“A Lukewarm Experience...”

Hotel Borgo San Felice
Reviewed November 29, 2006

I stayed here for my honeymoon. My fiance & I don't travel a great deal (about once a year), but when we do we like to stay in 4 to 5 star resorts or hotels. We stayed in Venice, Tuscany, Sorrento, & Rome on our 10 day honeymoon trip. I was the most excited about the Tuscany stop...until we got there.

If you stay at this property YOU MUST HAVE A CAR! If not, you will be bored to tears after the first day. The cab ride to Siena (the closest town) is between 30-40 euro.

My travel agent told me that it was a "midevil village". I thought, "a village will be perfect, little shops, restaurants, etc." It is not a villiage, it is a hotel comprised of many buildings. There is one pricy restaurant and it has a complimentary breakfast, which is decent. The lunch & dinner are the same every day. The menu is limited to about 10 main courses which include pigeon (yes, the bird) raviloi, wild boar, venison, & young rooster. We ordered the 80 euro steak our first night there to share and it looked like it was something that Fred Flinstone would eat. (not to mention that they insisted that we have it "medium" which was actually raw!) They were insistant on a dinner reservation even though we were the only people staying at the hotel at the time. The wait staff was very friendly however.

The second most important thing is to make sure that you stay during the week. They have a winery at the sight which is closed on the weekend. They offer tours and tastings. We did not get to see it, but the Borgo san Felice Chianti Classico Reserve is pretty good.

The buildings are old, so the rooms are ok. They have sort of a stale smell because they let people smoke in the rooms. I think we had two english tv channels: CNN & BBC (woo hoo). Bed was horrible with springs poking you in the back. The bathroom was nice with a deep, large tub and a ceiling-mounted shower head.

I live in a beautiful countryside area in VA, so I was not that impressed with Tuscany. If I had it to do over, I would have stayed on the Amalphi coast the entire trip. I was told that since it was off season no one would be there. NOT TRUE! We loved Sorrento and wish we could have stayed there longer. Rome was great as well.

I would recommend what the other writer had said. Stay in Siena and do a day trip to the wineries in the Chianti region.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank JP7221

Reviewed November 3, 2006

We have stayed in Relais and Chateau properties many times,and with great results.The people who run this property could care less about its customers.Hauty and rude.Our room had broken a/c and the room was in the 90's.A second room was not much better as far as temperature.The bed was probably as old as the 15th century grounds.The pillows could have been chisled by Michealango into statues,they seemed to be made of marble.I would recommend staying in Sienna, and have told Relais and Chateau to delist this travesty of a hotel.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled with family
7  Thank Nickdds
Reviewed October 28, 2006

We came here in early September for part of our honeymoon. This place was terrific! The hotel complex is made up of a series of beautiful buildings. The landscaping is very pretty and overall the place is very quiet and relaxing.

The front desk staff was very nice and helpful. The host in the restaurant was very knowledgable about food and wine and other things. For instance, he recommended a place for us to take a hike among the vineyards. The restaurant is on the expensive side, but the food was delicious. We especially enjoyed the traditional bread-and-vegetable soup and the salad with the local cheese. However the desserts were overpriced (a tiny piece of cake was 18 euro!)

This place is about 20 minutes from Siena. We did not rent a car, so we had to take a cab back-and-forth, which got to be annoying and expensive (40 euros one way!).

We spent the last day of our trip lounging by the poolside, which was heavenly. It was quiet and peaceful and the water was warm. The pool staff waited on us and were happy to accomodate any requests.

The room was nicely decorated, but seemed a bit "French countryside" for me (all blue and yellow) with brick floors. The bathroom had beautiful tile floors. However, I should note that we had NO view from our room. Literally: the window looked at a brick wall. However, everything else made up for this one minor thing, so we could overlook this and never bothered to complain.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
7  Thank syrurs1
Reviewed October 18, 2006

If only this lovely Tuscan village resort had the proper management, it could be one of the best properties on the planet, and worth the steep tarriffs The setting is breathtaking and bucolic. Unfortunately the accomodations and restaurant are substandard for a Relais and chateau property.
Our suite was small with shabby furnishings, non-working AC and a mattress that would have been perfectly at home in a roadside Motel.
In a country where it is difficult to have a bad meal, The restaurant was pretentious and the food was pedestrian. The staff appears to have no connections to the local vineyards or other establishments and are unable to provide any real assistance in making local arrangements.
In other words...stay somewhere else and have a wonderful time.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled as a couple
4  Thank NYPetunia
Reviewed September 5, 2006

We had a great time at this jewel truly in the middle of nowhere. It's a great resort, with tennis courts, pool, pool table, etc. Check out the garden, but don't eat the Peppercino's! Only about 15 mins outside Siena.

Stayed: August 2006
4  Thank EricMosk
Reviewed July 23, 2006

My husband and I couldn't wait to stay at Borgo San Felice as we had seen it on our last trip to Tuscany. When we arrived we were told we had been up-graded to a suite- how wonderful! Upon going into the bathroom of this suite I encountered ANTS!! When we told the management about the problem they said it would be taken care of. Need I say more? The problem just continued to get worse ( ants in the bed sheets!!) They did not do anything about it and said they were sorry. Well this is not what one should expect when staying and paying the price for a Relais and Chateau Hotel!! The hamlet is very beautiful if one can get beyond sleeping, showering and living with ANTS!!

Stayed: July 2006
6  Thank Raphello
Reviewed June 3, 2006

The Relais-Chateaux hotel group never lets you down; each hotel is a jewel in its own way, and I always start planning a trip by seeing which of their hotels are in the area where I want to visit. In this case, the Borgo San Felice looked like the best country hotel-restaurant in the Relais-Chateaux catalog, and my visit there justified this intuition. It is in a perfect location in the Chianti vinyards, nice for visiting the towns and vinyards in the day, then having dinner on their terrace watching the sun set. I was lucky to have dinner there when a pianist played us some nice jazz outdoors under the stars. The room I stayed in was first-rate, too.

• Stayed: May 2006
Hotel Le Fontanelle
Hotel Le Fontanelle
#1 of 1 in Pianella
Castello di Spaltenna Exclusive Tuscan Resort & Spa
Castello di Spaltenna Exclusive ...
#1 of 8 in Gaiole in Chianti
Borgo Scopeto Relais
Borgo Scopeto Relais
#1 of 1 in Vagliagli
Villa Curina Resort
Villa Curina Resort
#5 of 8 in Castelnuovo Berardenga
Hotel Villa Campomaggio Resort & Spa
Hotel Villa Campomaggio Resort &...
#2 of 15 in Radda in Chianti

Been to Hotel Borgo San Felice? Share your experiences!