“Great hotel with major disappointments!!!”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Don Pepe

Hotel Don Pepe
Lancashire
“Great hotel with major disappointments!!!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2010

After reading previous reviews about this hotel turning people away due to overbooking etc I contacted the hotel direct by both email and fax to confirm my booking, I had no response. I carefully chose this hotel mainly because of location, I have stayed in San Antonio 8 times now so I knew exactly what I wanted and this place met all my expectations.......when we finally got in!!!!! I couldn't believe it when the girl on the desk said there was no rooms due to water/gas????? She wanted us to move to SanAntonio bay which I was having none of it but she had no care about the situation whatsoever. I finally argued with her about the location until she moved us to the Catalina just down the street which was HORRIBLE but it was getting late and we wanted to go out so said we would stay there but this had to be sorted out in the morning. We went back a few hours later but she still didn't care so in the morning we demanded a room, she still said there was none so we asked to speak to the manager, we were told to wait....moments later there was suddenly a room....I really don't understand this at all??

We wanted a sea view but after all the messing we just wanted to get settled, our room was spacious, excellent air con, clean and towels changed but not every day. The kitchenette was in the cupboard but had everything we needed and it all worked, the balcony was nice too, no other rooms can climb over which was good cos we heard of lots of thefts this time. It got noisy at night but I think the hotels are all the same around 4-6am in that area, its fine if your just going on a clubbing holiday. Its close to Cafe Del Mar/Cafe Mambo which is what we really wanted, 2 mins to shops, beach, restaurants etc. The pool area is quite vile too. My biggest tip would be to ring the hotel direct before leaving the UK to confirm your booking, the daft polish girl on the desk said its the best way, she had my fax in front of her and still refused to give me a room cos she said she thought it was from some agency?? Even tho I put on it to reply to my email address and signed it??? Bad, bad organisation and it spoilt the first part of our holiday. Such a shame for such a good 2 star hotel

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Blackpool
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2010

I have just returned from Don Pepes and I REALLY wanted to write a good review on this place. When I read the bad reviews I thought, It cant be like that, it looks good and its a brill location- What could go wrong??

Well, we arrived at 7am (ish) and were greeted by a man with a white beard (english man who I presumed was the manager) When I told him I had a booking he looked at me like I was stupid and began to flick through his booking book like he had all the time in the world. Then he started shaking his head so I showed him my print out confirmation and he found me. Then he said we couldnt book in until 2pm.........
GREAT!
So I told him that he had to give us an alternative because it just wasnt good enough. He then phoned a couple of hotels and we got put in Comfort Plaza which is like across the road and down a bit. We were put in there till about 1.30pm and then we went back to Don Pepes and up to our room. I paid extra for Air con when I booked the holiday but when we arrived we still had to pay for it. It was 20 euros deposit for the week and we also got a safety deposit box.

The air con didnt work- We told the receptionist daily and nothing was done about it. They kept saying they would send someone up- They never did. When I took the remote back on the last day I told them it hadnt worked all week but the girl was spanish and didnt understand what I was saying.... I dont really see the point in having a spanish receptionist who cant speak english in a hotel where 95% of the visitors are english???

The rooms were pretty spacious although I did ask for a sunset view room and we didnt get this- The manager told me all rooms were sunset view but I dont really think a view of a basketball court is a sunset view??
Beds were pretty comfy, there was always hot water, room was clean etc.

The hotel at night was quite noisy. Some scottish lads on the top floor loved to bang their beds on the floor (Or throw them at each other as it sounded) we told reception about this and they didnt do much. Infact, they told them that it was us that had complained and then we got called s*ags!! Lovely boys....

The pool area was poor. All the sunbeds were broken, the pool was small and there was no music or atmosphere whatsoever.

Theres not much else I can say.... the hotel is alright but thats about it... nothing to write home about. I wouldnt stay here again.
Just beware if you have already booked this- You cannot check in till 2 and there are no exceptions!!!

