“Tuscany at it's best”

Tenuta il Corno
Rochester, New York
“Tuscany at it's best”
Reviewed July 16, 2012

Well situated in close proximity to Florence. The views are fantastic. The atmosphere is relaxed and very restful. The pool was a welcomed delight as the temperatures were in the high 90's -100. Our apartment was comfortable and the bathroom was the largest we used on our trip. There is no air conditioning but there were fans which provided some relief from the heat.(did I mention it was in the high 90's - 100's) A bottle of chianti was supplied with our room. It was one of our favorite wines in the area.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Serbian first
Vilnius, Lithuania
Reviewed June 25, 2012

Strange place, Į read some review ans seems that the same thing happened to other people. First Wine comparing to the price is very poor taste, we ordered a bisteca fiorentina of 1,6 kg they showed us that piece of meat but on the bill they counted 2,2 kg without any prior notice. The stake was little bit overcooked. Potatoe frie cost 21 euro one small portion. Then we saw a bill written by hand we asked for a bill (richevuta fiscale) but the waiter didnt bring it and was waiting us to leave, so we asked second time with angry voice, after that we got richevuta fiscale not clear if it is official one and anyway the waiter didnt bring us a change 7 euros. Seems that they dont want to see you any more.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
6 Thank Ignas R
Reviewed June 22, 2012

The location, views and restaurant apierence is really nice. What we did not like was the "stupid foreigner" treatment. We have beet in Italy for many times and we have visited many places, so we have what to compare. Everything was more or less ok considering very awerage vines and meals and the fact that they did not bring any vegetables to the steak, until we got the bill with the numbers a litle bit out of logic 21eur for fries, 12 eur for some cockies, stake 2,5 kg insted of 1,6 kg, and the waiter did not bring us a change... They needed to do so litle extra not to makes us unhappy but it seems tha nobody is interested to have same client for the second time.

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank Laimonas
Giulietta66, Proprietario at Tenuta il Corno, responded to this review, July 19, 2012
Dear Guests It is always unpleasant to read rewiews as yours, first of all because we cannot reply on time and in a constructive manner.
I thought for a long time what could have caused this situation and after having checked with attention the documents and spoken with my staff, I suppose that the main problem is" the communication".
In our guesthouse, where we have mainly foreign guests, we speak only English and German naturally Italian and Spanish , but Lithuanian not yet.
May be our explanations have not been received in the right way; but we are able to explain a little better now......
You ordered the bistecca alla fiorentina for 6 persons and I prepared two steaks: one about 1,600 kilos and the other about 1,00. I showed you only one, thinking in order to show you kind of meat and also the size available.
At the end of your dinner, we showed you a hand written list of the items you requested. As you did not make any questions or claim, we made the regular bill (ricevuta fiscale n.99/12 of 20/06/2012) only for the total amount of the dinner. Regarding the wine, you choose our top wine for which we are famous all over the world: our pure 100% colorino grapes, which is not our young and fresh Chianti wine and is very expensive.
From our point of view everything is normal however we are happy to investigate a little further in order to allieviate your concerns about your dining experience here at Corno di Vino.
If we find a mistake we will refund you the difference.We are sure now everything is ok. We remain at your disposal for any further clearance,
Regards from Tenuta il Corno
Maria Giulia Frova
Huntsville
Reviewed November 4, 2011

Tenuta il Corno is considered an Agritourismo, which is sort of a cross between a B&B and a working farm or ranch. In this case, a vineyard. It is more of an apartment than a "hotel" and at night, I'm not sure there was even any staff on the premises. Not that this was ever a problem, I just want to adjust your expectations if you are considering staying here ... and you SHOULD!

Our apartment was spacious, had a small kitchen that we didn't use and a very spacious bathroom. It was clean and cozy and with it's open beam ceiling, had a wonderful charm. I did have a problem with bumping my head on one of those rafters ... but a strategically placed chair fixed that issue. :)

I thought that the breakfast buffet had ample choices but the highlight was that morning cup of cappuccino out on the veranda! By the second morning the staff knew me and was ready to get me my cappuccino ! I had a lot of good coffee in Italy but this place gets my vote for the BEST cappuccino.

We ate in the restaurant on 2 occasions and both meals were absolutely excellent. One evening the owner was there and she was taking the time to chat with all of the dinner guests.
For that mater, all of the staff was extremely cheerful and helpful.
On checking in (we arrived just before sunset) they actually greeted us with a glass of wine and a plate of bruschetta on the veranda. It was a lovely touch that really set the mood for our stay.

