“Beautifully landscaped,tranquil and interesting hotel”

Acacia Resort Parco dei Leoni
peak district derbyshire
“Beautifully landscaped,tranquil and interesting hotel”
Reviewed August 6, 2012

We have just returned from a most enjoyable stay at the Acacia Resort. We hired a car and drove down from the airport at Catania and when we couldn't find the hotel, we phoned them and a most helpful person at reception gave us good directions in excellent English and we were able to locate it. Throughout our stay we found the staff to be helpful, friendly and very attentive.

The hotel is beautifully landscaped with all available space including the roofs planted with a variety of flowers and succulents and we were able to observe at very close quarters swallows feeding heir young.

The hotel never seemed crowded even though it was peak holiday time and we always managed to get a sunbed as there were plenty and nobody got up early to reserve them. (The hotel has notices asking people not to reserve sun loungers.)

A lawn equipped with a football/ volleyball area, a children's play area, open area film area and some exercise challenges for adults leads on to a sandy/pebbly beach with an arched bridge leading over the pebbly part of the sea into a sandier part. The sea is wonderful, warm and slightly wavy.

We enjoyed all our meals particularly the Sicilian Evening when we were able to sample a wide variety of Siciliiian dishes. The fact that we both put on half a stone [s testimony to the quality and quantity of the food.! Our only disappointment here was the lack of a decent Italian coffee.

Our room was well equipped and well cleaned and a problem with th air con. was sorted out promptly but the lift was frequently not working and sometimes,particularly after a day walking and climbing steps the last thing you want to do is climb up three flights of stairs to your room.

I'm really glad we chose to stay at this resort but would highly recommend hiring a car if you enjoy expolring the area.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view- it's stunning. The rooms on the other side look over at the toll booths alt...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank bond&co

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed June 20, 2012

My name is Svetlana, I am from Russia, Moscow. Just a few words about the Acacia Resort Hotel (on the way from Palermo to Cefalu, Termini Imereze region). I came back two days ago, but still dreaming the fantastic atmosphere of this paradisiacal place.
Internet is full of pictures of the hotel, but believe me, if the Eden exists, it seems like Acacia – a beautiful garden with a lot of birds singing all the time, with a lot of flowers and green grass during all the year - due to the careful work of a well organized team, headed by its owner and general manager Mr.Madia. He stays all the day at the hotel, controlling himself each link of the activity. He knows personally a lot of guests, who try to come back next year, and it’s a real and admiring fact. All the people working for Acacia feel themselves deeply involved in the process of creating the ideal recreation conditions for the guests, that’s why the quality of all the services correspond to the international standards. Even the fact that the hotel has no town or village close to it makes no problem to those who want to go shopping or visiting some other places, because of the well coordinated system of shuttles.
During the whole day, 7 days a week, a big and very professional team of animators work hard, so that neither children nor adults have time to think about what to do: everything is well planned and organized. If you want to listen the romantic songs, to dance and to remember the most happy moments of your life, go to the piano bar, where Marco, excellent pianist and singer plays for you every night. And the emotions left by the Sicilian night where you also take part singing and dancing together with a professional group of musicians invited by the hotel, will stay with you for a long time.
The cuisine of Acacia is famous for its diversity, special meat and fish dishes and also desserts. It may sound like a promotional article, but it’s really what I remember from my staying in Acacia, so if you have a doubt about it you can spend a few days in this paradise and see that it’s true.

Room Tip: Try to book superior sea view, if not try to have a garantee that the garden view room has an upper...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank Svetlana T
, Responsabile reception at Acacia Resort Parco dei Leoni, responded to this review, June 21, 2012
Dear Ms. Svetlana,
thank you for your nice review. Mr. Madia is delighted by your words and compliments. He is so pleased that your holiday at Acacia Resort has been such a success. He appreciates that you've spotted the best caratteristic of our team: we really want to work hard to give to our guests an ultimate hotel experience. Therefore, Mr. Madia and his team wish to welcome you back for another paradisiac stay at Acacia Resort.
Best Regards,

