“Very relaxing week.”

Son Bou Gardens Apartments
Ranked #2 of 13 Specialty Lodging in Alaior
Reviewed October 5, 2013

Just back from week spent at Son Bou Gardens,we were in zone 3 just short walk from the beach and restaurants. The apartments were clean and tidy just a bit dated in decor, but they had every thing you need including iron and ironing board. Zone3 was very quiet except for the last night when next apartment partied until 5am and we had a 7am pick up for airport. ( Then you can't pick who your neighbours are. )

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank girlsontour26

Reviewed October 2, 2013 via mobile

They say u get what u pay 4. Son bou was one of if not the cheapest accommodation options on Menorca. It proved for us, as a family of 4 a great choice. The entire complex is well maintained , there is plenty of space between each block of appartments, all 3 pools are very clean. The only thing that wasn't very good was the beds or rather the mattress.whether this applies to all the appartments I can't say.if you are on a budget I strongly advise that you rent a car early on in your holiday & stock up on groceries beers etc etc from 1 of the Lidl supermarkets or similar on the island as eating out as a family is v expensive (60-90 euros for 2 adults 2 toddlers without going crazy on the drinks)

• Stayed: September 2013
7  Thank Cheekybleeda
Reviewed September 27, 2013

My husband and I arrived 30th Aug for 2 weeks. 2nd week, my husband had a bad fall in the town. Badly injured his leg, 1 week in Mahon hospital, had to stay another week and 2 days. All very stressful. The reason I got through all the stress and worry is the wonderful support I had from the Thomson reps, Hannah and Bethany and the lovely girls in the reception. They all did so much for me. I felt totally safe on this complex on my own, the area was peaceful, and clean.The apartment spacious and clean, although dated. We stayed in zone 5, ideal for all the pools and reception. The restaurant served good food, entertainment there was good. The pool area next to the restaurant was the best, although they charge for beds.
Medical service excellent, so was the hospital in Mahon.

Room Tip: couples who like it peaceful, zone 5. We had upstairs to start with no22 good views. Later we had do...
5  Thank Patricia201166
Reviewed September 26, 2013

My third year running staying at Son Bou garden apartments zone 6 - apartment 66 just across the road from reception.
I have to say I don't recognise some of the poor reviews people have written or what they expect for their money .
I have stayed in five different apartments over the years and this one wasn't the best but it was still great value for money.
The kitchen was clean with everything we needed for our self catering holiday full size cooker - microwave - toaster - fridge freezer - electric kettle and enough plates and cups for six people.
It could do with updating and there was a couple of cracked tiles but perfectly acceptable for a 2* apartment.
The two bedrooms in this apartment were of the same size 11 x 11 but I have stayed in some where the second bedroom is a lot smaller and would be better suited for children.
The beds are on the firm side but I found them fine to sleep on.
The bathroom had a full size bath with overhead shower a large sink unit toilet and bidet. I did notice a couple of cracked tiles but it really didn't bother me like it has some people I was only there for a week.
lounge had a large flat screen tv with all the freeview english channels a two seater sofa bed a dining table and six chairs.
Front and rear balcony with table and chairs great for and evening glass of wine.
The cleaners came once in the the week to give the apartment a clean and change the towels and bedding and did a good job. I wasn't pathetic enough to stand on the bed to see if they had dusted on top of the ceiling fans like some people so I can't comment.
If you are happy to stay in a 2* apartment with maybe a few cracked tiles on beautiful island in a great location with a beautiful beach and some good restaurants then I don't think you will get better value for your money then staying in these apartments.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
9  Thank tony c
Reviewed September 23, 2013

I stayed here from 4th Sep - 11th Sep, we was a family of 11 in 4 different apartments in Zone 4 and 5, we all had a lovely time. I dont understand why the reviews says its such a long walk to the beach we didn't find it long at all. The pool area was nice, we paid for the beds one day so wasn't to bad, we watched the entertainment every night at San Jaime which was excellent. we also ate at zone 3, which was nice. We caught the bus to Mahon which was 5 euro return, the sunbeds on the beach was 17 Euros so a bit pricey, the restaurants were nice aswell, Irish bar good to watch the football, food nice aswell. Overall it was a nice/clean place and we would return.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank katiemck
Reviewed September 22, 2013

We have just got back from a trip to the Son Gardens in Menorca. The place itself was quite pleasant the grounds are kept immaculate and the restaurant area is spotless. The staff are extremely friendly and provide an excellent service, all prices for food and drinks were very compatible with most of the restaurant's in the main Town area. Our accommodation though left a lot to be desired, the apartment's are all privately owned and sublet via holiday companies. On the whole many owners do seem to have updated the accommodation on offer but there are a few who have not touched the décor since they were built, ours was one of these the owners clutter was right through the place with items in every cupboard, under beds, and even had a cupboard full of their half empty booze bottles, the general cleanliness left a lot to be desired as well with a thick layer of dust on the louvered doors and surrounds made visible by the morning sun coming in. Our holiday rep had told us that our sheets and bedding would be changed once during our week's stay but only our towel's managed to be changed. We travelled with Thompson / Skytours I would go again but only if I had a surety that my accommodation was clean and bright, Owners should be made to ensure the accommodation they are providing is of an acceptable standard.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a clean and updated apartment.
2  Thank Albert148
Reviewed September 21, 2013

