“Exceptional 4* but not 5*”

Gran Castillo Tagoro Family & Fun Playa Blanca
Ranked #10 of 37 Hotels in Playa Blanca
GreenLeadersSilver level
Peterborough, United Kingdom
“Exceptional 4* but not 5*”
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Visited this hotel for 10 days from 20th June 2013. We had a superior double and was exceptional with double balcony with sun loungers and table and chairs. Hotel was kept clean and tidy, good choice of restaurants, Italian, Chinese and main buffet diner.. You were able to visit the a la carte restaurants as much as you wanted. For us as a family we absolutely loved the Italian restaurant in which we used for breakfast, lunch and evening meals. The main restaurant was far too busy for us.. We must say the staff in this restaurant looked after us so well and we say a big thank you to Biser, Noelia and Kurt (german waiter) The chefs looked after my husband very well as he is a fussy eater , nothing was too much trouble.
We did have a few little issues that occurred with the middle pool area, this was a Non heated pool and was like an ice bucket. There was no drink facilities round this pool so you had to walk 150yds to get a drink. After 8 days of our stay the hotel started getting extremely busy and in my holiday experiences I have never seen people squabbling over sunbeds. At the end of our holiday there was 1100 people in this hotel, the maximum is 1500. All pool areas could not cope with this amount of people..

Room Tip: We stayed in room 4302 and we was very pleased with it. Email and ask for a room that is not higher...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Laura H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,249)
  • Polish first
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Spent 10 nights from July 5 at this hotel. Very impressive on arrival and when taken to our rooms we were speechless.
We were given a free upgrade and the allocated room was amazing with two large bedrooms, two large bathrooms and a large living area.
Hotel is very large with various pools but would suggest staying the around the pool with slides if you have kids.
Food was excellent and even though you need to wear trousers at dinner you get used to it.
Pizzas in the Italian also excellent.
Kids enjoyed the disco at 8.30 and the staff are very friendly with everyone.

Only thing I would suggest is that the hotel looks at building tennis courts as the handball court is a bit of a waste of time.

Enjoyed my holiday and so did our kids which is important.

Room Tip: Rooms in castle building amazing.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dreamplacehotel, Guest Relations Manager at Gran Castillo Tagoro Family & Fun Playa Blanca, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Thank you very much for your much appreciative comment on our hotel Dream Gran Castillo Resort 5* on Tripadvisor.
A welcome to the guests should always impress them, but to keep them impressed is what our hotel and staff members look forward to. We are very happy to know that we achieved this in your case.
We shall keep in mind your interesting suggestion. Hope to see you back soon in our hotel Dream Gran Castillo Resort 5*.
Dublin
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Back from a fabulous two week break and had to put a review up about the Animation Team at Gran Castillo. They made our two weeks fantastic we have two boys Joseph 11 and Oliver 9 and all the team Benny, Marcio, Hector, Ellia, Mandy, Matteo,Katrine (hope I have everyone)every one of them were super fun and worked so hard every day to make people's holiday entertaining. Thanks so much to all the team it was the highlight of our holiday will be back . Joe And Sally from Dublin.

Room Tip: Our room was a little small for the four of us so maybe book a suite or request bigger room.
1 Thank Sally K
Dear Joe and Sally,
Thank you very much for your appreciative comment on the animation service of our hotel Dream Gran Castillo Resort 5* on Tripadvisor.
We are very pleased to know that our team made your stay much more pleasant. It is a sure fact that the team works very hard to keep each and every guest entertained and happy.
Hope to see you back at our hotel Dream Gran Castillo Resort 5* and thank you once again for sharing your opinion with us.
Buntingford, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 20, 2013

I am currently on a ten day trip with my twins daughters. I run a very busy business so relied more heavily on the recommendations by local travel agent who assured me that they had sent many families to this report and loved it !!!

Disappointed would be an understatement. Almost from the moment we arrived I had cause to complain about the dirty floors in our room. In fact everything in the entire complex looks grubby, floors toilets, walls, bar areas, windows. The whole place could do with a refurbishment, tiles are cracked, doors badly scuffed, skirting boards broken.

