“Super value for families and children.”

Hotel & Residence Liscia Eldi
Ranked #12 of 27 Hotels in San Teodoro
Reviewed June 4, 2013

All round the facilites were great, tennis court, free Wifi, football enclosure, playground, amazing swimming pool. I was a little disappointed as there was no kettle or microwave but these are minor things as overall Liscia Eldi was ideal for our needs and budget. We travelled in a group of 3 families made up of 6 adults and 7 children, ages ranging from 6-13 yrs. They all had an amazing holiday. We booked three apartments\bugalows in a row facing the tennis court, football and playground which was perfect for adults to relax and watch the children doing their chosen activities. The resort was very quiet as the official season started the day we departed. Well done and thanks for a most memorable holiday.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank Anna72Fell

Reviewed June 2, 2013

We stayed at "Liscia Eldi" last week and had a great time.
3 families, 7 kids, and 6 big kids (3 couples) all thoroughly enjoyed our stay there and would recommend it to most people, especially families.
The location is great, the accomodation is good (better than expected, though I would recommend the apartments for 6 even if you don't need all the beds as they are roomy and cost little extra) and the site facilities excellent, ie, swimming pool, tennis, all-weather football court, etc. The location of the holiday vilage is great.
We went when the holiday village was relatively quiet (half-term hols at end of May 2013), and would probably choose this time of year again as these facilities may be over-crowded if the site was full.
The on-site pizzaria was good, though we thought the restauarant was pricey. The staff were extremely helpful, and the kids' team seemed lovely too.
The local beaches were breath-taking, especially the very close-bu L'Issuelda and La Brandichi /L'Impostu (15 minutes by car). Brandinchi is one of THE most beautiful places I think I have ever seen, and so unspoilt/natural.
You can walk into San Teodora (another delightful find) in 15 minutes which we did most evenings, and we found some lovely restaurants and shops there. Taxi's expensive!
A great family holiday, and a wonderful place to be based at LISCIS ELDI......TimF (UK)

Room Tip: We took the APARTMENT FOR 6 even though we were a 4.....mezzanine bedroom is lovely and gives extra...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank TimF67
Reviewed September 17, 2012

My boyfriend and I booked our holiday to Sardinia and Liscia Eldi appeared to be a good deal cheaper than other hotels. Inc flights we paid £400 each. We liked the idea of self-catering so that we could sort our own breakfast/lunch and just go out for dinner.

On arrival, the receptionist seemed pleasant and was very informative about the hotel. When it came to paying, she informed us that as well as the cost that had been given upon booking, we also had to pay £35 each for a wrist band that indicated to hotel staff that we were able to use the facilities (I'm used to wearing a wrist band on an 'all inc' holiday but have never had to when staying self-catering).... This did annoy me as although £35 doesn't seem a lot, when you're on a budget, that could pay for a meal out, and as far as I'm aware, customers aren't informed of this on the website or upon booking. It just seems a bit of a scam to me as once you've arrived you don't have a choice but to pay and really, the use of facilities should all be included in the holiday cost.

We weren't expecting the room to be amazing due to the price we had paid but it really was quite small and badly equipped. The 'kitchen' area was just a sink, two hob rings and a couple of cupboards with utensils etc. There was also a broken fridge in this area and an additional working fridge on the other side of the room, this kind of thing annoys me as it really wouldn't take much effort for them to remove the broken fridge. The bathroom was tiny and the shower cubicle was uncomfortably small. We are both average sized people and we struggled to wash in there as it was easy to accidentally nudge the temperature leaver which if turned to the hottest was so hot it would scald so could be pretty dangerous. I would imagine a larger person just wouldn't be able to get into the shower. Also there was a very old fashioned hair dryer attached to the wall in the bathroom which I attempted to use once but quickly realised it was so ineffective that it would have taken 6hrs to dry my hair! Final negative point about the accommodation is that it was not clean enough for my standards. There were a couple of hairs on the bathroom tiles when we arrived and when I dropped something under the bed I saw that it the floor under there can't have been cleaned for a long time.

Positives about the accommodation: the bed was large & comfortable, and there was sufficient storage. Also being on the ground floor with a terrace instead of balcony was nice.

