“Nice Holiday Better than expected”

Marvell Club Hotel & Apartaments
Chester, United Kingdom
“Nice Holiday Better than expected”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2013

Myself and my family stayed here in August,when we arrived everything looked great,staff pleasant hotel entrance/lobby very nice,........then we get to the room ARGHHHHH!!!!!
Room 107 nightmare,not enough beds for the 4 of us and a view of a roof with broken air-con generators,I went straight back to reception and explained the shortage of beds and the horrendous view. The lady seems to have lost the good English she spoke when we arrived and didn't understand what I was trying to explain,so rather than me get wound up I decided to wait till the next day to speak to the rep when his head wasn't stuck in his phone.Eventually after 5 days we were moved to 227 front facing bigger room better view hence a little noisier because of the bars opposite but that didn't bother us ( ohh we did get the correct amount of beds the next day in our 1st room.
The pool area is excellent very clean and always looked great in the morning before the sunbed run (my missus always got the same beds everyday by the little pool purely so we could keep an eye on our children as the are not competent swimmers) she was so funny to watch running for a bed lol.
Katy in the pool bar worked her socks off everyday great lady,Alex the little froddo man had the task of sunbeds and fair doos he made it look great.
Enrique what a star again worked brilliant with what he had and he really made our holiday special I personally loved the way he did Bingo had me in stitches with his little qwerps.
Maria was excellent with the children tbh all the pool area staff were great.
Ok the restaurant great food but sometimes it was only warm not hot but I suppose it depends when you go get you're food,the restaurant itself is always clean and staff work hard to make sure tables are cleaned fast for waiting diners.
My best meal was at the hotel restaurant where you dine for free but you do have to book with reception the spicy chicken wings are to die for yum yum.
There are some nice beaches around the one by the water park up the road is really nice it a 10-15 minute walk but worth it my girls loved it.
I hope the hotel makes a few improvements over the coming years for example a slide into the main pool for the kids,a soft play area near the pool bar as it has plenty of space there,better entertainment during the day what I mean is give Enrique and Maria more to work with ie better equipment and a budget to create better activities for children and adults.More quality evening acts would make a better holiday aswell.
We met a lot of great people at the Marvel which made our holiday even better.
Over all Myself,Lynne and my 2 girls loved our holiday.would we return to the Marvel???? well never say never.If they follow the advice and tips given by fellow guests the I would say yes.
Any questions about this review or if you want to ask me about the hotel experience please ask

Room Tip: Get a seaview and 2 floor if possible
1 Thank Stuart J

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
Grimsby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2013

Stayed here on a 10 night all inclusive in August, myself, husband and 12 year old daughter. Whilst the area itself isn't the best the hotel makes up for it.We had a refurbished room with pool and seaview and was certainly worth paying the extra for, the view was amazing.Rooms were plenty big enough with good air con, cleaned everyday with comfy beds. Food was very good plenty to choose from including some strange items ( battered broccoli )! You really would be hard pushed if you couldn't find anything you liked. Snacks were good too as was the large selection of drinks in the bar.Staff in all areas of the hotel worked extremely hard, it was just a shame that some people think that it's ok to leave their rubbish instead of putting it in the bins. The hotel was clean in all areas but that was purely down to the staff as some of the guests were shameful in leaving rubbish especially near the pool. The pool was very large and even with many inflatables there was still room for swimmers, yes it was deep but that didn't affect us as we can all swim.I am afraid to say we joined the sun bed race a couple of mornings, however we still managed to get beds for us in the afternoon when we came back, although can I just say I did not run to get the same bed unlike some guests! Entertainment was Enrique and Maria Whoopa! kids painting, football and waterpolo during the day. Evening entertainment was Enrique again calling the longest and funniest game of bingo, along with reptile shows, flamenco ect. As for the area it wasn't what we expected quite run down and needs a good spruce up but that didn't spoil our holiday. There were beaches within walking distance port des torrent or the one near the Milford hotel,where you can catch a water taxi to other areas. If you have booked this hotel you will have a great time, if your thinking of booking then do it!

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank claire l
manchester
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

OK so this is a 3 star hotel and its just that, no bells and whistles and nothing overly special to write home about.

