Just arrived back from the Gran Castillo. I will start with the negatives as I feel there are definitely more positives.
* terrible lack of staff in bars, restaurants and mini club. 1 person serving at peak time is not acceptable in the bar. Seems that is there way of not letting people drink much!!
* Security in mini club not tight enough. No signing in/out system. Probably due to lack of staff again!
* cockroach seen on 3 out of 7 nights in main bar area where mini disco was held.(although I must say it was clean and children found it highly entertaining!)
*main dining restaurant had 2 sittings. 7pm and 9pm. Struggled to get a table at 7 o'clock sitting, which with 3 children is essential.
* not enough sun loungers!
*only outside entertainment was owl show and reptile show. Both of which didn't allow you to take photos, but would allow a photo with then for €10. Obviously hotel didn't have to pay for this type of entertainment..another cost cutter.
* fantastic rooms which were immaculate. Large beds and a lounge which doubled as a bedroom for the children. Great bathroom and seperate luxury shower. Lots of bathroom freebies which you expect with 5*.
* Mini disco was excellent and the staff brilliant. ( big thanks to Alex and Raquel who were so genuine and hardworking. Our girls loved them. 8pm start would be bettter though. Our 4 yr old was shattered by the time it started at 8.45pm.
* staff were all friendly and helpful, and nothing too much trouble
* Italian restaurant was definitely the best dining option. We went there 5 out of the 7 nights. Pizzas were fantastic, and unexpected for an all inclusive hotel.
* breakfasts great with omelettes and crêpes made to order, and freshly ground coffee another bonus.
* activities and amenities for all ages are excellent. Lost count of how many pools. Big ones, small ones, deep, shallow, water slides. It has them all. All lovely and clean too.
* grounds and gardens are all immaculate. Main area in reception is beautiful and always smelled lovely.
*glass of cava and orange juice in arrival was great.
*12 o'clock check out as standard was again great, as most hotels tend to be 10.
* bell boys to take you anywhere on the complex in golf buggies. Including taking and collecting luggage from rooms. Nothing was too much trouble.
* branded drinks in all bars restaurants with bottled beer in restaurant on evenings which went down well with my husband.
*fresh fruit always available which was great, as we have an 8 month old who hasn't discovered junk food yet! Puréed baby food was also available if requested.
* nice location especially if you manage a sea view room. Beach at front is awful, and not worth trying, but a brisk walk and you are at the gorgeous papagayo beach.
All in all I would definitely return. Good value for money. People who were moaning in the hotel I would suggest that they remember how much they have paid and challenge them to find some winter sun of that standard for less money!! We have travelled to almost every winter sun location in the world.( Caribbean, Asia Thailand, Australia etc and can assure you you will not!!)
I hope the management will read this and take the constructive criticism. They have a gem if they fine tune the weaknesses. We will return!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Like a grand castle which majestically dominates the seascape of the AtlanticOcean and its islands, the magnificent GRAN CASTILLO TAGORO is erected in the charming area of Playa Blanca, in the south of the volcanic isle par excellence: Lanzarote. With the conviction that elegance and comfort should come naturally, this Hotel is a tribute to 16th century Canary history and colonial architecture, inspired by the "Castle of San José" and the typical landscape of the island, blending in with the environment. The building is divided into different zones which maintain their colonial style, where the white facades and volcanic stone contrast with the backdrop of the deep blue ocean. A charming interior courtyard of Arab inspiration bathes the reception area with light, and the contemporary décor and pale colours create a warm and very elegant atmosphere. GRAN CASTILLO TAGORO pampers every detail of the rooms and suites, which have breathtaking views of the sea and surrounding scenery. They are decorated in a contemporary style, with marine touches, light-coloured wood and pale colours, creating a pleasant atmosphere full of light. The discerning selection of restaurants and cuisines serve Canary, national and international specialities. There are conference rooms featuring spearhead technology, and various outdoor zones for events of different kinds. The "Vitanova SPA" thalassotherapy centre provides the benefits of thermal seawater, and specific treatments for the body and soul. The Hotel features a wide range of facilities and services. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotwire, Expedia, Dreamplace Hotels & Resorts SL, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Priceline, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets and TripOnline SA so you can book your Gran Castillo Tagoro Family & Fun reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Dream Gran Castillo Hotel Playa Blanca
- Dream Castillo Papagayo Lanzarote
- Gran Castillo Tagoro Family & Fun Lanzarote/Playa Blanca