“Understated elegance accompanied by exquisite views and first class service”
Review of Borgo Santo Pietro

Borgo Santo Pietro
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Chiusdino
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Understated elegance accompanied by exquisite views and first class service”
Reviewed July 29, 2010

I stayed here with my sister (with whom I shared a room) and mother during a trip to Tuscany for the wedding of my cousin, which took place in the nearby medieval Citta di Cortona. The Borgo Santo Pietro is visually stunning, lush with foliage and flowers (the aroma of lavender was especially calming) and super clean rooms filled with rustic but well-maintained furniture and modern appliances. The villa is removed enough from the city of Cortona to afford absolute serenity and spectacular views (and nice walking paths), yet close enough to have access within five minutes to the center of town. Following a lengthy trip from the U.S. we were greeted by a charming staff ready to assist with any need. Unobtrusive and helpful, offering directions and recommendations at the drop of a hat, each staff member was a delight.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Elst
Reviewed June 25, 2010

What a divine place! We visited the Borgo Santo Pietro for the first time last year and we recently returned from our second stay at this oasis of relaxation and beauty. What a remarkable property and how lovely the staff!
There have been a few changes since last time we were there, but all positive and the results are just as beautiful – 3 new suites in an annex building next to the main villa, a second entrance to the estate with an impressive set of columns and statues and a new green belt, a new chef – his desserts are simply irresistible, and a new spa therapist – Tracey, who we wanted to take home with us!
This review is a belated thank you to the staff, who so elegantly moved around the estate with such grace and refinement, making us feel so welcome, so cared for and so relaxed! It was just what we needed after a really stressful few months back in Holland.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
Ft. Worth, Texas
Reviewed November 28, 2009

I had very high expectations when I arrived, yet the Borgo Santo Pietro left me breathless. This is the place you dream about - I think I counted at least 10 fireplaces indoors and several more outdoors.

I went to sleep next to a warm fireplace every evening and woke up with Tuscan sunshine on my bed every morning. I literally can not express how magical this place is...the gardens, the food, the wine, the view, the staff.

I've stayed at a few fine hotels here and there and the Ritz Carlton could take lessons from this place, the Four Seasons is not even in the same ballpark. As luxurious as everything is, it remains intimate and warm and you will find it hard to leave.

The Borgo Santo Pietro is the quintessential Tuscan fantasy, and I can not wait to return.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled solo
Lausanne
Reviewed November 26, 2009

We stayed for a short week in the Borgo as part of our Honeymoon and really enjoyed every moment (including the thunderstorm during which the power supply got cut and the whole place was lit with candles!). So to summarize:

Pros:
- superb rooms
- great service
- fantastic breakfast (make sure you try the pancakes!)
- setting and atmosphere
- the gardens
- the overall quality of food (they grow most fruit and vegetables themselves)

Cons:
- quite an expensive experience
- the pool is not top-quality

Net, a great experience, we will hopefully go back there for one of our wedding anniversaries!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
England
Reviewed November 25, 2009

From the moment we got there we knew we had made the right choice. The receptionist Sabrina (... I think..., apologies!) was delightful from the moment she greeted us in the courtyard and nothing was too much trouble throughout our stay till our wave goodbye to this absolutely gorgeous little place.

The food was divine and I was particularly happy with the cleaning and arrangement of our room.

There was a small greasy spot on the big window in the hallway in the evening I noticed and it was gone in the morning, so I was quite impressed!

Ah, we simply loved it all. The fireplaces and the drinks whenever and wherever you liked them. Delightful!

We shall return ...

Lily Sheridan

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lilysheridan
United Kingdom
Reviewed November 11, 2009

We have been back from BSP a month now & I have kept meaning to get my review up, but didn't know where to start because it was just so perfect I knew I would ramble.

Many lovely comments have been made about the property itself & there's nothing more I can add - it is totally gorgeous & from the moment those gates opened (for us; promptly everytime) I was taken with everything....absolutely everything including the staff. In fact, they were a highlight for us. From Max in the bar to Roberta and Sabrina and the other receptionists to the waiters to the spa staff - they were all seriously world class. And as for the food - we had intended to explore & drive out to eat during our stay. It says a lot for the chef and his menu that we actually ended up eating in the hotel every night. In fact, we couldn't wait to get back to eat every evening.
With regards to the prices of food and drinks, we have eaten everywhere from Burger King to The Fat Duck & I think it's all relative. We certainly didn't feel our bill was high for the quality of food, service we received and the setting we dined/drank in.
I guess it's subjective, but I am still slightly suspicious of people who write only one, mean review.

BSP is also in the perfect location for exploring Florence (1 hour 15 minutes) & Siena (1 hour) & other parts of Tuscany. Pisa airport is about an hour and a half.
More locally we came across a great wine bar at the edge of the woods with lovely locals, great cheeseboards & red wine. 'Though I'm slightly embarassed to admit it - we didn't make it up to see the sword of San Galgano which has a great history, afterwards. But no matter, next time we will visit the sword first.

And there is going to be a 'next time'. It's booked for next year. We can't wait. And it's the only hotel in the world that we have returned to so quickly.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Agdord
Dublin
Reviewed November 10, 2009

We decided as there were more rave reviews than poor reviews and there was nothing in the middle, so we would go with the majority and book our holiday here. We now regret that decision.
I think we can all say the property is stunning; yes it is a new build and does need time to establish itself, this we can over look. There are a few things which we were bemused by but on the whole we were very happy with our room especially the bathroom! The house keeping staff and gardeners were lovely and on all these points we were happy, we delighted in the surroundings and if we were staying with friends at their country house we would have been over the moon. However we were paying a lot of money to stay here and having stayed in many beautiful hotels, spas and boutique retreats all over the world we have a clear idea of what to expect of the service and our expectations were not met.
I have never before been moved enough to write a review but our stay here was such a disappointment…
We experienced the same as another past guest and we had to wait a long time before finally phoning 4 times before someone answered the phone and opened the gate. The owners nanny was always hanging round in the kitchen area which would have been fine if she had been friendly and helpful but she was on par with the Dutch female restaurant manager was rude and unaccommodating, the reception/office staff who are all female, seemed to spend a lot of time arguing with each other in the office and my Italian is fluent so I understood every name they called each other! The food was terrible and if the owners (who when present were like a broken record talking to anyone who would politely listen to them about how long it has taken them to build and decorate and design the gardens!) are to be believed that they read all these reviews and act upon them, then I have to ask why have they not changed the chef for someone who can cook wonderful Italian dishes? Maybe readjusted their restaurant and bar prices, which we acknowledge were expected to be high but we were also expecting quality. We happily pay for gastronomic delights but as this was not to be found here we ended up going elsewhere to dine in the evening, which was not the idea behind choosing such a secluded hotel!
If we only wanted to stay in a beautiful villa, we would have rented a private one! Borgo Santo Pietro is a beautiful property but it does not come with 5 star services!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank SentaDublin
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chiusdino
Castello Banfi - Il Borgo
Castello Banfi - Il Borgo
#1 of 17 in Montalcino
Castello di Casole Private Estate & Spa
Rosewood Castiglion Del Bosco
Castello di Velona Resort, Thermal Spa & Winery
Castello di Velona Resort, Therm...
#1 of 1 in Castelnuovo dell'Abate
Hotel Borgo San Felice
Hotel Borgo San Felice
#2 of 8 in Castelnuovo Berardenga
Hotel Le Fontanelle
Hotel Le Fontanelle
#1 of 1 in Pianella

Been to Borgo Santo Pietro? Share your experiences!