“Excellent Birding & Cultural Safari in southern Tuscany”
Review of Walking in Etruria

Walking in Etruria
Ranked #1 of 10 things to do in Capolona
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Walking and birding tours in Italy. I'm a professional nature guide who provides single or multi-day trips in the most beautiful regions of Italy. I can help you to discover the breathtaking landscapes, the nature, the history, and the traditions of the "boot".
Reviewed June 14, 2012

This past May, my wife, daughter and I embarked on a unique adventure with Marco in the Maremma region of Tuscany. Having done little birding in Europe, we were thrilled to be guided to a wide variety of habitats and provided the opportunity to discover a wide range of bird and animal species – including several regional and European rarities. Having already spent a week driving around Umbria, I welcomed Marco’s offer to pick us up near Perugia and drive us around for 4 days through the back roads, fields and hills of Tuscany. [NB: Marco is an excellent driver!] We stayed at the Locanda il Poderno in Manciano where the accommodations and cuisine were excellent. In addition to the nature, we also visited many medieval villages as well as Etruscan and Roman ruins. Marco was very knowledgeable about the biology, culture and history of central Italy and seemed genuinely happy to share time with us. We learned a great deal but most importantly, we had fun. On a special note, my daughter is not particularly enthusiastic about birding, but by the third day she was scouting for Rollers and calling out birds as they came into view (we saw so many bee-eaters!).

All reviews
in 6 reviews
"natural history"
in 6 reviews

Reviewed June 4, 2012

I used Marco for a 2-3 day birding trip. Marco was very knowledgeable and is a nice guy.

Reviewed April 19, 2012

I have been an active USA birder for over 30years(over 700 north american life birds). This was my 13th visit to Italy(about 300 paleoarctic life birds). On this trip I was primarily interested in visiting old Romanesque churches. As an after thought, way not incorporate some birding! Thanks to the internet I discovered Marco. The day and two evenings that we shared were the hi-light of my week long visit. I have birded with many prominent leaders in all 50 states: several ABA convention, Attu. Churchill MB, Gamble, etc. If any USA birding enterprise would like to select an Italian guide to head birding tours to Italy, MARCO IS YOUR MAN
What about other facets in visiting Italy? Marco is remarkably knowledgeable and educated: culture, history,geography,religion, Romanesque church locations, and not the least, great and quaint eating and lodging establishments. I can not wait for next spring birding with Marco, but more than just one day! Please do not over disclose this treasure. I am selfish.
Joel Brenner, Canton GA

Reviewed March 27, 2012

Before our trip to Italy I had contacted Marco to do a day of birding near Siena in Tuscany. Most of our trip was in the cities of Rome, Florence and Venice so we were looking forward to getting out into the country to do some birding.

Marco was great at communicating with us by email and then in Italy by phone. He arranged to do an "economy" birding trip by meeting us at the train station in Sinalunga and from there drove us to the wetlands preserve at Foiano and continuing on to the excellent Riserva Naturale Lago di Montepulciano.

Marco is a jovial, knowledgeable, and hard working guide. My wife who is not a birder, really enjoyed the day talking with Marco about the history and politics of Italy. We saw a good list of birds especially considering we were on the cusp of spring. For a list check my eBird entry for March 14, 2012 on sightings in Tuscany.

We enriched the experience by stopping in Montepulciano to have some wine (fantastic Brunello!) and cheese at a very affordable and charming outside cafe.

I would highly recommend Marco as a guide for birding and I can see how he would also be an excellent guide for hiking and historical tours.