On the other hand- Ibiza is amazing it was my 4th time here. Go to Space, Zoo Project and Cocoon :-)

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
Sunderland, UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2010

If you can actually get into this hotel, it isn't bad at all, in fact in regards to value for money, we've not seen many better and the same group of friends have stayed in most of Europe’s most well known resorts.
The location is very good, the hotel is clean and was renovated only 2 years ago, it has air-con and at only £36 for 4 nights stay is very good value, HOWEVER...
...when we arrived (after booking this holiday a full year in advance) we were greeted with the news that some rooms had been damaged and we'd have to be moved to a different hotel. When we asked to view the damaged rooms we were told 'no'. When we pursued this further we eventually uncovered the truth, basically even though 17 of us booked a full year in advance, the hotel had deliberately overbooked the rooms to ensure they made enough money from the rooms during the busy season.
The saddest part of this for ourselves was that we'd actually read reviews suggesting that this was extremely commonplace with this particular hotel chain but we'd chosen to give the company the benefit of the doubt and we suffered for it. Also, we spoke to other customers at the hotel we were moved to who'd twice booked the Don Pepe only to be moved due to over-subscribing of bookings for rooms.
Also, this must be so common that the staff were completely unfazed by the whole thing and the women on the front desk of each hotel (the second one we were moved to was the Comfort Plaza, irony's obviously the in type of humour over there...) were confronted by 17 angry men between 17 and 56 years old and they basically laughed in our faces, just saying, "nothing I can do, nothing I can do.."
In the Comfort Plaza also, they moved us there then told us that although we'd booked 3 rooms (for 9 of us) we'd have "to squeeze into 2 rooms as there weren't enough available".. ..strangely though, after a little pressure was applied, the receptionist then rolled her eyes, said "ok" and produced a key for a 3rd room proving that they were blatantly just 'trying it on'.
Then after discovering the air-con we'd paid for in 1 room and a toilet in another weren't working at all upon telling her this wasn't acceptable, she simply smiled and said, "its Friday today, maintenance man is back on Monday, he'll check then", they really couldn't have cared less...
So to summarise:
the location - great, right in between the West-End and the beach-bars such as Mambo, Savannah etc...
the hotel itself - fine, for £36 for 4 nights it was clean, modern, had air-con in the rooms and had a very decent pool / pool area.
..would I stay there myself if I was guaranteed a room, probably (saying that though my friends and I have stayed in some dives in the last 12 years..) ...would I send someone I liked there.. ..NO, you simply don't need that kind of stress on your holiday and I can't emphasise enough just how little they cared...

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank Mikcool
UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2009

I booked this hotel but was worried when I had read some of the reviews. however I was quite surprised at this hotel being really well located for the likes of cafe del mar and the bars of the west end.

The rooms were pretty reasonable with a wardrobe that contained just a few utencils, a hob and sink - just enough to get by! However the rooms were quite spacious and clean. You had to pay a deposit for the aircon controls but that was refunded upon checkout. safe hire a few euros and worth it just in case!

The location is a real bonus come out of the hotel turn left and its cafe del mar, mambo etc within 5 minutes, turn right and its the west end bars in five minutes buy all are just far enough away so the location isnt noisey. A spar shop is also a short walk right out of the hotel.

The staff were friendly and helpful although the same staff were the cleaners then receptionists etc!! all in all no complaints with them whatsover!

Went the second week in june so the hotel was ok dont know what it would be like in the height of the season though.

Food and drink priced in san antonio were pretty reasonable and most tried to tempt you in with a good deal!

All in all the don pepe was not bad and I would stay in it again but really a hotel for friends holiday not families!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
Southend, Essex
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2009

Me and a friend went to Ibiza for a quick getaway - mainly to get drunk and do the Ibiza thing. I wouldn't say this hotel was incredible but it served its purpose which was a bed, a sink, a shower and a toilet.

Single guys and girls, if you'd rather be enjoying the pubs, clubs and beaches rather than worrying about if there are only 2 cups and 2 plates etc then this is the place for you.

