Just returned from a 2 week self-catering family holiday two days ago and I have to say it was a very enjoyable break, Having intially read several reviews about the accommodation regarding the spaciousness and cleanliness of the rooms, I wasn't entirely convinced until we actually reached the apartment itself and saw it for ourselves. We were pleasantly surprised as to how large the rooms were, including the kitchen & bathroom. We had booked a one bedroom apartment which was ample for 2 adults and 2 teenage children. The accommodation was very clean, light, airy and quiet and our room had the pool view. It was more like a little house or a flat (not open-plan) which was ideal for us. The main windows to the rooms had shutters on them which appeared strong, secure & robust. thus providing us with a peace of mind despite reading the previous negative reviews about safe break-in. When we first arrived, I recall not being overly impressed with the outside of this aparthotel as it seemed deceptively small, housing 2 small pools (we were used to staying in larger hotels although in hindsight their rooms were much smaller in comparison to Plaza Real's). However, the well-maintained exterior of this aparthotel and spaciousness as well as the nice decor of the rooms more than compensated for that, and in the few days of our holiday we knew we had made the right choice staying here.
The hotel staff were helpful & friendly and prompt with any of our requests. The air conditioning in the room was truly a Godsend as it was very hot day & night. However, we had still got bitten by mosquitoes... I had been bitten at least 15 times during our stay...thus it is highly recommended you take along an insect repellant with you!!
We had no real issues regarding sunbeds which was probably due to the hotel's strictness about reserving sunbeds...even so, we still found a few people reserving sunbeds. Due to the intense heat, many guests required pool-side parasols but this was often a let down as there were very few which were often already taken by the time we reached the pool.
We ate out at various cafes/restaurants in the evenings at 'the strip' which is a good 15 mins walk (the short-cut way through what is known as the 'dirt' track' which was a short path leading to the main strip where all the pubs, bars & restaurants are located). There was lots of choice of eating & drinking places. The larger food superstores (if you want to buy your own food/drink and get more choice) are about a-20 mins walk away but you would most likely need your own transport or taxi to bring back any heavy shopping with you.
Overall, it was a pleasant holiday experience and I would recommend this hotel if anyone is thinking of visiting there. We would certainly go back there again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Plaza Real is a complex of 63 apartments, self-catering and equipped. The apartments are divided into three types: Studio, T1 and T2 in Duplex, some apartments have a generous balcony. (See the description of the apartments) The Plaza Real has an excellent pool for adults, a pool for children, a playground and a mini tennis court. This accommodation is about 10 minutes walk from the beach. The center of Portimao, Marina de Portimao and Praia da Rocha are 3 minutes. Portimao Railway Station is 3 km from the Plaza Real. This accommodation is recommended by the good price / quality ratio in Portimao. Great place to spend your vacation. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Agoda, Otel, Hotels.com, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Travelocity, Hotwire and Evoline ltd so you can book your Plaza Real Atlantichotels reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Plaza Real Hotel Praia Da Rocha
- Plaza Real Praia Da Rocha
- Plaza Real Atlantichotels Praia Da Rocha, Portugal - Algarve