We travelled as 6 adults and 4 children, aged 1 to 4.
Between us we pretty much saw each type of room in the hotel apart from the suites. The family duplex was huge, the size of a flat. The family room with sliding door was a decent size but a bit cramped for 4. The superior room was huge. All of those in the family part of the hotel though don't have sea views, they all face inland with views of the pools. The rooms seemed a little bit dirty - your feet would get filthy walking around bear feet. The family rooms are also a decent walk from the main part of the hotel - not great when you have a tired 3 year old. Its not particularly pram friendly either with quite a few steps.
The food was fine but certainly nowhere near 5 star. Buffet choices were ok so long as you liked freshly grilled meat or fish. The chinese restaurant was good. The Italian was a bit hit and miss. You can book these as often s you liked. The pool bar food was rubbish - poor burgers or hotdogs which was a shame as 3/4 year olds need some lunch around 12.00 but the buffet didn't open until 1pm.
Wine was poor. Just about drinkable. Other drinks on offer were good.
The pools were good. A bit cold but the kids loved them and spent a lot of the day in them - particularly the one with waterslides. For adults there are a couple of quiet options.
The gym was really dated and old. Treadmill was broken with no sign of it being repaired - not what you would expect from a 5 star hotel.
The kids club was great and our kids really enjoyed it. The attached playground is a little small and nothing in there for younger chidlren. The kids all loved the minidisco as well although starting at 8.30pm was a little late we thought.
The entertainment was ok but again certainly not 5 star. Again most stuff started late - 10pm.
The location is good overall and there is a 20 min walk to the marina or a 15 min walk over some hills to get to the beautiful papagayo beach.
Overall I would say that this is a 4 star hotel at best and to be fair it is priced as such.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Like a grand castle which majestically dominates the seascape of the AtlanticOcean and its islands, the magnificent GRAN CASTILLO TAGORO is erected in the charming area of Playa Blanca, in the south of the volcanic isle par excellence: Lanzarote. With the conviction that elegance and comfort should come naturally, this Hotel is a tribute to 16th century Canary history and colonial architecture, inspired by the "Castle of San José" and the typical landscape of the island, blending in with the environment. The building is divided into different zones which maintain their colonial style, where the white facades and volcanic stone contrast with the backdrop of the deep blue ocean. A charming interior courtyard of Arab inspiration bathes the reception area with light, and the contemporary décor and pale colours create a warm and very elegant atmosphere. GRAN CASTILLO TAGORO pampers every detail of the rooms and suites, which have breathtaking views of the sea and surrounding scenery. They are decorated in a contemporary style, with marine touches, light-coloured wood and pale colours, creating a pleasant atmosphere full of light. The discerning selection of restaurants and cuisines serve Canary, national and international specialities. There are conference rooms featuring spearhead technology, and various outdoor zones for events of different kinds. The "Vitanova SPA" thalassotherapy centre provides the benefits of thermal seawater, and specific treatments for the body and soul. The Hotel features a wide range of facilities and services. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Hotwire, World Independent Hotel Promotion, Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly and Hotel.de so you can book your Gran Castillo Tagoro Family & Fun Playa Blanca reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Dream Gran Castillo Hotel Playa Blanca
- Dream Castillo Papagayo Lanzarote
- Gran Castillo Tagoro Family & Fun Playa Blanca Lanzarote