Tallinn, Estonia
Reviewed June 3, 2012

It's a good hotel with a beautiful garden and very good service. Nice place for a family holiday. Our room in the main building was quite spacious and very clean. The choice of food at dinner was very wide and the service was professional. Although the choice of breakfast didn't change during 2 weeks, so this should need some improuvment.
Pool is very large and beautiful and the beach also quite nice, although a bit rocky.
Special thanks to Giuseppe in the miniclub!!! Our children (6y. and 8y.) liked spending time with him. He is very amusing and always organising something!
I recommend visiting Sicily very much! It has a beautiful nature and so many amazing places to visit (Park of Madonie, Cefalu, Erice, San Vito lo Capo etc.)

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Kadri O
miura77, Responsabile reception at Acacia Resort Parco dei Leoni, responded to this review, June 5, 2012
Dear Ms. Kadri O,
thak you for taking time reviewing Acacia Resort. I am thrilled by all your nice comments about the hotel and the services, moreover thank you for you suggestion about the breakfast, the managment will keep one eye on that. Giuseppe as well is very glad about your feedback. Most of all, you're saying right: Sicily is an amazing island and I hope that you'll come to visit it again. If so you know where to find us :)

Santiago, Chile
Reviewed May 6, 2012

One of the best hotels I have been. Service and food in the upper 10%. The place is near the beach and from there you can visit a number of interesting and beautiful landscapes and little villages around (besides Cefalu). I fully recommend if you plan to mix visiting wonderful Sicily and relax.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the sea are superb. Ask for full package including dinner.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank fnervi
miura77, Responsabile reception at Acacia Resort Parco dei Leoni, responded to this review, May 9, 2012
Dear fnervi,
Thank you for taking the time to write about Acacia Resort. Your kind comments about the food and staff make us really glad. I do hope that we will have an opportunity to welcome you back to Acacia Resort in the near future.

London
Reviewed February 2, 2012

I had an amzing time in Acacia Resort. Great place to spend a few relaxing days when you visit Sicily. The staff was very friendly and welcoming. The room was good size and very clean. I really enjoyed top roof swimming pool and the fact that there is a beach just next to the hotel. Food was very good and you are offered what is the best in the sicilian as well as modern european cooking. Waiting staff was very helpful and knew a lot about good italian wine.
Despite what some might say the location I believe it is very good. It's not too far from Palermo, very close to stunning Cefalu and just right next to the most beutiful part of Sicily Il Parco delle Madonie ( we were advised by the hotel staff to visit this place).
I will definitely come back.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Marta K
london
Reviewed October 31, 2011

The Hotel is set in beautiful grounds with a lovely swimming pool and stunning gardens, all of which were well maintained. Our cottage room whilst a little dark, was also very clean, the electricity in the room also stays on whilst you are out and allows you to keep the AC running at nothing extra. The Hotel provided entertainment around the pool daily from around 10am until 12 midday, involving lively music and aqua-gym, keep fit on the pool-side, then finishing with family games. There is plenty of loungers around the pool, twice these were mostly taken due to late attendance at the pool, but there are plenty throughout the gardens on the grass which is lovely (these are also quicker if you prefer). The staff were very friendly, the lunches were nice and the dinner buffet choice and quality was great and very hot!! On the negative side, the drinks were a little expensive and due to our tour operator we had to fly into Catania and were not able to fly into Palermo which would have been far closer. Although the Sicilian countryside is beautiful and they stop halfway through the 2.5 hour transfer for a break and so it didn't seem half as long as it was. Landing at Catania also permits an early view of Mount Etna!!!

The location of the Hotel is isolated and was therefore very quiet, however a bus operated direct from the Hotel to Cefalu (beautiful little town and a 30 minute journey) and to Palermo (the Capital of Sicily) for a very reasonable price. The Hotel is located very near the Temple of Victory at Himera, and near the excellent motorway network on the island, this enabled us to visit amazing Agrigento and the Valley of Temples on the south coast (a 2 hour journey on a coach, this was made a little longer due to extensive construction of the motorway near Agrigento so would be a maximum) and a 2.5 hour trip to Taormina and Mount Etna on the east coast. Highly recommend a trip to near the summit of Mount Etna via cable car and jeep/ truck!! The Hotel is located within Palermo province and therefore the Hotel is in a great location for exploring this city.

