“Our favourite stop in Chianti.”
Review of Tenuta Il Corno

Tenuta Il Corno
Reviewed January 13, 2013

We have spent a fair bit of time in this part of Italy and have rarely had a bad experience. Pretty much everywhere you stay, the atmosphere is warm and relaxed. The food and wine are usually top drawer, and the weather is a beautiful finishing touch.

What set Tenuta il Corno apart for us wasn't anything "out of this world" in particular, but rather the seamless coming together of all the small details and experiences that make a stay so special and memorable.

Ironically, we had no intention of staying at Tenuta. We were driving from another agriturismo to the south, heading towards Florence. We had a bit of time on our hands and took the scenic route as it were, even though pretty much all routes around here are scenic, and happened to drive past this place. Don't know why, but we both looked at each other and wanted to turn around and pop in and have a look, so we did. It was about 11.00am so we werent too confident if they would even be open, but open they were. We walked into the reception area which doubles up as their on site shop and were greeted by a very friendly receptionist. The restaurant area appeared to be closed between breakfast and lunch. Tentatively, we enquired about maybe having a coffee and looking around, on which the receptionist warmly invited us in and then ran off and came back a few minutes later with 2 of the nicest cups of coffee we ever had! How did that happen? My fiancee and I are both self confessed coffeeholics and one of our main critisisms, even in Italy, is that the coffee can be a bit hit and miss. Another bemused look at each other followed, and we both knew there and then that we would simply have to come back and stay here proper!

Sure enough, we returned a couple of days later and checked in for a night. The same friendly lady booked us in and showed us to our room. It was spacious and clean, with a kitchenette and a massive bathroom, which to our delight, had a sizeable bathtub. As for the views, well, if you like the traditional Tuscan landscape that we all dream of, then you have it here in every direction as far as the eye can see! Perfect!

We spent a bit of time by the pool which was nice and clean. Our only criticism here was that the loungers weren't the most comfortable in the world, but maybe we are being a bit precious. In the evening we made our way to the restaurant, which is beautifully designed and had that lovely atmosphere where you feel relaxed and at ease. The food was reasonably priced and delicious. As for the wine....well....excellent! Suffice to say we filled the boot of our car with their wine on departure! What I also liked was that locals came to eat here as well, a good sign in my book!

Service: I found a lot of amusement in our waiter. He didn't really speak any english and our italian is pretty poor. What followed was a mixture of arm waving, pointing at the dishes on the menu, and broken italian. My partner got the giggles as a result (like a said, the wine is good!) but the waiter and I were so busy trying to get the order right, we both took a bit of offence towards her childish behaviour! I saw the funny side of it later but I don't think the waiter did, and he always approached our table with obvious trepidation thereafter.

We ended up extending twice and staying at Tenuta il Corno for 3 lazy, relaxing days and enjoyed every minute of it! If you want 5 star luxury then this place is not it, but if you want a more genuine, rustic experience with great wine, great food and great coffee, then give this place a try!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 29, 2012

We have visited Il Corno many times. We love everything there, exceptional site, staff, rooms, beds, best Tuscan food one can get and of course their own oil and wines! Also children love it. Many superb places within an hour's drive.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 22, 2012

We spent three days at this country estate, enjoyed the beauty of the grounds and the surrounding area. We especially enjoyed the staff, especially Ronnie who made us feel like we were old friends coming for a visit. The apartment was spacious, the restaurant was excellent, and the wine was fabulous.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 16, 2012

Well situated in close proximity to Florence. The views are fantastic. The atmosphere is relaxed and very restful. The pool was a welcomed delight as the temperatures were in the high 90's -100. Our apartment was comfortable and the bathroom was the largest we used on our trip. There is no air conditioning but there were fans which provided some relief from the heat.(did I mention it was in the high 90's - 100's) A bottle of chianti was supplied with our room. It was one of our favorite wines in the area.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 25, 2012

Strange place, Į read some review ans seems that the same thing happened to other people. First Wine comparing to the price is very poor taste, we ordered a bisteca fiorentina of 1,6 kg they showed us that piece of meat but on the bill they counted 2,2 kg without any prior notice. The stake was little bit overcooked. Potatoe frie cost 21 euro one small portion. Then we saw a bill written by hand we asked for a bill (richevuta fiscale) but the waiter didnt bring it and was waiting us to leave, so we asked second time with angry voice, after that we got richevuta fiscale not clear if it is official one and anyway the waiter didnt bring us a change 7 euros. Seems that they dont want to see you any more.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
7  Thank Ignas R
Reviewed June 22, 2012

The location, views and restaurant apierence is really nice. What we did not like was the "stupid foreigner" treatment. We have beet in Italy for many times and we have visited many places, so we have what to compare. Everything was more or less ok considering very awerage vines and meals and the fact that they did not bring any vegetables to the steak, until we got the bill with the numbers a litle bit out of logic 21eur for fries, 12 eur for some cockies, stake 2,5 kg insted of 1,6 kg, and the waiter did not bring us a change... They needed to do so litle extra not to makes us unhappy but it seems tha nobody is interested to have same client for the second time.

