“Awful - IF you have anything about you, you will read this & NOT come here!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Globales Cortijo Blanco Hotel

Globales Cortijo Blanco Hotel
Bolton, United Kingdom
“Awful - IF you have anything about you, you will read this & NOT come here!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2013

To start with, the hotel had been mis-sold to us through Thomson Cook - which got us off to a majorly bad start, especially when everything we'd asked for (4 Star, Adults Only, All Inclusive) was the opposite to what we got.

Upon arrival I cannot being to describe how absolutely devastated my fiance and I were, to be "welcomed" to a 3 star, family hotel behind the motorway.
The hotel was beyond horrific, I was hoping, after 24 months of not having a holiday abroad, newly engaged and after a really hard 12 months juggling university, enduring full time job and a part-time weekend job that I would be able to see past the mis-sold holiday and just try and enjoy myself.
Except of course we couldn't.
The food was beyond inedible, pasta mixed with raisins and carrots; stale bread; mouldy fruit; chicken with the texture of fish; cheese that was sweating. (The chicken left us in bed for a whole day as we were so ill from eating it) The low standard of food meant that our spending money of €800 was all spent on eating out.
The 'all inclusive' status of this hotel also needs reviewing, the only thing worth consuming within the hotel was the bottled water and ice cream, however you had to pay for this!

On one occasion my fiance had decided to buy me a leather bag with the money we'd saved and brought with us... this was stolen within the resort, nor the hotel staff of holiday rep seemed too bothered by this. Another €50 down the drain.
It came to light that there were many more robberies within the resort whilst we were staying there - which led to armed security patrolling the hotel during the day and night - which only added to my absolute devastation.

The room was basic, which I could deal with. However the hinges on both the wardrobes and bathroom door were loose. The shower head faced outwards, and drenched the whole bathroom when you washed, leading me to slip one night on the tiled flooring.
There was one plug socket between the both of us; the hair dryer didn't work; the rear doors for the balcony was insecure; the garden area in front of our balcony was covered in cat faeces, leading onto our room to constantly smell; our balcony was covered in ants; we were woken everyday by the cleaners above us at 7-8AM moving the furniture on the tiled flooring; we paid for WiFi (€26) and our room was outside of the WiFi boundary; we were told not to leave clothing on the balcony to dry as it will be stolen, yet the dryer on site was faulty, leaving all our clothes damp and smelly; children screaming constantly; pool area surrounded by children constantly.
One morning we were awoken by two men power drilling our wall, at 7AM, I called reception to complain, nothing happened - leading me to get changed and walk across to reception to complain to them in person.

All the above was a constant reminder we had been mis-sold our holiday and that we had, in effect just wasted £1610 on a holiday despite trying to save for a deposit for a house and a wedding...

I had cried everyday on the holiday, I wanted to travel home every morning and to be quite honest it broke my finances heart seeing me so upset.

I cannot express my sadness enough and can fully ensure you, that I will never, ever recommend Thomson or this hotel to friends or family.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
8 Thank BFleurH

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (577)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2013

Been a while since i was in this hotel, but review may be of some help in your choice.Firstly, the staff are some of the friendliest i have come across. They do most of the entertainment in the evenings as well as daytime activities. The food is about average for a 3*. Bearing in mind also that it took me 2hrs transfer time from Malaga airport, even longer if there is a few drop offs before you. Rooms are fairly basic but cleaned regularly. Overall value for money as it is very reasonably priced. The cheapest way to book is through Ola holidays as they are owned by Gobales i believe.It is well situated for visiting Gibraltar, Marbella, Puerto Banus, Estepona.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Fuengirola, Spain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2013

We had a fantastic holiday at this hotel last year so went back for another 2 weeks this September. If it's possible, the hotel was even better than last year and yet again we had a really fantastic time. The rooms are cleaned daily and the staff cannot do enough to make your stay enjoyable. The entertainment team are brilliant and the food had definitely improved from last year. We will definitely be going back next year yet again!!!

Room Tip: We always ask for a room overlooking the entertainment/stage - the balconies are bigger
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CafeIndulgence
Llanelli, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2013

I have just got back from a week's holiday in this Hotel and felt compelled to write this review as after reading the reviews before going, as I always do, I was really wary about what was in store for us! The hotel was wonderful, our rooms were cleaned and beds made up daily with fresh linen twice during our week and clean towels daily.
The food was lovely, everything was plentiful and replenished frequently, there was always a wide selection of meats, fish and plenty of salad, on two occasions there was a cavery selection and we also had a bbq - I really could not fault a thing, between dining times there was also a wide selection of snacks available until 11.30 pm
The drinks were wonderful AI from 11.00 am - 12 midnight - tea/coffee machine by the bar
Everyone was extremely helpful and friendly.
I really can not undertstand why some people said that the food was terrible, honestly, there were 5 of us and we all thought the same, it really could not be faulted.
We caught a bus into Marbella and Puerto Banus - which cost 1 Euro 18 cents - well worth a visit, we caught a catamaran back from Marbella to Puerto Banus which cost 7.5 Euros and was well worth it.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 1033 - which was large and quiet with aircon
4 Thank AmandaTJones
Sunderland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2013

