“A Tuscan scam”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Chiusdino
NYC
“A Tuscan scam”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2012

My husband and I vacationed here for our honeymoon, this was the only black cloud in our entire 2 week trip.
BSP was difficult to find, not conveniently located in central Tuscany (1 hr from Siena) and was overpriced for the room and service. The only highlight was the buffet breakfast outdoors.
First of all, the front office staff was cold, and after we decided to venture outside the hotel for dinner -they were even less friendly. We requested earlier check out due to travel plans, and this was seen as a hassle for the idle office staff. The room was way overpriced and the beds were very soft. Not a fan. We stayed in Piedmonte, Amalfi and Capri in boutique hotels for much less and enjoyed a wonderful Italian experience. Just to note; we are from NYC and no stranger to lack of hospitality, but BSP ranks at the bottom.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
14 Thank katt1976

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2012

My husband and I just stayed for three nights at Borgo Santo Pietro. First, I must emphasize how absolutely gorgeous the property is -- the house, the views, the interiors -- stunning at every turn. You WILL be blown away. All in all in was a truly lovely stay.

A few things for me kept me from giving it a 5th star. The biggest was the restaurant. Sergio and his serving staff are as good as they get, at any restaurant, anywhere. Perfect service, attention, care all the time. But the food was lacking. Its not that its bad, but its not WOW (and you certainly pay WOW prices), and it just fell short compared to the meals we had elsewhere. And be warned, there is only one suggested restaurant close by that they suggest, other that that you have to eat in house. Expect a very hefty bill...in fact probably double in price what you'll pay elsewhere for a great dinner. Expect very hefty price tags on wine....every glass was at least 15 Euro, and this is true even for simple whites, Chiantis. Given the price of these wines in Italy, I found it irksome.

And lastly some disappointment with reception and a lack of a proper person for concierge help (the receptionist say they play this role). While the manager is very kind, the other receptionists honestly need some lessons in customer service at high scale hotels -- not particularly helpful, not overly kind, would leave me sitting there waiting while they chatted on the phone instead of calling the person back, etc. And weren't really at all helpful in terms of suggesting things to do in the area, sites to see, restaurants. The other places we stayed later made it clear this portion of the service is very lacking. We really wanted their help and asked several times and never really got helpful information (very generalized, not specific suggestions, such as "you could go to Siena". This compares to the place we went to immediately after that even had preprogrammed GPS to take you to the best parking in every town, had tons of very specific suggestions, best dish and wine suggestions at every restaurant, made bookings before we even asked just in case, etc. BSP is supposed to be a five start hotel so they do need to step this up.

Again, we did have a lovely stay here and i continue to think back about the glorious fireplaces and views. But was it perfect? Not yet, maybe next time.

3 Thank mmm303
Leesburg, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2012

My lovely wife and I spend 6 enchanting nights in BSP. We loved it. From the moment we arrived we felt like we were at home. The service and staff are splendid, our room luxurious, and the villa and grounds simply gorgeous. We warmly recommend BSP both for itself as well as a base for lovely day tours throughout Tuscany.

My wife sampled the small spa and found the treatments and atmosphere excellent. The spa manager Tracey has amazing skills and we definitely recommend the candle massage.

The only development area we have for BSP is the kitchen. There we have two items, the first is that it is too upscale. The feeling at BSP is being welcome in someone's home, not as a guest but as a family member. It would be nice if the menu had more, basic Tuscan dishes all well as innovative items. The desired feeling was evident at breakfast but dinner was formal. The second is that we were disappointed the chef could not managed "well done" for our steak. We even sent it back and still it was undercooked.

To reiterate - grounds, villa, staff, service, and Tuscan experience - all were perfect.

2 Thank Keith S
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2012

Recently, I took my father on a trip to Tuscany as a 70th birthday gift. We both love Tuscany and had a wonderful time. Our first few nights were spent in Firenze which is always lovely. The real treat of the trip was our stay at the most magnificent slice of heaven in Tuscany "Borgo Santo Pietro." I wanted to find somewhere extra special and this place far exceeded all of my expectations. Its idea location was also very convenient to all of the great hilltop villages and vineyards of Tuscany. My father and I are world travelers and have stayed at some of the most exquisite hotels all over the world in some of the most exotic locations. I have to say that "Borgo Santo Pietro" comes in first place! This restored villa and its grounds are decorated with impeccable taste. The aesthetics of the hotel are beyond words, but the magnificence of the place is not just its appearance.

We were greeted at our car with umbrellas as it was raining and dark when we arrived. Walking into the main villa upon arrival was walking into the coziest yet most opulent setting. There are roaring fires in the various sitting areas which just make you feel like you are at home. You cannot help but stare in amazement at the most lovely furnishings from the candelabras to the silk drapes that adorn the place. The most delectable glass of prosecco is presented to us while we are told to just relax in the music room. I wish someone was there to take a picture of my father and my face as it was just full of smiles. We were then brought to our rooms. My dad had one of the beautiful Garden junior suites which is separate from the main villa. The room was stunning. His soaking tub was fit for a Roman God. The furnishings were gorgeous and the fireplace in his room of course added to the already wonderful atmosphere. I stayed in one of the rooms in the Main Villa. The attention to detail in this room was unbelievable. It was cozy and luxurious. Again, the fireplace really added to the already present atmosphere. Wandering through the property is indescribable. The tomato garden, herb gardens, and fruit trees are out of a story book. There is lovely seating overlooking the Valle Serena which must be a great place during the summer to enjoy a mid afternoon cocktail or to watch the sunset. The infinity pool was picture perfect. The treehouse bar is an outdoor bar with a thatched roof. It has wonderful atmosphere and is a great place to retreat to after dinner.