Regarding the rest of the hotel, (which it may be useful to mention is on huge grounds with lots of winding paths so easy to get lost) the swimming pool was nice although a large part of it was very deep, and there were always lots of sunbeds available. I did find it annoying that between 12-3 they put a sign up to say the actual pool is closed and the receptionist explained that this is because they don't have a lifeguard between those times. However a few guests and myself ignored those signs and went in the pool anyway seeing as it was the hottest part of the day. Staff must have been aware of this and I realise they put the sign up just to cover themselves re not having a lifeguard.

We did not use the hotel restaurant partly because on our arrival, the receptionist told us that to pay for a meal in there, you had to load some money onto a white card and use that to pay as the restaurant does not handle cash (this doesn't make sense as the pizzeria and bar next door DO take cash), she went on to say that if you have money left on your card at the end of your stay, depending on which staff you speak to, you may or may not get your money back! This just seemed ridiculous.

We did eat in the pizzeria on one occasion and that was nice enough. It was slightly annoying that although we were told it is open for lunch and dinner, a couple of times we wished to order there again, it was closed with no explanation.

We did buy some food in the hotel shop to eat in our room but weren't always confident that the 'fresh' produce was particularly fresh.

The hotel website informs that there is a beach within walking distance and the receptionist also gave directions to the 'white sandy beach', however it was a little disappointing as the beach wasn't that nice and there were pebbles for quite a way out into the sea so you would need to wear shoes, we decided to head back to the pool. On our first day we used the hotel shuttle bus that goes to the local 'La Cinta' beach and this was lovely with turquoise sea and plenty of sunbeds to hire.

Location of hotel: It is apparently only 1.5k to the town but it is not a very easy walk in the heat as its very desolate and hilly so we only did it once. The only other way to travel to town is by taxi which is €8 each way (booked through reception).... Again this adds up if you want to travel into town every day/night. The location may be perfect for some people and the surroundings are very pretty but as a young couple we would have liked to have been able to get around a bit more, with hindsight things would have been easier with a hire car.

I know this seems to be a very negative review and despite all we did actually have a nice holiday, San Teodoro is a lovely little town and not full of British tourists (which is a bonus for me), it seems to be a popular destination for people from mainland Italy and we noticed a few Germans too. We ended up sticking to two lovely restaurants (one being 'Da Nardino' as had one bad experience when experimenting with another and didn't want to risk that again. Most of the dishes on offer are seafood (and obviously, everywhere does pizza!), which is great if you love seafood which we do but I wouldn't recommend if you're not keen. We were surprised at how good the prices are too, we had been warned that it is really expensive to eat out in Sardinia but we found it to be really good value for money.

In conclusion; I felt a little disappointed as the hotel seemed to have mostly good reviews on here but I did find the issues of having to pay extra on arrival and the white card to pay in the restaurant (& only getting any left over credit back if you speak to the 'right person') very cheeky. I also think it wouldn't take a lot to improve the accommodation slightly by ensuring it is clean and updating it a bit.

But, as mentioned previously, the pool area was nice, San Teodoro town is lovely and the surrounding countryside is beautiful so we were able to enjoy our holiday despite the disappointment of the hotel.

This is obviously just our opinion and everyone has different standards and expectations when booking a holiday but I hope this review is useful.

• Stayed: September 2012
8  Thank Demelza D
Reviewed September 14, 2012

There's a hidden charge of 35 Euros per person on arrival, which entitles you to wear a wrist band for the duration of your stay. The only benefit of this is to identify you as entitled to use the "free" bus service to La Cinta beach (which runs every 30 minutes).

There's also a 50 Euro deposit for the safe key and the TV remote control.

The wifi didn't work in our room.

The shower was TINY. We literally had to step into it sideways through the 35cm door opening, then once inside it was like being in an upright coffin. The lever which controls the pressure and temperature sticks out into the precious space so you have to be very careful not to nudge it when washing and give yourself either a cold shock or far worse, scald yourself - when turned fully the hot water gets close to boiling point. I would be extremely wary of letting a child shower in there.

The room was very basic. No English TV channels from the 14 inch portable TV, no air con, but the ceiling fan was just about adequate in September. The hair dryer was from the 70's and my girlfriend assured me it was so feeble it wasn't worth using, and the electric hob took about 10 minutes to get the aforementioned scalding hot water up to boiling point when I boiled some eggs. The crockery and cutlery in the room was poor.

