Hotel Playa Blanca
- Dream Castillo Papagayo Lanzarote
- Gran Castillo Tagoro Family & Fun Playa Blanca Lanzarote