The rooms are small in fact tiny for a family of 4. Once all for beds were out it was comparable to a refuge camp! The room we had overlooked the notorious shooters bar opposite and the neon lights of the Chinese restaurant and moby dicks arcade blinked through the windows all night, which was an annoyance. The noise that came from shooters bar which I refuse to call singing went on until midnight and was on occasion hillarious but did mean you couldn't get to bed before midnight, this caused no real issue for us but early nighters be warned.

The pool area was nice and despite the notorious sun bed run we always got a bed regardless of what time we turned up at. Only downfall is its ridiculously deep for a family pool meaning young children could only use the baby pool.

Food was the saving grace of this hotel after having a bad experience with a 3* all inclusive in Cyprus last year my faith was restored as the restaurant had fresh cooking station with a choice of meat or fish every night, carvery and a good selection of other dishes. Only negative for the restaurant is the drinks machine as for the entire week we of our visit there was no diet coke and the beer tap just pumps out head & no beer! But it was a minor gripe on what is a great hotel restaurant.

Overall presentation is dated and I thought the same of both the hotel and the resort it was all a bit of a time warp back to the early 90's. the hotel it's self needs better / more facilities to compete with the majority of other European hotels.

All in all the hotel experience was all a bit mediocre. like I say nothing terrible nothing spectacular, but I wouldn't bother coming back to the marvel or San Antonio bay until they escape the 90's and get up to date!

• Stayed August 2013
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2013

We have just returned from Marvell after a 14 day holiday, we are a party of 8, and on the whole we had a great time, but I must point out, as other people have a couple of niggles. I read prior to our arrival that the sun loungers were snapped up really quickly in the morning.......well, at 8.30am people would queue up to get the loungers, on our first morning we looked over our balcony and we witnesses hoards of people sprinting for loungers, it was cringe worthy, and embarrasing to watch people desperate to get a lounger, then they cleared off for most off the day, really not on!....but..do not despair as we sauntered down at 10.30 most days and always got a bed in a good location by the pool bar and was great as you would get the breeze from the sea to cool you, so don't be put off to much as there are plenty off beds to go round.
You will get offered a 'free' meal in the restaurant attached to the Hotel 'Prizzi's Italian'....don't bother with it. We booked our table and were shown to the table, it is a set menu and mostly from the main dining room in the Hotel, We ordered our food and I swear to this day the guy serving was doing his level best to irritate the life out of me, to the point my starter only came out moments before the mains, which was poor. The service was poor and the one member of staff's atitude was disgraceful. You will be better dining in the Hotel, trust me. Now I must give an honest review, so, if you were to use this restaurant and you are not staying at the Hotel you will get better food and better service, we did witness this, so there you have an honest opinion.
Food in the hotel is good and plenty of it, great variations every day and plenty for fussy eaters as one of my kids is.
We were allocated a room with a pool and sea view, spot on, cleaned every day by very nice and friendly staff. Air con is free and is a big plus as it was very hot.
Enrique the entertainer and 'WHOOPA' man is consistant and you can tell the time from his arrival and program, a little repetetive and could do with changing some of his music, on the whole he was ok and entertained the little ones with his friend Maria.
Good bus service to San Antonio and beyond, sea taxi 3 euros to San Antonio every 30 mins both ways.
Good choice of local drinks and some good bars down the road if you want to drink into the night, if you want to watch the sun set then there is a great vantage point just 2 minutes down the road.
We are looking to return next year as we really did enjoy the holiday.

Room Tip: Try and get a sea/pool room. Room facing Shooters can be noisy
2 Thank Darren S
West Midlands, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2013

