“Cockroaches, dodgy electric, dogs...not what I expect from a holiday!”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Vau Aparthotel

Vau Aparthotel
Vau Aparthotel
Ranked #13 of 20 Hotels in Praia da Rocha
Perth, Australia
“Cockroaches, dodgy electric, dogs...not what I expect from a holiday!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2010

I stayed here on 15/09 - 22/09/10 for one week. One week of my life I'd like back! I went with my mum for a relaxing sun holiday. Journey from the airport was just over an hour, pleasant enough. On arrival, the Aparthotel looked 'ok' and seemed clean enough. We got room 608 - on the very top, LH corner and the room was very spacious, it had 2 bedrooms, bathroom, kitchenette, living area and 2 balconies. It 'was' spotless..until the 1st evening, when a cockroach appeared in the kitchen and me and my mum were petrified and straightaway wanted the next flight home! Called reception to complain & they sent up a cleaner with a broom - wtf?, who didn't speak English and didn't know why she was there. She sprayed the room(apparently).The cockroach 'disappeared' and we immediately blocked all the sinks, closed all the doors to be sure it was gone. Next evening...it was back! Rang reception again, spoke to a guy(skinny with glasses) and he refused to do anything about it and told us to wait til morning - I was having sternly explained that he should get his behind up to our apartment and remove the creature - which he did, he splatted it to death with my paper. To say we were happy would be the understatement of the year! I asked for a new room & again he said wait til morning. We didn't have any more creatures throughout the week - well none that we saw. There is an apartment block directly facing the Aparthotel and i presume this has permanent residents as dogs were barking a lot and I could see them from our balcony - not good when you're trying to sleep! On our second last day, I noticed that the bathroom light wasn't as bright as it had been..so I checked the other lights, and as I turned each one on, the previous one got duller. Then all the lights went out, TV went off, all electric went out! Only in OUR apartment though - Disaster! We were going out for dinner, and weren't able to get a shower, as there was no lights, plus we couldn't use hairdriers either. Rang reception and they told us 'we're getting the man to fix it now'. 10 mins later, rang again 'still waiting on the man'. further 10 mins, me and my mum stormed down to reception and sat there like complete idiots because our room was in complete darkness. Not once did the girl on reception apologise or try to accommodate us in any other way - apparently all the rooms were booked up - yeah right! Sat in reception for at least 30mins, then I asked could we use a room in the sister hotel, a few yards away and she said 'oh yeah, not a problem' - why didn't she suggest that in the 1st place!? Reception in the hotel were snotty too and cheekily told me 'only use the room to get showered and then out' grrrrrr! As we were leaving to go out, we heard an almighty spark...and I actually thought someone had been electrocuted! Electric came back on later that night while we were out, thankfully our last day came and we couldn't wait to see the back of the place. Nobody at reception said 'goodbye', so we didn't bother either! I will never be back to this Aparthotel, resort or country! I found Portugese people to be very rude, stared at you a lot and didn't have any manners - unlike us wonderful Irish! :o)

Only good thing about this holiday was(the flight home haha), Praia da Rocha was a 5min taxi ride away(5 euro there & 3.90 to come back..hmmm) and it had nice restaurants (La Dolce Vita, Steakhouse, Lena's) and bars (Cheers, Croke Park, Durty Nellys and On The Rocks) Still, I'll NEVER be back!

Another thing, dont be fooled by the picture..the pool is like a paddling pool!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
4 Thank dj_frodo

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Havana, Cuba
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2010

The senior studio with 1 bedroom and lounge was our preferred choice. We used the breakfast bar to make snacks and we appreciated the coffee maker and fridge. We made tea by boiling water in a pan. About 30 channels on the TV came in handy on wet days. About six English language channels but CNN and BBC World were too business oriented for me. The restaurant was pretty good to eat in and the bar was comfortable enough for a late night drink although football and sports programmes played non stop on the TV. The staff were friendly and helpful particularly when our flight was cancelled. Free internet access proved extremely useful too.
The pool though unheated was great for a cool dip and the nearby toilets and shower facilities were clean and looked good.
Praia do Vo is a great beach for sunbathing, and depending on the tide good for swimming and it's used by a local surf school. The beach side cafe/restaurants serve great food a couvert and a main meal was enough on most nights but we did sample the fish soup on occasion. We paid about 35 euros for the above plus beer wine and coffee for two. Pai Thomas is a snack bar on and serves great sandwiches although smiles are rationed for the days when Sporting Lisbon wins.

There is a mini market near the hotel which is reasonably priced unless you really must have Kingsmill bread and the service is spot on. The Costa bar has a smoking lounge, hard seats a dart board and properly chilled beer. The restaurant next door is excellent in terms of cooking and service.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Felonious
Innisfil, Ontario, CANADA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2010

Stayed in the Vau Hotel for the 3rd time in 10 years, great, service great, clean, quiet, beach great, front desk great, helpfull, computer in lobby helpful to check on goings on in Canada.

Best of all great food and wine in walking distance, beach great.

Will come again, thanks for a great vacations.