Cefalu has many shops with local produce and isn't at all over-priced, well worth a couple of visits for shopping, gifts and lunch!!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank scott w
London, UK
Reviewed October 4, 2011

Ironically, the problem with this holiday was another holiday we went on the year before. In 2010 we spent 2 weeks at Forte Village in Sardinia and after researching Acacia Resort we kind of assumed that it’ll be very similar (also 4-star, with its own private beach, self-contained, half-board etc.). We were proved wrong as it wasn’t nearly as brilliant as what we had experienced the year before.
The problem with this hotel, as one of the couples we met there very accurately pointed out, is that it seems to be “almost there” but unfortunately just not quite reaching the expected level of standard. Best description would be probably “mediocre hotel, with lots of unrealised potential”.
A bit of background: we are a family of three – late-20s, mid-30s, and a 2-year old, so were looking for a child-friendly hotel, with a beach, within 3 hour flight distance from London. Acacia seemed to meet all those requirements. Here’s what we liked about the hotel: security – to get in to the grounds one has to ring intercom to reception, otherwise, the big gate stays shut; our room, in the main building, was modern and clean, with a big balcony/patio; the bed was ok, big enough for 3 of us (although I personally hate the two doubles pushed together as you can always feel the gap in between regardless of how tightly they’re pushed together); air conditioning worked ok, more or less; shower had a good water pressure… To be honest, here I’m running out of things we liked at Acacia.
Now about what it is that didn’t quite “make” it for us. I guess in some ways our mood for the whole stay was determined by the first impression of the hotel. I’ll try to explain. First thing that caught our attention as we entered the lobby area was bouquets of beautiful flowers, which upon closer inspection turned out to be plastic. I am not a stickler for fine china, decantered wine and linen napkins with napkin rings but I think it’s odd that a hotel would go for plastic flowers when it’s 25 degrees outside and it’s pretty much still summer. And you are in Sicily. But oh well, plastic flowers on their own are unlikely to ruin anyone’s holiday. Then we made it to reception and were greeted by a chap wearing what seemed like an un-ironed shirt, i.e. it looked as if he just took it out of the drier. Again, I am not a tight-lipped Brit who can be offended by a wrinkled shirt, honestly I wouldn’t care if he wore a t-shirt and shorts – however, the first impression I got was that he just didn’t care what he looked like. That was later confirmed by other staff: they are all perfectly polite (unlike some previous comments that said the staff was rude. No one was rude to us.) – they just don’t care. One other example of this “couldn’t care less” attitude: in September in Sicily you can buy watermelons pretty much everywhere – there are lorries selling them alongside any major road. At dinner buffet (more about food later) on some tables they had these watermelons carved into shapes as decoration. I thought, “hmm, surely they probably have some watermelons they could serve at dinner as well”. I asked a passing waiter: “excuse me, do you have any watermelon?” “No.” And what about this one here?” “It’s a decoration” and with that he walked off. Ok, I guess that means “no”. (Later on I spotted a German granny with a big chunk of watermelon on her plate – she just ripped the “decoration” apart. Good thinking, I should’ve done the same!). And these are small instances (there are many other ones I could describe here but won’t), which, as and in themselves, will never ruin a holiday, but added together they do give a bad impression.
Moving on. As I said before, proximity of beach was a key decision factor and the hotel’s website seems to suggest they have one. The reality is this: there is no beach. There is access to water, but no beach as such. “The beach” is big and small rocks, which are impossible to navigate (especially with a 2-year old in tow) to safely get into water. Seriously. I’ve been to Crete where some beaches are rocky, but there I could walk on those rocks. Here – it’s like an obstacle course in the army. What doesn’t make sense is that when you look left or right, along the coast, some 200 yards away you can see perfectly sandy beaches. Acacia’s beach looks like someone intentionally dumped dozens of lorries of rocks on it. I’m sure it’s not the case, but that’s what it looks like. So, word of advice: if beach is important to you Acacia doesn’t have one.