You cannot pay cash at the on site restaurant. Instead you have to deposit cash onto a card at reception and use the card. Officially they say that they will NOT refund any money left on the card at the end of your stay, but verbally I was told by reception that they might refund a small amount. We refused to do so on principal and so I can't comment on the food.

There's a small shop for groceries which also has a small deli counter, but generally we were disappointed with the selection of food.

The on site Pizzeria (which we'd come to rely on for 'breakfast' when it opened at 12:30) was closed on Monday and Tuesday afternoon (at least). And considering that just about every restaurant in San Teodoro is a Pizzeria we became a little frustrated at the lack of food variety. I love pizza, pasta and seafood but I quickly had enough pizza and pasta, and the only fish options seem to be sea bream or sea bass.

The bar serves a small selection of sandwiches (dry bread and ham so thin it's transparent) and coissants but generally speaking the lack of decent food options when self-catering was a big disappointment. There are no other nearby shops as an alternative.

The location of Liscia Eldi (which is a huge village type resort, your room could easily be 5+ minutes from reception) is at least a 20 minute hilly walk from central San Teodoro, and in the heat of summer you may not want to start your evening that way. Also the road is unlit so it's a little dangerous to walk in the dark. The alternative is an 8 Euro (before 11pm, 13 Euros after) taxi, which reception will arrange for you. 21 Euros a day soon adds up...

The beach close to Liscia Eldi isn't nice. The sand has lots of pebbles and shell fragments and it's generally rocky and ugly.

There is no taxi rank in San Teodoro. You will have to either pre-book your return journey or call the taxi firm yourself, and they do not speak much English.

Only the reception staff speak good English, which I feel a little uneasy complaining about - it's Sardinia after all - but I was expecting a basic understanding of English from the shop and bar staff. However the vast majority of guests are Italian, and that's the case throughout the resort so maybe I should've learned a few Italian phrases rather than going there and expecting them to talk my language...

I would describe Liscia Eldi as a resort for Italian families. I was surprised at how many entertainment staff there are. The cheesy euro-pop playing loudly by the pool all day while they did aqua-aerobics etc (except 12:30 till 3pm when they 'close' the pool due to lifeguards and everyone else taking a riposo/siesta) wasn't my cup of tea.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Neil P
Reviewed August 1, 2012

I personally didn't know what to expect from the island and especially the resort, but all my dreams came true as I arrived at the Liscia Eldi. The resort is simply breathtaking, it feels like traveling back in time during the Roman Empire age. The bungalows are perfectly taken care of, all of them having a somehow historical look that giving the resort a magical vibe. A big thank you to all the staff especially at the reception the kitchen and the Caretakers that showed much care and always helped when needed. The half board deal was very satisfactory and at a good price, as the food was simply DELICIOUS! I will definitely come back! Thank you guys once again!

J.B.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are worth the price!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 23, 2012

We just came back from a holiday in Sardinia. Tempted by the stunning images of Liscia Eldi we got tricked into booking a two week holiday for our family of 4 (kids of 6 and 10) in that residence. House: charming from outside but dirty and badly maintained inside, restaurant: extremly basic and not welcoming, resort facilities: again very badly maintained and dilapidating, the place looks like nobody is taking care of it. Positive elements: 1) poolside area very well adjusted to the needs of small kids (very big pool), 2) the animation staff trying their best to bring this place to life, 3) location (very close to the nicest San Teodoro beaches).
All in all a resort not to recommend unfortunately. What a shame. It could be such a successful place.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Aleksandra S
toscanaGianni, Direttore at Hotel & Residence Liscia Eldi, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2012

dear Aleks,
we feel sorry about your comments; we can assure there are lots of people taking care every day of our resort and all the staff is very careful with our guests and their needs. We would be glad if you will give us more details with a private e-mail to reservation@lisciaeldi.com (apartment number, f.i).
As for the restaurant, we accept your critic, but we would like also to inform you we receive dayly lots of very good comments by italian and foreign guests for kitchen and for service of our kitchen and restaurant staff .
However your comments are very helpful for us since guests comments are the best way to improve our service.
Regards

Reviewed July 7, 2012

We were on holiday at the beginning of July 2012, 2 adults and a girl of 3. The main characteristic of this fabulous place is the sensation of freedom you live since the very start. It's like being in your own villa in front of the sea but with a kick! There is animation at night for kids and for us, the food is awesome and the personnel very attentive to our needs. We highly recommend this place!

• Stayed: July 2012