I will also mention that their Chianti Classico was my favorite of the trip (and I made a point to try different Chianti every chance I got) and interestingly enough, it was also the best priced.

The grounds are wonderful to wander through, (on one evening walk, my wife came across wild pheasant!) and the views are stunning.

Location wise, we found it very convenient for visiting all over the Tuscan hills and even driving to a cooking class on the edge of Florence. Florence itself is an easy drive of maybe 30 minutes. Actually trying to drive INTO Florence to return the rental car was a bit of a pain though.

Note: If you are considering staying here I have to assume you ARE planning to hire a car. As someone who had never been to Italy before (much less driven there) I can tell you that it IS challenging but VERY do-able. You just need to be confident, watch for the speed cameras and have printed out maps AND directions before first heading out. I didn't use a GPS but I suspect that would have helped. What helped me the MOST was that I used google to map my route and then I zoomed into "street view" and then virtually drove my intended routes before I ever left home. Being able to actual SEE what a complicated intersection was going to look like before I ever got to them, kept me on the right track on several occasions!

Room Tip: Our room was at the end of the hall above the kitchen so there was some noise. If you are a light sl...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank LFFG
Reviewed October 1, 2011

Staff was friendly, helpful, responsive. House wine was excellent, good value.owner very gregarious. Family atmosphere. Nice views. In countryside adjacent to small "castle". Near several others. Buffet good variety for breakfast. goop dinner menu.

• Stayed September 2011
3 Thank Gratzie61
Bowen Island, Canada
Reviewed May 15, 2011

I came upon this lovely place by accident, when I was lost in the Tuscan hills. I walked in and asked if they had lodging and was shown (by luck) the most beautiful apartment, which I readily booked for the two days it was available. I would return in a heartbeat and highly recommend searching it out. The bathroom attached was spacious, with a lovely soaker tub, and all the large rooms looked out on the property and pool, with shuttered windows that could be securely and darkly closed to sleep in, or open to the fresh air and sunshine. The grounds are stunning and fun to explore, accompanied by resident cats of character, and of which there are many. Reserving for dinner is brilliant, and spend a relaxed evening enjoying the local offerings prepared to order by a gifted chef of the family in a lovely dining room, (where a delicious varied breakfast is served as well). Tasting the local wines alongside was heavenly, though I wish I had had company to share the large portions and multiple courses. I guess I'll just have to revisit to continue the adventure. The king size bed was comfortable and the dining/living room and bedroom very well appointed and large. There was also an attached kitchen to prepare meals in if desired. I filled my suitcase with wine and olive oil to extend my happy memories of this place, at home in Canada.

Room Tip: ask for an apartment in the reception building
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank barkhat
New York, USA
Reviewed July 29, 2010

Our family of five stayed here early this month for four nights while we toured the surrounding Tuscan countryside and Florence. Our apartment consisted of two very large bedrooms with two large bathrooms and an adjoining small kitchen. Ceilings are very high and the rooms remained cool despite the heat of an Italian summer. We did not miss A/C at all. One room had a large king sized bed, the second was equipped with bunk beds and a king sized bed as well.
The kitchen was small and sparsely stocked but we managed to cook several meals there which we ate outside on a lovely shaded patio with views of the surrounding countryside.
The pool is large and clean, surrounded by olive trees and the same glorious scenery as the patio. Several afternoons we had the whole place to ourselves.
Breakfast is included in the rates and we enjoyed ours on the terrace. It was hearty with fruit, coffee/tea, breads, cheeses and cold meats.
There is a lovely restaurant on the grounds that did not seem to always be open, but when it is, it is certainly worth having a meal there. The short menu includes many local dishes all well prepared and delicious. We sampled some of the farm's own wines as well which were serviceable and enjoyable.
The staff were very helpful and generous. The grounds and rooms are very well maintained, clean and comfortable.
A note on directions, this was not an easy place to find (also my fault not having a detailed map of Tuscany). Be sure to have good directions before hand. It is also closer to the town of San Pancrazio (rather than San Casciano).
All in all a delightful place to stay that we heartily recommend.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Villa Talente
Villa Talente
#6 of 32 in San Casciano in Val di Pesa
Salvadonica - Borgo Agrituristico del Chianti
Salvadonica - Borgo Agrituristic...
#1 of 19 in San Casciano in Val di Pesa
Relais Poggio Borgoni
Relais Poggio Borgoni
#2 of 19 in San Casciano in Val di Pesa

Been to Tenuta il Corno? Share your experiences!