Despite reading conflicting reviews on different sites prior to booking, I was hopeful that I had made the right choice, I knew I had within an hour of arriving. Reception was 24hr & staff there were incredibly helpful, particularly when I commented within an hour of our arrival, about my disappointment we had been allocated an unrefurbished apartment rather than a refurbished one. Don't get me wrong there wasn't anything off-putting about the apartment it was spotlessly clean just the décor was dated but you expect to get what you have paid for. So the hotel manager went out of her way to show us apartments she had available & we were swiftly relocated. The apartment was well equipped with kitchenette, comprising hob, fridge/freezer, kettle (free on request), rental safe for valuables (31E less deposit for 2 wks.) For those not on All Inclusive there was dinnerware, cutlery & cooking utensils available for use. The bedroom & living area both had air con/heating this was operated by individual control units when the key card was inserted in the panel located by the apartment entrance. Hence it only operated when you were in the apartment. Bathroom was spacious & bright as ours had a window which made a pleasant change. A fixed hairdryer here was very useful & well used despite taking one. Our apartment 213 located at the far end also had a second balcony off the bedroom which overlooked the side road & neighbouring apartment blocks. Some noise could be heard at night but this wasn't a problem. Towels were changed daily, staff were pleasant & friendly. Cleanliness of the apartments, restaurants, reception & pool area was exceptional. Cleaning staff worked tirelessly 7 days a wk to maintain these areas. Both restaurants were well staffed, tables were quickly cleared & re-laid for waiting diners. Once seated the excellent food & choice of beverages were buffet style with the exception of fresh fish or steaks cooked to order at the grill. At both lunch & evening sittings there was an extensive variety of food. This was very tasty, plentiful & beautifully cooked with choices of soup, rice-pasta-Mediterranean salads, vegetables, cooked meat/poultry, seafood/fish, rice, pasta, potatoes & a superb selection of desserts & ice creams. Breakfast was similar most mornings, selecting from either a full English, continental, cereals, pastries, fresh fruit, yoghurts, toast & preserves etc with a few changes each day. To give it a full seal of approval we stumbled across a holidaying UK Food Inspector towards the end of our stay, who had visited the hotel kitchens, sampled the food & highly rated it. This was good enough for us & very reassuring. Beverages both hot & cold were always available from 8am to 11pm & were excellent. No diluted spirits or beer here, even the soft drinks were good. Some reviewers have complained about the time the bar closed but with the numerous bars just yards away..those that weren't ready to call it a night had plenty of other options. There was no limit on how many drinks you could get at any one time so stocking up before the 11pm deadline was a practical solution to this & you could stay up as long as you wanted to finish them. After all this is very much a family orientated hotel, unless your children were teenagers (majority were under 10), families were not interested staying up beyond midnight!! Also we learnt that there are strict noise curfews monitored by the police in the area, local bars were required to close their doors after midnight & as a result entertainment provided by the hotel had to comply with these regulations. With San Antonio town a short bus ride away those looking for a livelier holiday should consider staying there instead. Entertainment was courtesy of Enrique.. loved by the kids & his go-go dancers but dreaded by the parents because of his endless whoopahs!!! He was good fun throughout the day by the poolside, keeping the kids entertained with table-top games, table tennis, water games, pool & football. Our son enjoyed this immensely & we only saw him at mealtimes. Evening entertainment varied from night to night, it commenced with a good old game of BINGO, a Great British favourite with cash prizes! Followed by either live music, flamenco dancing, hypnotist show (comical), quiz nights, reptile shows & karaoke. Sometimes it was cheesy but that's holidays for you & whatever it was if it didn't appeal to you it probably did your kids! For those kids that felt it wasn't cool to hang out with their parents there was a Games room where they could hang out together. At all times safety concerning your kids was never an issue. The hotel & poolside areas were very secure with access primarily through reception & then because the hotel was set back from the road, even the reception area felt far enough away from the traffic & humdrum of nearby bars. An on site supermarket was reasonably priced but for those after cheaper bargains or souvenirs there were plenty of others to choose from. The local area had many closed shop fronts or incomplete building projects simply abandoned which unfortunately is a sign of the current times & this did mar the resort. People were friendly, English was well spoken & at night the area was buzzing & felt a safe place to be. Water taxi's are available at nearby Hotel Milord at an affordable 3E each way to San Antonio. Taxi's are not common place, buses are more popular but neither of these were as enjoyable as travelling across the bay - well worth the money!! Also available were day trips to nearby beaches & other locations. The location of this complex was very good, unless you prefer to bask on a beach. The closest one..just a stones throw away was quite rocky & not suitable for young children. Another situated at the nearby Playa Bella apartments was a little on the small side. Better ones were further afield if you were prepared for a good 30-45 mins walk, which in the very hot Ibizan sun was not an option for us, so we made do with the hotel pool. Which incidentally is the largest pool I've encountered on a holiday before. It was a full 25m x 10m which was very popular with kids & their inflatables. It was saltwater & spotlessly clean inside & around the pool. Not freezing cold like some I've come across & it was a pleasure to take a dip, but it was quite deep. Though this didn't seem to cause too much of a problem for less confident swimmers as most were using inflatables anyway. There was a ledge around the perimeter upon which you could stand safely to just cool off rather than swim if the depth was a problem. Access every morning was sometimes a scramble as it wasn't opened until 8.50am (Queuing began at 8am) & guests would rush to secure rows of beds. YouTube video uploads of this are quite amusing to watch!! But of all the places I've been to, this was the fairest & most practical solution to the problem of people putting out towels from 5am & then disappearing for most of the day. There were a plentiful supply of sunbeds & parasols. In fact there were often still lots available later on in the morning, so either Brits just love to queue or we're now suffering from OCD when it comes to getting the best poolside spot. Not a German in sight to blame either!!

