“2 Night Backroads Biking stay” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Borgo San Felice

Hotel Borgo San Felice
Baltimore, Maryland
“2 Night Backroads Biking stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2014

This beautiful spot was part of our Premiere Inn trip for Backroads Biking. The grounds are stunning and lovely to walk around. The pool/ terrace area is a beautiful spot to enjoy the pool and relax with a cocktail or other beverage after a long day of cycling. As part of our activities we had a wine tasting and a tour of the wine cellars which were both wonderful. Our room was a suite and quite spacious and comfortable. The buffet breakfast was a perfect way to start the day and the orange juice (blood oranges I believe) was outstanding. We had a quick 2 days and it was very relaxing.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jane S
Achille D, Direttore generale at Hotel Borgo San Felice, responded to this review, June 30, 2014
Dear Guest,

thank you for the positive feedback regarding your recent stay at Borgo San Felice.

I am glad to read that you did enjoy your hectic and short stay in our beautiful property.
From your notes, I understand that you had the time to relax, though tired from the long biking!

Me and the rest of the team are looking forward to welcoming you back to Borgo San Felice and drink a glass of wine together!

Achille Di Carlo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
St. Albans, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2014

We have just stayed here for 4 days and found it a very pleasant experience. The hotel is beautiful and unusual as it was a village which is now an hotel. We had a classic room which was delightful and had all the facilities that we required save for the lack of tea/ coffee making facilities. The buffet breakfasts are good and there is ample choice however we feel that in a 5 star hotel breakfast really should be served to you. We dined in on only 1 occasion and the setting of the restaurant is attractive and the piano player enhances the ambience. The service is good and all staff friendly and attentive. We had lunch at the second restaurant and found the menu some what limited and we feel that this needs more work.

1 Thank Steve_wendy181
Dear Guest,

thank you for taking the time to leave your positive comment on Trip Advisor.
I am happy to read that your enjoyed our beautiful Hotel and its services.

I would like to inform you that I have shared these thoughts with the rest of the team who is looking forward to having you back at Borgo San Felice.

Thank you for sharing your notes regarding our Tuscan restaurant, the Terrazza di San Felice.
We have just opened this year and thanks to all the feedbacks and suggestions we are working on improving every day the service we offer to our valued guests.

I remain at your complete disposal, and I look forward to welcoming you back to Borgo San Felice,

Brussels, Belgium
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2014

The location itself is just amazing (an old Borgo turned into a luxury hotel). It's because of this that my rating is not lower. But every hotel (nice or not nice) is run by people which at the end are responsible for making your stay a nice one. Unfortunately this hotel has a serious problem with their staff.
Except from Valentino (Pool Bar & Restaurant waiter/attendant) who has been absolutely professional, friendly, paying attention to the details and always trying to do more than expected, the rest of the staff is not up to the level of this hotel and to what you expect when staying at a Relais & Chateaux.
Starting from the General Manager who will never introduce himself and ask for feedback (not even greeting) even though you can see him quite often walking around. We tried the two restaurants in more than one occasion and the we never had good experiences. The first night we tried La Terraza restaurant, and it took them 30 minutes (yes, 30) to serve all the main dishes (when they are normally served all at the same time). So by the time some people were finishing the main dish, other were just starting and some other still waiting. Sometimes you have the feeling that you are a pain, that you are disturbing them. Staff doesn't smile, they are not proactive.
Only during the third day we found out that there is a menu during breakfast where you can ask for some additional warm dishes (of course at an extra cost, which is normal).
Rooms are very small, unless you book one of the suites. The decoration is very nice (classic) and in very good condition.
I used the Spa facilities (which are very nice) and was charged 20 EUR when leaving the facilities. Nobody informed us that using the spa has an additional cost and nobody was at the reception when I went in. So I only realized that it has a cost when exiting the Spa and, of course, they would not accept to let you go without paying.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Achille D, Direttore generale at Hotel Borgo San Felice, responded to this review, June 27, 2014
Dear Guest,
I would like to thank you for taking your precious time to share your experience on Trip Advisor.
I am very delighted that you appreciate the beauty of the Borgo San Felice and I am proud to work in this amazing property.

I am very sorry to read about your concerns regarding the management, because I truly believe that what makes the difference is the people working for Borgo San Felice and its management.

When I am onsite and when possible, I always introduce myself whenever I encounter the guests, because I love knowing them personally and I do believe that what matters most is your feedback, as this will help us improve our service and correct every mishappening I have been told about.
In addition, during my absence, there is a Manager on duty, who does this on my behalf, as it is our standard routine to greet our guests staying on property.

I deeply regret to read as well that you had some issues with our restaurants, and had we received your feedbacks during your stay, we would have tried to find a solution to show you that we really take high importance to satisfy our clients’ needs.
Our forte, as you may have also ascertained in the previous comments, is the team that every day, with passion, gives their best in offering an impeccable service.

Like the majority of the Hotels, you may have noted that breakfast is always served on buffet with lots of options to offer, and like in Borgo San Felice, every guest can order extra dishes from the menu provided on each table.

I am happy to learn that you did enjoy our wet area, and I am sorry you were not aware of the entrance cost per person, even though our standard, when we send the booking confirmation, is to inform our valued guests of all the extra costs that they may incur during their stay at Borgo San Felice.

I would love to get in touch with you directly to be able to discuss personally about this matter; I remain at your complete disposal and once again thank you for your notes.

