We stayed at Gran Castillo in Playa Blanca for 11 nights from 16th to 27th Dec. We had a lovely holiday.
On arrival we were given a glass of cava and my children orange juice and sweets which they loved. Our suitases were delivered to our room by the porter. All the reception staff were very welcoming.
Our room was lovely. A spacious family room with sliding doors connecting the main bedroom to the living room which had a sofa bed for kids, but also the tv as mentioned in other reviews so we couldnt watch the tv if the kids were in bed but this didnt bother us really. We were given a room with a fabulous partial sea view which was unexpected and we could watch the sun set over the sea. This made the holiday even more lovely. The bathroom was great too, walkin shower, seperate bath, his and hers sinks and toiletries provided.
What we most liked about the Gran Castillo was the outside space. The hotel is light and airy, spread out so you dont feel like your on top of each other, but not too spread out! There are numerous pools, many of which are heated and a comfortable temperature to swim in despite it being December. The main pool is beautiful and heated, overlooking the sea. There is also a sand area next to the pool for the kids to play in. The kids club is to the rear of the hotel. My kids loved the kids club, especially ALEX!!! - you are fabulous and Faye and Jamie cried in the car as we left because they were missing you already!!! There is a pool right next to the kids club which is also heated. We spend all our time divided between these two pools. The animation team are great and worked very hard, especially Marcio, Stephanie, Mandy and Alex. The kids pool with the slides is not heated though, this is a shame as it was always empty.
The food in the main buffet restaurant is ok. Some dishes were very good, some were poor so it averages out as ok I suppose. The sausages were not nice. The chicken kebabs were awful. But generally it is ok. Plenty of choice at every meal. If you like fish you will be in heaven.
Evening meals in the main restaurant are split into two sittings. We were allocated a table in the earlier sitting which was fine. You sit at the same table every evening so you are not fighting for a table. This worked until Christmas Day, when our table was given to someone else so on arrival there was not a table for us. We had to wait for staff to find two tables from around the restaurant and put them together. As this was happening, the people who were supposed to be sitting at one of these tables also turned up, not very good for Christmas Day dinner, but we were seated eventually and the staff were very apologetic.
If you like Pizza then the Italian restaurant is a must. The Pizzas are delicious!! As is the Lasagne. The Chinese restaurant we didnt enjoy as much. The soup and spring rolls were awful but the ribs and chicken in black bean were lovely.
The drinks were good, named brands and lovely cocktails (although the cocktails at the bar by the kids club were undrinkable). The staff were all lovely. There were long queues a few times but not all the time.Tthere would be a busy spell, then it would be quieter. Go to Mandys pina colada cocktail game, she makes the best cocktails!!
On christmas day the hotel made a big effort for the children. There was a bouncy castle, face painting, balloon making and santa came on a camel with presents. The presents were really good quality gifts!! We were really surprised at how good the presents were! Thankyou Gran Castillo.
The entertainment was ok. We didnt really see much of it though so cant really comment much but the kids loved the disco. Our main entertainment were the people we met here. Everyone was really friendly and we have made some firm friends.
Overall we had a really great Christmas holiday. Yes there were a few grumbles but generally everything was fabulous and we will definately be returning next Christmas.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Like a grand castle which majestically dominates the seascape of the AtlanticOcean and its islands, the magnificent GRAN CASTILLO TAGORO is erected in the charming area of Playa Blanca, in the south of the volcanic isle par excellence: Lanzarote. With the conviction that elegance and comfort should come naturally, this Hotel is a tribute to 16th century Canary history and colonial architecture, inspired by the "Castle of San José" and the typical landscape of the island, blending in with the environment. The building is divided into different zones which maintain their colonial style, where the white facades and volcanic stone contrast with the backdrop of the deep blue ocean. A charming interior courtyard of Arab inspiration bathes the reception area with light, and the contemporary décor and pale colours create a warm and very elegant atmosphere. GRAN CASTILLO TAGORO pampers every detail of the rooms and suites, which have breathtaking views of the sea and surrounding scenery. They are decorated in a contemporary style, with marine touches, light-coloured wood and pale colours, creating a pleasant atmosphere full of light. The discerning selection of restaurants and cuisines serve Canary, national and international specialities. There are conference rooms featuring spearhead technology, and various outdoor zones for events of different kinds. The "Vitanova SPA" thalassotherapy centre provides the benefits of thermal seawater, and specific treatments for the body and soul. The Hotel features a wide range of facilities and services. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Expedia, World Independent Hotel Promotion, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly and Hotel.de so you can book your Gran Castillo Tagoro Family & Fun Playa Blanca reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Dream Gran Castillo Hotel Playa Blanca
- Dream Castillo Papagayo Lanzarote
- Gran Castillo Tagoro Family & Fun Playa Blanca Lanzarote