The breakfast in the morning was wonderful. There are two kitchens in the villa. The basement houses the main kitchen where lunch and dinner are cooked. The beautiful kitchen on the main floor of the villa is for the guests to enjoy a decadent breakfast whether they choose to sit at the long communal table or to have their breakfast outside overlooking the beautiful tuscan scenery. The fresh fruit, yogurts, cheese, meats, and baked goods are heavenly. There are staff there that will ask what they may cook for you. (Go for the Eggs Fiorentina- delicious). The restaurant where we dined each night at the hotel is wonderful. You could stay there for two weeks and not have the same thing twice. The menu is very expansive and innovative. The cuisine is impeccable along with the wine list which was a history lesson in itself. It is presented in such a way that you cannot walk away without some sort of new knowledge of Italian wines and regions. Both the indoor and outdoor seating for dinner were spectacular.

The staff at the hotel are irreplaceable. Timea was lovely and was my first point of contact when booking my reservation. She helped explain the rooms to me and to let me know all of the different activities we were able to do while in the area. The entire staff made our experience so special and they made it seem effortless. The smiles on each persons' face every day was a wonderful way to be greeted morning and night. They all remembered particular things we enjoyed from previous days which just made it seem all the more personal.

Being it is such an intimate place, we were able to meet some wonderful guests that we have stayed in touch with since our time at Borgo. The only thing that was missing at this place was my husband. I came back to London and let him know that we are going to be back there within the next few months and every year after. The owners of this hotel have done an amazing job of creating an experience that would be very difficult to replicate.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Rachel M
La Jolla, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2012

O. K. half of me wants to keep this gem a complete secret and the other half wants to share a little Shangri la located in Tuscany. Relais Borgo Santo Pietro in Chiusdino, Italy is truly a gem! I have traveled the world and stayed in some amazing places (i.e., Eden Rock, Saint Barth’s, Hotel du Cap, Antibes, France, Alvear Palace Hotel, Buenos Aires, Argentina) and I must say, I don’t think I have ever stayed is a place as special as Borgo Santo Pietro. The owners, Danes, Claus and Jeanette Thottrup clearly got this right! This 13th-century place, which, when it was purchased, was in complete ruin (ask to see the photos!) truly reflects a labor of love and it show is every detail….and details there are!
Upon arrival, we were greeted with a glass of Prosecco and when we asked if it was too late to order a late lunch (4:00pm) there was no hesitation. The grounds are spectacular and the setting unmatched. While admiring the picture perfect Tuscan landscape, it was no problem “lingering” over lunch or having a late afternoon drink (Peach Bellini’s were unbelievable with chunks of fresh peaches floating in the generous glasses.)
The property is ideally situated within striking distance to wonderful hilltop and medieval villages such as. Monticiano, Montalcino, Pienza, Montepulciano, Siena and San Gimignano, among others. We had rented a car in Florence and drove to the property; and with our Garmin in tow, were able to easily navigate to the villages without fail. The staff provided wonderful itineraries for our daily outings to villages and wineries.
The staff played an important part in making you feel they were sharing their own home with us. From the elegant and ever so warm welcome from Claudine to the charismatic Ivan and Hector and the gentle spirit of Apolonio and the entire staff, we always felt pampered. The incredible breakfast, which is served until the decent hour of 11am, consisted of, well, everything. I was partial to starting with a cappuccino, followed by an assortment of homemade pastries and cakes, which hardly left room for my eggs Florentine with homemade Bearnaise sauce. There was always room for one more cappuccino though, which Apolonio always made sure was delivered piping hot. One of the evenings during our stay was “Tuscan Dinner” night where music was provided and a scrumptious Tuscan feast, which didn’t spare any Tuscan dish known to man, I believe. I discovered their vegetable garden on one of my walks on the grounds as well as a potting shed for the fresh flowers that were seemingly in every room. There is a swimming pool, tennis court, and spa that was converted from the old abbey.
Candles and burning wood in fireplaces is one of my things and I was not disappointed to wake up and be greeted by candelabras fully aglow and fires in just about every fireplace burning.
My only regrets, however, was not having the chance to meet Claus and Jeanette who had a vision and surpassed, beyond belief, with this masterpiece and hoping my call to rebook a room will not be met with “so sorry, we’re fully booked.’’ My husband and I are already trying to plan our next visit to the exquisite Borgo Santo Pietro for the spring; I’m dreaming of my next Bellini sipped in front of the outdoor fireplace complete with an unsurpassed Tuscan view!

2 Thank Caroline F
Auckland, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2012

This place is gorgeous. I loved our room and the all the living and eating areas of the hotel. As soon as we arrived we felt like guests in a private house. The breakfast was amazing and the meals were great, it was fabulous to eat at the hotel and just walk back to your room. You need a car to visit places from here though the abbey is a nice walk through the farm and forest and is well worth the visit.

Room Tip: The new rooms away from the main house are beautiful and quiet, some of the rooms in the main house...