“Very pleasant surprise”

Hostal Tarba
Sant Antoni de Portmany, Spain
“Very pleasant surprise”
Reviewed April 3, 2014 via mobile

Booked a 4 night stay at the Tarba through Travel republic. Paid less than £30 per night for h.b. Receptionist was qt friendly when I arrived. He was wearing a hat & scarf, as he explained " it's still winter so there is nowhere open late at night" when I enquirer if there would be anywhere open to buy food at this time of night. As it turned out, there was a kebab place open ( usually the haunt of the drunk , reluctantly shared by the desperate in my past experience ) so I gratefully bought my donee and returned to the hotel. Receptionist seemed genuinely pleased for me . He gave me a card which I'd have to show if asked for at all meals. The meals taken can be used either at lunch or evening. A good idea I think , if you want to try some of the local restaurants in the evening then you don't feel as though you have missed out on a meal.
The free wi-fi in the room is a big plus for me, as a solo traveller it's less lonely in your room if you can listen to a bit of Radio 4 , for example. The wi-fi also runs at a good speed , which isn't always the case when its free.
I have found all the staff to be efficient, courteous, and it seems the ones who have the best command of English are the friendliest. ( imagine us in the U.K. Being expected to have a second language for what is probably not a great wage eh?! )
Finally, the breakfast is very good. A tremendous choice of continental breakfast, coffee or tea from the bar & , unusually, a juice machine that delivers a liquid that actually has some flavour, unlike most hotels. I recently stayed in a 5* hotel that served up juice that tasted little different to tap-water ( but DID serve cheap " champagne " at breakfast for the more sophisticated early-morning boozers ).
The room is basic but clean & tidy with a/c & a Spanish-speaking only tv unfortunately ( it IS less than £30 a night for h.b remember! ) but its fine for somewhere to sleep. My room is next to the road but ear-plugs are good enough to drown out the early-morning traffic, which isn't too bad at this time of year.
All in all, a tremendous bargain and ideally located for both the bus-station ( just round a couple of minutes walk away ) and the harbour , ditto.

Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Cycle2eats

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Darlington, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 22, 2013

Just returned from our end of season break, the Tarba was superb AGAIN, a great little place to stay, very well ran by a great local family. Pedro and the team really know how to look after you and I am certain you will enjoy your stay.

Great pool area, well priced bar and lovely food.

Thanks for a great stay, enjoy your winter and we will see you all again next year!

Phil, Holly, Dave & Emma

Room Tip: All rooms are good :)
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Phil_Gipsy_King
HTARBA, Gerente at Hostal Tarba, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Thank you very much for your words. It was a great pleasure to welcome you to Tarba and wish to seeing you all again soon. Best wishes from Ibiza.
Reviewed October 3, 2013

We turned up with two extra people on spec the receptionist dealt with it within minutes accommodated both girls , she could see we were just wanting to get showered and our and made us feel at ease and welcome . It's clean and tidy well worth the money . During the day the food is spot on, great coffee and comfortable pool area to recover for a couple of hours. Great location to stagger back to and nothing we asked was a bother to them , if you want hassle free great central location just a cheap place to lay your head this is the place to be

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank LeighAdvisor
HTARBA, Gerente at Hostal Tarba, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
We are pleased that the stay was to your liking and we could help you. We like to know that our customers feel at home and hope to keep doing. Greetings.
Reviewed October 2, 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and I, both mid 20, stayed here for a week of partying, so didn't mind a basic hotel. Central location on a back road so reasonably quiet from the road. I know the hotel staff cannot constantly nag other guests about noise but walls are very thin and even for me, loud music at 2am is ridiculous, a noise limit would be a good introduction. No new towels, rooms cleaned early every day so we were still in bed so cleaner walks in on us and it never gets done. Nice enough bar/ cafe downstairs. Helpful staff in our opinion.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank base_kadet
HTARBA, Gerente at Hostal Tarba, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Many thanks for your comments which will undoubtedly help us to improve our service. We will have in mind your contributions about music and other to ensure that all guests feel at home in our hotel. Greetings.
Corwen, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 30, 2013