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank Laimonas
Giulietta66, Proprietario at Tenuta Il Corno, responded to this reviewResponded July 19, 2012

Dear Guests It is always unpleasant to read rewiews as yours, first of all because we cannot reply on time and in a constructive manner.
I thought for a long time what could have caused this situation and after having checked with attention the documents and spoken with my staff, I suppose that the main problem is" the communication".
In our guesthouse, where we have mainly foreign guests, we speak only English and German naturally Italian and Spanish , but Lithuanian not yet.
May be our explanations have not been received in the right way; but we are able to explain a little better now......
You ordered the bistecca alla fiorentina for 6 persons and I prepared two steaks: one about 1,600 kilos and the other about 1,00. I showed you only one, thinking in order to show you kind of meat and also the size available.
At the end of your dinner, we showed you a hand written list of the items you requested. As you did not make any questions or claim, we made the regular bill (ricevuta fiscale n.99/12 of 20/06/2012) only for the total amount of the dinner. Regarding the wine, you choose our top wine for which we are famous all over the world: our pure 100% colorino grapes, which is not our young and fresh Chianti wine and is very expensive.
From our point of view everything is normal however we are happy to investigate a little further in order to allieviate your concerns about your dining experience here at Corno di Vino.
If we find a mistake we will refund you the difference.We are sure now everything is ok. We remain at your disposal for any further clearance,
Regards from Tenuta il Corno
Maria Giulia Frova

Reviewed November 4, 2011

Tenuta il Corno is considered an Agritourismo, which is sort of a cross between a B&B and a working farm or ranch. In this case, a vineyard. It is more of an apartment than a "hotel" and at night, I'm not sure there was even any staff on the premises. Not that this was ever a problem, I just want to adjust your expectations if you are considering staying here ... and you SHOULD!

Our apartment was spacious, had a small kitchen that we didn't use and a very spacious bathroom. It was clean and cozy and with it's open beam ceiling, had a wonderful charm. I did have a problem with bumping my head on one of those rafters ... but a strategically placed chair fixed that issue. :)

I thought that the breakfast buffet had ample choices but the highlight was that morning cup of cappuccino out on the veranda! By the second morning the staff knew me and was ready to get me my cappuccino ! I had a lot of good coffee in Italy but this place gets my vote for the BEST cappuccino.

We ate in the restaurant on 2 occasions and both meals were absolutely excellent. One evening the owner was there and she was taking the time to chat with all of the dinner guests.
For that mater, all of the staff was extremely cheerful and helpful.
On checking in (we arrived just before sunset) they actually greeted us with a glass of wine and a plate of bruschetta on the veranda. It was a lovely touch that really set the mood for our stay.

I will also mention that their Chianti Classico was my favorite of the trip (and I made a point to try different Chianti every chance I got) and interestingly enough, it was also the best priced.

The grounds are wonderful to wander through, (on one evening walk, my wife came across wild pheasant!) and the views are stunning.

Location wise, we found it very convenient for visiting all over the Tuscan hills and even driving to a cooking class on the edge of Florence. Florence itself is an easy drive of maybe 30 minutes. Actually trying to drive INTO Florence to return the rental car was a bit of a pain though.

Note: If you are considering staying here I have to assume you ARE planning to hire a car. As someone who had never been to Italy before (much less driven there) I can tell you that it IS challenging but VERY do-able. You just need to be confident, watch for the speed cameras and have printed out maps AND directions before first heading out. I didn't use a GPS but I suspect that would have helped. What helped me the MOST was that I used google to map my route and then I zoomed into "street view" and then virtually drove my intended routes before I ever left home. Being able to actual SEE what a complicated intersection was going to look like before I ever got to them, kept me on the right track on several occasions!

Room Tip: Our room was at the end of the hall above the kitchen so there was some noise. If you are a light sl...