One other thing – “the beach” is littered with rubbish – cigarette butts, candy wrappers, just plain rubbish (see pics). The biggest surprise came when my missus spotted two used condoms among the rocks. I am not kidding! And that’s another example of this “almost there but not quite there” impression: all it takes is send one member of staff, every morning, to the beach, with an empty bucket and rubber gloves to clean all visible rubbish, like they do at other hotels we stayed at. It can be done in 30 minutes tops. Clean beach, no condoms to step into, everyone’s happy. But they just don’t care. (surprisingly, public beach at Cefalu is spotless clean. And that’s public beach, not one belonging to a hotel.)
The hotel also has a swimming pool – a huge one, clean, and nicely maintained. However, we found the pool too cold. As in: you can get in and swim, but not really enjoy it. It felt at least three degrees cooler than the sea. I am not saying I am expecting a heated pool in the summer but still couldn’t understand how they managed to get water colder than air or sea temperature. However, that’s our subjective opinion and maybe others didn’t think so.
As you can probably imagine our mood soured by then and we were starting to find faults with everything. And that was only 2 hours after we arrived!
What we found strange is that you were expected to pay for beach towels: 3 euro per towel, every time you take one (although, in all fairness, they didn’t charge us when we were checking out. I did kind of make my opinion on it heard though), so 9 euro for a family of three whenever you want to go for a dip. It’s annoying, really, and we never came across it at other hotels we stayed in (they take a deposit in Dubai, for example, but that only to make sure you bring the towel back).
Now on to food. We had half-board and again our expectations were pre-determined by our experience at Forte Village the year before, where every meal was absolutely amazing, same half board though. Breakfast was… just poor, really: scrambled eggs artificial and gooey, a few plates of ham and cheese, warm yet stale croissants (it’s possible if you put croissants on a warm plate and keep them there for a while), mostly tinned fruit (pineapple rings, peaches in syrup)... Overall, not much choice of breakfast options and really uninspiring (is it again the lack of care?). And coffee – what I love about Italy is that you can get a great cup of espresso pretty much anywhere – except for breakfast at Acacia. A few travellers reported on a Nestle coffee machine and rubbish coffee it produces – I testify to that. And that’s a big let-down not to have a good cup of coffee at breakfast.
Dinner was hit and miss: a few times they did roasted fish and that was brilliant. A few times they did roast beef and that was just dry and bland. Overall, however, dinner wasn’t bad – we could always find something we liked. Plus they usually had a good selection of deserts. You have to pay for water though, which was news to me that half-board means only providing food at dinner, not even water included. So, it’s like a dinner surcharge you should expect to pay. In our experience we never came across it before (obviously paying for water when ordering a la carte, but not when on a half board basis), but maybe we had just been lucky and that’s a common practice we were not familiar with.
Kids Club wasn’t much of a kids’ club. It looked like a playground at a family house where kids had long gone – a bit shabby and unkempt. What caught our attention was a big shapeless mass of rubber in the corner. A few days later that transformed into a bouncy castle, except no one really cared to even splash it over with a water hose to wash off grime and mud that accumulated there over weeks (or months? years?...) It looked filthy so we didn’t let our daughter have a go at it. (see a pic)
Finally, and that probably is explained by the time of the year (last week of September), it felt like 95% of guests were pensioners from Germany and Russia. Lovely grandmas and grandpas who our daughter loved to flirt with but hardly any other couples with kids (or just young people) we could meet. What’s great though is that we refreshed our knowledge of Frank Sinatra and Nat King Cole, who seemed to be on a permanently playing soundtrack during dinners.
In summary, we didn’t have an awful stay. Nothing went terribly wrong. There were no major accidents. It was just boring, uninspiring and definitely not memorable. As one traveller in previous posts said a car is essential; otherwise, we’d have gone mad from boredom if we had to stay at Acacia Resort for seven days straight. We’ll definitely be back to Sicily, not to this hotel though.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Verdura Resort
Verdura Resort
#1 of 10 in Sciacca
VOI Baia di Tindari Resort

Been to Acacia Resort Parco dei Leoni? Share your experiences!