We have just returned from a week in Son Bou Gardens. We weren't expecting much for the money to be honest, but were very pleasantly surprised at the complex. The Reception staff when arrived at 10pm were really friendly and took us to the apartment as it was dark and there are over 500 apartments in the complex. He was really kind and helpful.

The apartment itself was clean, well equipped and in Zone 3 which was closest to the beach and the plentiful restaurants. The reception was oddly placed right at the end of the whole complex, so if you're in Z3, it's about a 15-20 minute walk (through lovely gardens mind you) There is a supermarket on the site which is the cheapest we found in the area, but don't be fooled, the food is terribly expensive and the veg and fruit very limited. A tub of coleslaw was 4.50 euros which is just ridiculous. Local produce like olives are cheap, but for a box of corn flakes you're looking at 5 euro's again. I'd have taken more food in my luggage had I known. I would've also have taken a hairdryer as this wasn't in the apartment. The rep told us we could hire them from reception, and I did this only to find I could actually buy the same dryer in the supermarket for the same amount of money for the hire price! I did let her know so she could pass this information on.

The apartment was two bedrooms, first floor, with two balconies (one in the shade mostly and one in the sun mostly) Table and chairs on the balcony, good fridge, microwave and a brand new oven and hob. All nicely decorated and clean. The maid only came once and the sheets were not changed as expected, but clean towels were left. They only give you a couple of loo rolls so do take your own of these too. Get an apartment on the top floor, the views are nice and I was happy to leave out our washing all day without someone wandering off with it.
There are lots of owned apartments here, and many owned by Spanish, so I guess they like it here. When we arrived, there was a horrid pong from the bathroom - we bought bleach the following day and poured a couple of litres of the stuff down the loo, sink and bath overflows. The smell didn't reappear. The beds were pretty firm. We had two fans but no aircon.

The restaurants are pretty much the same in the area, serving chips and pizza (burgers etc) and we found they were very pricey too. We found the best restaurant the night before we came home, and would've probably eaten there every day had we found it sooner (Compostela) Their 15E menu was exceptionally great value. The view was fab of the sunset too. We found Boni was also pretty good, but all the others we found are samey. Not much for the vegetable lovers unfortunately.

The Budha Lounge was exceptional and needs a mention. We felt very welcome and subsequently went there either before or after our evening meal out most days. The drinks are Spanish portion sized too as you'd expect :) The Baileys coffee was a lovely treat and cheaper than a cappuccino!

The beach is about a 5 minute walk from Zone 3, it's a shallow beach with lovely soft sand. 3 beach bars along looked good and even served tapas and local food (a bonus round here) in the evenings for a set menu price (best value) The sunbeds were pricey again and you can buy a parasol for around 9Euros in any of the supermarkets. It would be good if there was a loan scheme at the reception area as I'm sure lots of people just dump them at the end of their holiday.

The pool restaurant (cafe) was excellent. The tapas were all home made, tasty and served with pride. The waiter explained they were trying to move away from the buger/chips thing but the British like that. We told them to do more of this and turn the bloomin' football off! We don't all want chips and football at dinner time - I hope they come round to this way of thinking more in Menorca by the time we have our next visit next year with our Grandaughter.

This is a lovely place, great price really. Quiet, nice apartment. The only gripes I had were you have to pay for the sunloungers and although you get a voucher to the same value to spend in the restaurant (the one near the water slide) you're made to feel very uncomfortable if you don't. The owners of the restaurants could do with a little bit of customer service training because if they don't think you're spending enough, they can be quite rude. (this isn't just our opinion, but of many others we spoke to)

Holidaymakers with mobility issues may find the walk between the Zone3, beach and the reception quite difficult, there are lots of steps (although not that steep)

Food is extraordinarily expensive in the supermarkets (guess it's ok if you hire a car and can go off site to bigger supermarkets)

There's no launderette which I found surprising and I don't know why they don't have the Reception area in the middle of the complex rather than at one end? Seems odd.

Overall - great value for money and we will be going again some time.

Room Tip: Zone3 - overlooking the gardens. Close to the beach and the restaurants.
4  Thank ellsbellscresdeebum
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alaior
Valentin Son Bou
#1 of 2 in Cala Santandria
Apartamentos Alta Galdana
Apartamentos Alta Galdana
#1 of 1 in Serpentona

Been to Son Bou Gardens Apartments? Share your experiences!