I wouldn't hesitate to return here nor would my family.
The only downside to our stay was a Thomas Cook rep who wasn't particularly sociable. A travel rep seemed an odd career choice for somebody who preferred to sit at his desk & chat on his mobile phone the whole time rather than mix with his guests that are arriving every few days. His very enlightening welcome meeting was extremely handy if you were 30 or under & your sole intention was partying in San Antonio every night..incidentally I was the youngest there & I'm in my forties!!
So we discovered San Antonio for ourselves rather than take any advice from him & we thoroughly enjoyed our 2 week stay. We did however comment about him to the reception staff who were already aware of the situation & were of the same opinion as us. We were shocked to discover from them that he was an area manager. Obviously the promotion had left him with the feeling that being hotel based was now truly beneath him!!
Don't let this put you off, especially if you are a Thomas Cook customer, as there's still a fantastic time to be had at the Marvell!!

Room Tip: Refurbished rooms with pool or sea view are extremely comfortable & quiet but are only available...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank 009Amanda
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2013

With reviews and pictures from this website and others, I wasn't expecting much (even regretting the hotel choice somewhat), but I have never prejudged anything as inaccurately as I did Marvell Apartments.

Upon arrival (after a 7.5 hour delay!) at around 2AM the hotel looked deserted, however well kept, clean and generally well looked after. The room was pleasant and well equipped (although the kitchenette only had a hob, fridge/freezer and sink so not if self-catering), tidy, clean and even modern with new door fittings and bathroom.

The sofa bed of which I had the pleasure of sleeping on was one of the best hotel beds I have ever slept in, even better than mine at home! The room had full air con in each room as expected.

The food was wonderful with most meats served differently each night, chips at all meals for kids, a fully cooked english at breakfast. After the main meals breakfast, lunch and dinner were served in the main dinner hall there was 'snack' which had a full english available in the morning and hot dogs, burgers, etc in the afternoon before dinner.

The only downside to this hotel would be the bar closing at 11PM which did put a downer on a night which was started brilliantly by the entertainment provided each night although the word 'whoopaaaah' you will never want to hear again from the entertainer.

Very sad to leave in the end after a good week filled with an excellent choice of drinks, really good food, lovely staff and clean/safe environment.

Room Tip: PAY EXTRA FOR A SEA VIEW ROOM - the view on the other side of the hotel is of the tops of the lobby...
1 Thank ryha123
Wigan, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2013

Just come back from a two week stay at Marvell. I wasn't expecting much as the hotel is 3 star and some reviews were less than complementary. I was very pleasantly surprised when I walked into reception. It looked smart, clean and tidy. We booked a refurbished seaview room which was worth the extra money. It was cleaned every day by the fabulous cleaning staff who always had a smile and said hello whenever they saw you. We were given clean towels every day and the bed linen was changed several times during our stay. The choice and quality of food was very good. Swordfish and tuna steaks cooked as you waited were my husbands favourite. The quality and variety of drinks was good. I used to enjoy seeing what the cocktail of the day was and with the exception of one enjoyed them all.The pool area was well maintained and plenty of sunbeds. It was actually quite fun to see people running as if their life depended on it to get "their" sunbed. I always waited until the rush had gone and always managed to get two. The staff were very good and were very helpful especially Jill on reception. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would not hesitate to go back.

Room Tip: Pay extra for a seaview room.
Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Occidental Ibiza
#2 of 13 in Sant Josep de Sa Talaia
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,532 reviews
Sol House Ibiza mixed by Ibiza Rocks
Sol House Ibiza mixed by Ibiza R...
#11 of 105 in Sant Antoni de Portmany
Hotel Gran Sol
Hotel Gran Sol
#1 of 105 in Sant Antoni de Portmany
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,378 reviews

Been to Marvell Club Hotel & Apartaments? Share your experiences!