“Superb restaurant - our favourite in this area”

Restaurante Casa Fernando
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Traditional spanish restaurant with daily fresh products from the market. Wide terraces and garden area. Guarded parking area just in front of the restaurant.
Reviewed October 31, 2011

This is a great restaurant and not one found on the usual tourist trail - set just outside San Pedro on the road down to the coast. Its a great find - a superb setting with the main building beautifully lit at night and a large, attractive outside terrace on warm summer evenings. Their speciality is fish, whether its boquerones fritos, fresh prawns or (our favourite) fish 'al horno' which is their recommended fish of the day cooked on top of a delicious mix of potatoes, tomatoes, onions and peppers all cooked in a tasty sauce - the whole dish is then presented and served at your table. The service is excellent with all waiting staff really knowing their stuff whether its food or wine - all very friendly and welcoming too.
We visit everytime we are in southern Spain and always look forward to going again as its such good quality.

1  Thank LSC8

Reviewed July 3, 2011

Mainly known to the locals for their fish dishes and has recently been awarded a recommendation in the Michelin Guide they also offer a small selection of meat & paellas.

I would like to come back here to dine again only because the food was so fresh and the service/environment was extremely beautiful and relaxing but a little over-rated in my personal opinion.

I am happy that I had the chance to dine here to taste simple fresh local ingredients cooked at it’s best, but for the price we paid… I’m sure there are other restaurants out there that could offer you that little bit more “omph”.

I have more photos of Restaurante Casa Fernando in my blog: www.luxehunter.co.uk

1  Thank ButterflyDreams
Reviewed June 14, 2011

My husband and I love salt baked fish which we tasted for the first time at Casa Fernando years ago.
The restaurant is situated in a lovely villa away from traffic and close to the beach. The garden is wonderful on a summer's night. Service is excellent, the atmosphere is casual elegance.

1  Thank eclairewl
Reviewed November 17, 2010

I have visited Casa Fernando in San Pedro de Alcantara several times during the past 5 years. The visits have been during June-July. It has been either friday or saturday evenings and mostly I have made the booking 2-3 days earlier. We have usually been a group of 4-5 persons.

There restaurant is towards the beach from San Pedro center. You could walk there When staying in San Pedro center, but it is easier to get a car to go to the restaurant. It is easy to find and there has been parking places in the front.

The dinners have always been a real pleasure and bring back good memories. The outside garden dining area is beautiful and has a nice relaxed atmosphere.

The staff has been very friendly and professional throughout every time. Never any hassle with reservations or table service.

The food has always been great, especially I have enjoyed the small clams and the hot prawns "pil-pil" from starters and the salt baked whole fish as main course. The salt baked fish has always been chosen to match our group size perfectly, so each one has gotten a good sized portion. I have not tried the main course meats, the place is clearly a seafood restaurant.

This year (2010), I noticed a big improvement with the desserts. Our group of 5 persons each ordered a different dessert, which we then shared. They were all extremely delicious, and left a nice after taste of the whole dinner. My Lemon sorbet with cava was sublime.

The wine selection was quite large and also had some easier spanish crianzas and whites, which I like better with seafood.

The prices were of very good value when compared to the quality of the food.

As a restaurant, I think it is on a higher level compared to the other San Pedro area restaurants, especially to those, that specialise in seafood. Also compared to some Puerto Banus Marina seafood restaurants, I think it is of a better value.

Highly recommended!

2  Thank Jar670
Reviewed October 13, 2010

Went back to this restaurant recently after skipping it for a couple of years. The last time we went we were very pleased with our experience but the latest visit was very disappointing but hopefully just a once-off blip.

What's great about Casa Fernando is the food and the terrace. Four of us went and we were all happy with the food we got. Maybe not blown away but not unhappy with anything. The terrace seating area is also very pleasant to dine in.

What was not so good was the service. It was just very sloppy and we ended up having to complain at the end out of sheer frustration and we were not the only ones on the night.

It was never clear who was looking after our table and a female waiter that appeared now and then was borderline rude on each occasion including dropping plates onto the table in front of us.

The table next to us complained to the manager who was dressed in jeans and a very casual shirt - he didn't seem very upset at the complaint. We also complained as we left but again all he could say was sorry but did not seem too bothered.

If I was the head chef, I would be very annoyed as the service spoiled the meal - as is often the case.

The overall impression I got from this visit was that this is a restaurant that has had better days and the staff are maybe too much in control these days. Pity, as it could be a great dining location.

CasaFernando, Owner at Restaurante Casa Fernando, responded to this reviewResponded November 15, 2010

Dear Sir.,

We appreciate all the comments from all our clients. We are very sorry to hear you had a bad experience and will do our best for it not to happen again. Now with the economical climate it's sometimes very difficult to estimate how many clients our restaurant can have every evening and due to this it might have occured that we had too little staff on the day you visited our establishment. Again, our most sincere apologies and we look forward to being able to proof to you in another occasion that our service is worth the visit.

Best regards,