“Thankyou Mr Jacobo Yurrita and all the Staff at The Gran Castillo.”

Gran Castillo Tagoro Family & Fun Playa Blanca
Ranked #13 of 37 Hotels in Playa Blanca
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed June 30, 2011

Dear Mr Jacobo Yurrita and all the Staff,

I want to say a BIG THANKYOU for making our stay at the Gran Castillo Lanzarote so wonderful. Your hotel is immaculately clean, elegant and welcoming.The room upgrade to a Senior Suite especially for my Birthday as a surprise from you left us speechless with joy as we first walked into it.What an apartment it was too! The food was always well prepared with a massive choice of hot and cold dishes, the little cakes and dessert delicacies were a delight to look at and to eat of course!
I would like to say we have never stayed in a hotel before where ALL the staff are forever happy and smiling,are so helpful and clearly enjoy meeting the guests eventhough they must get tired at times from working so hard.
However I particularly want to mention Outhmane who works in the Lobby, he has the biggest smile I have ever seen and is very kind, I am attaching a photo of him, also our fantastic waiter in the dining room was Salem, he is a great guy,see his attached photo too, they both sum up the friendliness and dedication to the guests at the Gran Castillo.
This was our first visit to Lanzarote and I have to say we couldn't have chosen a better Hotel.My husband likes to try new destinations every time we take a holiday abroad but I know Lanzarote and the Gran Castillo will be the one we would return to again, our 12 year old son never asks to go back to any hotel in particular but yours has been the exception.
As`I said to Mr Yurrita the Subdirector of the Gran Castillo, we felt we were treated like Royalty.

Thankyou and kind regards from the Walker Family.

Hello everyone reading this, I hope you didn't mind me writing that little thankyou note first but I felt it important and really it speaks for itself if you are wondering whether to give the Gran Castillo a try. I know everyone is different with equally different opinions but whilst we were staying for our ten days from 17 June we didn't meet anyone who had anything bad to say that would alter our good impression of this hotel and it's staff.

I'm not going to write a step-by-step account of our stay but will go to the main points I would be wondering when I am trawling through Tripadvisor looking at reviews for a particular hotel we have our eyes on to book.

1. Cleanliness and rooms

Excellent. The rooms are all of an impressive size, cleaned and the towels changed however often you want as long as you leave them in the bath for the maid when she comes to clean your room. I like lots of pillows, we requested them and straight away extra were delivered to our room.

2. Food and Drink

A very large choice of hot and cold salad dishes. Something for everyone at every meal.The Cava is excellent.Inside dining room and out to choose from, usual evening dining room etiquette of gentlemen requested to wear long trousers.

3. What about the weather?

Lanzarote has a lovely climate and believe me, I just about came back home as a Shirley Bassey look-a-likie. Yes it might be a bit breezy at times but you do need that breeze when it comes,you will be glad of it, trust me ! But be warned, you will be more likey to get sunburnt with the breeze, so watch out those with fair skins.

If you want to ask me any questions, just drop me a message on here and I will try my best to help.

Have a great Holiday folks! : D

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Astraeastar

Reviewed June 28, 2011

Me and my boyfriend have just come back from this hotel. We have a really good time from the moment we got there to when we left.
The welcome when we arrived was really good being offered drinks while we waited to check in.
Our luggage was taken to our very large room, large bed and bathroom over looking the hotel. Cleaned everyday with fresh towels.
The food was really good, I know a few people said it wasnt that good. If you are staying all inclusive the food can get boring after eating there for the whole week. It's nice to have table service. There is loads to choose from salads, cold meats, hot pasta's, bread and a chef who cooks a variety of fish and meats at lunch and dinner and pancakes and eggs at breakfast. while you wait, which we really enjoyed.
The only things we were not impressed by was the La carte restaurant. The food wasnt awful just not to the standard you would expect.
The drinks were really good too, top shelves brands, locals brands, cocktails and wines at all of the bars. All the staff we came across in the hotel were excellent friendly and helpful.
We went on a good week, could get a sunbed around the pool apart from last day when the hotel became busy. We went when kids were at school still.
Beach in front of hotel is peddles with small amount of sand, we went there twice it was ok for us. There is a beach about half hour away which is lovely.
We went to Marina twice which took us about 15 mins a lovely walk, went to local market at the Marina on the Wed is also on Sat aswell.
We went out to eat in Playa Blanca twice which is a taxi ride away costing 4 Euro's. Restaurants and bars really nice, we ate at Indian and steakhouse food was spot on.
This is somewhere I would come back to bring our familes. I would not class as top notch 5*. Overall I would recommed this hotel to anyone. Brill holiday.