Its a huge resort with lots of people who all swarm into the buffet restaurant at the same time. In fact the restaurant, feels more like a canteen then it does a restaurant in the 5 * hotel. The food is also very poor. The salads and dishes look like they been sitting there for days or leftover that have been rehashed into something new. I was also told my the agent to book for as many nights in the Italian so we did. We went for our first meal there last night. It was awful, the pizza that my Daughter had hadn't been cooked properly, my clam spaghetti was full of chipped shells and the spaghetti bolognaise......well I could have done better myself.

As far as the room is concerned they are big and spacious but the sofa bed that I sleep in is very uncomfortable. You can actually feel the springs from the mattress, the air conditioning unit doesn't work even though I've reported it several times, the fridge isn't cold at all and again everything looks grubby.

The resort itself is over a 45 minute walk to the centre of Playa Blanca.....

All is all I would never return and I will be having a very frank conversation with my travel agent when I return !!!!!

5 Thank Gilly B
DreamplaceHotels, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Gran Castillo Tagoro Family & Fun Playa Blanca, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
In response to your inquiry and according to our own self-expectatives, we want to thank you for sharing your experience in Tripadvisor. As we talked in the hotel, we would like to apologize for the cleaning of your room. We want to inform you that this is not the standard of our Resort, please for another time, call the reception and tell them your problem. We bet they will manage. We want to inform you that we have a 50 people working group there and that they exclusively manage with these stuff.
We are sorry about the inconvenients caused related with the food, we have a long variety of products to choose in between. The objective of that fact is providing every guest can choose their food and do not bored anybody with these selection. We guarantee that all our food is freshly prepared. We are human beings and we have mistakes, as everybody. We feel sorry that you did not feel comfortable in our main restaurant, this is why we have chosen the two sittings for dinner and to allocate tables to our clients from the arrival on and during the entire stay. The aim is to make you feel comfortable and to avoid queues when you arrive the restaurant.
Our Resort is located in Playa Papagayo, you have the best beaches only 20 minutes ago walking and 3-4€ going by taxi.
From Dreamplace Hotels & Resorts, wish attending you in plausible new coming chances in our Dream Gran Castillo Resort 5*.
Best wishes,
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 19, 2013

Within a day or two of arriving, I would have happily given this hotel a 4 stars rating but things weren't perfect.
I will start with the good and the very good before the issues. The facilities are excellent for families, lots of pools, places to eat and drink and the rooms are fairly spacious and comfortable.
If you want a choice of sun bed you need to be up before daybreak as they go fast !
The staff are friendly and helpful. The kids club staff are brilliant and the facilities and activities for kids are readily available - the mini disco in the evening is a strange mix of adults drinking loads whilst the kids do the entertaining - has to be seen !

The service got worse as our stay (12 nights) continued - only because they are seriously understaffed in the restaurants - sometimes service is immediate - sometimes you have to lay your own table ! (Particularly towards the end of breakfast service)
The Portofino Italian restaurant needs more staff urgently - service got worse and worse as our holiday went on. The food there is pretty good though.
My tip is to avoid the late sitting (9-10.30) in the main buffet restaurant as it is often a scrum for food and go to the carvery in the back top corner as the meat there is excellent and way better than the meat cooked to order.
We ordered picnics for visiting the nearby beach (wear sturdy shoes to get there - a good 10 minute walk over roughish terrain) one of the sandwiches had turned a bit blue, so improvement needed there !

This is most definitely a 4 star hotel - nowhere near 5, but with better management and more staff urgently it could be so much better.

Make sure you visit the shop K.Do which sells ceramics ( in the shopping arcade attached to the hotel) excellent quality local ceramics and quality presents to take back for family and friends - really impressed by the quality and staff there.

Overall we had a good holiday, 2 adults and twin 5 year olds.

