“Very disapointed”

La Fonte del Machiavelli
Reviewed April 26, 2013

Hi! I am a Machiavelli scholar and planned a stay at his former villa as part of my holiday to Europe. I booked for three nights accommodation (25-27 April 2013) via the property's website. As instructed I also payed a 15€ deposit. I made this booking in early December 2012 and the planned other activities around this stay. Since the booking I have been in touch with La Fonte del Machiavelli at least twice by e-mail and understood all was fine.

Imagine my surprise and annoyance when I and my wife arrived and were told not only we didn't they have a booking but had never heard of me.

I showed the owner the booking confirmation from his website. He then said "...but you have to pay the 15€ booking fee; no fee no booking". So then I showed him the receipt notice from having paid the booking fee. At this point he no longer spoke or understood English. He just babbled in Italian offering me one night but not the three nights I had booked.

I have been so looking forward to staying at La Fonte del Machiavelli - "sleeping in Machiavelli's bed" I told my friends. This is simply appalling.

So I cannot comment on our stay at La Fonte del Machiavelli because we never got to stay there. Be careful booking this establishment!

Room Tip: Check your booking, double check, and then check several more times.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
fontedelmachiavelli, Proprietario at La Fonte del Machiavelli, responded to this reviewResponded April 27, 2013

Good evening, we have seen that by controlling the customer was right I can not say otherwise, the thing I was stunned behavior is somewhat unusual in that I gave him the availability of a night to fix the problem, I would have found a way to do so remain for the other two days, it's true my English is not excellent but I politely tried to explain, the Lord is a student of Machiavelli, I realize that I had the desire to sleep in one of his houses, perhaps taken from the anger is acted badly, telling me to consult with his wife is mounted in the car and is left without giving me a chance to explain further, we try to do our best but the mistakes can happen, so it is always advisable when you book directly to send emails asking for confirmation of the booking, I apologize again with Mr. Peter J Anderson if we can do something for the inconvenience we are available.

Reviewed April 20, 2013

My mum and I stayed at La Fonte del Machiavelli for 3 nights. We were very happy to stay at a B&B at the countryside, so that we could relax after busy days in Florence and San Gimignano. The property is very beautiful and Simone is a very nice host. Unfortunately we don't speak any italian and although he tries his best with english we sometimes had troubles communicating. This was not a real problem as we could see he really intended to help us find the easiest way to Florence or a good restaurant to eat... and in the end, we found all of it. We went to florence from Tavernuzze, the bus goes every 20 minutes and parking there is free. We found it vary convenient.
Breakfast was very nice. Simone even got me all kinds of gluten free crackers, biscuits, and bread. We would recommend staying there, but keep in mind that there are not many restaurants in walking distance.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
fontedelmachiavelli, Proprietario at La Fonte del Machiavelli, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2013

Good evening, thanks for your review, I'm glad you enjoyed the B & B La Fonte del Machiavelli.
Simone

Reviewed October 10, 2012

We stayed here for three nights and really appreciated the quiet of a countryside B & B at the end of a busy day touring. The rooms were clean/comfortable and we appreciated the character of the building and surroundings. You do have to drive a short distance to restaurants, but we found that going to the local market or grocery store in town and buying local delicacies to eat on the deck overlooking the beautiful Tuscan vineyards was very enjoyable. We took this opportunity to chat with other guests from all over the world. Simone was very helpful in recommending transportation tips for going to Florence by local bus. The breakfast was wonderful with a wide variety of fresh and hot foods. Simone whipped up eggs, bacon, and fresh coffee. He was very hospitable and went out of his way to meet our needs. We found this was a good location tomuse as a home base to travel to many tuscan cities. We would recommend this B & B.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
fontedelmachiavelli, Proprietario at La Fonte del Machiavelli, responded to this reviewResponded October 12, 2012

Good evening, thanks for the review that we have done, we are happy to know that you have spent some happy moments in the B & B La Fonte del Machiavelli.

Reviewed September 25, 2012

We really wanted to go there after seeing the pictures on websites, we actually booked and checked in. When we started unpacking, the kids went to the swimming pool but hey came back in 5 minutes because the water was extremely cold... In these 5 minutes we realized that the discomfort we were feeling was not from the long drive, but the humidity and smell in the rooms. It seems these windows were not opened for months... Same thing in the bathrooms: sticky tiles, strange smell. The wireless was working in one room only, so we used a 3G modem to just cancel and leave... We stayed a total of 1 hour.
The only excellent thing about this place is the scenery: it makes up for everything, but only if you want to stay for 2-3 days. We booked for 7 days and it would have been too much...

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms upstairs...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
fontedelmachiavelli, Proprietario at La Fonte del Machiavelli, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2012

Good evening, La Fonte del Machiavelli is a B & B realized after four years of restoration, the house belonged to Niccolò Machiavelli of 1400, the smell that you feel is the old beams polished with wax, for those who choose to come to a converted Tuscan farmhouse is a What appreciated, among other things, is explained on the site internet.la swimming pool had a temperature of 28 degrees,no comment.I'm sorry not to be able to do appreciate the particularity of our B & B.

Reviewed September 4, 2012

This is a very beautiful place to stay near Florence. Located in a rathere rural region, featured by marvelous views of grape-yards.
Bit hard to find to arrive in the late evening. But it really deserves it.
Fantastic warm and responding Personel - thank you

Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed August 17, 2012

We arrived with our friends to find this charming B&B nestled in a beautiful valley surrounded by "Classico Chianti" vineyards. The view were majestic in this historically significant property. The breakfasts on the veranda were breathtaking with the views. The pool was very refreshing in the heat of the day. The staff was incredibly helpful and friendly. We spent 3 nights there and what really made it special was the owner, Simone, was ready to help at a moments notice. The restaurants he recommended, particularly the one 1 minute from the property turned out to be the best of our stay in Europe. I highly recommend spending a few days (or maybe a few weeks) in this beautiful little corner in Tuscany.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Steve C
Reviewed July 3, 2012

If you want a quiet relaxing retreat to recharge your batteries, this is the place to stay. Although a little difficult to find (Simone kindly drove out to meet us after we had found ourselves lost) and down a steep unmade track. The views from the terrace and rooms are outstanding and out of this world. The swimming pool was a welcome relief after a day in Florence and so relaxing. Breakfast is taken in the Italian sun on the terrace and was very substantial including both hot and continental breakfasts with plenty of coffee, juices, yoghurt and much more. We also sat there in the evening with a bottle of wine relaxing after our sightseeing listening to various birds and other animals calling to each other. The local town was lovely to visit and has a variety of restaurants , bars and pizzerias which were excellent and very reasonable. One tip is to make a note of where to turn off on your return if it is dark, as we went past for a few miles before we realised. Simone was very attentive and helpful. We have recommended La Fonte del Macchievelli to our friends. It is thanks to Trip Advisor that we found this gem and loved all the history of it in connection with Macchievelli.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family