All reviews private beach terrace grill tennis courts junior suite garden view suite sea water heated pool spa treatments algarve coast main restaurant bottle of champagne wonderful beach breakfast was excellent rooms are large hotel guests main pool relaxing stay
Reviewed April 23, 2017

Wonderful hotel,beautiful gardens and amazing sea view and great beach.All the staff were a delight,polite and very friendly and couldn't do enough for you.
Food was most excellent and great selection at breakfast,so lovely to eat outside for both breakfast and dinner,weather was glorious to.

Room tip: We had a pool view room,very spacious,clean and comfortable with a large balcony.
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 23, 2017

This place was really incredible. The grounds are tough to match. For those of you who have been to Big Sur, it's a bit like a less dramatic version. The service was on point, the food delicious, and the views incredible. The breakfast is pretty huge. The private beach was really the highlight. Just a heads up for those with mobility issues or traveling with young kids, you may want to book or request a room closer to the beach because it's a long walk down there from the top of the resort. of course, it's also a beautiful walk; we didn't mind a bit!

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 21, 2017 via mobile

We had a room with a porch with an ocean view . The grounds , pools and beach are lush and private . Much more intimate than some of the huge resorts in Algarve . We will be back . A special comment about the charming staff -- everyone from the bellman to wait staff at bar were gracious and warm . We felt well cared for .

Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 18, 2017

Vilalara Resort has incredibly beautiful beach, highly manicured gardens, and big spa. The facilities are really nice. But I had a rather bumpy experience. The service is random, ranging from extremely good to extremely bad. I went for 3 night Longevity Program at Vilalara for the Easter weekend, after seeing a beautiful photo of the Benagil sea cave in Algarve Coast. After some research, I decided to stay at Vilalara for a quiet healthy long weekend. When I arrived at the resort, I got very impressed by the beautiful resort and wonderful reception people. I have been to many spas in California, Arizona, UK, Italy, and Thailand. Naturally I expect a quiet surroundings. But it was the Easter weekend. The restaurant was full of families with new born crying babies. The babies were screaming on top of their lungs. No matter how good the food was, it was difficult to enjoy. I quickly learned to avoid the pool area, which was full of kids. The guests are the resort seemed to be all well dressed, and good looking, much better dressed than the Americans. I quickly regretted that I did not bring better cloth in order to fit in. The restaurant served the "diet" version of food. I suddenly realized I might be the only person who was doing to diet food. I looked at my clear soup and vegetables. I needed all of my will power to not to be bothered with other guests enjoying great meals with delicious wine. Eventually I was glad that I did the longevity program: (1) no need to worry about order food (2) no wine (3) the food was good quality (4) I certainly did not gain weight. The longevity program also included multiple spa services, unfortunately mostly done by machines with sea water. I would much prefer human touch of a traditional massage rather than being splashed by sea water. But it was OK to try something new. The exercise program was not impressive as most of guests were not eager to work out in the gym. The class was rather easy. It was not as hard core health program as other detox centres. It is more a hotel for rich Portuguese families. The service level was rather extreme on both side: The reception and restaurant staff were great. They made tremendous effort to care for my need. However, I was extremely frustrated with the DiveSpot. As I was very eager to see the natural wonder of Benagil cave, I went to DiveSpot when I arrived. The young man told me it was impossible to hire a boat to see the cave due to weather on Friday. Might be OK for Saturday. So I returned on second day. He told me it was "private" boat tour for a family and suggested I could do the cliff walk on Sunday. So I moved my spa schedule to do the cliff walk. When I returned to Divespot, he told me the cliff walk was also "private" for the head chef's family. I asked if possible for Monday, then everything was "impossible". My frustration got sky high. I was not familiar with Portugal or Algarve Coast. I had to spend a few hours on iphone to find out a boat company called Taruga Benagil Tours that was happy to provide boat service to see the cave every half an hour at a price of €20 for 1 hour of viewing 20 caves. The boat tour was in Benagil, only 15 minutes drive from the resort. So I booked a taxi to join the boat tour at 9:30 am on Easter day. It was such a wonderful experience, especially a blessing for a person like me who spent most of years to see the skyscrapers in New York City. The Benagil sea cave was a fantastic sight. The taxi driver was called Daniel. He was much more helpful than Divespot. I asked him to show me beautiful beach areas nearby. He drove me around to show me the incredibly beautiful beaches such as Priaia da Marinha, Pria do Carvalho. He charges only €35 for an hour. Well, the Divespot probably should put a sign such as "unless you do private tour, then don't bother me". It will be much easier for both sides as they certainly not interested to serve solo travellers. So I will do my independent excursion rather than wasting time to be on the waiting list. My room was nice. Unfortunately the bathroom was flooded by the shower. They tried to fix it. It was a minor issue. I learned to use the bath tub mostly rather than changing room. Overall, it was a strange experience, a combination of extremely good and extreme frustration.

Room tip: Get a top floor. I was at the bottom floor and could hear upstairs steps and TV!
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
3  Thank LWB888
Reviewed April 16, 2017 via mobile

The resort
Stayed late March 2017 in one of the pool view rooms. Superb room, facilities, location and above all, service. All the staff are impeccable in their manners, friendliness and attentiveness without being overbearing. Nothing seems to be too much trouble. It's the small touches in human contact that can make such a big difference. The management and staff obviously understand that well. Wonderfully relaxing long weekend that felt like much longer.

Date of stay: March 2017