“Cheap & Cheerful!”

Hostel Anibal
hayleyann1986
“Cheap & Cheerful!”
Reviewed September 19, 2012

This review will be pretty much the same as you will read elsewhere, so I'll keep it short!

Starters, don't let HOSTAL put you off - this is a very pleasant 2 maybe even 3 star standard hotel with a small but nice pool area, and clean but very cold pool! The pool bar is fairly priced, and the food is very nice! We were not offered air con when we went in, and I'm glad we didn't. The room we were in was quite hot on our first night, but temperatures at night seemed to plummet from then on, so we didn't need air con, or have the balcony door open. The room was a decent size, only two plug sockets though. Big wardrobe, drawers and clean bathroom with shower attachment.

It isn't right in the centre of San Antonio i.e by the EGG or West End, but it is only a short 10/15 minute walk away. You can either walk along the street, or the more scenic beach way and pass Linekers bar, Itaca, Ibiza Rocks Bar etc. So a perfect location in my eyes, as these bars are way better than the West End. There is a Spar across the road which is very cheap for alcohol, and you can take it back into the hotel, although there isn't a fridge.

We were a group of 2 girls and 3 guys (26/27) and we found it a lively but clean place to stay. The towels were changed every day, rooms cleaned thoroughly and the pool area was clean. During our stay, another guest smashed a glass by the pool, and it was cleaned up immediately. I've been in other hotels where that has not happened!

The infamous night porter! He was a bit grumpy and needed things explaining a lot, but we found him ok. However, during our stay he regularly forgot who we were and who we were with, and we often had to come back down the stairs after he called us back down to be sure who we were! A little annoying, but if you laugh it off then he's fine. It's really good how secure he's actually trying to keep the place if you think of it that way, & we also saw him collecting up people's belongings that had blew off the balconies one night and was trying to find who they belonged to, which was really nice.

The hotel itself is for the young and lively, lots of noise at night eg banging doors, shouting etc but I did hear the night porter tell them to shut up and go to their own rooms! The pool area was busy but if you got down there at 10.30/11 then you could have a choice of sunbeds.

All in all, I'd definitely stay here again as the price is fantastic and really good location in my eyes.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank hayleyann1986

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 16, 2012

I would never ever set foot in this hotel again, it was most deffinately the worst hotel I've ever stayed in my life!!! The majority of the staff are horrible, abusive and rude. Not to mention how my toiletries mysteriously went missing from my unlocked bag after leaving it behind their counter for a few hours before waiting for our room to get cleaned. The room was basic as expected for the price. For how many people staying at the hotel the pool and the sunbathing area was way too small. The night porter was no trouble to be honest he just runs a tight ship and doesnt want any messing which you can understand, it was the man on reception with dark hair who's behaviour was disgusting demanding more money because I didnt pay for the room in cash which I told him I couldnt do, I paid his colleague the older guy by using my credit card and thought it must have been sorted and what he charged me looked about right. The next time he spotted me the younger man started being a total raving idiot and started making threats to throw us out the room because we didnt pay in cash and after a long argument which was completely un called for I had to pay an extra 30 euros for the taxes as apparently these werent included in what I paid on my card. Normally I wouldnt have done this and would have told him where to go but we had no choice as we already paid a deposit and didnt trust them to give us a refund if we went elsewhere. Anybody reading this please take my advise and DONT STOP AT THIS DUMP OF A HOTEL...BOOK SOMEWHERE ELSE FOR YOUR OWN GOOD!!!

4 Thank James D

Travelers are raving about these Sant Antoni de Portmany hotels

Reviewed September 15, 2012 via mobile

Stay 1 week in this hotel, There nothing fancy about the room you just a bed with shower and toilet and one socket.
You're about 10 mins for the beach and 20 mins from most of bars in San Antonio
There a pool area with bar, I never used it as I went to beach everyday
Staff were helpful including the night porter but some nights you hear loud arguments about the noise
One thing I would point out no guest allowed so i say better find another hotel that allows that.

• Stayed September 2012
manchester
Reviewed August 28, 2012

We arrived at the hotel 3am and was greated by "the dreaded night porter" he asked if we wanted aircon we stupidly said no,aircon is a must at this hotel the rooms get so hot,make sure you state this at reception as it is very difficult to move rooms once you have been allocated a room. The night porter actually turned out to be a nice guy,when you think of some of the idiots he has to deal with it is no wonder he comes across the way he does.

The rooms are very clean,there is lots of room and a balcony,no problems at all with the rooms.

The pool was a lot bigger than pictured,food is served all day, the bar is also really good we had a few cocktails.