Tripneys.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ctripney
Cambridge
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2008

I stayed here with my Husband, 3 year-old and 9 month old... The hotel was very clean... room cleaned every day, bedding changed every 3 days (unless you asked for a bed change which the cleaner happily did for us) and clean towels every morning. Very comfortable rooms and suitable for cooking snacks (2 hot rings, microwave with grill, saucepans, frying pans etc, dishwasher, crockery and cutlery. Coffee machine but no kettle). 30 Euro's to hire the safe for 2 weeks. We had the family suite which slept 6 plus infant! We have just returned so it was a quiet period so we basically had the pool and beach to ourselves (I think the pool was a reasonable size but I guess it wasn't high season). We found the staff very helpful and cheerful and the food was very nice... A typical european buffet breakfast consisting of Cereal/rolls/toast/eggs/bacon/cheeses/ham/yoghurts/juice/tea & coffee. I would probably say it was more a 3* than 4* simply because it had no facilities except the pool and we had some heavy rain so were stuck in with nothing for kids to do. The area is simple... a couple of mini markets, a restaurant (Casa de Vau) which is recommended and the beautiful beach (5 min walk) which has further restaurants. 20-30 min walk to Praia De Rocha which is a busier resort with larger beach and nightclubs/late bars and shops all selling the same thing. If you want a relaxing holiday on the beach then a definate... for a family holiday I personally would not return or maybe consider a week instead of 2. If you get good weather then lots of day trips available. I would say it was the best hotel locally. Algarve was more expensive then I thought though.... Recommend Lake Garda, Italy :-)

• Liked — Cleanl with friendly staff
  • Disliked — No activities
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2008

We were originally booked in next door to the Clube Praia de Vau (3*) but when we arrived we were upgraded to the Vau. The apartment was quite spacious for just 2 of us but I do agree with a lot of the other comments. The staff were dour, it was quite noisy (mainly the furniture on the floors from other rooms) and the maid, Matilda, didn't do much cleaning just made the beds and swept the floor. It was very quiet when we were there and Portugal was cold for the time of year and it rained a few of the 10days we were there for. Wish I had taken more long sleeves instead of that extra bikini!. The pool was unheated but looked nice.The hotel restaraunt was very good & I would recommend going there for a evening meal. I would also recommend a trip to Alvor(Local minbus o/s hotel will take you for E1.40-ask at hotel reception) and a trip to the Continete(?) supermercado for supplies as the local supermercardo not quite super enough. Praia de Vau beach was stunning and well worth going-even in the rain but be on the look out for the dirty old men who patrol the upper cliffs(on the furthest away part of the beach to the left-looking out to sea)-looking down at girls in bikinis. While we were strolling along these cliffs we encountered one doing something that he should have been doing in public, from then on we seen them regularly up there. Yuck.

Stayed May 2008
1 Thank SpaceTimeTravel
Scotland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2008

We were disappointed in this hotel. We knew the location and prefer its quieter beach to that of Praia da Rocha which is really Blackpool with sunshine. The walk to Praia da Rocah takes 20 minutes along a lovely clifftop promenade.

The hotel was functional and clean with the smallest pool I have ever seen and hardly enough room to swing a cat around the pool area so very few sunbeds available (and why they don't have many pictures of the hotel on their website!). Food was boring and basic served in a room that doubled as a lounge/bar after dinner, but it was the staff that made us feel quiet unwelcome. They had a habit of leaving you standing at reception for 2 minutes before acknowledging you were there and the manager was rude and arrogant when we asked for a room that didn't look over an abandoned building site. I suspect that had we been Portugese we would have been accommodated in our request. His attitude towards guests clearly cascaded down to the rest of the rest of the staff who never smiled and also barely acknowledged guests at all. Could not in all honesty recommend this hotel although I could see that the apartments would be good if you had a family as they were well equiped.

• Liked — the nearby beach
  • Disliked — Really dour staff, tiniest pool in the hotel world and teeny restaurant
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Travelers are raving about these Praia da Rocha hotels

London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2007

I would have to say this hotel is more a 3 star than a 4 star. Yes the rooms are modern and clean. (not quite so impressed with the cleaners though), however the food left a lot to be desired. Breakfast was really really basic, and unless you fancied a walk in the mornings there really was no other alternative.

We ate at the hotel restaurant one evening - but this was pretty plain and basic although staff were accomodating and friendly.

The hotel could really have done with a room service option as although you have the option of cooking you dont always want to. and sometimes we were so tired with the little one we did not fancy the trek to the outside restaurants.

Apart from one rude receptionist on the first day, the staff were really friendly. Although not so good on the information. To the point that on one day we ended up paying 50 Euros more for a trip than what we were told to expect.

The pool area was nice - it was kept clean and tidy. Pool was not heated though which made it difficult for my little one as he is not quite two yet - so cant swim and therefore got very cold very quickly.

The beach (praia da vou) is only a 7 minute walk away but with the little one of an evening even this was tiresome. The Il Timone restaurant was nice but apart from that the restaurants were pretty boring.

Praia da rocha was a bit of a trek with the little one, and so we only ever did it by taxi. I would recommend getting a cab and going to Alvor for your evening meals as there was a lot more choice and were very nice.

• Liked — THe fact that it was an aparthotel - good option with kids
  • Disliked — food!!
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with family