“Health Warning!!! Beware! (unless you plan to simply drink and like 1970's food)”

Hotel Centro Turistico Gardesano
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Bussolengo
Reviewed July 13, 2013

Sorry David have to disagree!!

Let's be as honest as possible here:

* Environment:
It is very dated, inside and out. Corridors have peeling walllpaper, smells etc. Basically they have 4 blocks A-D. Only B and some of A are for public, The rest are for 'students' - all ages in large buses. A and B face pool/ back. If facing pool very noisey. We were in B and at bottom of exit was dried vomit (delightful)! All around are fag ends (I appreciate Italians smoke more). From overhearing some conversations - it is clear that some younger people come to fall out of bed, drink, burn in sun, drink and fall into bed (hence vomit!)
*Pool:
Like many trippers - booked this for our 11 year old son between Lake Maggiore and Venice. The pool is big, clean but dated. can stand in all of it which is good. BUT be aware that at hot weekends all the locals visit and can be very busy!! If cloudy you'll be fine. The bar is owned separate to the hotel so they have no idea what is happening. But Vincent who owns bar is great and bar is good. When there are lots of people in they will run events eg a disco in the pool area with bright lights that shine all night in your room, and goes til 1am (as my man said it was a little like being in guantanomo bay!
* Room(s):
We had booked a room for Saturday night through WOTIF but got dates wrong so asked if we could get one for Friday night. I believe we therefore got worse room left! Room number 237B - BEWARE! Shower broken, air con broken (very old noisey big unit above door), facing disco and lights, peeling wall paper, parts of wall missing, bash in door - you get the picture! Then son threw up all night - oh Bliss!! Had to have door open or would have died of heat!

I went to complain to reception - asked to see a Manager on Sat morning. Basically no Manager - maybe in pm (Saturday). She tried very hard, bless her - and gave us a reduced fee! I got the sense she had many complaints generally and that the owners did sweet F.A. Had to stay second night as Wi-Fi too bad to locate another place. Saw this room before accepting it -.225B. It is the same decor, they're very small, old but at least shower/ air con working and faces back.

Food:
We came to Italy to enjoy pucker italian cuisine and yes good food is important to us. If it's not important to you don't bother reading rest! The first night included evening meal. This is a starter of 3 pastas. We each tried one - they taste like a packet ones - least italian pasta I've ever had. Then there is a buffet. this was disgusting! No other words. Tough, cold when should be hot, tasteless, greasy and not authentic eg slimey artificial mozzorella. My son tried each of the desserts for us - tiramisu - tasteless, chocolate blancmagne and creme caramel - as if made with powder and all served in large metal containers cut up like school dinners! He had one mouthful of each and he likes sugar/ sweet! Then threw up all night - could be bug or not.......... I ended up on a liquid diet of a large bottle of Prosecco to drown sorrows - now that was good! My man said he was sure the chef was from an old eastern european prison.

So I suspect if you time it right and either avoid evening meal or don't mind 1970's english bad food, it could be OK! And to be fair it is cheap!

Personally I would like to tell everyone NOT to come here so they will have to start doing something to improve it......... And they have the nerve to ask everyone to promote them on social media on their leaflets! Seriously, on driving round the area (which is beautiful) there are some lovely hotels that may not be on websites.

Phew! Glad I got that off my chest!!

Room Tip: Avoid 237B. Otherwise take a room at your own risk!!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank PennyHAuckland

Reviewed June 28, 2013

I read other reviews of this place before we went there with a party of sixth-formers on a tour with the college choir. It was not as bad as I expected.

Good points.

- The restaurant was fair. The food was all quite acceptable and, while not first-class, was all edible. The breakfasts include 'continental', German (käse und schinken) or a sort of English breakfast, i.e. scrambled egg. Also cereals and breads and cakes; the coffee is OK. Lunch and dinner consist of a first course of pasta and then self-service main course and dessert, all reasonable quality.

- The staff are quite helpful. The hotel were quite good about us rehearsing.

- There is a bar next to the swimming pool. The teenagers had a good time in the pool.

Less good points:

- The whole place seems to be in need of refurbishment. The air-conditioning all seems to drip condensation. In the restaurant we thought there was a leak from a room above us as there was water pouring out of the ceiling but we were told it was condensation from the air-con.

- In our room there was only one power source. I need mains electricity for my breathing machine next to the bed, plus we had two telephones to charge. There was piece of flex coming out of a hole in the wall with a single socket on the end, which seemed to be the TV power source. Years of experience have taught me to take an extension lead.

