“Nice location. Rooms with low soundproofing”
Review of Pestana Viking

Pestana Viking
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Porches
Reviewed March 7, 2014

The location of the hotel is exceptional. Right in front of the beach with a magnificent view to the Atlantic Ocean. The service is adequate and the breakfast not being extraordinary is quite acceptable.
The main problem is the low soundproofing of the rooms. One can easily hear people carrying their trolleys in the corridor or dragging the chairs in the room above yours.
I spend three nights in the hotel during low season, so in summer time this evaluation can be somehow different...

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank sptsilva
There are newer reviews for Pestana Viking

Reviewed March 4, 2014

The hotel is beautifully sited overlooking the ocean, cliffs and beaches. We had a sea view room with balcony and thoroughly enjoyed the view and the balcony. We were on half board so used the kitchenette to prepare our lunches. There is a new supermarcado just up the road from the hotel with everything we needed plus more.
The staff were very helpful and considerate. My daughter used the indoor swimming area but I could not go there as the chlorine smell was too much for my asthma to tolerate. I am not able to walk any distance so the hotel provided a wheelchair they had on hand. It made a great difference to our enjoyment of the area.
The only problem I had was with the bed. It was very hard and gave me a backache. I finally folded a spare blanket and put it under the sheet.
The food was excellent! There was an ample variety available for each meal presented in very sanitary conditions. I would recommend this hotel highly.

Room Tip: I would opt for one of the upper floors so you can get decent views of the area. The extra charge f...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Alysce O
Reviewed February 10, 2014

We recently stayed here on our "mini moon" and had a fantastic stay, staff were very helpful! Bar was very generous with their spirit pouring, food was good and the indoor pool and spa were brilliant! Highly recommend, any season there is something for you to enjoy!

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank louloubelou
Reviewed February 9, 2014

I got a very cheap last minute deal to this hotel, so wondered whether its advertised four star status would actually be real, but it was probably deserved. The central atrium of the building rises from the reception floor to the seventh floor, with most of the rooms leading off corridors around this, and it is is vast and not particularly attractive, but the warmth of the welcome and the quality of the rooms and the service could not be faulted. The vast majority of the staff were professional, pleasant, and smiling, with just two exceptions preventing me from awarding five stars in this review. Smiling, being pleasant, and making eye contact should be compulsory for all those working in hospitality!

I had a room on the sixth floor of seven, which gave pleasant views across a neighbouring cove and east to Almacao. Lower rooms are unlikely to have a view, but are cheaper. The room had a vast bed, which was comfortable, a marbled spacious bathroom with loo, bidet, and bath with good shower above it, a kitchenette area (behind sliding doors alongside the wardrobes) with cupboards well-stocked with crockery and cutlery, a kettle, a fridge, and a microwave. No coffee and tea were provided, but the facilities were great. No hair dryer in the room, but you can ask for one at reception. There was a chair at the usual hotel desk/dressing table, plus two very comfy chairs at a table by the window. Glass doors (great curtains to block out light) onto a spacious balcony with a table and chairs - though not used much during our stay.

Breakfast was excellent. Cereals, juices, fresh fruits, yoghurts, continental cheeses and meats, hot dishes, great range of breads and cakes- plus extras could be bought such as made-to-order omelettes. There was some variety, though not a great deal, but the range was such that no further variety was needed. I didn't have an evening meal but I gather from friends that they were rather ordinary. (There were several good eating places nearby, even in February, and the lunch time specials at many cafés were a real bargain). The bar is rather lacking in atmosphere, and prices are high, but there's a local bar just over the road (Palmeiras) that we enjoyed.

Before travelling I found it hard to find out exactly where the hotel was. Some descriptions say it's in Porches, others in Almacao de Pera, but it's actually in a small area called Senhora de Rocha, between Porches and Almacao ( about 30 minutes walk from the latter). The hotel is surrounded by blocks of recently built apartments - all unoccupied at this time of year - but there is a local bus stop just across the road which is halfway between Portimao and Albufeira (4.10 euros each trip) and the hotel runs a courtesy bus into Armacao at 10am and 2pm, so exploring the area is relatively easy even without a car.

Most of the guests were German or English golfers. We walked, and explored the coastal paths in both directions. (Eastwards you cannot walk along the cliff top from the hotel, but need to detour up local roads for about half a mile before joining the impressive path.) Try taking the hotel courtesy bus, then walk from Armacao along the beach to the bird sanctuary, then round the boardwalk and back onto the beach, or to Gale, and back. The coastal paths give amazing scenery, though past Armacao the cliffs give way to dunes and the walk is less spectacular.