Me and my friend have just returned from a 4 day break at this hotel. We were not disappointed one bit.
We were given a upper floor room which overlooked the pool as I requested but on arrival we found the balcony was very small.. I only had to ask for a different room near the tennis courts and we were moved within seconds. These are the room you need to stay in. Much bigger, quieter and large balcony in the sun....lovely.
The food is average and caters for many tastes, the breakfast is supposed to be the best but sadly with late nights, I did not see the breakfast!!
Drinks are plentyful though only 2 per person at any one time, no problem really.
We found a lovely quiet sun terrace with plenty of sun loungers just up the steps from the main pool area, proper sun trap, beautiful.
Staff are pleasant and rooms very clean, pretty surroundings and lovely complex, really you cannot fault this Hotel for being 3*.
PLEASE NOTE......Do not get a transfer coach from Malaga airport. This was horrendous and I really wouldn't say that if not true. We landed at 12.10pm, sat on the coach till 1.25pm awaiting other flights coming in. We were then on the bus for over 2 hours dropping off at other hotels finally reaching our hotel at 3.50pm.....sick!!!! Taxis are dear (100 euros) as the airport is an hour away from the resort but we chose to do this upon our return as our flight was 10.45am and our pick up time was 4am....absolutely ridiculous.
Overall a great Hotel and would definitely stay again.

1 Thank a s
Armagh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2013

My friend and I have just returned home from a 1 week stay at this hotel. My friend is physically disabled and has quite limited mobility and we chose this hotel with her needs in mind.

The good points:
The hotel grounds are absolutely stunning and in pristine condition. All the staff work so hard to keep it this way. The majority of staff speak very good English. There are 3 pools. The main one is quite noisy and very crowded. It is also quite deep. It does have a disabled access lift. The water was very cold. There is a much shallower pool at the back of the complex suitable for children. There is also a slightly deeper pool in front of the hotel to the left hand side. As there is no bar over there it is probably the easiest place to get a sun lounger. The bedrooms are cleaned daily, bedding and towels changed daily as well. There is an on site small shop that sells newspapers, magazines etc. and also a small gift shop that sells the usual tat. A quick 5 minute walk away will bring you to a large supermarket. Food was served from about 6am to midnight. When the main restaurant wasn't open the snack bar was so if anyone went hungry it was their own fault.

The not so good points:
A new motorway has been built just outside the hotel and consequently if you get the bus into Puerto Banus it stops on the wrong side of the motorway on the return journey. This necessitates walking up and over and down the other side of a flyover and a reasonable walk back to the hotel. This proved impossible for my friend. The difference for us was the bus cost 1.18euro each way versus us having to pay a taxi of 8 euro each way. Obviously this is not the hotel's fault but thought it worth mentioning in case you too have mobility problems. I nan around the hotel there were areas that had minor steps but would be impossible in a wheelchair. In the block we stayed in a man in a wheelchair was held up by his friends as another friend pushed the wheelchair into the building. The bedrooms were also not disabled friendly. The room safe was on the floor so impossible for my friend to reach down to. Rather bizarrely the shower head was fixed to the wall on the long side of the bath so that when it was turned on it hammered against the shower curtain and also covered the bench. There was no rubber mat for safety so impossible for my friend to have a shower. Our rep did tell us that when the hotel closes for the winter a refurbishment of some of the rooms is planned so perhaps they will adapt some with the disabled in mind.
We went to the evening entertainment on a couple of nights. If Bingo is your thing then great but its not ours so we gave it a miss. The food was ok for a 3 star hotel. We were disappointed that the food was not more Spanish. I have to follow a gluten free diet and I always found something to eat with pudding being the only course I struggled with as everything seemed to be flour based apart from the fruit. For some weird reason they put biscuits floating in the custard so I daren't eat that either!

In terms of good/bad room locations it comes down to what you want. If you like the quiet life and the freedom to choose an early night then ask for a room by the tennis courts as they are at the back of the complex and are peaceful all the time. If however you are night owl and don't mind not being able to get to bed until after midnight then a room in the central courtyard or main pool area is the place to be.
We travelled with Thomson and our rep was called Lynne. She was with us from the airport and she actually lived in this hotel. What an amazing woman. I can honestly say I have been travelling over 20 years and I have never come across a more helpful rep. She helped me carry the luggage to the room and organised so much for us when we were there. It was a big birthday for my friend and I asked for a cake and Lynne went out and bought her one. She even got a special gluten free one for me so I wouldn't feel left out. She also helped us out at the airport so much. She really is a one amazing ambassador for Thomson.

The transfer times are long so if you don't want to spend a couple of hours on the bus get a taxi. On one occasion we bumped into another couple and shared so halved the cost. There were others in our hotel who did the same. Reception were happy to match folk up in this way.

Overall I would go back but I wouldn't take my friend here as I don't think it is 100% suitable for those with limited mobility.

Room Tip: Email the hotel in advance and ask for a room by the tennis courts if you want a quiet room. This is...
2 Thank isabella1970
Plymouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2013

My friend and I recently stayed here for 7 nights and I have to say it is one of the best hotels I have stayed in and I have stayed in many throughout Spain. The staff cannot do enough for you and most of them speak english making communicating excellent. The buildings/rooms are set like spanish style villas however the actual rooms are basic but very clean and maid service was on a daily basis. We stayed all inclusive and food was of a variable choice and plenty of it! Entertainment is provided each evening catering for both children and adults in a very tasteful way. I cannot say enough about this hotel and I would certainly stay there again and most certainly recommend it. Excellent value for money all round.

3 Thank Sharon D
Barcelo Marbella
Barcelo Marbella
#16 of 71 in Marbella
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,177 reviews

Been to Globales Cortijo Blanco Hotel? Share your experiences!