“Decent Hotel with everything necessary in Conil” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Andalussia

Hotel Andalussia
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Decent Hotel with everything necessary in Conil”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2012

I stayed in the Hotel Andalussia with my boyfriend last month and we had a decent experience, definitely fits into the 3* category field. I feel as though the hotel was a little built up via the website and offers, and more disappointing after arrival. We had gotten a rather good deal through Atrapalo... the deal stated a nice Standard room with breakfast and 1-2 hours in the zona de relax. We were quite excited about the place until we got there. There was barely anyone in the hotel, and we were given a room with a view of the parking lot, hoping we might get a room with a view of the sea since it was so dead. In addition, the TV wasn't working properly due to some satellite problems. The breakfast was sub-par... Food quality was under-desired and the coffee machine spit out some of the more awkward tasting coffee we had ever had (POOR quality compared to what you'd get from any bar in Andalucia). The zona relax was strange. When we booked, they said that you could only book up to 8 people in the area at a time, so we were thinking it was quite big. When we went there, there was one hot tub, a small suana and hot/cold shower area that was hard to figure out how to work. The hot tub only had one function that we were able to use, and the sauna smelled stale, especially when the humid steam came out, and wasn't even hot, but cold and uncomfortable.
In conclusion, the hotel was overall disappointing compared to my expectations prior to arrival. However, the hotel is a decent base for discovering Conil and driving to the near, incredible beaches. The nice thing is that there was ample parking outside, so no need to pay for the garage (although I doubt it'd be the same during Conil's high season). Even though I was bummed, the place had everything that we needed and it wasn't bad enough that we didn't enjoy every minute of our visit. I would recommend if you're looking to have a decent night's sleep and acceptable experience. After all, I hope you'll be spending most of your time at the beach and enjoying the town centre.

Room Tip: Might be worth it to pay the extra 10€ for a superior room.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank leodani21

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Hungarian first
  • Indonesian first
Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2010

We stayed here for 11 days, using Conil as our base to explore Andalucia for our honeymoon. Hotel is located a little out of the way, which, actually, is pretty nice if you're driving since you don't have to venture down the narrow streets with limited parking in town. Parking is ample, and free, although there is a completely unnecessary (for now -- until the area develops) parking garage available for 5 euros/night.

That said, there is nothing in the immediate vicinity of the hotel, except a grocery store, which was nice when stocking up for a day at the beach. However, town was only a 10 - 15 minute walk away and most of the beaches have parking available, so its location didn't really impact us too much. And actually, we rather enjoyed the peace and quiet at night.

Hotel has a clean, modern design. I would imagine it's very new, if it's not, it looks new. The hotel website pretty fairly represents what you'll get upon arriving at the hotel. Staff was all exceedingly polite and spoke varying degrees of English. Some had excellent English, others, only passable, but all were very friendly and eager to help.

Beds were a little hard for my taste, but I think that may just be a European thing. Didn't affect the quality of sleep though. Great views out the huge French doors of mountains and a sliver of ocean over the tops of the condos nextdoor. TV's a little small, but that didn't really matter since there were no English-speaking channels, so we didn't watch any TV while we were there. A/C seemed to work well, and silently. And as other reviewers have said, yes, at breakfast time, you can hear people down in the cafe. Didn't bother me too much.

On to breakfast. We loved it the first few days there. I suppose after 11 days, anything will get old. But they had a great spread of fruits, melons, cured ham, deli ham, fried eggs, fried potatoes, potatoes au gratin, pastries, cheeses, spreads, rolls, and cereals, juices and 'coffee'. I put it in quotations because they serve you instant coffee out of a machine, I suppose so that there's an incentive for people to buy the real thing from their cafe. Really, we were very happy with breakfast.

The only down side to the hotel, the one thing that makes me rate it four stars instead of five is the food situation. One night I asked about whether they sold beer at the grocery store, and I was told that no outside food or beverages are permitted on the premises. The problem is, that in Conil, there's no easy way to get dinner when you're exhausted from a long day of sightseeing, you either have to walk 15 minutes into town (where there are some excellent restaurants, I might add), or drive over to Playa Fontanilla where there's a host of mediocre restaurants (all owned by the same person with identical menus). There were some nights where we were exhausted and just wanted to order a pizza or something, but of course couldn't. I think this policy is to encourage people to use the cafe, but the cafe only serves sandwiches. And by sandwiches, I mean bread with a piece of meat, and maybe a slice of cheese. I don't expect a hotel with only 30 rooms to have a stellar full-service restaurant in it, but I wish they would be a little more forgiving about outside food. Also, never having fully adjusted to the Spanish schedule, we were uncannily always hungry right around siesta, when everything, including the hotel cafe, was closed. Considering the international demographic that frequents the hotel, it would be nice if the cafe didn't close at siesta.

So as not to end on a sour note, I should add that the hotel had an excellent pool and pool area. It was great to come back after a long day at the beach to the pool with a book and order a few beers from the cafe.

In sum, I loved Conil, and am so glad we used that town as our base. Hotel Andalussia worked perfectly for us and helped make our honeymoon great!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank mike922
Hertfordshire,UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2010

We have been to Conil many times staying in different places but this year we discovered a real gem! Hotel Andalussia has only 30 rooms but it is brilliant. Impressive design and lobby, very welcoming and friendly staff, excellent breakfast, lovely swimming pool. And the best: as it is rated 3 ***, it is very reasonably priced. It is only a short walk to the centre; even if you have a car, parking is difficult so a pleasant 10' stroll will get you to the tapas bars and restaurants. They only charge 3 euros for wifi for the whole duration of your stay. No need to pay for the underground parking as there are plenty of spaces on the road. A large supermarket is round the corner. One of the best beaches in the world, El Palmar, is a short drive away-the hotel's location is ideal and as this is an off-centre neighbourhood it is also very quiet. We loved it !

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank aliki51
dudley uk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2010

What a lovely hotel, set about 10 mins from the village, hotel is set in a quiet area. Rooms are very clean, but the only thing is you can hear the lift operating and his very noisey which you can hear and also when people talking in reception noise can be heard. The under ground carpark is excellent and very secure. Staff are lovely and friendly. Yes i would go back but i would recommend a room away from the lift and perhaps some earplugs.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Innsbruck, Austria
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2009

Well, I stayed in this hotel in October- end of the tourist season.

It is situated out of town, you really do need a car. It is surrounded by new built apartment complexes, but there is nobody on the street, very unusual for Spain.
No other guests to see in the hotel - I felt lost and the wind has been making terrible noises....
Next morning the wind was a storm I tried to stay for a while on the swimming pool which seemed more protected but even my shoes were blown away!
The swimming pool was nice but small, about 30 chairs available.
The room was ok, large windows and comfortable bed. The furniture looks cheap.
The staff was very friendly, but it was rather difficult to get a cop of coffee about lunchtime.
Breakfast was included in my (special) price and it was ok, the room for breakfast is very very small and I wonder how they will manage this when the hotel is booked out.
I would not recommend this hotel to a single traveller because you are so far from everything and you can even not go for a walk because there is nothing to see.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank ladyfromaustria
Adelaide
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2009

What a lovely find! A smaller newish hotel located just slightly out of the main tourist drag but very quiet and very comfortable. Lots of free and easy parking which is a bonus in Europe!!!
The staff were really helpful and charming and did everything to make our stay comfortable. The dining room staff tried to accommodate our occasional western style requests for breakfast in the most helpful way too.
We were two couples travelling and we liked the size of the hotel, the very comfortable and well kept rooms and the staff and easy parking. It was very easy to stay there.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple