When you book a 5 star holiday, you expect everything to be perfect and amazing (that's what I have experienced before at 5 star hotels), not just the hotel itself, but the food, the staff, the pre-arrival checks, but this was not so. I provide a list of the good things and bad things:
- Style and size of rooms are amazing.
- Staff were able to change our two separate booked rooms for a family room with interconnecting door.
- Spa is amazing
- Italian restaurant was nice
- Unhelpful and rude reception staff. They seem to have a chip on their shoulder. The strange rules of the hotel were not explained to us. When asking about the Acqualava park in Playa Blanca, the answer was they did not have a flyer. They did not even think about phoning the park up. When gasping for some water after 6.30pm on the first day, even though being all inclusive, I was told that I could not get a bottle of water to take to my room. WHAT????? After much argument, they provided me with another bottle of water. So much unnecessary exchange of words!
-Seems to be staff shortage in the whole hotel apart from the reception. You can feel the stress of the workers and you do not want that on your holiday. They seriously need to address this
- Strange rules of the hotel
1. You get one bottle of water and can only fill this up between 10.30am and 6.30pm. So say you forget or run out of water after 6.30pm, you can only get a glass of water from the bar.
2. Queuing for dinner to get a table.
- Main restaurant does not have capacity for the hotel. Most 4 star hotels I go to have an amazingly large restaurant, but this restaurant clearly has issues with space, probably that is why you have this ludicrous 1st and 2nd sitting mandated and aldo you have to queue to be assigned a table which you must always sit at for your whole holiday. Also you will note that there does not seem to be that many food areas, only one grill, and consequently large queues to get food and on more than one occasion was given raw fish and chicken. Tables not remade after being used.
- Staff need training as they are quite rude.
Incident 1: Wanted to just get some free icecream from the icecream kiosk and someone was replenishing it and she took exception at me getting some icecream for my children until she finished her job.
Incident 2: Trying to help the restaurant staff out by getting my own cutlery and napkins and waiter took exception to this. We had been waiting for ages to get the table made and the response was "well there are other people who have requests also".
Incident 3: German receptionist who had to argue with me about water bottle.
1. Shower was always too hot or too cold. Never stayed at a constant warm temperature. Engineers came twice, still could fix the issue. Issue seems more related to the hotel water system. Needs to be addressed.
2. The kids room smelt of sewerage on arrival. Had to get the staff to perform a spring clean. The smell was coming from the toilet.
3. B-day lid broken in the toilet
4. On second night, it rained hard and we had a small flood as water came into the room. Doors not insulated well.
- Lack of amenities in the room. No tea and coffee in room. No tissue box.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Like a grand castle which majestically dominates the seascape of the AtlanticOcean and its islands, the magnificent GRAN CASTILLO TAGORO is erected in the charming area of Playa Blanca, in the south of the volcanic isle par excellence: Lanzarote. With the conviction that elegance and comfort should come naturally, this Hotel is a tribute to 16th century Canary history and colonial architecture, inspired by the "Castle of San José" and the typical landscape of the island, blending in with the environment. The building is divided into different zones which maintain their colonial style, where the white facades and volcanic stone contrast with the backdrop of the deep blue ocean. A charming interior courtyard of Arab inspiration bathes the reception area with light, and the contemporary décor and pale colours create a warm and very elegant atmosphere. GRAN CASTILLO TAGORO pampers every detail of the rooms and suites, which have breathtaking views of the sea and surrounding scenery. They are decorated in a contemporary style, with marine touches, light-coloured wood and pale colours, creating a pleasant atmosphere full of light. The discerning selection of restaurants and cuisines serve Canary, national and international specialities. There are conference rooms featuring spearhead technology, and various outdoor zones for events of different kinds. The "Vitanova SPA" thalassotherapy centre provides the benefits of thermal seawater, and specific treatments for the body and soul. The Hotel features a wide range of facilities and services. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Orbitz, Dreamplace Hotels & Resorts SL, Priceline, Expedia, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, Agoda, Travelocity and HotelQuickly so you can book your Gran Castillo Tagoro Family & Fun Playa Blanca reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Dream Gran Castillo Hotel Playa Blanca
- Dream Castillo Papagayo Lanzarote
- Gran Castillo Tagoro Family & Fun Playa Blanca Lanzarote