Overall i was very happy with this hotel,the only problem i had was with the cockerels from the farm across the road,when you get in at 6am thats the last thing you want to be hearing for HOURS ha.I would stay here again

Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 24, 2012

Just got back from a 3 night stay. I read all the reviews and was expecting to turn up to a hovel with horrible staff. Soon as we arrived at the hotel I was shocked by how lovely it was. The owners son met us at the desk and offered us 30 euro's for air con which we we bought then gave us the key to our room. Was so impressed by how clean the rooms was and they was quite big. We was on the first floor and had a pool view which was pefect of a morning to just sit on the balcony and listen to the music. The food was lovely and both food and drink really cheap and the woman who cooks the food is spotless and cleans everywhere before she gives you your food the pizza's were amazing! The hotel owner was lovely so polite and lively and would make us lovely cocktails which were also cheap.
On to the dreaded night porter we had no problems with him atall he was a nice man always said hello and goodnight when we would get in he even phoned us a taxi to the airport and argued with the taxi driver for being late which we thought was funny. The hotel is chilled out and perfect for pre drinks before you go out and having cocktails by the pool of a day, noise werent a problem obviously there was some noise it's IBIZA!!! but we heard people saying that there hotel had people trying to break through there rooms while they was in bed we had none of that it was so relaxed!!!
We was put of by the name Hostel Anibal but it really is a nice HOTEL! About a quick 5-10 minute walk to linekers, eden, es paradis and the beach and once your there everything else is close enough so the location is perfect!!!!! Also a supermarket and a garage on the corner. Felt really safe in this hotel also and at first our air conditioning didn't work and the owner came and fixed it straight away!!
Would recomend this hotel to anyone going on a holiday with their freinds you really can't go wrong with this hotel loved it can not wait to be back there next year wouldn't even think of staying somewhere else now this has been tried and tested. Ignore the bad reviews!!!

Room Tip: Try and get a room with a pool view amazing waking up opening the balcony and just hearing the Ibiza...
2 Thank Liverpoolgirl L
Reviewed August 24, 2012

I've stayed at this hotel 3 times now and have just returned from my third trip. I've found the hostel pretty good value for money, it is only 2or3 star after all. There are mixed reviews on here about the staff working at the hostel but we have found that if you treat them with respect and are polite, they are the same back to you. The night guy can be rather rude but at the end of the day he is just trying to make sure the guests are safe and the hostel is looked after. We got on with him really well, he even showed us where to go to get the bus to the nearest beach.

Food is very basic; toasties, salads etc... We decided we would pay the little extra for bed and breakfast only to find it was a hot drink and two slices of toast! Wouldn't recommend! If your looking for a place to bring back people you have met on your night out, don't stay here, you won't get anyone in! If your looking for a place to chill and relax during the day and then party at night this is your place!

Try the tapas restaurant on the road towards the West end. It's across the road from Burger King, you'll see the sign. AMAZING food and great value for money!

• Stayed August 2012
UK
Reviewed August 24, 2012

I stayed here for 3 nights at the end July 2012. The rooms are basic but you get what you pay for. I think we paid £270 for flights and accomodation for 3 nights/4days, but I know you can pay per night something like £11 a room.
We had read about the night porter bloke so this was interesting, we got there the 1 st night at like 3am - he checked us in, took a copy of ALL 3 passports and gave us the key- told us to be quiet with our cases on the way up the stairs as people wee sleeping (as if anyone was actually in there room asleep) no offer to help us or anything. so at this point I thought oh ok he's fine just a bit grumpy.
Next night we went out and the the 3 of us got back at 4am and he flipped out - saying we were trying to sneek a friend in- then he keeps all the passport copies in cubby holes behind reception- and was screaming saying NO NO only 2 people in this room- and got out only 2 passport copies- so he must just take 1 out before you get back as he seemed to enjoy saying there was only 2 of there, before we even had a chance to reply to him he was saying I call police I call police- I think he does this to make people say no, no please ill pay you to not call the police. So my friend went up got her passport and showed it to him - hes booking sheet infront of him had my name and 3 person room next to it- and he still insisted we were only in a 2 person room.

Next night- as 1 of my friends tried to leave the hostal - he again approached her and said she was staying illegally so she had to show him her passport again.

Basically - as I had read the reviews about him beforehand we was prepared for his antics so wasn't bothered. when people are writing on here bad customer service etc - its not the Ritz, they can treat people like this as they know they're only there to get pissed and have a good time and if he can make an extra few pound by threatening to call the police then thats good for him.

Someone has put staff are so friendly on their review- well in the day it didnt get much better- man on reception/bar was really unhelpful and was not interested.

Would stay here again for cheap room to rest your head for few hours. Nice walk into the main strip/eden/ es paradis - along the beach.

Room Tip: Ask for room with Aircon- as ours didnt have it but on 1 review it said they asked to upgrade!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends