“Cheap & Cheerful”

Hotel Playasol Riviera
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Cheap & Cheerful”
Reviewed September 5, 2011

Have just returned from a 10 day all-inclusive stay at the Riviera with my wife, and 12 & 4 year old boys and we had a great time, i would like to say that I really had no complaints about the hotel and thought it was great value for money. I really wasn't expecting it to be as good as it was considering the price we paid. The rooms, although a bit dated in decor are large, comfortable and clean. We had 2 balconies and sheets and linen were changed several times during our stay and the apartment given a good clean. It is true that there were quite a lot of young people staying who were there for partying in San Antonio, but there was no more noise than I would expect in any well known holiday resort, we had no sleep disturbed. There were plenty of other families staying and lots of kids in the pools that our little boy was playing with. The 3 pools were really nice with lots of room around them and we never had any problem getting loungers. We were more than happy with the all inclusive food and drinks, there was a decent selection of food every day (and plenty of it), always something to suit every taste (and the kids most importantly) and drinks & snacks were always on hand all day long until 11pm, the staff (Ola Toni!!) were helpful and friendly, and service was quick. The wi-fi can be purchased in the foyer (from 30 mins to a week) and works well and is cheap.

The location is great, about 2 minutes walk from a really nice beach and the ferry. The area is very family friendly with lots of big open air bars with bouncy castles (free) and other rides, plenty of gift shops and supermarkets. It is very different ffrom San Antonio itself (and a bit cheaper, a pint being about 2 euro) and geared towards families. Taxi to the airport is about 25 euro.

We booked this looking for a cheap realxing break, and I really wasn't expecting it to be as good as it was for the price, I would definetely recommend. I challenege anyone who complained about this Hotel to find something better in the area for the same price!!

1 Thank Snapper1971

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 30, 2011

We stayed there for 10 days from 19th August. Firstly let me say, it is not a family orientated hotel. There is no entertainment for children, and I must say not much entertaiment offered for adults. Most of the clientele appears to be within the 18 - 30 age bracket., probably only staying there for a few days, just using it as a base to go out to clubs etc at night. We did speak to some other families staying there and their opinions was the same. All said they would not return to this hotel.
The food we found good, albeit quite oversalted at times and dishes repeated quite a lot. Always a choice of pasta, fish and some kinds of meat dishes. But generally we ate well.
We had the restaurant manager everyday on wet duty, nobody is allowed to enter the dining room if they are wet, again, a lot of tugging of clothing taking place at the door to make sure you were dry. Not the best approach.
The only snacks available outside the dining rooms, are pastries and biscuits and sometimes fruit, small tubs of icecream are available. Sandwiches are available, rather poor quality, but you are only allowed one sandwich, one slice of bread, with filling. only cheese and ham, per person at a time. When we asked for these at the bar we found the bar staff to appear rather put out about this and felt we were being judged for asking for the sandwiches.
Drinks are served always with 2 icecubes, they do no like to give drinks without these, as it costs them extra money - for example extra drink is needed to fill the plastic cups without ice. I was told this on several occasions. All drinks are served in plastic cups, you would have to ask for china cups for coffee, if you were sitting on the terrace.
The rooms are clean, although slightly dated. Our air con did not work and we were offered another room, however as we were in a group and had adjoining rooms, because of this we did not take it up. You can hear everything is the other rooms, particularly so in the bathroom. So beware. Some people can be incredibly noisy when they have had a few drinks and coming into the hotel in the early morning.
We found the pools very clean and enough sunloungers available, plus it did have a small kids pool for younger guests.
We found the beach nearby, go out of the hotel and turn left and it is on a turning on the right, quite disgusting, but it is near the ferry to go to San Antonio. There is another beach to the right of the hotel which was much better. The first beach looked dirty, not cleaned and a definate bad smell over this part. Most unpleasant.
There is a lot to do for kids in this area, lots of playgrounds, which you pay to use, and some of the bars let the kids play free, on play equipment, if you buy drinks, so that is a plus.
All in all, this hotel, is, in my opinion, only suitable for short visits for adults, just to use as a base for going out at night and during the day relaxing. If that is what you want then it is good, but I would not recommend it for families with children.
You do get quite a bit of noise at night, but most of the entertainment has to finish at midnight, so really you only get noise from the people going out at this time, and coming in at early hours. But as I said soundproofing is terrible in this hotel.
We will not be returning to the Riviera.

Travelers are raving about these Sant Antoni de Portmany hotels

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 29, 2011

My boyfriend and I have just returned from a 1 week stay at this hotel and were slightly worried about going given the negative reviews - having now had a fantastic stay we really can not understand what people are complaining about!

The rooms were cleaned every day (with fresh towels left) and were spotless (albeit ours was a little small but after the first night we got used to it and our great view across the water more than made up for it!!).

The food was perfectly fine (we really enjoyed most of it actually) - always something to suit and plenty of pasta, bread and salad for those not too keen on the more Spanish dishes. I would recommend trying everything however (especially the various fish dishes on offer), we were pleasantly surprised!

The pool areas were great and very clean - (2 good sized adult pools and a children’s pool). The only issue I felt with the pool area was that someone could have done with doing a check every so often for empty plastic cups etc as some people didn't bother to use the many bins provided!

The main (and really only) problem we encountered I would say is that the sound proofing in the rooms is COMPLETELY non existent - it didn't really bother us at all although people staying with children may have an issue with this.

For what we paid for this hotel it far exceeded our expectations - we would definitely not have any qualms about returning or recommending to others! For people looking for a good base to their holiday (we we're out every night, taking full advantage of the water taxi across to San Antonio - which was great value for money!) I would thoroughly recommend this hotel - fantastic holiday all round! :)

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank EmmaLochLomond
merypajon, Gerente at Hotel Playasol Riviera, responded to this review, September 1, 2011
Dear Emma,

Thank you very much for your kind comments. It is rewarding to see the work we do on the hotel is appreciated and valued. We will continue working hard so that all customers will come to the Hotel Riviera have the best holidays.

Hope to see you again in the future!

Thank you very much!!
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 24, 2011

Stayed here for 14 nights with husband and youngest daugher. On a scale of 1 to 10, I would give it about 5. We went all-inclusive. I don't think I would do this again at this hotel, as the attitude of the staff sometimes came across as 'you've paid -- so like it or lump it'. And indeed, I heard that one guest was told to stop complaining by a member of staff, as he was getting a cheap holiday. You really don't talk to your customers like this!

Some aspects of the hotel were good and for this reason I say it's a mixed place. Our room, especially, was cleaned everyday and we had fresh towels. The pool was fine and we always got a sunbed. The food was plentiful, though bland, with lots of salt. No 'fresh' orange juice - only fanta - strange for a country like Spain and not what you want to drink at breakfast. Also, we had to queue up in the morning to make our own toast - which put me off bothering as I'd just rolled out of bed and the queue was long.

Still, I could have lived with a lot of this. The big problem for me, however, was the staff at this hotel, many of whom have been working at the hotel for years and just seemed set in their ways. Some staff were great, but many in my view, could have done with an on-going programme of customer service training!

The resturant was run more along the lines of a school canteen where the manager and waitresses (who worked hard) issued snarling orders in Spanish at the guests, particulary the British guests. I experienced waitresses letting the guests know their disgust at having to pick food up from the floor or their finding stains on the table cloth! They would noisily fling culterly and plates onto their trolleys as they paraded up and down the aisles, and launch tirades against any man, woman or child who dared to go into their domain, damp from the pool. I got whistled and shouted at by one 'dinner lady' for innocently wandering into enemy territory behind the coffee machine on my first morning there! All of this could have been said in a much more mannerly way by staff and would have made such a difference.

I also did not like the fact that the all-inclusives had to drink out of plastic cups at the bar, the children's entertainer did not show up - even though I asked about him at Reception. We lost money in the snooker machines and staff would then send us on a wild goose chase between Reception and Bar to get it back which we didn't bother to do in the end as we were on holiday and didn't want the battle. It took me three days to track down the manageress who did not respond to messages left by me at Reception to see her. When I did corner her she said she would try to address some of my concerns but neither asked my room number or name so I didn't get the feeling any of it was taken very seriously. Either way she never got back to me with feedback.

Much of what I found disappointing about the place boiled down to staff training and how to make guests feel welcome and this is a management issue. However, I would say that if the management were to try and address some of these issues, the hotel has great potential. It is in the quieter area of San A Bay. It is very close to the beach and while we were there it was quiet at night. I'm not sure the Hotel Inspector on TV would give it three stars, but overall we enjoyed the holiday regardless!

2 Thank tomsmaureen
merypajon, Gerente at Hotel Playasol Riviera, responded to this review, August 26, 2011
Dear Tomsmaureen,

First of all I would like to thank you that you have chosen us to spend your holidays in Ibiza, and you've taken the time to write your comments.

I would like to apologize for the treatment you have received by hotel employees, and I assure you that after the conversation with you I went to the dining room to explain the complaint and how they should act in the future.

The bar serves drinks in plastic cups because it is very dangerous to have glass in the pool area and we do not want any accidents.

Finally I would like to again apologize and hope you choose us again to demonstrate that every day try to improve our services and quality.

