My wife and I booked this resort accomdation as part of a package deal via the Secret Escapes company and the deal included flights, car hire and breakfast. The flights took us to Pisa and we had a drive of a few hours plus before reaching this place, the overall initial impression is impressive and we found the team on duty were extremely helpful and were given the impression that nothing would be too much trouble.
The rooms are divided into separate areas and, on our arrival, we were iformed that we had been upgraded from a de-luxe room to a superior accomodation. The room was extremely well appointed, although it did lack the usual tea and coffee making provisions and equipment, the mini bar was interesting but rather over - priced. We booked to eat in The Cantina - this was said to offer "peasant food" (not at prices reflecting that status may I add) and we found the Head Waiter very informative and chose the special of T - Bone steak with beans (?) and potatoes. The food was superb in it's preoaration but we would have enjoyed a salad rather than the rather bland beans.
The starters were tasty but also expensive and the best aspect of the whole meal was the wine, Coffee was well made and tasted superb. We dined in this restaurant a second time but tailored our budget a little and, rather disappointinglym, the service suffered - we felt this was as a direct result of the choice to spend less on the food (pity).
The actual resort is stunning and hosts a health spa - we were not interested in this although we could have accessed the pool and basic facilities had we taken the right clothing. The grounds of monastery were impressive and the general ambience is lovely.
The last evening we spent in the resort we dined in "Contrada" this is a restaurant bearing the legend "Gordon Ramsey" and the food was delicious. The Head Chef and reception staff deserve praise here as the restaurant was fully booked and they made room for us as a last minute addition - the Head Chef was superb and asked to speak with us following our meal. The only criticism I have of the food is that porttions were somewhat on the small side and very expensive - although we were offered lots of home baked,. artisan breads with olive oil, an amuse bouche and a complimentary dessert platter.
The overall impression I have of this resort is postive and, once again it has to be said, that the service and the team were incredible. The only drawback was the expensive prices for both food and wine, and - although produce was superb and locally sourced (always a good thing) the prices were very steep. It is well worth exploring the local town as there are several interesting restaurants and bars that well worth exploring.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- While painters are born, travellers are made and no land has aroused the curiosity, the enthusiasm and the culture of entire generations more than Tuscany. Certainly, not all of them have had the luck to begin their journey in the enchantment of Castel Monastero. In fact a few kilometres from our village, along roads of pure delight, can be found masterpieces of art and of the highest culinary tradition.Every day, a discovery. Every day a different itinerary passing through unspoiled scenery. Every day, on your return, a massage and a candle-lit dinner. And together, over a romantic meal for two or with your friends, you will recall the frescoes of Piero della Francesca and the perfect walls of Monteriggioni, the Renaissance utopia of Pienza and the gastronomic glory of Castellina in Chianti. And again, to surprise you, there’ll be a sunset over Pitigliano and a stroll around the Etruscan necropolises of Sovana. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Hotwire, Priceline, Booking.com, Cheap Tickets, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and TripOnline SA so you can book your Castel Monastero reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Castel Monastero Hotel Castelnuovo Berardenga
- Castel Monastero Italy/Castelnuovo Berardenga, Province Of Siena