3  Thank lea00
Reviewed June 27, 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed here for our first holiday together and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. Although we arrived at the hotel slightly later than planned (11.30pm) and had missed the evening meal, the staff at check in told us there would be some food put on for us in the restaurant, which was nice. All the staff were very friendly and helpful and a porter showed us to our room. We could not fault the room, very spacious with a balcony with a beautiful view of the 'castle' part of the hotel to the left and sea views to the right.
The food was lovely, some might say repetitive but what can you expect when you stay in the same place?! We also took advantage of the included meal in the a la carte restaurant at the start of our stay, I have to agree with some reviews on here that it is the same food as in the main restaurant but, as it is included, I think it is perfectly acceptable.
If we were being picky, we have to agree that some aspects were not five star (in that five star cannot be bettered), eg chipped crockery, some scuffs on the walls, and the poor quality entertainment. We did not come for the entertainment but one night decided to have a look and it did look as though some of the bar staff and maids were dressed in costumes and attempting to mime- badly! and the daytime activities are poorly organized, we never did find the bingo!
The hotel is well located for a young couple that don't mind a walk into Playa Blanca but as it can be quite hot, taxis are recommended for anyone that can't face the heat. It was 3.75 euros from Playa Blanca to the hotel.
All in all, we had a very relaxing holiday. The highlights included the lovely views and the friendly staff, particularly 'Mr Enjoy'- Abdullai the chef. Ever since we got back, me and my boyfriend can't stop saying 'for you sir- enjoy!'

Reviewed June 27, 2011

We have just returned from the Dream Gran Castillo, our room was fantastic we had booked a Junior Suite Room with sea view but when we got there we were given a Senior Suite it was fabulous we had the most beautiful view over the sea and a huge balcony with two sun beds as well, it also had a hot tub on the balcony which was terrific to. The food was great though sometimes a little cold for me but it was not a problem there were microwaves in the dining room and there was always a great choice , the waiters and waitresses were always very pleasant .The animation team work very hard and put on some very enjoyable show,s in the evening We will be returning to this hotel again and i have recomended it to friends also it is a bit away from Playa Blanca but what a lovely walk way there is along the coast in to RUBICON MARINA which takes about 20 min then a further 15 mins in to Playa Blanca which is a very nice little place with no touts begging you to drink in there bars which I dont like !!!

3  Thank Enis_11
Reviewed June 27, 2011

It was arguably the best hotel I have ever stayed in. I cannot understand why some people moan so much because there is very little to complain about! And I am not easy to please person! The staff was professional and their customer service skills were top class. On arrival we were offered a refreshing drink and although the restaurant was already finishing serving the lunch, we were still welcomed to eat before we even checked in.
Our room was beautiful and very clean, although one double bed instead of two singles would do. The bathroom was lovely with two sinks (for her and for him), bathtub and walk in shower. We had a hotel grounds view from our balcony which was pleasant.
The swimming pools were quite cold but during the hottest months they are probably very refreshing. We have never had a problem with finding free sun loungers although it may get busier in the high season.
The food is buffet style and is very good as for Lanzarote. We were all inclusive so we also had some snacks by the pool (also buffet style) including hot-dogs, hamburgers, fries, selection of salads, bread and desserts. Drinks were excellent and barmen very friendly, nothing was problem for them.
We used the spa only once and it was ok, although quite small. We also ordered breakfast to our room but would not recommend as it was cold and chewy when it arrived.
The hotel is in a very quiet location and there is no beach near the hotel. However it is possible to walk (20mins or more) to the Papagayo beach or take a taxi there or to Playa Dorada main beach in Playa Blanca, which is also very nice. We rented a car which could be kept in hotel’s secured car park therefore the location wasn’t the problem for us.
We thought this hotel was perfect and enjoyed our stay so much that we are planning to return in the near future!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Party_girl84
Reviewed June 26, 2011

Just back from Dream Gran Castillo, after reading the other reviews it sounded the place for me and my wife. We arrived late Saturday night after the evening meal service so had a plated meal waiting for us also had a glass of cava waiting which was nice. All staff friendly and helpful, rooms huge and very clean. We had groun floor room which opened onto the main pool area alos with sea view. We spent our time at the upper pool next to the spa area, you get to use the sister hotel for drinks as well which is handy. Its a 25min walk to the marina which has restaurants and bars and then a further 25mins into Playa Blanca itself where you will find more bars, shops and restaurants. This is our second time to Playa Blanca and would come back again. I would say if you fancy this hotel try it and make your own mind up, we find everything great staff, food, drinks, service etc etc etc. When you go one word you will here every morning form the grill is "Enjoy".

1  Thank mrjonrussell
Reviewed June 26, 2011

The hotel is very nice and the rooms are large, the beds are not very comfortable and not what I would expect of 5 star. The main pool area is very busy and the sun loungers were reserved every day. There is a pool outside the spa area which was a lot quieter and we were able to get loungers there late mornings without reserving. This is a bit away from the main pool and bar area. If you walk towards the other hotel on the complex there is a pool bar there which is a lot quieter and also has air conditioning. There is also another pool area with slides for kids and another general pool. There were lots of families and it isn't the place for a couples holiday. The breakfast is good with plenty of choice. There are drinks available and food available all day at the pool bars. We only ate one night in the hotel restaurant and for us it was like eating in a canteen. The food was OK but we ate out preferring more local restaurants with more atmosphere. Personal opinion I wouldn't go back but if you are looking for all inclusive and have kids then it is a good option.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Blanca
Hotel Hesperia Lanzarote Playa Dorada
Sol Lanzarote All Inclusive
Sol Lanzarote All Inclusive
#30 of 91 in Puerto Del Carmen

Been to Gran Castillo Tagoro Family & Fun Playa Blanca? Share your experiences!