- The air-conditioning unit in our room was not very energetic, though others in our party said theirs was OK

- The bathroom looked as though it was past its best. There was a radiator which was leaking. The shower head was leaking so if you turned it up to full pressure it sprayed out above the shower cabinet sides. Also the shower cabinet was so tiny that every time I breathed my stomach switched the water flow off. There was not enough room to bend down to wash legs properly - slightly like trying to take a shower in a coffin.

- Hotel is not in the town, but about a mile outside, so don't go there if you were expecting to pop into the town for a drink. Also don't depend on the local taxi drivers for timing. We ordered a taxi for 9:45 to go to 10am mass in the parish church in Bussolengo, and it turned up at about 10:10.

Altogether, I have stayed in worse places

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 9, 2013

hotel complex is located basically far away from everything. although it is recently renovated, hotel is best to avoid.
hotel rooms are unequipped, furniture is IKEA style, TV is 11 inch, most of hotel smells like kindergarten food, wallpapers are already messy, bathrooms are small and well damaged, towels are basically kitchen rags, mostly school kids stay in this hotel, so level of noise is beyond imagination. breakfast is buffet style, and to be honest, better than expected.
it would be for the best to avoid this hotel, and find better solution

Room Tip: take a moment, make a silent pray before entering reception, maybe God will have mercy and give you...
Reviewed June 1, 2013

I was hoping the reviews were exaggerated but NO THEY ARE TRUE! Dirty, aged, unsanitary, loud mobbish school parties, disco under the bedrooms until late hours run by the bar staff. Completely unsympathetic and disinterested staff. Food passable, but cheap.

In beautiful surroundings but let down by lack of cleaning, poor hygiene and terrible customer service!

Room Tip: They are all terrible
Reviewed May 25, 2013

After using this hotel for 4 years, I have never found this hotel to be anything like what people are saying about the negative comments. Rooms are suitable for trip, the area we stayed in had been upgraded since last year which was pleasing to see. The food is buffet style and there was an abundance of food for every meal! The dining room is spacious and staff v helpful. The pool needed a little clean but was ok to use. The surroundings are stunning. Never had a bad time in 4 years. We stayed in c block. Will use again, no issues.

• Stayed: May 2013
2  Thank Manxregular
Reviewed May 19, 2013

We stayd in hotel one night as our trio to Gardaland. We had dinner and breakfast.Our room was extra clean, nice, fresh sheets, clean bathroom, on the first floor. Dinner was amazing, first Italian pasta, then buffet. Everything was very tasy. Breakfast was also good, if you arn'e looking for someting super extra. I would definitely return there. The pool I din't use, bus it wasn't clean, maybe summer season didn't begun, but I don't know.

2  Thank jotajo
Reviewed May 8, 2013

So, I went to this hotel as part of a school trip. It looks lovely on the website but it was a whole different story once we got there. I got into the room and I needed to go to the toilet so I pulled up the toilet seat and what did I find a big hair on it. That is just disgusting. And, don't get me started on the food, the dinner was a buffet dinner and they served you two kinds of pasta as your starter. The sauce was meant to be a cheese sauce but it turned out to be a mushroom sauce that nobody liked. There was also a tomato sauce on the pasta, that was ok but had a bad after taste. Then came the buffet, there was nothing but vegetables and one type of meat. They didn't have a sign up saying what the food was so nobody knew what the dishes consisted off. Nobody ate the food all we could eat was stale breadrolls ! They didn't even have pizza which was very disappointing. We were also told that we would be able to swim in the swimming pool which was such a disgrace. The pool had little insects living in it and green mould at the bottom as it was not cleaned in 7 months, now you could imagine the state of it ! We also had to get security on our floor at all times during the night as there were boys outside our rooms wanting to know our details and being over nice to us. Also I should tell you all that the bed sheets we damp and we could not sleep in them as we were afraid we would get sick because of it. It is the most disgraceful, disgusting, most unsanitary and most unsafe hotel I have ever been to in all my years of going on holidays. This hotel should not be 3 star it should barely be 1 star. For anyone that is thinking about booking this hotel please take this into consideration as it is definitely not worth the money. It has to be the worst hotel I have stayed in. Never stepping near that hotel again. Please avoid this hotel for your own benefit it is an absolute joke of a hotel.

2  Thank sarah b
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bussolengo
Hotel Krystal
Hotel Castello San Antonio
Poiano Resort Hotel
Poiano Resort Hotel
#13 of 49 in Garda

Been to Hotel Centro Turistico Gardesano? Share your experiences!