Room Tip: If you have kids - and you really should ask for a room near the kids pools - you can get to the poo...
2 Thank Jonathan B
Dear Jonathan,

In the name of Dreamplace Hotels & Resorts thank you very much for your comment on our Dream Gran Castillo Resort 5* on Tripadvisor.

We are happy to know that you found our installations and some services excellent. In the entertainments, we try our best for the families to watch their children enjoy the games and activities and if possible to even participate in them.

Hopefully we can solve soon our problem with the scarcity of staff members.

We are sorry for your picnic meal that turned out bad, it's rather difficult to mantain the food fresh during the summer.

Thank you so much for visiting our Dream Gran Castillo Resort 5* and we would like to mention that if you ever wish to visit us once again, please do enter our webpage to receive special discount for our loyal clients.

Worthing, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 17, 2013

Recently returned from a weeks holiday in June at the complex. Travelled with 2 children aged 6 and 12 and my wife who had recently been diagnosed with coeliac disease. Check in was fabulous with champagne and orange juice on arrival and are bags were soon taken for us to our room. Had a fantastic room with a glorious sea view and despite what some reviews say was spotlessly clean on arrival and throughout our stay. This was also true for the entire complex.
As a recently diagnosed coeliac my wife was extremely concerned. However on arrival at the restaurant we were taken around the buffet by the head chef pointing out what was safe to eat and considering the amount of fresh food and meats eating was not a problem. Each morning we were provided by a plate of special bread, cakes and pastries and in the evening separately fried chips and bread. Whatever questions we asked somebody always found the answer. A trip to the italian also included gluten free pizzas or pastas. The breakfast, lunch and evening buffets always had a large variety of dishes, meats, vegetables etc so I find it hard to understand people's criticism. Some food is repetitive but these are the staple dishes. What do people expect of buffets - I haven't found any hotels in the uk or around the world where this isn't the same. As far as we were concerned the selection was fantastic from smoked salmon and cava to Parma ham, caviar and a wide variety of show cooking meats.

There were plenty of children but the hotel wasn't over run and there certainly wasn't any bad behaviour. Again it is a family hotel so is what you would expect. The animation team were fantastic with the kids and although a lot of the shows were mimed we never got bored and really enjoyed it.

The hotel is a bit isolated but the walk to the marina was enjoyable and a taxi to playa blanca was only 4 euros. Safe boxes are provided and towels for a deposit which we provided a credit card for but was never taken.

The only issues I would say is that despite signs saying loungers could not been reserved this was not enforced and especially around the kiddies pool they were often reserved for hours and not used. The bars in the evening were often short staffed and took a while for drinks to be served.

As a note if you do not like wind do not go to the island. A bit of a shame as the cold wind ruined sitting outside in the evenings.

Overall a fantastic stay, lovely hotel, helpful staff and we all thoroughly enjoyed it

Room Tip: Sea view and superior rooms are worthwhile.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Jon H
Dear Jon,
Thank you very much for your comment on our Dream Gran Castillo Resort 5* on Tripadvisor
Our staff members try our guest very best in having a personal service towards our guests and make them happy during their stay.
And just as you mention, Dream Gran Castillo 5* Resort is a family hotel and we try our very best in keeping families with children as well as family without children pleased.
As for the loungers, we are sorry you had problems with them. As well as the signs there are printed notices at the reception as well as in each room of our guests, the notice says that it is not allowed to reserve the loungers for more than 30 minutes, past this amount of time, the pools lifeguard has the permission to retrieve the belongings and keep them safe till the owner of it returns for it.
Despite the slightly slow service we hope you enjoyed the drinks and a pity you couldn’t enjoy the evenings because of the wind.
Hopefully, next time you decide to visit us in our Dream Gran Castillo Resort 5*, we can offer you a faster service and that it doesn’t be so windy.
Portlaoise, Ireland
Reviewed July 17, 2013