Kind regards,
The Management
Kaiserslautern, Germany
Reviewed August 23, 2011

Pros: Close to the beach, Close to restaurants, Nice pools, Close to the Boat taxi

Cons: I knew going into this hotel that it was not a 5 star. Some of these things may seem petty to others; but when you are the one dealing with the issues, they don't seem so petty:

-NO WiFi in the rooms (you pay for it, but have to use it in the lobby)

-Our Airconditioner did not work when we checked in so I asked for a fan and they said I would have to pay 20 euro to rent one (it's not my fault your AC isn't working when it's almost 100 F outside, so why should I have to pay?) and also the staff that was there was ignored my request to have it fixed; he eventually told me he would make a note of it for the maintenance man; I woke up the next morning to make sure a note was made and the lady said there was nothing written down; so I had to put in another request; it was fixed later that afternoon, but the maintenance man left the AC off after fixing it so it took about 2 hours to cool the room back down. Two days later the AC started making weird noises during my sleep, when I woke up in the morning I found that it had leaked water and black chunks of debris all over the floor (definitely a hazard right when you are waking up); I went down and told the front desk and they gave me another room after aruging with them. The new room they gave me had COCKROACHES!!!! Disgusting! But, I didn't see them until the morning we were checking out when they were all over my floor towels. I told the manager and he acted as if it was an everyday thing to have these nasty bugs in a bathroom.

-Halfboard: we ate at the hotel a total of 3 times in 5 days... the food was nasty! Same things everyday for breakfast and dinner varied a little. I would not waste your money to eat at the hotel unless you are fine getting full off of bread and cookies! Also, if you do not have all inclusive, one 6oz glass of soda will cost you 1 euro!

-The bar downstairs is only open until 11 pm. As most everyone knows, people don't even start going out until 11; it would be smart to have it open until at least 1 or 2 am.

-We did not get room services the entire time we were there BY CHOICE! After reading the reviews from other hotel guests, we opted just to have our towels changed out and leave the do not disturb sign on the door; we did not want our passports or money stolen.

-Customer Service when we first checked in, despite the AC issues, seemed very good! They were friendly and helpful. After arguing about the room issues, the manager slammed his fist on the desk and starting cussing me out in spanish, not professional at all!

-The hotel walls were VERY VERY thin. I could hear the person in the next room having relations, definitely not a good thing if I were to have a kid in the room with me. If you were in the bathroom, you could hear every conversation going on in the other room. NO PRIVACY!!!

-The beach was not nice in this area! I did go on a bladerunner tour and the best beach was the Cala Conta, white sand and sea through green waters!

-The area around this hotel is not up tempo; if you are looking for more of the party spot or where most of the people gather around, go to San Antonio Town. It is quite easy to get there from this hotel, but the last boat taxi stops at midnight and it's VERY hard to find a regular taxi after 6 pm.

Overall, I was VERY unimpressed with this hotel. I expected more for it being a 3 star hotel! DO NOT ignore the negative reviews as I did! You will be disappointed if you do.

Room Tip: Cockroaches, No AC, Rude Staff, Nasty food!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Roxanne N
Torquay, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 22, 2011

On arrival early in the morning with 2 tennage children found our room open and not fully cleaned. Rubbish was in the doorway which we had to move before we could go in. We then opened the patio door to see the view the patio door frame actually came out in my partners hands and it did not lock. This is quite worrying when sytaying in such a busyarea with young children. Our room was not cleaned for 3 days and the rubbish was not removed. We had no safe as we were told they were all broken so had to take our valuables to the reception desk every day. The air con was excellent which was a bonus as it was so hot. It was also extemely noisy and not really a family hotel . The noise often went on all night. On our 4th nite our bathroom smelt like the black hole of Calcutta. We asked to be moved but had to wait until the next morning-we had to sleep with our windows and doors open as it was so bad. We were moved the next morning. The staff I think thought we were getting a cheap holiday and kept implying this. I do not think £2200 for one week is all that cheap. The drinks were served in plastic party cup glasses with 2 ice cubes in each glass leaving you with about 100mls to drink. 2 drinks are allowed per guest and on one occasion my partner asked for more coke and was called a greedy B which was quite upsetting as we were not like many of the other guests.The mini golf is badly maintained like most areas and full of cigerette ends. The whole apartment complex could actually do with some maintenace. I do not know what the rooms were like as did not view them. The food was fine and quite edible.Pool area at front of the hotel really needed a good clean. I have never submitted a review before but felt very strongly about informing other families about this hotel. I submitted a questionnaire saying the above.

Room Tip: Try to avoid apartments as near to the road,very noisy and very basic and tired
London
Reviewed August 22, 2011

I found my stay at the Riviera a pleasant one its a basic hotel kept very clean but is in need of renovation as it is outdated.
Staff were polite and friendly but at times I felt like a child as we were read rules of the hotel like we were St Trinians girls. Maybe our looks were deceiving and they thought 10 mature Ladies were teenagers on their first break away from parents.

Rooms were cleaned daily and beds were comfortable
Be warned that you can hear everything
Food was ok they did provide a variety and fresh fruits my saving grace was always available. It is value for what you pay. I personally wouldnt come back not because of the service I received but simply as it to far from clubs I wanted to go to and Bora Bora Beach. Alot of my money was spent in taxis commuting me back and forth to the beach and clubs

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
#45 of 99 in Sant Antoni de Portmany
Apartahotel La Sirena
Apartahotel La Sirena
#33 of 99 in Sant Antoni de Portmany

Been to Hotel Playasol Riviera? Share your experiences!