Just returned from a girls weekend staying at hostel tarba. We paid barely anything for it and all of us felt it was excellent value for money. Firstly it is basically next door to the bus station. So you get off your aeroplane, jump on the San Antonio shuttle bus (4euros) and arrive virtually outside your hotel (Easy!). This also helps when going back to the airport, shuttle buses to the airport are every hour and we could literally leave the hotel five minutes before the bus was due.
Then the location to central San Antonio is also brilliant, being located centrally between the beach and the west end so only a five to ten minute walk to either. There is a supermarket close by too. Within the hotel there is a snack bar so you can wander down for coffee and toast or even a full English. The pool area is good, small, but clean with plenty of sun loungers.
Rooms are clean and a good size. We had no problems with reception staff during our stay.
It would have been nice to have clean towels during our stay however as some other reviewers have already mentioned. Also the view from the rooms is mainly of unfinished buildings unfortunately.
Overall a good little hotel, we would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for pool view
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Teresa D
HTARBA, Gerente at Hostal Tarba, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Thank you for your review and for choosing us for your holiday. We will consider your comments about the towels and will seek to improve the service to future occasions. Thank you.
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 21, 2013

I was looking forward to staying in this hostel seeing as it had such good reviews but was so disappointed with the way I was treated. The hotel itself is value for money, the rooms are decent for the price, good standard of cleanliness & the location is very handy. The first problem that I encountered was the fact that the balcony door did not lock, being a female in a room by myself I did not feel safe with this not working. I went to reception & explained the problem & the girl said if I stayed in my room she would send someone up to fix it for me but nobody ever arrived. I went down the following morning & asked the man at reception if someone could please come that day to have a look as they didn't bother the previous evening' again I was told to wait in my room & stayed there for 2hours and nobody bothered coming up. I ended up setting up a trap so that if anyone tred to get in through the balcony I would wake up with the noise. When staying in a hotel or hostel you want to fee safe & because of this I didn't.
The second problem happened when I arrived in after a night out. I walked up the stairs & the man at reception asked what room I was staying in which was room 315, i went up to my room got in my PJs & in the middle if brushing my teeth the man from reception came up banging my door & asked me to open it immediately which I did, he then started shouting at me asking where was the boy that I had sneaked in I said there was nobody in my room come in & check he continued to shout & said he would ring the police, i tried to explain that the boy who walked up the stairs at the same time as me was already staying there & their room number was 301 but he wouldn't listen, eventually I went down the corridor still in my PJs & had to start banging room 301 to show the man that I was telling the truth!!!! When he saw that I was actually right he shrugged his shoulders & went back down without even apologising.
I checked out the following day as I was due to move up to Playa Den Bossa fr the last few days. The hotel I moved to was a similar standard of decor & cleanliness but I was treated wit a bit of respect & manners there.

Room Tip: Don't bother plenty of other decent hotels & hostels nearby
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank KATHLEEN M
HTARBA, Propietario at Hostal Tarba, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Hello from Hostal Tarba.
The property of the Hostal was very sad when we read that serious comment . First of all we whant you to apologise for all that happend to your self in our house . This is a family business and for us it´s a big problem .
Do not hesitate that the Direccion will investigates both problems . The first it´s that nobody tell us nothing about the balcony window and the most important problem for us it´s that if the nightporter had confuse about that men , the first thing that he must to do it´s say " sorry " .

We realy don´t know how we can compensate you .
We will try that these will never happend again .

REALY SORRY .
Leicester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 19, 2013

Travelled early September with my 18 year old daughter
Having been to Ibiza many a time this was actually my fiirst time staying in San An and I spent many an hour reading reviews and dismissing hotel after hotel
Having choosen this hotel i was very pleasently surprised at the quality it had to offer for an exceptional price
All rooms had air con (self controlled) and a TV, although the rooms wernt excessively big they had adequate storage and a decent sized bathroom & balcony
For once breakfast was continental and not a fry up which made for a nice change ... cereals, cold meats, cheese, rolls, bread / toaster / jams / choc spread, youghurt, fruits, pastries
The hotel bar also served a variety of food, + there is a pool bar
The pool area isnt very large but does the job and the location means a short walk to the beach is an easy alternative
The Tarba is also located next to the bus station making for easy access to all parts of the island at any time of day and night (great for staggering off the discobus and only having a short walk to find your bed) + only a 5 minute walk from the west end but not that you'd realise you was that close as in a very quiet street
The staff were very good and having a night porter meant no (well very little) night time noise from guest, - the night porter can be a little abrupt if unsure of whose entering the hostel but a smile and a hola each time we entered meant he remembered and welcomed us in at all hours
Most of the cliental were young adults although there were a couple of families and both british and spanish
Overall an exceptional place to stay especially for those on a budget, and somewhere i'd be happy to stay at again
TIP - as this is a B&B we found a delight in eating at the RED INN just around the corner, quality food, cheap prices, and unbelievable menu of drinks too

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Russ M
HTARBA, Gerente at Hostal Tarba, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Thanks for writing this review and for choosing us for your vacation in San Antonio. We are pleased that your stay was to your liking and you got all the amenities. We take in account all your contributions.