Centennial, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2014

What an enchanting hotel. It is actually a converted hilltop village complete with churches, palazzo, pool and fine dining. For dinner, stick with Poggio Rosa. The new taverna is a bit too non-Tuscany, though they tried.

1 Thank Steve B
Achille D, Direttore generale at Hotel Borgo San Felice, responded to this review, June 16, 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments about your recent stay with us.

I am happy Borgo San Felice has enchanted you with the history that our buildings tell.
It is overwhelming to know that you also had a nice dinner at our Poggio Rosso restaurant.
Whilst, I am very sorry to read that you did not appreciate our new restaurant Terrazza San Felice, as we only gather positive feedbacks from the guests.
However we thank you for sharing your thoughts; we have just open this year and are improving the service each day.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Borgo San Felice,

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2014

We had an amazing two night stay at San Felice: the hotel staff, and those at the Spa and Enoteca, were lovely to us. Everyone was very friendly and helpful. Our room was amazing (we were on honeymoon and they gave us a fantastic upgrade, without even mentioning when we arrived that they were doing so, pleasingly not making any fuss about anything). The facilities are superb: we had a massage in the Spa, a game of tennis (hiring equipment from the staff) and cooled off with a relaxing swim in their beautiful pool. It's a wonderful place to stay, and we'll definitely be heading back a few times in the future!

The only points to flag:
1. We visited towards the end of the last week in May. When we were there, and at or about that time each year, it was the annual conference of Allianz Investors (who I gather own the vineyard). The conference takes over a large amount of the hotel and, while the delegates were a very pleasant lot and excitedly Italian, it perhaps takes away a little of the magic to share the surroundings and facilities with such a large corporate junket (exactly the kind of thing you go on holiday to escape!). Our stay was still wonderful, but for future travellers it might be worth checking timings and functions (if travelling around that time).

2. The restaurant Poggio Rosso is a lovely place to eat: it has a fantastic ambience - with an amazing piano player (while we were there) - and beautiful surroundings. It must be said that the food is, however, easily beaten for quality by the (1* michelin) restaurant "Bottega del 30" in nearby Villa a Sesta ... and Bottega del 30 actually works out quite a bit less expensive (unless, perhpas, you're on a package with San Felice). I'd highly recommend the short trip for dinner to Bottega del 30, or the relaxed and charming Villa di Sotto (also in Villa a Sesta), if staying at San Felice.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank niklsb
Dear Guest,
thank you for the precious comment left on Trip Advisor regarding your stay at Borgo San Felice.

I am very delighted to read about your lovely stay with us, enjoying every single moment of it.
The wonderful thing about Borgo San Felice is that you need not have to go off property, as you have lots to do on spot.

I am aware that the party may had taken away part of the MAGIC of this place, however from your positive comment, I am glad we have been able to make your stay even more memorable.

I am very happy you did enjoy the Bottega del 30; we always suggest this place to our guest, because we highly consider this restaurant as one of the best here in town and we are proud to collaborate with them.

Thank you once again for the time dedicated in sharing your positive experience at Borgo San Felice.

I look forward to welcoming you back,

Kind regards,
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2014

This lovely hotel has flowers spilling out everywhere, with an oasis-like pool area and very spacious rooms. Service is terrific, too. And wine cellar and wine tasting was a lovely experience. We had perfect weather, but if it is rainy it could be unpleasant since the hotel is a renovated old village and requires walking outdoors from main building to rooms to restaurant, etc.

1 Thank NYC-Picky77
Dear Guest,
thank you for the sharing your experience on Trip Advisor.

I am happy to read that you highly appreciated all our hotel services and facilities.
I would like you to know that I will share this positive comment with the rest of the team, who everyday offers true dedication in offering a TERRIFIC service.

I am sure you would have appreciated Borgo San Felice, even during rainy days, as the 7-colours on the horizon after it has poured, are worth it.

I look forward to welcoming you back to our OASIS,

Holland, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2014 via mobile

If you are looking for a first class experience out in the country this is the spot. The food is exquisite and the service is unmatched. We took advantage of the wine tasting which included a tour of the grounds, the production area, a tasting of several wines plus a tasting of cheeses, salami and their own olive oil. We bought a couple of bottles wine (very good & good prices inthe wine shop) and sipped wine at one of the many outdoor seating areas. A true delight.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank IKE48
Dear Guest,
thank you for taking your precious time to write your positive thoughts regarding you recent stay at Borgo San Felice.
I am very happy to read that your small journey has been TREMENDOUS! And that you enjoyed the tour of the grounds and our wines.

Please rest assured that I have proudly shared this comment to the rest of the team who looks forward to welcoming you once again and sip a glass of wine together.

I remain at your complete disposal,

Also consider these accommodations in or near Castelnuovo Berardenga
Villa Bordoni
Villa Bordoni
#1 of 19 in Greve in Chianti
Borgo Scopeto Relais
Borgo Scopeto Relais
#1 of 1 in Vagliagli
Castello di Spaltenna Exclusive Tuscan Resort & Spa
Castello di Spaltenna Exclusive ...
#1 of 8 in Gaiole in Chianti
Castel Monastero
Castel Monastero
#4 of 10 in Castelnuovo Berardenga
Hotel Villa Campomaggio Resort & Spa
Hotel Villa Campomaggio Resort &...
#1 of 15 in Radda in Chianti
Castello Vicchiomaggio
Castello Vicchiomaggio
#3 of 19 in Greve in Chianti

Been to Hotel Borgo San Felice? Share your experiences!