Well where do I start.....On first impressions this hotel did not disappoint. It was exactly as it said on the tin. I booked it after looking at the pictures and reviews on the BIBLE ( Tripadvisor ) and everything you see is exactly as the pictures show. Immaculate buildings, all freshly painted and stunning to look at and spotless throughout the grounds of the hotel, not a piece of dirt in sight. We fell in love with this place straight away and we have stayed in a lot of holiday hotels around the world but this tops them all for across the board qualities.
ACCOMMODATION-There were 4 of us staying, my wife and I and our 2 kids (4 and 2). Our room consisted of a big bedroom with big twin beds, a living area with a couch bed which had a tv in it, large bathroom with bath, shower, toilet and twin wash basins. 2 weeks was not a problem in this large room for 4 of us. Lovely lady cleaned the room daily too so the room was spotless for the two weeks.
POOLS- I've never seen so many pools in my life. Excellent, well maintained and one will have no problem finding one to suit. Great idea with the towel tokens.
BARS- I like my drinks and found the waiters and bar men did a wonderful job. They are very busy men but you'd never be waiting long for drinks. Pool Bar was a great place to chill, nice little buzz around it.
ENTERTAINMENT- Again what can I say, the entertainment team put some show on. From 10.30 in the morning to 11.30 at night these super men and women put their heart and soul into keeping everyone happy. Even if your like us (keep to ourselves) you'll still enjoy the evening entertainment immensley. The Lion King was a particular fav, and the kids participate too. Mini Disco was a must for us at 8.30 everynight, We're still singing the songs 6 weeks later.
FOOD- I had to leave the best till last. OMG what a choice of foods. I've never seen such variety in all my life. From breakfast through lunch and on to dinner in the evening the standard of the food was unbelievable. Sooo fresh and what flavours. This was food heaven and by god my wife and I have a passion for fine food. Kids ate away, always something for them to nibble away on. Big Shout out to Otman, Excellent waiter. Bottle of wine waiting for us every night and soo polite and courteous. And if you needed a break from the main restaurant you could head to the Italian or Chinese restaurants on site. Both excellent but we actually preferred the Chinese contrary to most other reviews. Staff were excellent and although limited the menu was fantastic. Pool bar served gorgeous snacks too. 11 out of ten for all the restaurants. PS deserts were to die for.......

To sum it all up, I can see myself coming here for many years to come. WE LOVED it so much and are still pining for a return trip already. Every little detail is looked after. Nothing is left to chance. EG- We went on a few day trips, the hotel provides snack bags, one for each of your party consisting of a sandwich, fruit, water, juice and biscuits. Come on where would you get it. But really you actually wouldn't need to leave the hotel at all it's so vast.
Have been recommending it to work colleagues and two parties have booked already and they won't be disappointed. Thanks for a wonderful stay Gran Castillo.
Sean San Ellen and Tom xxxxx

Room Tip: 5321 was our room and it was a stones throw to the chinese and main restaurant which was great. Clos...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Bergie13
Dear Bergie13,
Thank you very much for your very good comment about our Dream Gran Castillo Resort 5* on Tripadvisor
We are happy to know that you were not disappointed in us. It is our pleasure to always keep the guests happy not only with the installations but also by keeping it very clean and tidy, our staff members work very hard to keep up with the expectations. We would like to inform you that we have recently won a price for being the best rooms in the area of Playa Blanca.
As for the pool, we have a choice of 11 pools so that our guests have the possibility to spend time relaxing in a very good way.
(comentario sobre towel token)
We have chefs from different areas of the world, to be able to serve a large variety of choices for each meal and breakfast. We are happy to know that for a change we have a positive comment on our Chinese Restaurant since the staff has been working hard to please the guests.
We will pass on your lovely comments to Otman as well as the rest of the staff members to let them know how pleased the guests are with their services.
Thank you for recommending our hotel to your colleagues and we are grateful for your detailed comment. We look forward to welcome you back in our Dream Gran Castillo Resort 5* in Lanzarote.
Best Regards,
H10 Lanzarote Princess
H10 Lanzarote Princess
#14 of 37 in Playa Blanca
Hotel Hesperia Lanzarote Playa Dorada

Been to Gran Castillo Tagoro Family & Fun Playa Blanca? Share your experiences!