The hotel indoor pool and spa looked good, but I didn't use either so can't comment. The outdoor pool and the grounds were being well maintained despite being little used in February, and there is also a shop which sells basic gifts, snacks, magazines and postcards. Wi-fi is available in the bedrooms - free for the first 24 hours then one euro a day after that. It worked, but required logging in every few minutes so was not great, but holidays should perhaps be email free, anyway!

If I was being ultra-critical I would say the quality of the pillows let the hotel down, but of the four provided in the room, I did find one that sort-of-suited. A minor point, given all the positive features.

Room Tip: Higher rooms have better views.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
9  Thank Ttravellingfan
Reviewed February 8, 2014

Great hotel in perfect location away from the usual noisy hotels. When we arrived the booking company had not booked our room, this was quickly sorted and soon forgotten.
Breakfast was perfect and buffet style with additional option of cooked.
Would recommend the hotel for a get away and a bargain break to escape the English rain.

We traveled from Southend airport and with 2 hour flights, hire car and superior room with see view for 3 nights cost less than a weekend in the lakes!

Sorry Cumbria must try harder.

Room Tip: Rooms are much the same but 0ver 700 will get an uninterrupted sea view.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Dave M
Reviewed February 6, 2014

We stayed at Pestana Viking one night at the end of January. Nice hotel, friendly staff, good breakfast. We did make a note at a rime if booking that double bed is required. We had a room with double bed.

Room Tip: If you fancy pretty view, please book room with sea view
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 29, 2014

OK, the hotel is more like a 4 star BUT when you arrive for a night away with the love of your life, in !my case my newly married wife and you find single beds, are told that there is no one to make them into a double and not one room in a 4 star hotel, not one room with a double bed , well either Pestana is run by nuns or only appeals to.......
Now I am sure any response will say that some people like to sleep in single beds BUT if you do then you would want them separate, wouldn't you? you wouldn't want to wake up with your head touching the other persons and yet these beds are single but have no room to be apart. So here we are with a four star hotel with single beds that don't properly separate but don't allow you cuddle or make love with your love......... the worst of both worlds. Again, they will respond that you only have to ask and the beds will be made up but this is not true if you make a last minute arrival and arrive when housekeeping have gone. All in all staying here was an amazing experience for me as it was the first time in my life that I have slept in single beds separated from a woman. The truth is that she slept with me in the single bed occasionally falling into the crack between the beds....... It would be funny if we were staying at friends but not when your staying at a 4 star Pestana resort.
So if your celebate what does the hotel have on offer. Well don't book a garden view as my garden view was the housing next door and car park. After complaining (about the beds) we were moved to a single beded room with a lovely sea view. The breakfast was confusing as it said it was included but in the room information said you had to pay €1.60 extra for an egg or piece of bacon, as it was I had a very nice breakfast and no extra charge.
The gym is tired, the machines are covered in sweat stains and some of them are rusty; there are only a set of dumbbells as far as resistance training goes. I usually go to a 5* gym nearby which is fantastic with staff and lessons etc. this is just a few old machines stuck in a room. The sauna was nice the indoor pool too.
NOW.... I have serious concerns about the outdoor pool which may be dangerous.... Having used the sauna I thought it would be nice to use the outdoor pool to cool off between sessions. I expected it to be cold and it was, very, no problem but it was a salt solution that tasted awefull and more importantly stung my eyes so badly that not only did it hurt but I couldn't see properly for some minutes. I wanted to use the pool shower to wash my eyes and the 'chemicals' off my body but the showers had been turned off. Now I know people don't use outdoor unheated pools much but I had asked two members of staff who had said it was open. When I mentioned the experience in the pool to a staff member I was told that her eyes hurt with the pool water too. I think that the management needs to double check the pool chemical levels as it is wrong that your eyes should hurt so much. I have talked with an Algarve pool man before and it doesn't give you confidence.
So in conclusion; the staff were fine, sea view nice and the price good. It is the perfec thotel if your unfit and celebrate, but if you are romantically inclined and want to use the gym then there is probably a better hotel around for a couple of euros more.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Mrhurdygurdy
Also consider these accommodations in or near Porches
Vilalara Thalassa Resort
Vila Vita Parc Resort & Spa
Be Live Family Palmeiras Village
Holiday Inn Algarve - Armacao de Pera
Tivoli Carvoeiro
Tivoli Carvoeiro
#5 of 18 in Carvoeiro
Be Smart Terrace Algarve

Been to Pestana Viking? Share your experiences!