We spent very little time actually in the room and the time we were in there we were either unconsciously drunk or just getting ready to go out etc.

Our room was on the first floor overlooking another hotel with a swimming pool - it looked more popular than ours and there were loads more birds around the pool - on reflection it would have been nicer to have letch'd in that hotel - still all in all it was fun.

• Liked — Local to all
  • Disliked — not quite 24 hour drinking (yes I'm British!)
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
Stirling
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2008

upon arrival at the Don Pepe (after a 12hr delay) we were told the hotel was overbooked and for the first night we would be staying just down the road @ the Catalina! We Were to return the next day at 12 when our room would be ready after the day we had we couldn't be bothered putting up an argument.

When we arrived @ the Catalina the reception team seemed to have no idea of what was going on but eventually put us in a room. The balony door glass was almost completly smashed in and the toilet ran constantly all night long!

the following morning we head back up to Don Pepe and find other holiday makers sat in reception and a very flustered receptionist!...... The hotel was still overbooked! Eventually after alot of disscussion with the receptionist two girls went over to a hotel in the bay, unfortunatly we had not budgeted fot the extra cost of taxi's from the bay so wanted what we had booked!

finally after about an hour the receptionist SUDDENLY had rooms not only for our party but two others?!!!!!! The room was bright and clean with a double balcony finally we thought our holiday was starting....Not so much!

We went down to the pool to find the dirtiest cloudy pool water, you probably could have picked up anything from going into it! We mentioned it to reception and they said they would get cleaners..... This did not happen untill the morning we were leaving we noticed a pool cleaner!!

Overall Rooms were clean when eventually got one, but very dissapointing experience!

• Liked — balcony
  • Disliked — Dirty Pool
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these Sant Antoni de Portmany hotels

crewe
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2008

Me and 3 friends stayed at Hotel Don Pepe, staff we always very welcoming and spoke everytime they saw you. But there was only one member of staff on all the time who was on reception, the was no bar or restuarant which didnt bother us as we were prepared to eat out anyway. The room was clean and spacious, self catering kitchen was very small and actually inside a wardrope but once again this didnt bother us as we wanted to eat out and just had cereal for breakfast (there was a fridge for milk) The pool area was nice and had sun all day but the pool wasnt quite as big as we hoped, and some guests were rather noisy and even took a cd player to the pool, so not very peaceful, but we still had a good time until ...... we arrived on the tuesday and stayed around the pool most days till the saturday when we decided to catch a boat to a nice beach 10 mins away. When we returned to are hotel room we were very upset to see that someone had been into are room. the patio door was open which we had locked and the room had been raided, clothes flung out the cases bags emptied, travel documents throw on the floor, beds separated etc we had all important thing in the safe money etc and thankfully the safe was still there. i say this because the safe isnt very big and not fixed down in any way to the floor which was worrying. nothing was taken that we could see and obviously the people/person who broke in was only after money. we told the receptionist who was good and came and looked and went to phone the police nly to be told they would not come, we had to go to them, so we asked to speak to the manager. The manager was fantastic and came within 20mins, she was very shocked to hear what had happened and couldnt appolgise enough, we were all very upset obviously as... Had we been watched? this was the first day away from the pool. How did they get through a locked door and could they get in at night while we were sleeping. we then learnt that 2 girls had, had there bags pinched from the pool area through the railings, we not longer wanted to stay and all wanted to come home. The manager was lovely and said we had paid good money and wanted us to enjoy are holiday, and offered us to be moved to a new hotel on the other side of the island and showed us a print out, plane tickets home were around £200 each which we coudnt afford so we took the offer to move. The hotel we moved to sam Remo was gorgeous and we even had half board for free as we were only self catering to compansate for what had happened, we then tried to enjoy the rest of our holiday. But after all the happened it was difficult. I do stress that the staff we fantastic and very concerned about what had happened, i do say that if you go to the island to stay in san antionio bay (where we were moved to) than san antionio itself its much much nicer Hope this helps

• Liked — The sun allday at the pool
  • Disliked — Getting broken into
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with friends