“Dining al fresco in front of the cathedral”
Review of L'oste scuro

L'oste scuro
Ranked #15 of 235 Restaurants in Acireale
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed September 23, 2012

Great place, great service, unique location and very good value. Might seem like a tourist trap because of its location, but it is not.
The food was good and plenty, especially the antipasti which seem to have no end. We went for dinner, four people, had two bottles of their local Murgo rose, anitpasti, pasta, deserts, and it was barely 100 euros.
Highly recommended.

There are newer reviews for L'oste scuro

Reviewed September 20, 2012

After reading reviews on Trip Advisor decided to dine there, and I now wonder if I am hard to please. Why it is number 1 leads me to fear that Acireale is a gastronomic wilderness.
The plus points:
Lovely location opposite the church.
The main man is very pleasant, and for the first time on ths trip a drink on the house (this is something I have often encountered in Italy but not in Acireale until tonight).
The house wine was acceptable.
The average points:
The service is ok, slow but they were not busy and I was in no hurry (if they were busy then it could be a problem)
The food is ok, nothing to shout about. The pasta stuffed with fish was acceptable, but lacked depth of flavour, the fish of the day was very nice and white and was allegedly cooked in the oven, but to me it was poached as it came in a broth, but it was meaty.
The bad points:
The atmosphere came from a party in the caffé next door. To my mind they need a young person to generate some live, but perhaps the age of the customers dictates the atmosphere. Do not want "disco fever" but something a bit more than feeling like I am waiting to be moved into the church for a funeral.
The chef appears every now and again to help with the serving. The statues on the church opposite have more personality - he should stay in the kitchen.
The grilled vegetables were bland and needed seasoning. There was a poor selection of courgette (2 slices) aubergine (2 slices) and a piece of radicchio.

At 40 euros for one person I feel that it is plenty given the overall experience.
Would I go back? Unlikely.

Reviewed September 18, 2012

Read about this place in Tripadvisor and we were not disappointed. We had the local fish and prawns with wonderful antipasti and a local red wine (Murgo). Service was brilliant as was the food. We had time to enjoy the food, relax and chat. Would definitely visit again. The reviews (positive ones) were spot on. Thanks to all who went before.

Reviewed September 14, 2012

Went to eat there the first night and I didn't even bother trying out any other restaurants the whole stay in Acireale.

Reviewed August 24, 2012

We ate twice in this restaurant and both times we were very happy withe the whole experience. Our first visit was at lunchtime when we ate inside and were treated with great hospitality and ate an exceptional antipasto. One of our party, who lived in Rome for 10 years, claimed it was the best he'd ever eaten! As previous reviewers have said, the free lemonade provided was delicious. We returned for a dinner and ate outside. This was also a very positive experience although we had to wait about 20 minutes for a table so booking is advisable. Despite its location (main street and opposite a beautiful church), which might make people think it is aimed at tourists, this is the real Italian experience. It is excellent value for money too.Do visit if you are in Acireale!